Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,442 members, 7,816,008 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:27 PM

My Father Dragging My Mom's Property With Me, how the Issue Was Resolved - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / My Father Dragging My Mom's Property With Me, how the Issue Was Resolved (30281 Views)

My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me / I Am 20 And My Mom Wants To Throw Me Out. / Help: My Father Is Killing My Mom Gradually (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Father Dragging My Mom's Property With Me, how the Issue Was Resolved by GraciousGod190: 3:33pm On Apr 18, 2022
Mariangeles:

It is not.

Think about it deeply;
In whose family name are the properties? Your mother's right?
Will you be allowed to pass them down to your children(in your father's name), and your children to their children and so on like that?
Offcus yes
Are you nigeria or Chinese? You don't see people owing property's in some families but bears entirely different surname of that family?
It's their right, as long they have related blood ties same with their future kids.
The blood ties are there, the link is there..it's not always about the surname.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Father Dragging My Mom's Property With Me, how the Issue Was Resolved by Mariangeles(f): 3:36pm On Apr 18, 2022
[s]
KiNg0G:

You asked a question an insane individual won't ask.
What does that make you
[/s]

Just say you're too dumb to understand them.

1 Like

Re: My Father Dragging My Mom's Property With Me, how the Issue Was Resolved by Mariangeles(f): 3:39pm On Apr 18, 2022
GraciousGod190:

Offcus yes
Are you nigeria or Chinese? You don't see people owing property's in some families but bears entirely different surname of that family?
It's their right, as long they have related blood ties same with their future kids.
The blood ties are there, the link is there..it's not always about the surname.

The reason why I'm asking is 'cause in Igbo culture, things are done differently.

A married woman cannot keep an ancestral property from her father's family.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: My Father Dragging My Mom's Property With Me, how the Issue Was Resolved by GraciousGod190: 3:43pm On Apr 18, 2022
Mariangeles:

The reason why I'm asking is 'cause in Igbo culture, things are done differently.

A married woman cannot keep an ancestral property from her father's family.
Well am not igbo, custom's and traditions varies.
southerners don't behave that way..... you can inherit property as far your great grand mother's side through your mother.

7 Likes

Re: My Father Dragging My Mom's Property With Me, how the Issue Was Resolved by Kobojunkie: 3:44pm On Apr 18, 2022
Mariangeles:

A married woman cannot keep an ancestral property from her father's family
What? undecided

Your women are being ripped off by these traditions you cling to then. undecided

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Father Dragging My Mom's Property With Me, how the Issue Was Resolved by Efewestern: 3:44pm On Apr 18, 2022
princeeze1:

What I stated is an unemotional and unbiased statement of the law. So long the properties belong to her mother legally. It becomes transferable to his father because she died intestate. Carefully read this screenshot to the end. You will see that your customs will not be regarded if it becomes a litigation. It says the law will take preeminence over any customary law. Mind you, I am not in support of his father’s actions, as it’s shameful in itself.

The property belongs to the entire Family and are typically registered under it's name... a part was given to everyone including OP's mother and since she is resting in the lord, her inheritance falls to her offsprings which the entire family acknowledge as their own. In the absence of no kids, the family redistribute the properties to other blood relatives. Infact, you can't tussle things out without fighting the entire family.

There is no legal way you can argue this. Family property belongs to the family.

6 Likes

Re: My Father Dragging My Mom's Property With Me, how the Issue Was Resolved by Spherical77(m): 3:48pm On Apr 18, 2022
immortalcrown:
You are the one who did not read at all. Your argument in your first post is the property belongs to you and not to your father. I said here that the kindred did not say the property belongs to you.

Our major argument was about who between you and your father has more right over the property. You claimed you have more rights over the property. Now, your kindred does not support that claim of yours. Your kindred only condemned the idea of selling the property. And I myself also condemned the idea of selling the property.
you lack comprehension. This simple piece you couldn't digest.

2 Likes

Re: My Father Dragging My Mom's Property With Me, how the Issue Was Resolved by Mariangeles(f): 3:49pm On Apr 18, 2022
Kobojunkie:
What? undecided

Your women are being ripped off by these traditions you cling to then. undecided

In Igbo land, we try to avoid confusion like the one op and his father are caught up in.
Everything is done orderly.
A man's inheritance belong to his wife as well.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Father Dragging My Mom's Property With Me, how the Issue Was Resolved by immortalcrown(m): 3:49pm On Apr 18, 2022
Spherical77:
you lack comprehension. This simple piece you couldn't digest.
Point out how I lack comprehension. I am not perfect. I will take correction if you prove your claim. But if you do not prove it, you are the one that lacks comprehension.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Father Dragging My Mom's Property With Me, how the Issue Was Resolved by Kobojunkie: 3:50pm On Apr 18, 2022
undecided
Re: My Father Dragging My Mom's Property With Me, how the Issue Was Resolved by Efewestern: 3:52pm On Apr 18, 2022
bukatyne:

@bold:

Interesting.

Is this your cultural practice or obtainable for all ancestral land?

Yes. It's obtainable for all ancestral lands. Wether male or female, Lands are distributed equally to all offsprings. It passes down from a Father/Mother to his/her Sons/Daughters and so on.

Culturally, you can't even cheat a woman when it comes to ancestral properties, her interest and that of her children is very well protected.

5 Likes

Re: My Father Dragging My Mom's Property With Me, how the Issue Was Resolved by Kobojunkie: 3:52pm On Apr 18, 2022
Mariangeles:

In Igbo land, we try to avoid confusion like the one op and his father are caught up in.
Everything is done orderly.
A man's inheritance belong to his wife as well.
Yet in the vast majority of cases in the same Igboland, the husband's relatives are known to take possession of husband's property even before his body is cold in the ground?. undecided

6 Likes

Re: My Father Dragging My Mom's Property With Me, how the Issue Was Resolved by Mariangeles(f): 3:55pm On Apr 18, 2022
Kobojunkie:
Yet in the vast majority of cases in the same Igboland, the husband's relatives are known to take possession of husband's property even before his body is cold in the ground?. undecided

Those who do that, do them out of greed.

The properties rightfully belong to the widow and her children.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Father Dragging My Mom's Property With Me, how the Issue Was Resolved by Efewestern: 3:56pm On Apr 18, 2022
Mariangeles:
So, what will happen to those lands/properties eventually?
Will you return them to your mother's ancestral home, or will you become part of your mother's family to keep them?
Wouldn't you have to bear your mother's family name to keep them (in the family)?

You are automatically a member of your mom's family the moment she gave birth to you and everything accrued to that family must be shared to you.

You don't need to change your surname. Once the family knows you are a child of their sister, they give you what's due to you. No one, I repeat, no one can cheat you out.

Urhobo culture is beautiful.

9 Likes

Re: My Father Dragging My Mom's Property With Me, how the Issue Was Resolved by Kobojunkie: 3:58pm On Apr 18, 2022
Mariangeles:
Those who do that, do them out of greed.

The properties rightfully belong to the widow and her children.
I still think women are stiffed by those traditions since they fail to protect in way too many cases of what you call greed. undecided

Even as I kid, I heard way too many stories of widows being thrown out on the streets by relatives abeg, and only a handful ever resolved at the end of the day. undecided

3 Likes

Re: My Father Dragging My Mom's Property With Me, how the Issue Was Resolved by Nobody: 4:00pm On Apr 18, 2022
Efewestern:

The property belongs to the entire Family and are typically registered under it's name... a part was given to everyone including OP's mother and since she is resting in the lord, her inheritance falls to her offsprings which the entire family acknowledge as their own. In the absence of no kids, the family redistribute the properties to other blood relatives. Infact, you can't tussle things out without fighting the entire family.

There is no legal way you can argue this. Family property belongs to the family.
It means you did not read what Op said. He said ”my mom’s properties pass down to her by her parents and even grand parents”. He never in any way insinuated it was family properties. He even in the original thread stated that his mother’s family initially tried to encroach but backed out because he was in the fray. We have ancestral or family lands belonging to all extended family. It is different from what a parent particularly acquired and passed down to his child, male/female.

4 Likes

Re: My Father Dragging My Mom's Property With Me, how the Issue Was Resolved by KingOfAllIgbos: 4:05pm On Apr 18, 2022
grin

2 useless grown men fighting over a woman's properties.

Maybe you both should work harder to acquire yours instead of reporting & disgracing yourselves.

Like Father... Like Son.

" I took my son to court over my wife's father's buildings"

" I reported and disgraced my dad over my mother's father's property. "

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Father Dragging My Mom's Property With Me, how the Issue Was Resolved by Trojan8(m): 4:08pm On Apr 18, 2022
immortalcrown:
I have been vindicated once again. The kindred only cautioned your father not to sell the property because the kindred's tradition does not permit the selling of such property. But the kindred did not say you have more right than your father over the property.

Your argument was the property is your right. I told you your father owns the property. I said he owns the property despite the fact that his attempt to sell the property is bad. Fools disagreed with me.

You would have thought Op came with any legal backing to prove it belongs to him. Nothing! Just normal reprimand that centers on human sentiments.

2 Likes

Re: My Father Dragging My Mom's Property With Me, how the Issue Was Resolved by COdeGenesis: 4:10pm On Apr 18, 2022
Last last you and your papa go lose the land to your family members

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Father Dragging My Mom's Property With Me, how the Issue Was Resolved by loadedvibes: 4:10pm On Apr 18, 2022
You are in the right op.. your dad doesn't have rights to any inherited property by your mother.. if she built when she was alive then he could maybe have a say not inherited.. you did good but I suspect things with him won't be smooth hence forth

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Father Dragging My Mom's Property With Me, how the Issue Was Resolved by Nobody: 4:11pm On Apr 18, 2022
GraciousGod190:
https://www.nairaland.com/7080619/father-dragging-moms-property-me

Reading all the abuses I got from nairaland, from fellow nairalanders calling me a bastard, ungrateful son all because I was fighting for what was right and not material things.

My mom before she left us, the properties were passed down to her from her parents,(which some they inherited from their Grandparents) she didn't really have to do nothing a full time house wife.. because only the house rents alone she receives from tenants a year from different buildings kept her okay.... some were used for my education, I was made to understand here on nairaland that those properties belong more to my dad, so he can sell it out any way he deem fit... since he married her,. Even though they are ancestral properties.

But, I still don't agree....

So I reported my father to the most senior man in my mother's kindreds, from her father side. I went there on Saturday evening and narrated everything to him...the first thing he said was

YOUR FATHER NOR FIT (in our native language)

He was so angry that he had to call another man and told him everything on the phone, I went back to my house..... and got a call Sunday afternoon to come back around, to my surprise I saw my father there with lots of extended family members and they gave him a stern warning not to try anything funny with those lands.

That our trybe don't sell family lands, house.. inherited property.. that what even gave him the right to think about doing something like that in law for that matter... while my mom has a son...they even said I as the son can't even sell those lands talkless my father.

They ask him, if it was financial issue that gave him that thinking, at first he wanted to deny about selling before he admitted it...my father is not poor, a retired nnpc staff receiving his pension steadily.....he just likes having a lot of money to spend anyhow.... and seeing those lands available he thought he could sell them... but the family proved him wrong and there's nothing he can do about it.

I haven't called my mother kindreds from my my mother side, still observing.. while we Left the meeting, my dad was cold all through..I know he must have narrated to some of his educated friends..let's see if he will take this to court.

This doesn't have nothing to do with me again, but with my mothers kindreds.

Read your original story, nice to see that you have sorted it out.

But oga, please...get it on document that it is now your property. Get it on document.

1 Like

Re: My Father Dragging My Mom's Property With Me, how the Issue Was Resolved by Efewestern: 4:11pm On Apr 18, 2022
princeeze1:

It means you did not read what Op said. He said ”my mom’s properties pass down to her by her parents and even grand parents”. He never in any way insinuated it was family properties. He even in the original thread stated that his mother’s family initially tried to encroach but backed out because he was in the fray. We have ancestral or family lands belonging to all extended family. It is different from what a parent particularly acquired and passed down to his child, male/female.

The OP has always said ancestral land in involved. Didn't you read the part he said his uncle can't even sell his portion because it was inherited? These lands were inherited from their forebears, making it a family property only accessible to blood relatives.

6 Likes

Re: My Father Dragging My Mom's Property With Me, how the Issue Was Resolved by nedekid: 4:11pm On Apr 18, 2022
ibechris:

Brother,u see this forum is inundated with people whose background is rooted in extreme poverty. Most times when matters like this come up,they just wished why not me hence their reasons for antagonising anyone who comes for advice bothering on money,properties and women.

In fact,anytime u come up here for opinions such as the earlier one,pls listen to few responsible ones and leave those cursed ones to their destiny.

They have nothing soothing or advice to give but haul all kinds of insults at you just to proof to you how they also insult their parents at home.

Thank God u got a solution to this and i am sure mum would be happy up there.

Cheers!

Well said.
Re: My Father Dragging My Mom's Property With Me, how the Issue Was Resolved by Ayoleeboy007: 4:12pm On Apr 18, 2022
What's the purpose of having or inheriting property without using or selling it

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Father Dragging My Mom's Property With Me, how the Issue Was Resolved by Spherical77(m): 4:12pm On Apr 18, 2022
immortalcrown:
Point out how I lack comprehension. I am not perfect. I will take correction if you prove your claim. But if you do not prove it, you are the one that lacks comprehension.
Here is part of his comments where he explicitly clarify the issue on ground "That our trybe don't sell family lands, house.. inherited property.. that what even gave him the right to think about doing something like that in law for that matter... while my mom has a son...they even said I as the son can't even sell those lands talkless my father."

At bolded indicate that the Son has right to his mother's inherited properties but can't sell it. The word "Talkmore" had somewhat sideline the father out of the equation

The father might proceed to court, no doubt about that. However, he had been duly informed by his in-laws that he has no property from them, this was deduced from what Op said.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Father Dragging My Mom's Property With Me, how the Issue Was Resolved by MASTAkiLLAh(m): 4:12pm On Apr 18, 2022
GraciousGod190:
https://www.nairaland.com/7080619/father-dragging-moms-property-me

Reading all the abuses I got from nairaland, from fellow nairalanders calling me a bastard, ungrateful son all because I was fighting for what was right and not material things.

My mom before she left us, the properties were passed down to her from her parents,(which some they inherited from their Grandparents) she didn't really have to do nothing a full time house wife.. because only the house rents alone she receives from tenants a year from different buildings kept her okay.... some were used for my education, I was made to understand here on nairaland that those properties belong more to my dad, so he can sell it out any way he deem fit... since he married her,. Even though they are ancestral properties.

But, I still don't agree....

So I reported my father to the most senior man in my mother's kindreds, from her father side. I went there on Saturday evening and narrated everything to him...the first thing he said was

YOUR FATHER NOR FIT (in our native language)

He was so angry that he had to call another man and told him everything on the phone, I went back to my house..... and got a call Sunday afternoon to come back around, to my surprise I saw my father there with lots of extended family members and they gave him a stern warning not to try anything funny with those lands.

That our trybe don't sell family lands, house.. inherited property.. that what even gave him the right to think about doing something like that in law for that matter... while my mom has a son...they even said I as the son can't even sell those lands talkless my father.

They ask him, if it was financial issue that gave him that thinking, at first he wanted to deny about selling before he admitted it...my father is not poor, a retired nnpc staff receiving his pension steadily.....he just likes having a lot of money to spend anyhow.... and seeing those lands available he thought he could sell them... but the family proved him wrong and there's nothing he can do about it.

I haven't called my mother kindreds from my my mother side, still observing.. while we Left the meeting, my dad was cold all through..I know he must have narrated to some of his educated friends..let's see if he will take this to court.

This doesn't have nothing to do with me again, but with my mothers kindreds.
good one, like I advised you, get a lawyer for those properties and grant him agency to collect rent and other things on your behalf. Also keep all documents with him though I suspect your dad will want to keep you out of his own will after this but that doesn't mean I'll openly support nonsense

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Father Dragging My Mom's Property With Me, how the Issue Was Resolved by maticar: 4:13pm On Apr 18, 2022
ibechris:

Brother,u see this forum is inundated with people whose background is rooted in extreme poverty. Most times when matters like this come up,they just wished why not me hence their reasons for antagonising anyone who comes for advice bothering on money,properties and women.

In fact,anytime u come up here for opinions such as the earlier one,pls listen to few responsible ones and leave those cursed ones to their destiny.

They have nothing soothing or advice to give but haul all kinds of insults at you just to proof to you how they also insult their parents at home.

Thank God u got a solution to this and i am sure mum would be happy up there.

Cheers!

Nairaland is filled with sick weird depraved individuals

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Father Dragging My Mom's Property With Me, how the Issue Was Resolved by Spherical77(m): 4:13pm On Apr 18, 2022
Ayoleeboy007:
What's the purpose of having or inheriting property without using or selling it
Did you see where he said he cannot make use of it later in future?
Re: My Father Dragging My Mom's Property With Me, how the Issue Was Resolved by AfroKnight: 4:14pm On Apr 18, 2022
GraciousGod190:

Do you read at all?
They said I as a son can't even sell those land, talkless my father.

What does that mean to you?

He doesn't own any property there, according to our tradition.
In-law has no right whatsoever to decide his wife inheritance... except the children.

If your mom didn’t have a will before she died, that property belongs to her spouse, who is your father. You are just creating problems for nothing.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Father Dragging My Mom's Property With Me, how the Issue Was Resolved by flokii: 4:14pm On Apr 18, 2022
Some tribes and their weird cultures tho..
@OP I feel it's something you should settle amicably with your dad.. a man that brought you up and trained you in school isn't someone you should ridicule in front of strangers from your mother side. . except he didn't take care of you.

If that man carry juju swear for you, walahi you go run enter market, that's if you don't die sef. I've seen real life cases like that so it's not fiction or hearsay.

Common land that none of you will take when you both die is what is causing rift. smh.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Father Dragging My Mom's Property With Me, how the Issue Was Resolved by Omotosho1090905(m): 4:15pm On Apr 18, 2022
A deal you and your father should have see through and let peace reign now I bet none of you would have a say about the property now
Re: My Father Dragging My Mom's Property With Me, how the Issue Was Resolved by Biglittlelois(f): 4:15pm On Apr 18, 2022
immortalcrown:
I have been vindicated once again. The kindred only cautioned your father not to sell the property because the kindred's tradition does not permit the selling of such property. But the kindred did not say you have more right than your father over the property.

Your argument was the property is your right. I told you your father owns the property. I said he owns the property despite the fact that his attempt to sell the property is bad. Fools disagreed with me.

Can't you read? Is it hard to comprehend? They said the father does not have the right to sell it, that even Op being the son who has right more than the dad, can't sell it cos it is ancestral property, so even if it wasn't, Op is still entitled to sell it cos it is property from his mother's side, accept that you were wrong in your initial comment, nobody will beat you.

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Upata Rivers State Bride Price, Marriage Constitution - Photos / How A Pant Taught Me How To Always Mind My Business / May The Soul Of My Mother Rest In Peace.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.