Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,276 members, 7,836,243 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 12:19 AM

My Father Dragging My Mom's Property With Me, how the Issue Was Resolved - Family (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / My Father Dragging My Mom's Property With Me, how the Issue Was Resolved (30445 Views)

My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me / I Am 20 And My Mom Wants To Throw Me Out. / Help: My Father Is Killing My Mom Gradually (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Father Dragging My Mom's Property With Me, how the Issue Was Resolved by baby124: 7:11pm On Apr 19, 2022
Congrats OP. Now, go and do letter of administration and get those properties in your name. No matter where your dad retired from, he must be desperate for cash to want to sell those properties. I like that you acted fast. Such men could have spent their gratuity on side chicks fast, Instagram life. They now want to encroach on your inheritance. Let his side chick sell one of the designer bag and shoe he must have bought her so they can buy property.

If you let him sell those properties, in about a year, you will meet a new step mother and step siblings which he will guilt you into taking care of from what you have managed to do for yourself. Once people start selling properties, the easy money will not let them stop till it’s completely finished! Then they come for your bank account.

As he’s jobless now, with plenty time on his hands, na woman and his friends with their bad habits come first. Don’t mind him and his anger, tell him you will take care of his needs. You are just protecting those properties so that you all have something to bring stable income.
Re: My Father Dragging My Mom's Property With Me, how the Issue Was Resolved by Exodora: 7:14pm On Apr 20, 2022
immortalcrown:
Does any part of his post tell you who his tradition recognizes as the owner?
Yes, from all that i understood he said the properties belongs to the woman's children and not the Hausband (his father)and they are not by any ways allowed to sale any of the properties.
And if in any case the woman (his mother)has no child or children the woman's family will take back everything that is been willed to her by her father(op's grandfather).
Re: My Father Dragging My Mom's Property With Me, how the Issue Was Resolved by Melst: 8:59pm On Apr 21, 2022
immortalcrown:
You said your mother inherited the property from her father. You said your mother's siblings tried but failed to collect the property because your maternal grandfather, before his death, gave your mother the property. So, as long as your father legally married your mother and your mother died, your father owns the property. The only thing that can change it is if your mother legally willed the property to you before her death. Did your mother write a will concerning the property? If yes, who does the will mention as the owner of the property? If no will, your father owns the property. I am not typing anyhow. I am educating you. But I am not forcing the knowledge on you. You have the right to reject the knowledge if you detest the knowledge.

There's no law in Nigeria that says when a woman dies intestate, her properties belong to the husband. Non at all. The law says her properties belong to the spouse and children. And the sharing ratio is to be determined by the court of law. So he has equal claims as the dad. And if he's able to prove that the dad only wants to sell and squander the money, and the judge is sensible, the dad gets a smaller ratio. Then customary laws are there too that are followed. In some parts of Igbo land for example, ladies don't inherit so it holds in some cases where applicable.

Lastly, only a shameless man drags his wife's property with his son. In most cases, such men are the squanderer. Ideally, he should be building something for his children to inherit, not selling off family properties.

1 Like

Re: My Father Dragging My Mom's Property With Me, how the Issue Was Resolved by NoToPile: 11:46am On Apr 22, 2022
wirinet:

No mind them, Nigeria has many Peter Nwachukwus ready to exploit and abuse women.
So if Paris Hilton should marry today, all the Hilton estates will belong to the husband.

Very valid question ooo.

Nawa oo.
Re: My Father Dragging My Mom's Property With Me, how the Issue Was Resolved by NoToPile: 11:58am On Apr 22, 2022
allcomage:

No culture is 100% perfect but in Igboland, if innoson gifts his plastic factory to his daughter and his daughter marries an ogbomosho man .That factory in enugu automatically belongs to segun if she dies without a will even if she bore children for segun and segun can come from ogbomosho ,sell the factory 2b and pocket the money without any disturbances.

As a gift maybe but as an inheritance the bolded doesn't sound right oo.

It should be for the children fa.
Re: My Father Dragging My Mom's Property With Me, how the Issue Was Resolved by allcomage: 1:39am On Apr 27, 2022
NoToPile:

As a gift maybe but as an inheritance the bolded doesn't sound right oo.

It should be for the children fa.
Inheritance can be sold too once it's yours. In Igboland people sell ancestral inherited lands to send brilliant kids abroad for studies, support a smart kid to start businesses, to build better befitting homesteads. Some of them later bought property times 100 what was sold after studies or succeeded in businesses.
Re: My Father Dragging My Mom's Property With Me, how the Issue Was Resolved by Gnosticstudent(m): 11:40pm On May 01, 2022
Biglittlelois:

Never quote this moniker again? Understand?

You are indeed one heck of a weakling..
Get a life, for once.
Dont be wasting my time, girl

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Why Do People Improve Themselves After A Divorce But Not During The Marriage? / Men Abandon City Girls, Rush For IDP Singles In Maiduguri- Daily Trust / Guys, Can You Marry A Single Mother? Single Mothers, what are your experiences?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.