Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,113 members, 7,821,826 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 07:34 PM

I Feel Like I Wasted My Time On Education - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / I Feel Like I Wasted My Time On Education (31983 Views)

I Feel Depressed With A CGPA Of 4.2+ / I Wasted A Lot Of Time On The Internet - Lady Cries On Quora / Nigeria Has The Lowest Budget On Education, Here Are The Statistics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Feel Like I Wasted My Time On Education by Alusiizizi(m): 10:20am On Apr 14, 2022
shogsman:
I'm in my early 30s, I've got a bsc in sociology, a master's degree in statistics and like a dozen other professional degrees in human resource management, gerentology, demography, financial risk management, oil and gas services, pmp and so on.

Infact I'm basically one of the most educated individuals I've met. The sad part is I've never made a cent off my educational qualifications.
Heck I work in a totally different industry and make a good living which I'm definitely not going to trade for social work or psychology, so this past few days I get myself thinking what a waste of Time and resources that was, I literarily spent millions on my education, even relocating abroad to study but it was all a goddamn waste of time, all I got is a useless paper I'm never going to use.

My advice to young ones out there is to set your goals right and stupid untraditional ideas is better than no ideas. You don't necessarily have to pursue a degree to be okay in life.

Your problem is that you mistook the distinction of "professional student" for an actual carreer description which it is definitely not, and btw there are no traditional ideals that promote professional students as a carreer option in any way. Stop deceiving young people into believing that a degree is unnecessary, you do much more harm than good, especially given our embattled educational system here in Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: I Feel Like I Wasted My Time On Education by orikoku: 10:21am On Apr 14, 2022
That's how it is. Education is over rated in Nigeria. As a graduate, I ride okada for a living.
Re: I Feel Like I Wasted My Time On Education by matm: 10:21am On Apr 14, 2022
That's feeling.Feeling is not reliable and can change any moment.
Re: I Feel Like I Wasted My Time On Education by NairaMaster1(m): 10:22am On Apr 14, 2022
shogsman:
I'm in my early 30s, I've got a bsc in sociology, a master's degree in statistics and like a dozen other professional degrees in human resource management, gerentology, demography, financial risk management, oil and gas services, pmp and so on.

Infact I'm basically one of the most educated individuals I've met. The sad part is I've never made a cent off my educational qualifications.
Heck I work in a totally different industry and make a good living which I'm definitely not going to trade for social work or psychology, so this past few days I get myself thinking what a waste of Time and resources that was, I literarily spent millions on my education, even relocating abroad to study but it was all a goddamn waste of time, all I got is a useless paper I'm never going to use.

My advice to young ones out there is to set your goals right and stupid untraditional ideas is better than no ideas. You don't necessarily have to pursue a degree to be okay in life.

You will also agree with me that, your series of education has made you a better individual as you will always fit in when the opportunity knocks.

I advice young men to aquire more degrees if they have the means (time and money) to do so.

I have:

1. ND SLT
2. HND SLT
3. B.Sc Public Health
4. B.Pharm
5. PGDM
6. MBA (General Mgt)
7. M.Pharm in view

I will never regret these.

4 Likes

Re: I Feel Like I Wasted My Time On Education by Alusiizizi(m): 10:23am On Apr 14, 2022
MP3GAGAdotCOM:
First of all,
Are you a lover of yourself or A Lover of Christ? You seem to be too proud of ur achievements.
Lemme tell you the truth, without JESUS CHRIST in your life, all those certificates will be tissue papers in no distant time.
We have seen PhD holders lobbying to be dangote's truck driver, very pathetic.

Just sit tight, the country will help you understand better.

Where are those PhD holders? Name one or stop making up stories.

3 Likes

Re: I Feel Like I Wasted My Time On Education by Angelfrost(m): 10:23am On Apr 14, 2022
Well, an education is supposed to make you useful to yourself and society.

The real question now is, what was your purpose learning all those??! If they truly align with your goals in life we won't be on this thread counseling you.

I sense you haven't even found your purpose for being on God's green Earth! Once you find that purpose, everything else including education and certifications will be targeted towards fulfilling it... There lies life fulfilment!

So Op, sit down, breathe, and find your path in life!

Young people ought to have found this even before applying for a tertiary education! If your path requires you to put off tertiary learning, then go for it! Bill Gates, Zuckerberg, etc, did that and still succeeded.

1 Like

Re: I Feel Like I Wasted My Time On Education by mrksquare: 10:25am On Apr 14, 2022
shogsman:

My cousin who is a drop out earns 5 times my salary. I have resolved that the two degree I have is enough. Ain't going back to any school in the foreseeable future. One thing I have also come to realize, having sufficient quid isn't a function of the number of degree one posesses. It is by the grace of God.

3 Likes

Re: I Feel Like I Wasted My Time On Education by berbs: 10:27am On Apr 14, 2022
MP3GAGAdotCOM:
First of all,
Are you a lover of yourself or A Lover of Christ? You seem to be too proud of ur achievements.
Lemme tell you the truth, without JESUS CHRIST in your life, all those certificates will be tissue papers in no distant time.

Abeg, gettat.

1 Like

Re: I Feel Like I Wasted My Time On Education by Prettychild(f): 10:30am On Apr 14, 2022
MP3GAGAdotCOM:
First of all,

Oga, there is no pride in what he just said. He is talking out of frustration and you are calling it pride. Is it because he mentioned different degrees that probably with due respect that you don’t have? SMH! Haba! We should learn to help people that are already feeling frustrated with encouraging words and not the other way round

1 Like

Re: I Feel Like I Wasted My Time On Education by jaxxy(m): 10:31am On Apr 14, 2022
shogsman:

I'm more concerned about how u discovered ur current field or business sector as that is the major point to take from here not the erroneous assumption ur past education and certificates are useless.

Some our passion or strengths take us in a totally different direction to what we studied because we didn't realise our passion or strengths untime.
Re: I Feel Like I Wasted My Time On Education by CountVersailles(f): 10:39am On Apr 14, 2022
shogsman:

The very reason you think your education was a waste is the same reason you have not been able to make any substantial off it. Think about that.

1 Like

Re: I Feel Like I Wasted My Time On Education by Gentlerespect76: 10:40am On Apr 14, 2022
shogsman:

I am not intending to antagonize you in any sense. But i have a knack for sharing my thoughts on any issue. As it were, I can tell the reason why you've never been employed based on the certificates you acquired. Reason: You had a degree in Sociology, then a Master's in Statistics. In Education, it's a misnomer. No one will employ you for having this two exact certificates. Perhaps someone would for Sociology, but not for a combination of Sociology degree and Master's in Statistics. With this twin degrees where had you hoped to work?

Your sure bet was to seek employment based on your first degree. Desirous of further skills then on the job you push for those ones related to your professional development. By doing that your certificates could enhance your professional development.

The most unfortunate thing I have observed through the years is that many people are not guided on the career prospects of courses. Someone in the UK would be okay with those qualifications, but not someone in Nigeria (I may be wrong to assume you are in Nigeria, however). But if you had done a Master's in Sociology or in any related field such as Criminology, Strategic Studies, Social Works etc, you career path would have shone brightly.
Final word: Those certificates can't be useless; they are a proof of your education and your education is what has guaranteed you any success that today you can boast of achieving.

2 Likes

Re: I Feel Like I Wasted My Time On Education by bluefilm: 10:42am On Apr 14, 2022
shogsman:

I am assuming you studied in a public Nigerian Higher Institution, right?

If that's the case, then you really wasted your time... most especially if you discover that all you now have to show for all those education are your certificates and no sellable skills at all.

Don't worry.

You are not alone.
Re: I Feel Like I Wasted My Time On Education by Trustedpronet: 10:44am On Apr 14, 2022
Go and do your PhD to complete the misery
Re: I Feel Like I Wasted My Time On Education by Ylink4sure: 10:50am On Apr 14, 2022
Trust me Sir, without those certificate of yours obtained from your educational toiling you wouldn't be enjoying the good living you presently enjoy. You may be a bus conductor or an illiterate artisan somewhere now,trust me!

shogsman:

Re: I Feel Like I Wasted My Time On Education by Focusmind: 10:50am On Apr 14, 2022
The problem with most educated/graduates is not knowing what to do with their qualifications.

With that your qualification, you are poised for a career in international NGOs, consulting and international agencies. The additional qualifications you got were not necessary. With your degree in sociology and masters in statistics, you should have developed more competence in SPSS, Data visualization, data analysis, TABULAR, Graphics design, Info-graphics and other statistical tools.

With this, you search for opportunities in monitoring and evaluation, program management, report writing and data management with UN agencies and INGOs. You should be able to know where your skills are needed.

3 Likes

Re: I Feel Like I Wasted My Time On Education by Greatguy02: 10:51am On Apr 14, 2022
Itohan22:
Don't be discouraged, better days are coming

I hate hearing this
Re: I Feel Like I Wasted My Time On Education by profudus(m): 10:52am On Apr 14, 2022
I don't know why people think it is only when they submit their degrees for a specific job that they make use of them. The paper issued at the end of a formal educational programme is just an evidence of attendance, but the knowledge, skills and experiences acquired in the process are domiciled in the individual, which could be put to use by the individual without the submission of the paper. I wish to tell you that even if your certificates were not submitted for your current job, you are actually making use of the creativity skill, critical thinking skill, analytical skill, technical skills, conceptual skill, communication skill, human relation skill, knowledge and experiences acquired in the course of acquiring those certificates in the current job. The process of acquiring those certificates has made you a better person. The modern purpose of education is not to acquire certificates that will enable individuals to look for already-made jobs, but to acquire knowledge and skills that could make individuals create jobs for people and proffer solutions to mankind's problems. Are you saying that you did not acquire knowledge and skills in the course of acquiring those certificates? If so, it is an indirect indictment of the institutions and bodies that awarded you those degrees! Honestly, I think you have a wrong mind-set about education.

4 Likes

Re: I Feel Like I Wasted My Time On Education by medriano: 10:54am On Apr 14, 2022
shogsman:

Education is not all about making money and No, don’t have any regrets. You being educated is not a waste at all.
I smiled all through reading your post....well written. This is one thing that makes you different from the others.
Someday, your education will come through for you, open doors you never expected and many more “goodies” and you’ll be proud of you. Go mark this date.
Re: I Feel Like I Wasted My Time On Education by etimism1981: 10:56am On Apr 14, 2022
Dont Miss Certificate as Part of Education but Knowledge. If you can have all these certifications and you are still complaining of waste of time it means you did not acquire knowledge but papers. Knowledge is meant to solve human problem and in return money comes in. And if your professional knowledge u acquire cant solve problem then go and drive Keke na Pepper. There you make more money because you solve instant problem of trekking

1 Like

Re: I Feel Like I Wasted My Time On Education by omohayek: 10:57am On Apr 14, 2022
MP3GAGAdotCOM:
First of all,

This is utter nonsense. Several billion Asians will attest to the irrelevance of such considerations in attaining success in life. It's irritating how so many Nigerians insist on injecting irrelevant religious proselytizing into every discussion.

3 Likes

Re: I Feel Like I Wasted My Time On Education by sulaak(m): 10:58am On Apr 14, 2022
It's obvious that you are a professional student. But your qualifications in Sociology- Statistics- Demography- Financial Risk Management is the foundation of a career in Data Science, Quantitative analysis and Risk Analysis, there are many free courses in Data Science on Youtube.

I will suggest you start a new career as Data Scientist or Risk Analyst, there are hundreds of jobs on Fiverr, Upwork and Toptal and the pay is extremely good.

2 Likes

Re: I Feel Like I Wasted My Time On Education by omohayek: 11:00am On Apr 14, 2022
shogsman:

I have to question the value of all these "professional degrees" if you've been able to obtain more than a dozen of them (along with a Master's in statistics) while still in your early 30s. Which institutions did you earn them from? I wouldn't be surprised if they were degree mills, which would go a long way to explain their lack of practical value (besides your clear lack of any real focus or personal passion).

1 Like

Re: I Feel Like I Wasted My Time On Education by Nobody: 11:07am On Apr 14, 2022
...hopefully they come handy someday.
Re: I Feel Like I Wasted My Time On Education by omohayek: 11:09am On Apr 14, 2022
sulaak:
It's obvious that you are a professional student. But your qualifications in Sociology- Statistics- Demography- Financial Risk Management is the foundation of a career in Data Science, Quantitative analysis and Risk Analysis, there are many free courses in Data Science on Youtube.

I will suggest you start a new career as Data Scientist or Risk Analyst, there are hundreds of jobs on Fiverr, Upwork and Toptal and the pay is extremely good.
Given the unfocused nature of the OP's interests, what will doing all of this achieve? And who exactly would be clamoring to hire someone who has neither a clear interest in the field I'm hiring for, nor any relevant experience to offer? If I were a recruiting manager for a company in need of data-scientists, I know I would rather have candidates with "just" 1 BA as long as they had extras like relevant internships, interesting personal projects and other indicators of real-world experience in successfully applying what they've learned, rather than take a risk on a "perpetual student" whose credentials have no rhyme or reason tying them together, other than an apparent hunger to make money by hook or by crook.

I know things like "passion" don't count for much in Nigeria, but for anyone looking to pick up data-science, programming or ML work on international platforms, it is absolutely vital, and most Nigerian graduates clearly don't have it, let alone "Jack of All Trade" types like the OP, who spend their years endlessly accumulating useless "degrees" from low-quality institutions.

2 Likes

Re: I Feel Like I Wasted My Time On Education by Roseey0(f): 11:11am On Apr 14, 2022
You lacked direction.

Thank God you finally found your feet.
Las las, you are doing well for yourself. That's all that is important
Re: I Feel Like I Wasted My Time On Education by CelestineNelson: 11:11am On Apr 14, 2022
ETHICALLYrlght:
Your academic history is quite muddled. It is an apt description of "Jack of All Trades and Master of None" and that appears to be your Achilles heel.

Sociology- Statistics- Demography- Financial Risk Management- Oil and Gas services etc are your academic certificates.

When I read your story I reasoned the compelling relationship between Sociology and Financial Risk management and I couldn't arrive at something substantial.

Your resume appears like that of a person who was told while choosing their career that their discipline does not matter if they have a certificate and sponsor.

The best practice is to hold unto one or two trades and make the best out of them, Good Luck.

Not far from the truth though
Re: I Feel Like I Wasted My Time On Education by Drparts: 11:14am On Apr 14, 2022
Last year I quit MBBS at 300 level not bkos I can't afford it or am not good moreover am one of the best in my sets ..NDU bayelsa but I quite when an opportunity comes up now am making half a million per month . Am thinking of enrlloing again for medical school next year. And my sets is still in 300 level now coupled with strike
Re: I Feel Like I Wasted My Time On Education by macof(m): 11:18am On Apr 14, 2022
shogsman:

That is because you were after paper not after the actual education.
And it's not your fault but the typical Nigerian environment encourages going to school just as an avenue to get a degree hoping for cash to start flowing in after rather than just getting educated and developing skills and self development

We need to set goals and map the path, failure to do so and the school or degrees we have can indeed be a waste of time

1 Like

Re: I Feel Like I Wasted My Time On Education by Rick9(m): 11:26am On Apr 14, 2022
My main aim of going to school was to be educated. You don't need to go to school to be Rich. But education opens certain doors for you.
Re: I Feel Like I Wasted My Time On Education by shogsman(m): 11:28am On Apr 14, 2022
froze6:

Have got a bsc in sociology too and this days am beginning to think other wise, because it's not even giving me what i want in the first place.
The funny thing about the course is that it's a very good course but my country shaa
If you're outside Nigeria you should toll the part of social work it's easy to get jobs with a soc degree in the west
Re: I Feel Like I Wasted My Time On Education by shogsman(m): 11:29am On Apr 14, 2022
Mariangeles:

You should have let your passion guide you.

What is your passion?
Entrepreneurship, but I've always had the inclination to lean towards getting more education not because I really wanted to but because I thought it was The first and Most important step to success,boy was I wrong

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

UNN Zoology Students Afraid To Carry Snakes During Practical Class (Video) / Nigerian Student Rescued After Being Trapped Between 2 Walls For 72 Hours / Female Children Are More Beneficial To The Family Than Male Children-oppose

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.