Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,405 members, 7,815,883 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:16 PM

My Father Dragging My Mom's Property With Me, how the Issue Was Resolved - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / My Father Dragging My Mom's Property With Me, how the Issue Was Resolved (30279 Views)

My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me / I Am 20 And My Mom Wants To Throw Me Out. / Help: My Father Is Killing My Mom Gradually (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Father Dragging My Mom's Property With Me, how the Issue Was Resolved by immortalcrown(m): 4:16pm On Apr 18, 2022
Spherical77:
Here is part of his comments where he explicitly clarify the issue on ground "That our trybe don't sell family lands, house.. inherited property.. that what even gave him the right to think about doing something like that in law for that matter... while my mom has a son...they even said I as the son can't even sell those lands talkless my father." At bolded indicate that the Son has right to his mother's inherited properties but can't sell it. The word "Talkmore" had somewhat sideline the father out of the equation. The father might proceed to court, no doubt about that. However, he had been duly informed by his in-laws that he has no property from them, this was deduced from what Op said.
Does any part of what you highlighted say the father does not own the property? Or, does my comment deny what you highlighted?
Re: My Father Dragging My Mom's Property With Me, how the Issue Was Resolved by Ikem11(m): 4:16pm On Apr 18, 2022
GraciousGod190:

Do you read at all?
They said I as a son can't even sell those land, talkless my father.

What does that mean to you?

He doesn't own any property there, according to our tradition.
In-law has no right whatsoever to decide his wife inheritance... except the children.

What the guy said is 100 percent right. Your father owns those properties as long as he married your mother.

The bone of contention here is his ability to sell the house which the kinsmen made it clear from what you wrote there.

Even though they mentioned you as her son doesn't still award you the full right while your father is alive.

If your father go to court he will be awarded full authority over those properties just watch and see. If you clever I will advice you put a defence in court to lay an embargo stopping him from selling them as it is an inheritance.

That the court can listen to.

3 Likes

Re: My Father Dragging My Mom's Property With Me, how the Issue Was Resolved by Nobody: 4:17pm On Apr 18, 2022
immortalcrown:
I have been vindicated once again. The kindred only cautioned your father not to sell the property because the kindred's tradition does not permit the selling of such property. But the kindred did not say you have more right than your father over the property.

Your argument was the property is your right. I told you your father owns the property. I said he owns the property despite the fact that his attempt to sell the property is bad. Fools disagreed with me.

Vindicated, how?

How is a property passed from generation to generation on the mother side becomes father's property.

Do you know the law?

What name do you think is in the land documents

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Father Dragging My Mom's Property With Me, how the Issue Was Resolved by Kobojunkie: 4:17pm On Apr 18, 2022
Ayoleeboy007:
What's the purpose of having or inheriting property without using or selling it
You can use it but you can't sell it. That is what OP is saying. undecided

1 Like

Re: My Father Dragging My Mom's Property With Me, how the Issue Was Resolved by Nobody: 4:17pm On Apr 18, 2022
immortalcrown:
You are the one who did not read at all. Your argument in your first post is the property belongs to you and not to your father. I said here that the kindred did not say the property belongs to you.

Our major argument was about who between you and your father has more right over the property. You claimed you have more rights over the property. Now, your kindred does not support that claim of yours. Your kindred only condemned the idea of selling the property. And I myself also condemned the idea of selling the property.

God Bless you comrade!

@OP I saw all the shot you fired. Don't be petty. Taking my words out of context?
The real outrage was provoked because you claimed your mom's estate was yours even when there is no will saying so. In this new post you completely watered it down and changed the narrative all together.
We don't hate you Bro!
The truth hurts.
Let that man enjoy the properties/Estate of the Love of his life. Remember that they faced life together.
Why are you deliberately traumatizing this man? From your previous post, your father is a good man. Why are you wicked?
Are you his Karma or what? Let this man be please. I am begging. Imagine dragging him to your kinsmen.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Father Dragging My Mom's Property With Me, how the Issue Was Resolved by joyandfaith: 4:18pm On Apr 18, 2022
GraciousGod190:
https://www.nairaland.com/7080619/father-dragging-moms-property-me

Reading all the abuses I got from nairaland, from fellow nairalanders calling me a bastard, ungrateful son all because I was fighting for what was right and not material things.

My mom before she left us, the properties were passed down to her from her parents,(which some they inherited from their Grandparents) she didn't really have to do nothing a full time house wife.. because only the house rents alone she receives from tenants a year from different buildings kept her okay.... some were used for my education, I was made to understand here on nairaland that those properties belong more to my dad, so he can sell it out any way he deem fit... since he married her,. Even though they are ancestral properties.

But, I still don't agree....

So I reported my father to the most senior man in my mother's kindreds, from her father side. I went there on Saturday evening and narrated everything to him...the first thing he said was

YOUR FATHER NOR FIT (in our native language)

He was so angry that he had to call another man and told him everything on the phone, I went back to my house..... and got a call Sunday afternoon to come back around, to my surprise I saw my father there with lots of extended family members and they gave him a stern warning not to try anything funny with those lands.

That our trybe don't sell family lands, house.. inherited property.. that what even gave him the right to think about doing something like that in law for that matter... while my mom has a son...they even said I as the son can't even sell those lands talkless my father.

They ask him, if it was financial issue that gave him that thinking, at first he wanted to deny about selling before he admitted it...my father is not poor, a retired nnpc staff receiving his pension steadily.....he just likes having a lot of money to spend anyhow.... and seeing those lands available he thought he could sell them... but the family proved him wrong and there's nothing he can do about it.

I haven't called my mother kindreds from my my mother side, still observing.. while we Left the meeting, my dad was cold all through..I know he must have narrated to some of his educated friends..let's see if he will take this to court.

This doesn't have nothing to do with me again, but with my mothers kindreds.

The property belongs to her blood not spouse. Those who are abusing are ignorant. It is only properties your mother acquired after marriage that can be claimed by father under marriage act. Inheritance properties are big issues in customary law.

3 Likes

Re: My Father Dragging My Mom's Property With Me, how the Issue Was Resolved by Nobody: 4:18pm On Apr 18, 2022
Ikem11:

What the guy said is 100 percent right. Your father owns those properties as long as he married your mother.

The bone of contention here is his ability to sell the house which the kinsmen made it clear from what you wrote there.

Even though they mentioned you as her son doesn't still award you the full right while your father is alive.

If your father go to court he will be awarded full authority over those properties just watch and see. If you clever I will advice you put a defence in court to lay an embargo stopping him from selling them as it is an inheritance.

That the court can listen to.

No sir, marriage does not automatically give someone right to a property.

Any name that is written on the land document owns the property

2 Likes

Re: My Father Dragging My Mom's Property With Me, how the Issue Was Resolved by nedekid: 4:19pm On Apr 18, 2022
Efewestern:

The Father has no single right over such property. The moment he makes any funny move, the properties will be seized by the woman's family in collaboration with the OP.

These are inhiritance not something built during the course of their marriage. Only a direct offspring like the OP has legitimate claim to theses lands and properties.

Had OP's mother never given birth, the woman's family will repossess those properties.

GraciousGod190 kudos for standing up. May God give you more wisdom.
This issue is more complicated.
If for instance the inherited property had been documented and perfected in the later woman's name and she was legally married to the ops father, under the law, the father has first right of claim to the properties.
That does not seem to be the case.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Father Dragging My Mom's Property With Me, how the Issue Was Resolved by immortalcrown(m): 4:20pm On Apr 18, 2022
Biglittlelois:
Can't you read? Is it hard to comprehend? They said the father does not have the right to sell it, that even Op being the son who has right more than the dad, can't sell it cos it is ancestral property, so even if it wasn't, Op is still entitled to sell it cos it is property from his mother's side, accept that you were wrong in your initial comment, nobody will beat you.
You are the one who cannot read. My comment is simple and clear. The tradition of the kindred forbids the father from selling the property. The same tradition does not deny the father the ownership of the property. But the poster, in his previous post, claims the property does not belong to his father. The argument I had with people is whether the poster owns the property or the father owns the property.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Father Dragging My Mom's Property With Me, how the Issue Was Resolved by Ayoleeboy007: 4:20pm On Apr 18, 2022
Spherical77:
Did you see where he said he cannot make use of it later in future?
wumi! wumi! Akinwumi, how many times did I call you? Avoid me please.
Re: My Father Dragging My Mom's Property With Me, how the Issue Was Resolved by Ikem11(m): 4:20pm On Apr 18, 2022
immortalcrown:
You are the one who did not read at all. Your argument in your first post is the property belongs to you and not to your father. I said here that the kindred did not say the property belongs to you.

Our major argument was about who between you and your father has more right over the property. You claimed you have more rights over the property. Now, your kindred does not support that claim of yours. Your kindred only condemned the idea of selling the property. And I myself also condemned the idea of selling the property.

You are correct in your argument. Even in law court his father will win that case at ease.

What the court will be after is if the marriage is legitimate and if yes, full authority goes to the man.

As for you as a son... Wait till your father write his will.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Father Dragging My Mom's Property With Me, how the Issue Was Resolved by smoke555: 4:20pm On Apr 18, 2022
GraciousGod190:

Reading all the abuses I got from nairaland, from fellow nairalanders calling me a bastard, ungrateful son all because I was fighting for what was right and not material things.

My mom before she left us, the properties were passed down to her from her parents,(which some they inherited from their Grandparents) she didn't really have to do nothing a full time house wife.. because only the house rents alone she receives from tenants a year from different buildings kept her okay.... some were used for my education, I was made to understand here on nairaland that those properties belong more to my dad, so he can sell it out any way he deem fit... since he married her,. Even though they are ancestral properties.

So I reported my father to the most senior man in my mother's kindreds, from her father side. I went there on Saturday evening and narrated everything to him...the first thing he said was

He was so angry that he had to call another man and told him everything on the phone, I went back to my house..... and got a call Sunday afternoon to come back around, to my surprise I saw my father there with lots of extended family members and they gave him a stern warning not to try anything funny with those lands.

That our trybe don't sell family lands, house.. inherited property.. that what even gave him the right to think about doing something like that in law for that matter... while my mom has a son...they even said I as the son can't even sell those lands talkless my father.

They ask him, if it was financial issue that gave him that thinking, at first he wanted to deny about selling before he admitted it...my father is not poor, a retired nnpc staff receiving his pension steadily.....he just likes having a lot of money to spend anyhow.... and seeing those lands available he thought he could sell them... but the family proved him wrong and there's nothing he can do about it.

I haven't called my mother kindreds from my my mother side, still observing.. while we Left the meeting, my dad was cold all through..I know he must have narrated to some of his educated friends..let's see if he will take this to court.

Mind if I ask how old you are? I meant no disrespect though, I have a reason for asking
Re: My Father Dragging My Mom's Property With Me, how the Issue Was Resolved by Nobody: 4:20pm On Apr 18, 2022
GraciousGod190:

I am so impressed with the steps you took.

I also do not believe that properties and lands should be sold, properties are suppose to be passed down from generation to generation and rent from these properties should be used to sustain the family.

Properties are assets that can never be recovered once it is gone.

2 Likes

Re: My Father Dragging My Mom's Property With Me, how the Issue Was Resolved by BinamRex: 4:20pm On Apr 18, 2022
Cardealer2021:
I didn't read the long epistle, someone should please help me to summarize embarassed

You be mumu

1 Like

Re: My Father Dragging My Mom's Property With Me, how the Issue Was Resolved by Ayoleeboy007: 4:20pm On Apr 18, 2022
Kobojunkie:
You can use it but you can't sell it. That is what OP is saying. undecided
Noted, what can you use it 4
Re: My Father Dragging My Mom's Property With Me, how the Issue Was Resolved by bigiyaro(m): 4:21pm On Apr 18, 2022
OP you tried jare! Pls upgrade some of the properties and pass them to his grand children. The way this country is now, pls give your children any head start you can afford.

2 Likes

Re: My Father Dragging My Mom's Property With Me, how the Issue Was Resolved by Kobojunkie: 4:21pm On Apr 18, 2022
Ayoleeboy007:
Noted, what can you use it 4
Gardening, building, leasing.... undecided

2 Likes

Re: My Father Dragging My Mom's Property With Me, how the Issue Was Resolved by Ikem11(m): 4:21pm On Apr 18, 2022
thebosstrevor1:

No sir, marriage does not automatically give someone right to a property.

Any name that is written on the land document owns the property

Is his name written in the document? The answer is no because if yes there won't be any argument in the first place.

There is no will so automatically the will goes to wife or husband. Don't just make blind arguments
Re: My Father Dragging My Mom's Property With Me, how the Issue Was Resolved by Ahmeduana(m): 4:22pm On Apr 18, 2022
GraciousGod190:

Oniovo, emo
Are you from Delta state?
Re: My Father Dragging My Mom's Property With Me, how the Issue Was Resolved by Biglittlelois(f): 4:22pm On Apr 18, 2022
[s]
immortalcrown:
You said your mother inherited the property from her father. You said your mother's siblings tried but failed to collect the property because your maternal grandfather, before his death, gave your mother the property. So, as long as your father legally married your mother and your mother died, your father owns the property. The only thing that can change it is if your mother legally willed the property to you before her death. Did your mother write a will concerning the property? If yes, who does the will mention as the owner of the property? If no will, your father owns the property. I am not typing anyhow. I am educating you. But I am not forcing the knowledge on you. You have the right to reject the knowledge if you detest the knowledge.
[/s]

You are slow. This is how you will drag your wife's family ancestral land and properties with your children because you want to sell it and spend money anyhow, you are entitled and slow, God forbid for the kind of men like you.

5 Likes

Re: My Father Dragging My Mom's Property With Me, how the Issue Was Resolved by BinamRex: 4:22pm On Apr 18, 2022
immortalcrown:

You are a slowpoke. I wonder why the op is wasting his time arguing with you. Opkolo

2 Likes

Re: My Father Dragging My Mom's Property With Me, how the Issue Was Resolved by Cheq40: 4:23pm On Apr 18, 2022
When 1st matter no favour u,just make up 2nd story to cover up the 1st...if u know,u know.
Re: My Father Dragging My Mom's Property With Me, how the Issue Was Resolved by thatigboman1: 4:23pm On Apr 18, 2022
Op, the issue has not been resolved naa. If it had been resolved, why are u still "waiting and observing"?
If I were your dad, I will disown you immediately and write ( or rewrite) my will, banning you from getting a kobo from me or entering my family house (my people will surely enforce it when I die). Go to your mum's siblings, live there and enjoy your so-called inheritance. What if your mum had not given birth to u or to any child, who would have inherited the properties?
I read your post that day but just quiet. What u did and are doing is very very foolish. And u hope to have a wife and children one day. When u die, your children will just burn up all your properties, including that your mum's own over querell. How dare you dare properties with your own father? What the hell, who does that!

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Father Dragging My Mom's Property With Me, how the Issue Was Resolved by Ekugbeh(m): 4:24pm On Apr 18, 2022
GraciousGod190:

Oniovo, emo
emo oni

1 Like

Re: My Father Dragging My Mom's Property With Me, how the Issue Was Resolved by Nobody: 4:24pm On Apr 18, 2022
Ikem11:

Is his name written in the document? The answer is no because if yes there won't be any argument in the first place.

There is no will so automatically the will goes to wife or husband. Don't just make blind arguments

Even if his name is not written on the property, it is a family asset that is being passed from generation to generation.

The offsprings owns the property not the father.

4 Likes

Re: My Father Dragging My Mom's Property With Me, how the Issue Was Resolved by Skillsnigeria: 4:26pm On Apr 18, 2022
That's good
Re: My Father Dragging My Mom's Property With Me, how the Issue Was Resolved by Biglittlelois(f): 4:26pm On Apr 18, 2022
immortalcrown:
You are the one who cannot read. My comment is simple and clear. The tradition of the kindred forbids the father from selling the property. The same tradition does not deny the father the ownership of the property. But the poster, in his previous post, claims the property does not belong to his father. The argument I had with people is whether the poster owns the property or the father owns the property.

The tradition forbids the father from selling the land because he does not own the land, if a person owns something 100% isn't he entitled to do whatever he wants with it, even sell it? Can't you think? The properties in op's case is an ancestral property passed on from generation to generation, so the father does not own the land.

4 Likes

Re: My Father Dragging My Mom's Property With Me, how the Issue Was Resolved by Yonsxp: 4:26pm On Apr 18, 2022
What a father!

1 Like

Re: My Father Dragging My Mom's Property With Me, how the Issue Was Resolved by immortalcrown(m): 4:26pm On Apr 18, 2022
thebosstrevor1:
Vindicated, how? How is a property passed from generation to generation on the mother side becomes father's property. Do you know the law? What name do you think is in the land documents
You are the one who does not know the law. The poster himself said the mother's siblings tried but failed to collect the property after the mother's death because the mother's father, before his own death, gave the property to the mother. The poster did not say his mother legally willed the property to him before her death. In a situation where a woman legally married to a man had a son for the husband but died without writing a will for her property, the husband automatically owns her property. The son will take over the property when the father dies, not while the father is still alive.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Father Dragging My Mom's Property With Me, how the Issue Was Resolved by Ikem11(m): 4:26pm On Apr 18, 2022
Efewestern:

The Father has no single right over such property. The moment he makes any funny move, the properties will be seized by the woman's family in collaboration with the OP.

These are inhiritance not something built during the course of their marriage. Only a direct offspring like the OP has legitimate claim to theses lands and properties.

Had OP's mother never given birth, the woman's family will repossess those properties.

GraciousGod190 kudos for standing up. May God give you more wisdom.

Brother in legitimate marriage and especially when it comes to property dispute, kinsmen don't matter once the case goes to court.

Even in village properties we still have customary courts that handles such cases.

This boy is just a son without a will from her mother. What right does he have over his father who married his mother? Sometimes you kids make a silly mistakes.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Father Dragging My Mom's Property With Me, how the Issue Was Resolved by President2001(m): 4:27pm On Apr 18, 2022
You drag your Daddy to public because of property, do you think he will bless you in his inner heart
Re: My Father Dragging My Mom's Property With Me, how the Issue Was Resolved by Ikem11(m): 4:28pm On Apr 18, 2022
thebosstrevor1:

Even if his name is not written on the property, it is a family asset that is being passed from generation to generation.

The offsprings owns the property not the father.

Which family? Are you OK? Why not go sue your father over his father's land because you are "family"

Please don't quote me again cos its obvious you don't have sense

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Upata Rivers State Bride Price, Marriage Constitution - Photos / How A Pant Taught Me How To Always Mind My Business / May The Soul Of My Mother Rest In Peace.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 112
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.