Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,199 members, 7,818,664 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:14 PM

My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa - Programming (21) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa (126950 Views)

ALX Africa Software Engineering Journey - From Zero To Hero! / My Software Engineering Journey - Alx (journal) / Alx africa vs Udemy ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) ... (41) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Seunfunmi18(m): 8:25pm On Jul 24, 2022
SWEAbim:
Sefunmi, I sent you an E-mail message here. Kindly respond pls.

Okay
Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by socoy: 9:11pm On Jul 24, 2022
Anonymous6o6:
Looks like something interesting would be happening soon, I look forward to the graduation.
did you pay to get certificate??
Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Colareire: 9:52pm On Jul 24, 2022
UyaiIncomparabl:
I just finished the ALX's "virtual assistant" course and aced. Was fun all through. The connects are so worth it. Imagine meeting people from all parts of Africa. Was looking at putting in for the Software Engineering programme but I think I may suffer a burnout. So clueless right now. Been learning Java and C++ but stuff won't just stick, maybe because I suck at Maths, I can't say.

I'll just stick with proceeding with my Product Design lessons jeje.

Please I'm in the recent va cohort that just started, can we connect?
Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by UyaiIncomparabl(f): 10:11pm On Jul 24, 2022
Colareire:

Please I'm in the recent va cohort that just started, can we connect?

Yes, we can. You can send me an email.
Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by SWEAbim: 7:11am On Jul 25, 2022
Thanks for responding. Pls check you email for my main mail.
Seunfunmi18:

Okay
Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by ALFERED007: 11:18am On Jul 25, 2022
Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Colareire: 5:07pm On Jul 25, 2022
UyaiIncomparabl:

Yes, we can. You can send me an email.

Thank you. I have sent you an email.
Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Anonymous6o6: 10:31pm On Jul 26, 2022
Feels like it's been ages since I came here. How has everyone been? Lately, I feel like my work got more stressful, the projects from alx are not nice either. It is even more tiring because I'm combining ALX SE and VA.

I have been trying to catch up on C as soon as I can, today was PLD (peer learning days) which was an opportunity to rest my head but I couldn't. I studied like my life depended on it. This week's milestone project for virtual assistant is quite much and I haven't done much.

Today, we took a survey that was supposed to prepare us for the ROOM. No matter how stressed and tired I am, it makes me more motivated.

By the way, I seriously recommend anyone going for this program to get computer glasses. To avoid stressing your eyes too much since you will be staring at the screen a lot of times, I plan to get one soon because my eyes have been hurting a lot lately, it gets sensitive with light and if it gets too dark. Please protect your eyes and health. Lately, I have been looking for tea or drugs to keep me awake at night because after getting home from work, I'm usually too tired to study but I changed my mind and taking drugs or any tea. Health is wealth.

Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by prohet: 1:24pm On Jul 27, 2022
Oiashe:

Hello, thank you so much for your thread. It's really helped in guiding me for preparing towards the August cohort.

Please I'll really appreciate if you can send a new link to join the group. The last one is reset. Thank you

Am also interested in being added to the group please, my batch is also the august 15th batch. Thanks for your help
Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Ocheinstein(m): 5:49pm On Jul 27, 2022
Hi bro. I am a teacher and have been accepted for the software engineering program. Please advise me accordingly. How can I achieve 14 hours per day? I desire to learn but can't survive without a present source of money.

Anonymous6o6:

When you're done with Harvard and still want to continue then you can try ALX. Looking forward to hearing from you
Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Ocheinstein(m): 6:15pm On Jul 27, 2022
I can conclude based on this (as my premise) that you are fulltime on this study and may not have an 8 to 4pm day Job. This may mean that full time job guys can't succeed in this one

Anonymous6o6:
Gawd!!
I'm so stressed out even though we haven't started C yet

Omo the shell project stressed me oh

It got to a point where all the tasks I have done on my sandbox were nowhere to be found. I tried using the sandbox on my phone and I was able but on the system, I couldn't find them.

I ended up using Termux (A terminal but the phone version) it is really good.

Copied the ssh link, and did the project. Project I started since Morning, I just finished it. I wanna close my eyes and sleep but know tomorrow's project will deal more on advance shell, I will be studying overnight.
Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Avast(m): 7:17pm On Jul 27, 2022
Ocheinstein:
I can conclude based on this (as my premise) that you are fulltime on this study and may not have an 8 to 4pm day Job. This may mean that full time job guys can't succeed in this one

I have 9 to 5 job and I am progressing

1 Like

Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Ocheinstein(m): 8:23pm On Jul 27, 2022
That's all I needed to hear. Can we link up sir. I need this badly

Avast:

I have 9 to 5 job and I am progressing
Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Anonymous6o6: 8:38pm On Jul 27, 2022
Ocheinstein:

My job is 8am - 8pm
I try to shuffle my free time in studying.

1 Like

Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Ocheinstein(m): 8:40pm On Jul 27, 2022
How do you achieve the 14 hours daily? That's the answer that will excite my electrons

Anonymous6o6:

My job is 8am - 8pm
I try to shuffle my free time in studying.

1 Like

Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Anonymous6o6: 8:41pm On Jul 27, 2022
socoy:
did you pay to get certificate??

You won't be paying for anything.

1 Like

Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Anonymous6o6: 8:46pm On Jul 27, 2022
Ocheinstein:
Hi bro. I am a teacher and have been accepted for the software engineering program. Please advise me accordingly. How can I achieve 14 hours per day? I desire to learn but can't survive without a present source of money.

That strongly depends on you. I don't know your schedule but if you are willing to do it then I don't it is impossible.

2 Likes

Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Anonymous6o6: 8:59pm On Jul 27, 2022
From now on, I will be updating this thread like writing a diary (more details about my programming journey).

Lately I have a lot going on, the VA Program (virtual assistant program), my job(my boss has been acting like a monitoring spirit lately), C Programming language and it's project.

I was feeling too overwhelmed from reading many sources for a particular topic, Luckily, I stumbled upon Neso Academy while reading on "Pointers", the video was so detailed that I really enjoyed it!

Silly me decided to start all over again in studying C using Neso Academy, it was fun! But it slowed my progress, I didn't have time to read for the present materials enough and had to turn to my peers for help. But I didn't like that and so, I wrote down the topics out on my notebook, watching the particular contents I found a bit complex and practicing using Sololearn on my phone.

I'm almost done and it is exciting, but because of my dedication for C, I haven't done this week's milestone on VA and there's a lot to do. Last night I kept thinking of a method to keep me awake into the night, I thought of coffee but I wouldn't want it to affect my health because I intend to take it every night! Having gotten advice from friends and colleagues, I decided to sleep early and wake up between 11-12am.

1 Like

Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Anonymous6o6: 9:03pm On Jul 27, 2022
Ocheinstein:
How do you achieve the 14 hours daily? That's the answer that will excite my electrons

You don't have to be online for 14hrs, as long as you do your projects on time! At the beginning, it would be easy but from the second week, you would understand why you need that much time.

Meanwhile I already explained it before, I study at my spare time at work and when I get home at night, I do the rest, if any.

2 Likes

Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Ocheinstein(m): 9:07pm On Jul 27, 2022
This lays everything to rest. I think I can cope. I am a Further mathematics/physics teacher. Somedayd work can be tasking but I think it's time to break even. Thanks @annonymous. I wish I could join your WhatsApp group. Your energy is highly attractive

Anonymous6o6:

You don't have to be online for 14hrs, as long as you do your projects on time! At the beginning, it would be easy but from the second week, you would understand why you need that much time.

Meanwhile I already explained it before, I study at my spare time at work and when I get home at night, I do the rest, if any.

1 Like

Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Avast(m): 9:29pm On Jul 27, 2022
Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by seanmozilla: 6:45pm On Jul 28, 2022
Anonymous6o6:

You won't be paying for anything.
Hi mate, what do you think about starting afresh. I was among the February cohort but along the line, my PC spoilt so I couldn't catch up again. Do you think I can still join the August cohort.
PS: I haven't been disqualified tho.
Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Anonymous6o6: 6:53pm On Jul 28, 2022
seanmozilla:

Hi mate, what do you think about starting afresh. I was among the February cohort but along the line, my PC spoilt so I couldn't catch up again. Do you think I can still join the August cohort.
PS: I haven't been disqualified tho.

Yeah you can but you still use a different email or try the mail you used before.
Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Anonymous6o6: 6:58pm On Jul 28, 2022
I was watching the June cohort graduates of last year and I gotta say, It gave me this nostalgic feeling to work harder, I heard the graduates were 320+ out of thousands that registered!

Meanwhile, I'm excited that tomorrow is PLD and we won't be having any projects for the weekend. No matter how difficult the projects might be, lean on your colleagues for help, it doesn't mean you're dumb, practicing collaboration and team work will help you go far in ALX.
Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Anonymous6o6: 6:59pm On Jul 28, 2022
Oops I almost forgot to post this.

Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by seanmozilla: 7:45pm On Jul 28, 2022
Anonymous6o6:

Yeah you can but you still use a different email or try the mail you used before.
Aiit bro. I will let you know how it goes
Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Segzycool001: 12:04am On Jul 29, 2022
Please should we register for informatical training , and the shell,git,emacs,vim can we learn it on YouTube before the class on August
Anonymous6o6 please can i connect with you am a new member here ,for August cohort
Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Anonymous6o6: 4:08am On Jul 29, 2022
Segzycool001:
Please should we register for informatical training , and the shell,git,emacs,vim can we learn it on YouTube before the class on August
Anonymous6o6 please can i connect with you am a new member here ,for August cohort

Yeah, that's a good idea
Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by seanmozilla: 9:15am On Jul 29, 2022
Anonymous6o6:

Yeah, that's a good idea
So, I got accepted this morning. What I want to do now is to prepare ahead of the class. I'll be starting with the C programming since I'm already familiar with linux, git and vim.
Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Anonymous6o6: 12:02pm On Jul 29, 2022
For next week's project (Friday to be precise), we will be working in pairs! We're expected to chose pairs or alx will pair you with anyone.

Mehn... I'm having headache thinking about it, mostly because I'm behind in C. Well... Let's just see how it goes.

Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Anonymous6o6: 12:31pm On Jul 29, 2022
seanmozilla:

So, I got accepted this morning. What I want to do now is to prepare ahead of the class. I'll be starting with the C programming since I'm already familiar with linux, git and vim.

You need to familiar yourself with emacs, vim, shell commands before going for C language.
Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Beenkay(f): 1:01pm On Jul 29, 2022
Hello Tracy, I must commend you for this thread. I was accepted this morning for the August cohort. I did a quick google search to get people's review about the programme and I stumbled on this thread. I've read it from the beginning, and I must say that I've gotten the encouragement I need to start this program cos I was initially contemplating on how I'd be able to combine my job and this rigorous but promising program. You're really strong, combining two ALX programs plus your 8am - 8pm job, plus using your phone. Girl! How can I not be motivated? If you can, then I too can!
Thank you once again and for the updates, please keep them coming.

PS: I would love to connect with people in same cohort or higher, so we can be accountability partners throughout the duration of this programme.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) ... (41) (Reply)

Freely Download Music, Videos, And Games All In One Place / A Thread For Tutorial On Python Programming / Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.