Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,690 members, 7,820,403 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:18 PM

My Father Dragging My Mom's Property With Me, how the Issue Was Resolved - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / My Father Dragging My Mom's Property With Me, how the Issue Was Resolved (30315 Views)

My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me / I Am 20 And My Mom Wants To Throw Me Out. / Help: My Father Is Killing My Mom Gradually (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Father Dragging My Mom's Property With Me, how the Issue Was Resolved by Nobody: 4:29pm On Apr 18, 2022
Ikem11:

Which family? Are you OK? Why not go sue your father over his father's land because you are "family"

Please don't quote me again cos its obvious you don't have sense

What you have written, does it make sense?

1 Like

Re: My Father Dragging My Mom's Property With Me, how the Issue Was Resolved by NiceMen: 4:29pm On Apr 18, 2022
GraciousGod190:

Everyone has his own lands, it will be absurd if they come in the future to drag it with me.. ancestors will hold them.
Customs and traditions varies bro, I don't know where your from.
I was supposed to read that first thread but I missed it due to activities.

Now coming to this, I would say your mum raised you well. Not many parents are able to raise a child like you these days...

2 Likes

Re: My Father Dragging My Mom's Property With Me, how the Issue Was Resolved by immortalcrown(m): 4:29pm On Apr 18, 2022
Biglittlelois:
The tradition forbids the father from selling the land because he does not own the land, if a person owns something 100% isn't he entitled to do whatever he wants with it, even sell it? Can't you think?
If your logic is followed, not even the son owns the property because the same tradition forbids the son from selling the property. So, why is the son claiming ownership of the property? grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Father Dragging My Mom's Property With Me, how the Issue Was Resolved by Bbbw: 4:29pm On Apr 18, 2022
Ok
Re: My Father Dragging My Mom's Property With Me, how the Issue Was Resolved by highoctane: 4:31pm On Apr 18, 2022
GraciousGod190:

Do you read at all?
They said I as a son can't even sell those land, talkless my father.

What does that mean to you?

He doesn't own any property there, according to our tradition.
In-law has no right whatsoever to decide his wife inheritance... except the children.

The eldest in your kindred said "Even You Cannot Not Sell That Lands? If your mother's father was still alive, though the lands are his inheritance, "Can He Sell The Lands? The houses from which your mother collect rents are the built on the ancestry lands? " You cannot sell it"? I am using the plural Lands, to state is not just a plot of land.
Re: My Father Dragging My Mom's Property With Me, how the Issue Was Resolved by rickleye: 4:31pm On Apr 18, 2022
GraciousGod190:
https://www.nairaland.com/7080619/father-dragging-moms-property-me

Reading all the abuses I got from nairaland, from fellow nairalanders calling me a bastard, ungrateful son all because I was fighting for what was right and not material things.

My mom before she left us, the properties were passed down to her from her parents,(which some they inherited from their Grandparents) she didn't really have to do nothing a full time house wife.. because only the house rents alone she receives from tenants a year from different buildings kept her okay.... some were used for my education, I was made to understand here on nairaland that those properties belong more to my dad, so he can sell it out any way he deem fit... since he married her,. Even though they are ancestral properties.

But, I still don't agree....

So I reported my father to the most senior man in my mother's kindreds, from her father side. I went there on Saturday evening and narrated everything to him...the first thing he said was

YOUR FATHER NOR FIT (in our native language)

He was so angry that he had to call another man and told him everything on the phone, I went back to my house..... and got a call Sunday afternoon to come back around, to my surprise I saw my father there with lots of extended family members and they gave him a stern warning not to try anything funny with those lands.

That our trybe don't sell family lands, house.. inherited property.. that what even gave him the right to think about doing something like that in law for that matter... while my mom has a son...they even said I as the son can't even sell those lands talkless my father.

They ask him, if it was financial issue that gave him that thinking, at first he wanted to deny about selling before he admitted it...my father is not poor, a retired nnpc staff receiving his pension steadily.....he just likes having a lot of money to spend anyhow.... and seeing those lands available he thought he could sell them... but the family proved him wrong and there's nothing he can do about it.

I haven't called my mother kindreds from my my mother side, still observing.. while we Left the meeting, my dad was cold all through..I know he must have narrated to some of his educated friends..let's see if he will take this to court.

This doesn't have nothing to do with me again, but with my mothers kindreds.

Glad you have settled the issue. You are one of the very few who returned to give “testimony”
Well now that you have made a 2 person matter an issue for the whole court. With you as the only person standing in his way. Haven’t you made yourself a target ?
As you have been warned “ even you - the son can’t sell any property”
Re: My Father Dragging My Mom's Property With Me, how the Issue Was Resolved by Newboss(m): 4:32pm On Apr 18, 2022
You see why women don't get to inherit some property? The risk of the property leaving the extended family is much more higher with women.

2 Likes

Re: My Father Dragging My Mom's Property With Me, how the Issue Was Resolved by syntekelite(m): 4:33pm On Apr 18, 2022
Let me ask this simple question..
If a popular billionaire or a king's daughter got married and passed..so the properties that was part of her fathers estate which was inherited by her before marriage automatically belongs to the husband

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Father Dragging My Mom's Property With Me, how the Issue Was Resolved by Prettychild(f): 4:33pm On Apr 18, 2022
GraciousGod190:

Reading all the abuses I got from nairaland, from fellow nairalanders calling me a bastard, ungrateful son all because I was fighting for what was right and not material things.

My mom before she left us, the properties were passed down to her from her parents,(which some they inherited from their Grandparents) she didn't really have to do nothing a full time house wife.. because only the house rents alone she receives from tenants a year from different buildings kept her okay.... some were used for my education, I was made to understand here on nairaland that those properties belong more to my dad, so he can sell it out any way he deem fit... since he married her,. Even though they are ancestral properties.

So I reported my father to the most senior man in my mother's kindreds, from her father side. I went there on Saturday evening and narrated everything to him...the first thing he said was

He was so angry that he had to call another man and told him everything on the phone, I went back to my house..... and got a call Sunday afternoon to come back around, to my surprise I saw my father there with lots of extended family members and they gave him a stern warning not to try anything funny with those lands.

That our trybe don't sell family lands, house.. inherited property.. that what even gave him the right to think about doing something like that in law for that matter... while my mom has a son...they even said I as the son can't even sell those lands talkless my father.

They ask him, if it was financial issue that gave him that thinking, at first he wanted to deny about selling before he admitted it...my father is not poor, a retired nnpc staff receiving his pension steadily.....he just likes having a lot of money to spend anyhow.... and seeing those lands available he thought he could sell them... but the family proved him wrong and there's nothing he can do about it.

I haven't called my mother kindreds from my my mother side, still observing.. while we Left the meeting, my dad was cold all through..I know he must have narrated to some of his educated friends..let's see if he will take this to court.

In law, your father has no right to sell your mother’s property, the law looks at it as him holding it in trust for her

2 Likes

Re: My Father Dragging My Mom's Property With Me, how the Issue Was Resolved by immortalcrown(m): 4:33pm On Apr 18, 2022
Biglittlelois:
[s][/s]You are slow. This is how you will drag your wife's family ancestral land and properties with your children because you want to sell it and spend money anyhow, you are entitled and slow, God forbid for the kind of men like you.
Your stupidity is congenital. You are the one who will disgrace your wife and her family. I never supported the idea of the father selling the property. I just said the son should stop claiming the property because the father remains the rightful owner until the father dies, since the mother did not legally will the property to the son.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Father Dragging My Mom's Property With Me, how the Issue Was Resolved by Morphinne: 4:33pm On Apr 18, 2022
immortalcrown:
You are the one who did not read at all. Your argument in your first post is the property belongs to you and not to your father. I said here that the kindred did not say the property belongs to you.

Our major argument was about who between you and your father has more right over the property. You claimed you have more rights over the property. Now, your kindred does not support that claim of yours. Your kindred only condemned the idea of selling the property. And I myself also condemned
the idea of selling the property.

Boss, your stance on this is actually faulty. Though I’m not in support of the OP fighting his father over inheritance but children have more right over inheritance than spouses. Take for instance, in Yoruba culture, a man’s properties can only be transferred to his wife after his death on and only on the condition that the wife birthed him children (a son in most cases) who would serve as the right heir to the deceased as well as the bloodline. Why now trying to relegate the main reason (The OP in this case) why you were allowed access to the said properties in the first place?
Secondly, selling off landed inheritance properties is not only bad but shameful. My opinion
Re: My Father Dragging My Mom's Property With Me, how the Issue Was Resolved by phemmyfour: 4:34pm On Apr 18, 2022
GraciousGod190:

Ọmọ Ale ni ẹ

Ọmọ a ṣe irú ẹ fún ẹ
Re: My Father Dragging My Mom's Property With Me, how the Issue Was Resolved by Kobojunkie: 4:34pm On Apr 18, 2022
syntekelite:
If a popular billionaire or a king's daughter got married and passed..so the properties that was part of her fathers estate which was inherited by her before marriage automatically belongs to the husband
ROFLMAO
grin cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

2 Likes

Re: My Father Dragging My Mom's Property With Me, how the Issue Was Resolved by TheMan3: 4:37pm On Apr 18, 2022
GraciousGod190:

Do you read at all?

In-law has no right whatsoever to decide his wife inheritance... except the children.

you sound like what Yoruba will call omoale
Re: My Father Dragging My Mom's Property With Me, how the Issue Was Resolved by immortalcrown(m): 4:37pm On Apr 18, 2022
Morphinne:
Boss, your stance on this is actually faulty. Though I’m not in support of the OP fighting his father over inheritance but children have more right over inheritance than spouses. Take for instance, in Yoruba culture, a man’s properties can only be transferred to his wife after his death on and only on the condition that the wife birthed him children (a son in most cases) who would serve as the right heir to the deceased as well as the bloodline. Why now trying to relegate the main reason (The OP in this case) why you were allowed access to the said properties in the first place? Secondly, selling off landed inheritance properties is not only bad but shameful. My opinion
The poster did not present the case in the perspective of his culture. That was why the argument started. We debated it based on the general law, not based on cultures. It is in this his second post that he mentioned his culture. And even now that he has brought in his culture, the culture has not spoken against my initial judgment. The culture, according to this his post, does not say he is the owner of the property. His culture just condemns and forbids the selling of the property. So, leave culture out of this.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Father Dragging My Mom's Property With Me, how the Issue Was Resolved by BouquiLake: 4:38pm On Apr 18, 2022
You will soon be a father or already is... It will soon be your turn.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Father Dragging My Mom's Property With Me, how the Issue Was Resolved by Peace1993: 4:39pm On Apr 18, 2022
ibechris:

Brother,u see this forum is inundated with people whose background is rooted in extreme poverty. Most times when matters like this come up,they just wished why not me hence their reasons for antagonising anyone who comes for advice bothering on money,properties and women.

In fact,anytime u come up here for opinions such as the earlier one,pls listen to few responsible ones and leave those cursed ones to their destiny.

They have nothing soothing or advice to give but haul all kinds of insults at you just to proof to you how they also insult their parents at home.

Thank God u got a solution to this and i am sure mum would be happy up there.

Cheers!

See Mr.Wisdom. Tell us how the family’s judgment favors him. Shmm.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Father Dragging My Mom's Property With Me, how the Issue Was Resolved by Nobody: 4:39pm On Apr 18, 2022
immortalcrown:
You are the one who does not know the law. The poster himself said the mother's siblings tried but failed to collect the property after the mother's death because the mother's father, before his own death, gave the property to the mother. The poster did not say his mother legally willed the property to him before her death. In a situation where a woman legally married to a man had a son for the husband but died without writing a will for her property, the husband automatically owns her property. The son will take over the property when the father dies, not while the father is still alive.

This is a family property on the mother side. An ancestral land, land own before they got married.

The law court treats family properties owned by spouses before the marriage as separate properties. So the husband has no right to any property a woman own before marriage

2 Likes

Re: My Father Dragging My Mom's Property With Me, how the Issue Was Resolved by Efewestern: 4:40pm On Apr 18, 2022
thebosstrevor1:

Even if his name is not written on the property, it is a family asset that is being passed from generation to generation.

The offsprings owns the property not the father.

I don't even know what's hard to understand here.

1 Like

Re: My Father Dragging My Mom's Property With Me, how the Issue Was Resolved by phemmyfour: 4:40pm On Apr 18, 2022
Biglittlelois:
[s][/s]

You are slow. This is how you will drag your wife's family ancestral land and properties with your children because you want to sell it and spend money anyhow, you are entitled and slow, God forbid for the kind of men like you.
It's not about dragging, it's what's obtainable under the law. Nothing stop the boy from acquiring his own properties instead of focusing on ancestral properties from his mother's linage.

2. That saying that it's a taboo or we don't sell ancestral land/properties from where he came from is balderdash. How many people from his hometown did he know

1 Like

Re: My Father Dragging My Mom's Property With Me, how the Issue Was Resolved by VULCAN(m): 4:40pm On Apr 18, 2022
I don't know why you are bothering yourself with people whose root you can't identify.

Some of the males who attacked you imagine themselves in your dad's shoes.

They believe it is their right to collect their wives inheritance and don't mind killing their son to take over the property

Such are males and not men. They are already preparing to depend on their kids.
I supported you on the first thread because I know how irresponsible some men can be with money and inheritance.

GraciousGod190:

Scared you say, keep the abuse coming like the other time.

So I should allow him to sell my mother's ancestral home for cheap cash... just like that. Then tommorow when my children ask me to take them where they are from, I won't have a roof to shoe them.
Funny set of individuals we have on this site.

5 Likes

Re: My Father Dragging My Mom's Property With Me, how the Issue Was Resolved by Biglittlelois(f): 4:40pm On Apr 18, 2022
Mariangeles:

The reason why I'm asking is 'cause in Igbo culture, things are done differently.

A married woman cannot keep an ancestral property from her father's family.

And you see this as okay? You even sound proud of an injustice and unfairness that should have been abolished ages ago, no wonder your men will continue to buy and see you igbo women as mere property.

6 Likes

Re: My Father Dragging My Mom's Property With Me, how the Issue Was Resolved by Exodora: 4:41pm On Apr 18, 2022
immortalcrown:
You said your mother inherited the property from her father. You said your mother's siblings tried but failed to collect the property because your maternal grandfather, before his death, gave your mother the property. So, as long as your father legally married your mother and your mother died, your father owns the property. The only thing that can change it is if your mother legally willed the property to you before her death. Did your mother write a will concerning the property? If yes, who does the will mention as the owner of the property? If no will, your father owns the property. I am not typing anyhow. I am educating you. But I am not forcing the knowledge on you. You have the right to reject the knowledge if you detest the knowledge.
Like he said earlier traditions varies.in my place the mother’s properties belong to the last son while the father’s house belong to the first son then every other properties can be shared equally to all the children.
Re: My Father Dragging My Mom's Property With Me, how the Issue Was Resolved by Nobody: 4:42pm On Apr 18, 2022
syntekelite:

No. The property does not belong to the husband, legally this was gotten before they married.

Only properties gotten during the marriage can any of the couple own

2 Likes

Re: My Father Dragging My Mom's Property With Me, how the Issue Was Resolved by famouscargo4u: 4:43pm On Apr 18, 2022
GraciousGod190:

Do you read at all?

Bro, the constitution supersedes any custom or traditions. By law, so long he married your deceased mother legally, he owns the property. If be decides to go the law way, he would win 100%

1 Like

Re: My Father Dragging My Mom's Property With Me, how the Issue Was Resolved by Morphinne: 4:44pm On Apr 18, 2022
syntekelite:

I tire o. grin So the husband can just Jejely remarry or just get one hottie, bang her tirelessly in one of the many SUVs left behind, sell off the estates and even the king’s stool all in the name of marrying King’s daughter cheesy grin grin. Your wife becomes someone else’s in death (except in some cases) but your children remain yours till the end of time, so this case can be easily sorted using this simple logic.

2 Likes

Re: My Father Dragging My Mom's Property With Me, how the Issue Was Resolved by immortalcrown(m): 4:45pm On Apr 18, 2022
Exodora:
Like he said earlier traditions varies.in my place the mother’s properties belong to the last son while the father’s house belong to the first son then every other properties can be shared equally to all the children.
Does any part of his post tell you who his tradition recognizes as the owner?
Re: My Father Dragging My Mom's Property With Me, how the Issue Was Resolved by Biglittlelois(f): 4:46pm On Apr 18, 2022
Mariangeles:

In Igbo land, we try to avoid confusion like the one op and his father are caught up in.
Everything is done orderly.
A man's inheritance belong to his wife as well.

So women inheriting properties is seen as confusion? You are really proud of the obvious bias, SMH

@bolded is that the point of this thread? Do you think an inherited ancestral property from the husband's side will be passed to the wife if he dies? It will instead be given to his offsprings.

5 Likes

Re: My Father Dragging My Mom's Property With Me, how the Issue Was Resolved by Morphinne: 4:46pm On Apr 18, 2022
famouscargo4u:

Bro, the constitution supersedes any custom or traditions. By law, so long he married your deceased mother legally, he owns the property. If be decides to go the law way, he would win 100%

Really? Pls can you quote that particular Nigeria law? We learn everyday. I might learn something new from you today grin
Re: My Father Dragging My Mom's Property With Me, how the Issue Was Resolved by Mariangeles(f): 4:46pm On Apr 18, 2022
[s]
Biglittlelois:

And you see this as okay? You even sound proud of an injustice and unfairness that should have been abolished ages ago, no wonder your men will continue to buy and see you igbo women as mere property.
[/s]
Re: My Father Dragging My Mom's Property With Me, how the Issue Was Resolved by juman(m): 4:46pm On Apr 18, 2022
Those family members might be as dangerous as serpent.
Maybe selling the land behind, now they see misunderstanding between father and son.

1 Like

Re: My Father Dragging My Mom's Property With Me, how the Issue Was Resolved by Biglittlelois(f): 4:47pm On Apr 18, 2022
Efewestern:

Yes. It's obtainable for all ancestral lands. Wether male or female, Lands are distributed equally to all offsprings. It passes down from a Father/Mother to his/her Sons/Daughters and so on.

Culturally, you can't even cheat a woman when it comes to ancestral properties, her interest and that of her children is very well protected.

Kudos to your culture, I love the fairness accorded to all involved regardless of the gender, nice one.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Please I Need People Advice Over This Issue / My Husband Does Not Want Me To Work / 20 Things Women Should Never Do!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.