Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,864 members, 7,824,594 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:13 PM

Am I Going Too Far On This Decision? I Need An Advice! - Career (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Am I Going Too Far On This Decision? I Need An Advice! (28630 Views)

Pls Advice Me Like a father and Mother on this decision I want to take. / “only Those Who Will Risk Going Too Far…” (how Far Are You Willing To Go?). / From N10,000 Salary To Millionaire Pay: My Grace Filled Career Journey So Far. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Am I Going Too Far On This Decision? I Need An Advice! by Akhee: 2:51pm On Apr 17, 2022
VEXT:
Sack her instantly,very soon they will start that their Quranic reading in your shop....

A Muslim boss will never tolerate this rubbish you are tolerating..
No wonder you username na VEXT. Vex for Vexing, T for Trash.
Re: Am I Going Too Far On This Decision? I Need An Advice! by DeepSight(m): 2:51pm On Apr 17, 2022
dboY1123:
I have been on/off from my work(shop) for 2weeks now, I have this new worker who is a Muslim and I am a Christian, of course, I am not against her religion or anything, I still grant her the permission to attend mosque every Friday afternoon and I always try to be at shop by 2pm, or get someone to replace her..

Today I came to shop and the first thing I noticed was that she allowed one Alfa that I know very well, into the shop(she knows it is not allowed), my mind told me they were both reciting the Quran before I came in.

Secondly, she told me that she needs to pray (in the shop) that I should excuse her while I had to leave there and go outside..This has never been happening for 3 months she's been here..

Even myself being a Christian, I pray before coming to shop/work.

I wanted to tell her to stop praying in the shop because it is not a praying ground or mosque, should I go ahead?

I am not against her religion whatsoever, even she reads the Quran quietly in the shop and there's no issue about that.

DO NOT permit anyone to mix their religion with their work duties.
DO NOT permit anyone to sleep with an Alfa in the pretense of prayer.
DO NOT permit anyone to chase you out of your own business-space in order to sleep with an Alfa in your business-space.

3 Likes

Re: Am I Going Too Far On This Decision? I Need An Advice! by Sterope(f): 2:51pm On Apr 17, 2022
Hi dboY1123, please ignore the bigots in the comment section. Religion is a sensitive topic and many are too brazen to inconvenient others with their worship or are too quick to be bigots.

She is wrong to recite her prayers with a non employee at her workplace. Depending on the kind of business, her recitation can be done silently/and discreetly during downtime. For example if she is a store assistant, it won't affect her job performance but as a bank teller, it is not possible.

For her prayers, you can divide her breaks into two and use them for her prayers. What she did when she wanted to pray is wrong, you are right to offended. She shouldn't have done that. If there is a corner or inner space she can use for her prayers and you don't mind. You can let her use it. It will saves time going back and forth from the mosque if it is far. And frankly, it doesn't remove from you if she can be discreet and polite about her worship.

May God continue to bless you.

4 Likes

Re: Am I Going Too Far On This Decision? I Need An Advice! by salt1: 2:52pm On Apr 17, 2022
ednut1:
Is this in the north If yes be careful o

Please note this piece of advice
Re: Am I Going Too Far On This Decision? I Need An Advice! by Streett: 2:53pm On Apr 17, 2022
Re: Am I Going Too Far On This Decision? I Need An Advice! by 79733139(m): 2:53pm On Apr 17, 2022
Ask her to resign, employ a new person and set strict work rules.

You have already messed up with her, if you introduce new rules, she would sabotage your business.

dboY1123:
I have been on/off from my work(shop) for 2weeks now, I have this new worker who is a Muslim and I am a Christian, of course, I am not against her religion or anything, I still grant her the permission to attend mosque every Friday afternoon and I always try to be at shop by 2pm, or get someone to replace her..

Today I came to shop and the first thing I noticed was that she allowed one Alfa that I know very well, into the shop(she knows it is not allowed), my mind told me they were both reciting the Quran before I came in.

Secondly, she told me that she needs to pray (in the shop) that I should excuse her while I had to leave there and go outside..This has never been happening for 3 months she's been here..

I wanted to tell her to stop praying in the shop because it is not a praying ground or mosque, should I go ahead?

I am not against her religion whatsoever, even she reads the Quran quietly in the shop and there's no issue about that.

2 Likes

Re: Am I Going Too Far On This Decision? I Need An Advice! by Vicmareal: 2:54pm On Apr 17, 2022
You should have spelt out your "shop policy" which must, in any case, leave you fully in charge.
All I can ask you to do is *take charge* simple!
Re: Am I Going Too Far On This Decision? I Need An Advice! by DeepSight(m): 2:54pm On Apr 17, 2022
kernniejay:
You need to call her to sit and have a private talk with her. She is taking too far the freedom to practise her religious duties. She should have a set time for her prayers and any other time aside from the one you and her have agreed upon will not be acceptable.

For most Muslims "I want to pray" is a statement that can excuse almost anything in the world. In fact if they have just beheaded your child in front of you, they believe "I want to pray" is a get-out-of-jail-free-card that means everyone who hears that statement must immediately back off.

Muslims will routinely leave their desks at work no matter the urgency of what is before them on account that "I want to pray."
Its the height of irresponsible BS.

3 Likes

Re: Am I Going Too Far On This Decision? I Need An Advice! by Freelance363: 2:56pm On Apr 17, 2022
next,she will tell u when to come to shop because she is fasting. Better correct whatever anomaly u see now,before it gets out of hand.

2 Likes

Re: Am I Going Too Far On This Decision? I Need An Advice! by VEXT: 2:56pm On Apr 17, 2022
Akhee:
No wonder you username na VEXT. Vex for Vexing, T for Trash.

My bokoharam frd from minna

1 Like

Re: Am I Going Too Far On This Decision? I Need An Advice! by charlesditro: 2:57pm On Apr 17, 2022
dboY1123:

You are not a cow I would have called you a Malu......Even as a Christian na sentiment nai dey kill you so. No need for comparison on whether a Muslim would allow such from a Christian so you need just do you morally and just. Her praying habits is not you business, you business is your business so whenever you come to a business place act like it's multi million dollar extension of shell or NNPC.....am sure those guys don't care about this topic.

4 Likes

Re: Am I Going Too Far On This Decision? I Need An Advice! by CaptainFM1: 2:57pm On Apr 17, 2022
See, the job is not important to her. The job is secondary as far as her fanaticism is concerned. Please relieve her of her duty immediately.

3 Likes

Re: Am I Going Too Far On This Decision? I Need An Advice! by pepericozi: 3:03pm On Apr 17, 2022
[quote author=DispatcherLagos post=112004771]Hmmmmmmm.
Your employee asked you to leave your shop for her so that she can pray?

This is the beginning. Shortly, they will send you out of the shop to claim ownership.

Idiot. Your employee asked you to excuse her to enable her pray. You don't know that that is going to extreme.

3 Likes

Re: Am I Going Too Far On This Decision? I Need An Advice! by GloriousGbola: 3:05pm On Apr 17, 2022
DeepSight:

For most Muslims "I want to pray" is a statement that can excuse almost anything in the world. In fact if they have just beheaded your child in front of you, they believe "I want to pray" is a get-out-of-jail-free-card that means everyone who hears that statement must immediately back off.

Muslims will routinely leave their desks at work no matter the urgency of what is before them on account that "I want to pray."
Its the height of irresponsible BS.

How many Muslims have you actually worked with? And in what scenarios?
Re: Am I Going Too Far On This Decision? I Need An Advice! by We4all: 3:08pm On Apr 17, 2022
Praktikals:

Pls be very careful o. Those people can be very dangerous when it comes to religious matters.
My advice: Pretend as if you are not against it, then look for another ecxuse to disengage her

I swear, loud it. They may decide to burn his shop if he sacks her.
Re: Am I Going Too Far On This Decision? I Need An Advice! by DonroxyII: 3:08pm On Apr 17, 2022
dboY1123:

Freedom of Religion is Sancrosanct but it's Your shop. She is an employee thus You have every right to decide rules of engagement. If there is mosque around, she can go and pray there all you need to do is give her the liberty and agreed timeframe to come back. If there is no mosque give her the chance to look for a secluded place to perform her obligations towards her God, Almighty Allah(Swt, Azw).

If inside your shop is the only place, kindly allow her to serve her God and it's more beneficial to you too than a toxic employee and don't sack her in this hardtime except there is no compromise or a Fanatism is sensed.

Anyway, the only bad thing you could do is to stop her from observing Salaat that infringement on her rights to freedom of religion, she can sue You grin

I'm a Muslim anyway.
Re: Am I Going Too Far On This Decision? I Need An Advice! by toye440: 3:10pm On Apr 17, 2022
Na how dem take destroy 9ja be that. Always bringing religion into business.
I don't care if you're a Christian or Buddhist, if you can't abide by my rules, i simply connect you to your religious leaders, that way u will have more time for prayers while I make money.

3 Likes

Re: Am I Going Too Far On This Decision? I Need An Advice! by DonroxyII: 3:11pm On Apr 17, 2022
Sarsaproko:
Better fire her asś..

What's up with Africans and all these foreign religions...
On top all the religions, the country still jagajaga..

Nonsense and ingredients!
There is no foreign Religion. Whatsoever that will promote Peacefulness and Blissfulness coexistence among Humanities is not Foreign.
Re: Am I Going Too Far On This Decision? I Need An Advice! by funshint(m): 3:11pm On Apr 17, 2022
Don't worry she'll soon be your boss. What nonsense!

2 Likes

Re: Am I Going Too Far On This Decision? I Need An Advice! by Nobody: 3:12pm On Apr 17, 2022
IgweBUIKE1:
what kinda of senseless advice is this...she for go work for mosque na ...so she can pray all day ...prayer without works is zero

Chill sir.. something I noticed is that 70% of people on this page now are just children given the privilege to have a phone

My question to this same guy
Imagine you giving me a job in your business firm, and I come in the next day with my pastor telling you I have a special prayer to do. How will you feel

I’ve spent years in the north where Islam is with high esteem

From op’s story he never said he didn’t give her the space to go to the mosque.
What could prompt her to bring her private prayer partner. Abi her father in Islam to another person’s shop

1 Like

Re: Am I Going Too Far On This Decision? I Need An Advice! by Father4all: 3:14pm On Apr 17, 2022
IgweBUIKE1:
pls emplu her...as if you can take such nonsense
did I tell you I'm looking for an employee. You can running from reality.(Ad hominem)
Re: Am I Going Too Far On This Decision? I Need An Advice! by Nobody: 3:15pm On Apr 17, 2022
DonroxyII:
Freedom of Religion is Sancrosanct but it's Your shop. She is an employee thus You have every right to decide rules of engagement. If there is mosque around, she can go and pray there all you need to do is give her the liberty and agreed timeframe to come back. If there is no mosque give her the chance to look for a secluded place to perform her obligations towards her God, Almighty Allah(Swt, Azw).

If inside your shop is the only place, kindly allow her to serve her God and it's more beneficial to you too than a toxic employee and don't sack her in this hardtime except there is no compromise or a Fanatism is sensed.

Anyway, the only bad thing you could do is to stop her from observing Salaat that infringement on her rights to freedom of religion, she can sue You grin

I'm a Muslim anyway.

You made a meaningful point here brother man
But I’ll ask you will you allow me to come with my later to your place of work saying we have a special prayer to make while you excuse us
Re: Am I Going Too Far On This Decision? I Need An Advice! by akinrin: 3:17pm On Apr 17, 2022
I have an employee who is a Muslim. Very hardworking and responsible. I give her the free hand to go for prayers. However, she uses her discretion to determine when to go for prayers. She doesn't go when customers are present.

She doesn't ask me to excuse her for prayers or to attend to private matters.
I discuss issues with her from time to time. Especially late coming and customers ethics

I hope that helps.
Re: Am I Going Too Far On This Decision? I Need An Advice! by DeepSight(m): 3:18pm On Apr 17, 2022
GloriousGbola:

How many Muslims have you actually worked with? And in what scenarios?

Many - across several multinational companies: many non-Nigerian Muslims inclusive, mainly from other African countries and the Middle-East.

I was surprised, years ago, when I worked for a European Telecom company, to note that one of the meeting rooms in the office was converted into a make-shift mosque, strewn with prayer mats. I thought it was entirely unacceptable and unprofessional, but there was nothing anyone could do. The HR didnt want to "offend" Islam.
Re: Am I Going Too Far On This Decision? I Need An Advice! by membranus: 3:18pm On Apr 17, 2022
Father4all:
you are not a good person. Didn't you know she is a moslem before you employed her? You suppose know moslems pray 5 times daily. Abeg don't come her to disturb us. Go and employ a Christian. Hissss

Muslims in the bank where I worked did not pray 5 times a day. At least not in the banking hall when attending to impatient customers.

1 Like

Re: Am I Going Too Far On This Decision? I Need An Advice! by Clinghton: 3:21pm On Apr 17, 2022
This means she would ignore customers just to pray, I think she's taking it to far call her to order.

2 Likes

Re: Am I Going Too Far On This Decision? I Need An Advice! by TrebleChamp(m): 3:21pm On Apr 17, 2022
dboY1123:

If it is one of the five compulsory prayers, then she did nothing wrong. The prayer is not more than 10minutes, and It is better she pray in the shop that continue going to mosque every now and then...
Re: Am I Going Too Far On This Decision? I Need An Advice! by ayenale1(m): 3:21pm On Apr 17, 2022
By next week she would have collected that shop...ise ti dahun on ur head for her to have the guts to tell u to excuse her that she wants to pray...u need oyedepo and baba Adeboye for deliverance

2 Likes

Re: Am I Going Too Far On This Decision? I Need An Advice! by Anakazo22: 3:22pm On Apr 17, 2022
dboY1123:

Oga what do you think you are doing, this is the Issue when you give some people certain privilege, an employee asking his employer to leave his own shop because she wants to pray, Kai my guy you Bleep up, very soon they will turn your shop to mosque, can a Christian sister try this act with a Muslim boss. You better tell her to stop such nonsense in your shop.
NB am not against her religion or telling you to stop her from going to the mosque but she should not do such in your shop period.

1 Like

Re: Am I Going Too Far On This Decision? I Need An Advice! by membranus: 3:22pm On Apr 17, 2022
DeepSight:

Many - across several multinationals companies: many non-Nigerian Muslims inclusive, mainly from other African countries and the Middle-East.

I was surprised, years ago, when I worked for a European Telecom company, to note that one of the meeting rooms in the office was converted into a make-shift mosque, strewn with prayer mats. I thought it was entirely unacceptable and unprofessional, but there was nothing anyone could do. The HR didnt want to "offend" Islam.

Anybody can tell any stupid lie to justify any stupid pronouncement in a faceless platform like this.

So mister, your assertion is incredulous.

1 Like

Re: Am I Going Too Far On This Decision? I Need An Advice! by JONSYN7154: 3:24pm On Apr 17, 2022
dboY1123:

Nothing.. She said I want to pray, meaning please excuse me.
Very now now, not very soon o, they'll take over your shop.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Ecobank Nigeria Salary Scale: How Much Does Ecobank Pay Their Staff? / Dangote Oil Refinery: Graduate Engineer Trainees Return After Overseas Training / Pharmacy Vs Nursing!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.