Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,337 members, 7,811,978 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 04:05 AM

Ask Graduates On Nairaland - Jobs/Vacancies (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Ask Graduates On Nairaland (27231 Views)

Massive Recruitment Of Graduates On The Island In Lagos By Phillips Outsourcing / KPMG Discriminates Against Polytechnic Graduates On Recruitment / FIRS To Recruit 7,500 Graduates And 5,000 Non-Graduates (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ask Graduates On Nairaland by exclusive7(m): 2:02pm On May 01, 2022
Dontleaveme:

People are fond of just making this statement. Is the skill free or you need money to acquire it?
Bro a lot of free materials or cheap materials are out there.. You're just not looking.. Cuz you don't even need to look too hard

2 Likes

Re: Ask Graduates On Nairaland by nedekid: 2:02pm On May 01, 2022
Not for me undecided
Re: Ask Graduates On Nairaland by 07kjb: 2:02pm On May 01, 2022
The Nigerian youths brain have been bastardised, everybody is shouting go and learn a skill which they borrowed from our useless leaders.....has it occur to you guys that Nigeria has the highest self employed population in the world yet we are the poorverty capital in the world

Why won't government employ it's own quota,they don't create job, even in the USA today they are still creating millions of job even for immigrants

A government is a circle of public employment, private employment,indirect employment, unskilled then self employed" you tax...... shouting there's no job up and down is a lie from the pit of hell.

Finally Africans are naturally dull you can't hold your leaders accountable is a shame

Note: I'm not discouraging not learning any skill, I'm just stating how it ought to be

14 Likes

Re: Ask Graduates On Nairaland by Angelfrost(m): 2:03pm On May 01, 2022
sogodihno:

Thanks, I appreciate. Up Leeds United grin grin

Thanks Boss!... Pleading with Chelsea to step up and help relegate Everton! embarassed
Re: Ask Graduates On Nairaland by Amanda002: 2:04pm On May 01, 2022
kdfinest:

that motivational talk don tire me. one needs funds too, maybe they forget about that, because honestly if I can get funds and very good PC, the sky will be my starting point.
I just got a PC now looking for money

1 Like

Re: Ask Graduates On Nairaland by LordIsaac(m): 2:07pm On May 01, 2022
I pray all the youths go into tech so that they will be space for the rest of us to shine in other areas grin

2 Likes

Re: Ask Graduates On Nairaland by Nobody: 2:09pm On May 01, 2022
No hope

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ask Graduates On Nairaland by Chris2chris: 2:09pm On May 01, 2022
Go and learn handwork that's what everyone is saying. Where will you get the money to learn handwork or trade. Even when you learned that where will do the business when every average of Nigerian is doing. No shops, no good location for some of these businesses. And the worst there's no security. I think government and private individuals should help and venture into industrialization. And solve the issue of insecurity if not..........

3 Likes

Re: Ask Graduates On Nairaland by Iboyx: 2:14pm On May 01, 2022
07kjb:
The Nigerian youths brain have been bastardised, everybody is shouting go and learn a skill which they borrowed from our useless leaders.....has it occur to you guys that Nigeria has the highest self employed population in the world yet we are the poorverty capital in the world

Why won't government employ it's own quota,they don't create job, even in the USA today they are still creating millions of job even for immigrants

A government is a circle of public employment, private employment,indirect employment, unskilled then self employed you tax...... shouting there's no job up and down is a lie from the pit of hell.

Finally Africans are naturally dull you can't hold your leaders accountable is a shame

Note: I'm not discouraging not learning any skill, I'm just stating how it ought to be
The question is self employed doing what, by the way I'll like to see where dat stat is from by the way after searching what I can see is Chad, Nigeria, Burundi, e.t.c. Not just self employed, self employed doing what are u doing it out of passion or out of survival If the former is the case u will always be thinking how u can expand. If the later is the case ur doing it cause u need to eat. From the list of those countries one will observe those countries are still developing stand to be corrected.
Re: Ask Graduates On Nairaland by Angelfrost(m): 2:15pm On May 01, 2022
Mummyimbecile:
say it, loud bro. Yesterday, I just decided to go have a drink alone, right there are the bar, I reflected on my life when I was in Nigeria, all I can say is thank you, God. What I earn in a week here is 15times my month salary in Nigeria. It's just that bills dey here sha, all the same we're good.

My advice to Nigerian graduates is to learn a skill, and with time, leave the country for those that spoiled it if you can.

Those that ruined the country have even left the country for those who elected them to spoil it!

APC and PDP zombies are here suffering daily while the kids of those they support are living the dream abroad!
Re: Ask Graduates On Nairaland by Damzy101(m): 2:16pm On May 01, 2022
Graduates of History and International Relations, how're you coping?
Where do you work presently?

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ask Graduates On Nairaland by dfrost: 2:17pm On May 01, 2022
kdfinest:

that motivational talk don tire me. one needs funds too, maybe they forget about that, because honestly if I can get funds and very good PC, the sky will be my starting point.

When you say 'funds' like how much do you think you really need? undecided
Re: Ask Graduates On Nairaland by abbey621(m): 2:18pm On May 01, 2022
07kjb:

A government is a circle of public employment, private employment,indirect employment, unskilled then self employed you tax...... shouting there's no job up and down is a lie from the pit of hell.

Guy you're funny, how did you come about your statistics? There are more self employed people in China and India than Nigeria. There are more poor people in India than Nigeria, they call Nigeria poverty capital of the world not because of quantity but because of the amount of resources Nigeria has compared to its relative lack of development. Yes our government is useless but no dey bring false stats to make your point valid. Those saying acquire skills are saying so because there is no hope in the government, the wise acquire skills to hedge against unemployment or under employment. Those with a functioning brain know it is not the job of the government to create jobs rather they make the environment ripe and healthy for private and public sectors to work together towards growth which automatically creates jobs. IF GOVERNMENT NO READY TO DO ITS PART, YOU WAN FORCE DEM? Even if you get balls, how you wan convince the traders, the herders, the ones not on social media to vote the right government in? You stated how it ought to be but reality no dey work like that, everybody got to do what's best for him or her!

5 Likes

Re: Ask Graduates On Nairaland by 07kjb: 2:20pm On May 01, 2022
People are learning work o forget, infact apart from Tech every other area is crowded

I don't know why we still use this term go and learn a skill"instead of pressurising your government to creates jobs that is needed to create

3 Likes

Re: Ask Graduates On Nairaland by dfrost: 2:21pm On May 01, 2022
Newboss:

Yes, it's free. Use your data to upgrade yourself, not just troll

cheesy

Twitter will not allow some to mind their business.

Then, there is the constant argument between the armies of the three popular artists in Nigeria.

Then, there are blogs.

Then, there is BBN.

--------

These are the things that they distract themselves with, after which they will be looking at making fast money.
Re: Ask Graduates On Nairaland by Nobody: 2:23pm On May 01, 2022
Simonobodo:

Ask them oo
Abi o , they taught it is easy , I was actually learning one before due to lack of funds I just have to step down , I really wish to continue but no sponsor .
Re: Ask Graduates On Nairaland by Nobody: 2:25pm On May 01, 2022
Graduate with at least 2nd class upper
Go for masters if possible
Apply for jobs, at least 20 everyday. Ensure you meet the requirements.
Never accept a job lower than 80k for a start
Target multinationals, avoid small business as a new graduate
Go for job interviews, never get tired until you get what you want.
Reject emails are part of the progress, never get discouraged.

3 Likes

Re: Ask Graduates On Nairaland by jesmond3945: 2:26pm On May 01, 2022
efficiencie:
If you get the mind go into tech. All the years you spent doing overnight studying nonsense in school would have paid off if you studied for tech roles. Books on tech are available for free online. There are open source/free technologies that you can learn in web development, machine learning, database design and querying, data engineering, data analysis/visualization etc. Plus you can get a remote US, Canada etc jobs that can pay you well. Check out www.turing.com, https://weworkremotely.com/ and https://vanhack.com/ to access remote jobs when you are ready.

Schooling has evolved. Don't go and spend years studying nonsense and expect to land a job quickly. Spend time developing skills that will turn you into a problem solver for both domestic and international employers.

Nobody will pay you to come sit down and look. You need to able to fix problems that earn employers money or help them deliver great products or services ...otherwise you go tey for house!
thank you for this post.
Re: Ask Graduates On Nairaland by dreofGod(m): 2:27pm On May 01, 2022
Dontleaveme:

People are fond of just making this statement. Is the skill free or you need money to acquire it?
Baba, thank you jare. I think people use that to sound motivational. They forget that a person who does not have money to feed or support as regard feeding from anywhere will only be thinking of how to get money not learn a skill

2 Likes

Re: Ask Graduates On Nairaland by RMCR7: 2:28pm On May 01, 2022
My advice to Nigeria undergraduate is just to learn a skill. Tailor, Carpenter, mechanic seriously its the best. Don't depend on certificate only.
Re: Ask Graduates On Nairaland by ItsTutsi(m): 2:28pm On May 01, 2022
Alright. Thank you
Stevenson20:

We have many of them. Just follow your heart or you choose the one you have passion for.
Some include: CCTV installation, barbing, house wiring, plumber, Aluminium Fabrication, tailoring, programming etc
Re: Ask Graduates On Nairaland by Reincarnation10: 2:29pm On May 01, 2022
The reality in every part of the world, is that it is hard to be an adult, and what earmarks most people who have gone to college as an adult is graduation.

The problem these days is that there are so many kidults out here, lol, with a smelly sense of entitlement. Dear graduate, if you no work, you no go chop. Education is meant to refine the way you think, and solve life problems. It's not a gatepass to nirvana lol.

2 Likes

Re: Ask Graduates On Nairaland by seanwilliam(m): 2:32pm On May 01, 2022
kingsolomonjnr01:

You're he only one that has spoken well... All I see is People discouraging the young ones from acquiring a better degree.

Get a Degree & a Profitable Skill... That's the goal.
the bolded is easier for someone that have financial backing .

2 Likes

Re: Ask Graduates On Nairaland by seanwilliam(m): 2:33pm On May 01, 2022
This 2022, going to get 4 years degree without your own source of income or without having solid background is not advisable.

To pay school is not even the problem , but to survive for 4 years no Dey easy ..

Now imagine say you husle and finish , u kon go start afresh learning skills ??

It’s not as easy as y’all make it seems.

House rent don high .
Food don cost
Transport don cost
Cloth don cost

An average student can’t live on 5k monthly like before ..
U no go fill gas? U no go buy course material ? U no goDey chop meat/fish once in awhile ? U no go wear cloth ?u no go pay rent? Abi na everyone go get luck to Dey hostel ? U no go enter bus ? And no be everyone Dey get luck to go federal school ..

Now to skills , u no go chop for period of 3 years wey u one take learn and remember, no be every one fit learn digital skills . Yes, and it doesn’t make dem less of a human . We have different brain ..

I no there’s no excuse for failure, but you have to understand that person wey go school for 4 years without skills don try. E no easy.
The blame is on the country not graduates.

Im among the few lucky chaps even though I hustle so hard for it, I’ll still say I’m lucky , some people husle like mad shishi dem no get . And no be say I get money self, but I sha Dey eat 3square meals .

Now imagine say you manage make am small, you will be faced with another problem , - insecurity ..
Even if you japa, shey u no go come back ?

Abi na everyone go get opportunity to japa ??

Nigeria graduates I hail thee. Una Dey try
E no easy .,

19 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Ask Graduates On Nairaland by Equity15(m): 2:34pm On May 01, 2022
I don't understand the downgrade on education by Nigerians though. My advise is; what is worth doing is what doing well.

Go to school and try to finish with a first class or atleast an above 4point CGPA, take the GRE when you're serving (Nysc). Apply for straight PHD or masters in the U.S. Nigeria is a lost cause. If Nigeria doesn't appreciate you; America , canada and the rest are ready to accommodate you.

1 Like

Re: Ask Graduates On Nairaland by Reincarnation10: 2:38pm On May 01, 2022
harmargedon:
After my NYSC I Waka go every company Wey dey Lagos to submit CV. The truth is no one really gave a bleep or looked at us twice.

Re: Ask Graduates On Nairaland by qtguru(m): 2:41pm On May 01, 2022
First of all, what I will say is; this is one of the most fortunate generation to enjoy certain opportunities, the only issue is; you have to be attune to the local and Global environment, in the 90s, you'd have to check the newspaper for jobs until later jobberman came, but recently the scope of labour has moved beyond the Nigerian market to the Global market, its more likely for undergrates to outearn executives in Nigeria due to the dollar rate and what does this require ?, that the individual under-takes a certain skill and offer their service to companies.

There are many opportunuties that Nigerians are not taught to sought after, our education basically teaches what is printed in the book, I doubt anyone analyzes the market and updates the curriculum, because in my university Babcock, naught much was said on Entrepreneurship only on how to apply for jobs, My course was Business Admin and Marketing and only touch on the organizational structure of business and it's envrionments, nothing on startups because then Startup wasn't a trend.

We are in the era of gigs and independent contractors. The Internet has it's own environment and business are jumping on that, which is why we must learn new skills and fortunately some of these skills are realistic and reasonable in terms of complexity.

There are skills that exists that people can take on that do not really require a certificate just expertise. My advice to anyone is too pick a skill and make alot of research, the opportunities out there exists, you just have to apply for these things.

or else you will take an average 9-5 job in Nigeria stuck in Lagos traffic thinking if there's more to life than this at 5 in the morning. I did that for 4 years, i wanted to lose my mind and basically slaving for a shitty pay, less sleep and no opportunity to develop one's self.

Summary is get a skill, look for global opportunities and if possible start a business.

I thank the Op for this topic also

Note: If there's any typo pls let me know

14 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Ask Graduates On Nairaland by Raphaeldhero(m): 2:42pm On May 01, 2022
Osaremwantaelvi:
First I will advise every undergraduate to learn an handwork during any break they have

Comrade, I guess u should have used the word "strike" instead of break you know.

That's to say "undergraduates should learn any handwork during any strike they have".
Re: Ask Graduates On Nairaland by IbeOkehie: 2:42pm On May 01, 2022
Newboss:
What is special about being a graduate? Does being a graduate make you different from the average human hustling to make ends meet?

Nigerian graduates need to drop this useless entitlement mentality. You're not different from the plumber, barber, construction worker, shoemaker, market woman, fashion designers, etc.

Go and fûcking hustle. You're not entitled to nothing you didn't hustle for.

The mentality of entitlement among Nigerian university graduates is a REAL and deep seated problem.

I only realized it 2 or 3 years ago. Going into the subject in any detail is very dangerous. That's the much I can say.

1 Like

Re: Ask Graduates On Nairaland by qtguru(m): 2:43pm On May 01, 2022
seanwilliam:
the bolded is easier for someone that have financial backing .

I agree Finance plays a role, still requires a level of capital
Re: Ask Graduates On Nairaland by PrinceGoku(m): 2:43pm On May 01, 2022
Laeroy:
I graduated in 2009, finisged service 2011, 2orked with some multinationals, but marriage had me relocate to ijebuode, because I couldn't get a job, I became a laundry service provider and a crypto trader, look around you, there are jobs everywhere ..
Pin point one for me biko

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Ecobank Recruitment Very Urgent / Icpc Is Recruiting Graduates / Things You Should Remove From Your Resume Immediately

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.