Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,717 members, 7,824,033 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 08:56 PM

My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa - Programming (22) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa (127371 Views)

ALX Africa Software Engineering Journey - From Zero To Hero! / My Software Engineering Journey - Alx (journal) / Alx africa vs Udemy ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) ... (41) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Anonymous6o6: 2:33pm On Jul 29, 2022
Beenkay:
Hello Tracy, I must commend you for this thread. I was accepted this morning for the August cohort. I did a quick google search to get people's review about the programme and I stumbled on this thread. I've read it from the beginning, and I must say that I've gotten the encouragement I need to start this program cos I was initially contemplating on how I'd be able to combine my job and this rigorous but promising program. You're really strong, combining two ALX programs plus your 8am - 8pm job, plus using your phone. Girl! How can I not be motivated? If you can, then I too can!
Thank you once again and for the updates, please keep them coming.

PS: I would love to connect with people in same cohort or higher, so we can be accountability partners throughout the duration of this programme.

Hi Beenkay
I'm glad to see you're motivated and has been accepted to the program. You can join the group created for August cohort and connect with your peers.

I look forward to hearing about your experience.
Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Anonymous6o6: 2:46pm On Jul 29, 2022
Some people would call it an exaggeration but for me, alx is one of the best program I have encountered. Through this program I have connected with so many great people I would have never thought of connecting with. Lately, I have been so hooked with work and combining the programs that I didn't have much time for my colleagues (let's be real, people would follow you if you have the skills) I need to study harder not to disappoint myself because I feel everyone is growing so fast while I'm still behind.

Now, I bring you news!!!
Alx news!!! Dramatic song plays in the background...

Well... It's not really a big deal or news as per say!

2 Likes

Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Techstar: 5:22pm On Jul 29, 2022
Anonymous6o6:
Some people would call it an exaggeration but for me, alx is one of the best program I have encountered. Through this program I have connected with so many great people I would have never thought of connecting with. Lately, I have been so hooked with work and combining the programs that I didn't have much time for my colleagues (let's be real, people would follow you if you have the skills) I need to study harder not to disappoint myself because I feel everyone is growing so fast while I'm still behind.

Now, I bring you news!!!

I hope you have a linkedin page where you are documenting your journey? Your thread is inspiring, it will inspire more in LinkedIn and twitter.
Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Anonymous6o6: 6:07pm On Jul 29, 2022
Techstar:
I hope you have a linkedin page where you are documenting your journey? Your thread is inspiring, it will inspire more in LinkedIn and twitter.

I never really thought about it! I guess I will do that, thanks for the recommendation.

1 Like

Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Xandelle: 8:08pm On Jul 29, 2022
GuestReader88:

I've completed these steps as instructed. How do I find Emacs and Vim on the Cygwin terminal?

I installed Emacs but can't find the editors, Emacs and Vim. What do I do next, please?

I only have Cygwin terminal running now.

Sorry I missed this mention.

See, vi, vim, emacs etc are editors that work like command line. Some may have GUI interfaces, but default mode looks like command line.

To see if vim is already installed, get to the shell and type the command: vim
Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Mcstaid(m): 12:26am On Jul 30, 2022
Op thanks for creating an informative trend like this.. I just stumble unpon this trend and from what I have read I'm been motivated..
Pls add me to the group I am in August cohort
Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Ihenzy(m): 7:53am On Jul 30, 2022
UyaiIncomparabl:
I just finished the ALX's "virtual assistant" course and aced. Was fun all through. The connects are so worth it. Imagine meeting people from all parts of Africa. Was looking at putting in for the Software Engineering programme but I think I may suffer a burnout. So clueless right now. Been learning Java and C++ but stuff won't just stick, maybe because I suck at Maths, I can't say.

I'll just stick with proceeding with my Product Design lessons jeje.
Just finished too.
It was worth it

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Docdavid: 2:37pm On Jul 30, 2022
Anonymous6o6:

Please be patient
He added a couple of people today, you will soon be added.
Good day please I have also sent an email of my number but I haven't been added.
Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by pwresh123: 11:44pm On Jul 30, 2022
I just pray that we are not asked to pay any 17% of our income after graduation and that it is completely free. Because to me this seems too good to be true
Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by dauntless15(m): 12:23am On Jul 31, 2022
Beenkay:
Hello Tracy, I must commend you for this thread. I was accepted this morning for the August cohort. I did a quick google search to get people's review about the programme and I stumbled on this thread. I've read it from the beginning, and I must say that I've gotten the encouragement I need to start this program cos I was initially contemplating on how I'd be able to combine my job and this rigorous but promising program. You're really strong, combining two ALX programs plus your 8am - 8pm job, plus using your phone. Girl! How can I not be motivated? If you can, then I too can!

PS: I would love to connect with people in same cohort or higher, so we can be accountability partners throughout the duration of this programme.
I was accepted for the august cohort too but I'm totally clueless rn, is they any group for August cohort?
Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Anonymous6o6: 8:56am On Jul 31, 2022
Docdavid:

Good day please I have also sent an email of my number but I haven't been added.

Make use of this link

https:// chat.whatsapp. com/FPdHmsP4WvcJmN7Rklf9WH

Close in the spaces before using it
Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Anonymous6o6: 8:58am On Jul 31, 2022
pwresh123:
I just pray that we are not asked to pay any 17% of our income after graduation and that it is completely free. Because to me this seems too good to be true

Even if required to pay I will pay! That is, after getting a job. If not, I will still donate. It is just too good to take in without giving anything back to the community.

8 Likes

Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Anonymous6o6: 9:03am On Jul 31, 2022
This week is going to be a busy one! I already have a deadline is of VA today and I intend to study this too.

I have been practicing my communication skills and learning patience (This was part of the soft skills taught for virtual assistant) and it has been very helpful! Anyways, happy Sunday guys.

I recently started posting about my experience on LinkedIn, we could connect on LinkedIn if you're down for it.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by MaskedBandit(m): 2:40pm On Jul 31, 2022
Anonymous6o6:

I have sent it.
Hello! I've been following your thread on ALX and i must appreciate your courage and dedication regardless of the limitations you've had.

I begin this August & will be grateful if you can send a pdf copy of the C File to maskedbanditofficial@gmail.com please.

Many thanks.

1 Like

Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by MaskedBandit(m): 2:55pm On Jul 31, 2022
Anonymous6o6:

From the picture below

Those are the scores and From the second picture, you can see where they write "score:100%"

On the 'Growth Mindset Task', were you given a topic/questions to ask the adult please?
Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by MaskedBandit(m): 3:09pm On Jul 31, 2022
Anonymous6o6:
Good Evening Everyone
I come with beautiful news and that's no exaggeration

The first is that, I wrote an article on Emacs, not going to force anyone to read but if you're curious, I will drop the link.

Secondly, I discovered through a colleague currently in the 6th cohort that the 80% score required, in order to continue the program is not just for the first month but every sprint!

Below, I'm going to share a picture of a guy who has been in the program since March (4 months) but score below 80%. So, if you survive the first month and relax, that might cost you your place in the program.

Kindly share link please.
maskedbanditofficial@gmail.com
Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by seanmozilla: 3:14pm On Jul 31, 2022
Anonymous6o6:

You need to familiar yourself with emacs, vim, shell commands before going for C language.

I knew those ones
Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by seanmozilla: 3:17pm On Jul 31, 2022
Beenkay:

My cohort is starting by August 15
Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Anonymous6o6: 4:23pm On Jul 31, 2022
MaskedBandit:

Hello! I've been following your thread on ALX and i must appreciate your courage and dedication regardless of the limitations you've had.

I begin this August & will be grateful if you can send a pdf copy of the C File to maskedbanditofficial@gmail.com please.

Many thanks.

Alright I will do that soon.

1 Like

Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Anonymous6o6: 4:24pm On Jul 31, 2022
MaskedBandit:

On the 'Growth Mindset Task', were you given a topic/questions to ask the adult please?

Well yeah

1 Like

Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Classic1(m): 12:14pm On Aug 01, 2022
pwresh123:

I don't know why people are so selfish. They just want to TAKE , TAKE AND TAKE and never GIVE back.
Let's assume you are asked to pay, what is wrong with it Without this ALX how will you be able to get the knowledge talk less of making ANY money off of it.

You consider it to be TOO GOOD yet you want to shy away from paying a thing even AFTER getting a job Damn!!! What a mindset!.

For the record you will not be asked to pay a thing, BUT I will gladly pay if asked, to support the community and to continue empowering the African Child.

5 Likes

Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Donangelo(m): 9:03pm On Aug 01, 2022
Please House, is this computer good to learn Web design and Development. With the price and specifications?

Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by sanmisamuel: 9:49pm On Aug 01, 2022
Intel pentium is a laptop for a patient man, it is very affordable but you have to be patient with the speed.
Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Donangelo(m): 10:36pm On Aug 01, 2022
Please recommend a good laptop for me to learn Programming and on a budget price.
sanmisamuel:
Intel pentium is a laptop for a patient man, it is very affordable but you have to be patient with the speed.
Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Classic1(m): 5:54am On Aug 02, 2022
Donangelo:
Please recommend a good laptop for me to learn Programming and on a budget price.

Start from a core i3 or corei5 cpu computer.

And after you have gotten the computer, buy an additional RAM in the market and upgrade it.
Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Lordsagna: 8:38am On Aug 02, 2022
Good morning here, I've been selected for the august batch I need the WhatsApp Link seems those one has expired
Anonymous6o6:

Alright I will do that soon.
Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by sanmisamuel: 9:11am On Aug 02, 2022
Classic1:

Start from a core i3 or corei5 cpu computer.

And after you have gotten the computer, buy an additional RAM in the market and upgrade it.

Solution provided, it's all based on how much you have. Within 70 to 150

1 Like

Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Lordsagna: 9:24am On Aug 02, 2022
Somebody should please add me to the WhatsApp group for August cohert or send the link

1 Like

Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Canopy2018(m): 1:44pm On Aug 02, 2022
Please can I have your number. I need to confirm some things from you. Here is mine 09036508139

Anonymous6o6:

Now, I bring you news!!!

Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Canopy2018(m): 1:52pm On Aug 02, 2022
Can you send me these PDFs... please, I am resuming next 2weeks

Anonymous6o6:
The software engineering curriculum
Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Anonymous6o6: 3:13pm On Aug 02, 2022
Lordsagna:
Somebody should please add me to the WhatsApp group for August cohert or send the link

I posted the link above nah
Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Anonymous6o6: 3:14pm On Aug 02, 2022
Canopy2018:
Can you send me these PDFs... please, I am resuming next 2weeks

Please join group, all the materials you need have been dropped there. And if you need the materials, stroll up

(1) (2) (3) ... (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) ... (41) (Reply)

Freely Download Music, Videos, And Games All In One Place / A Thread For Tutorial On Python Programming / Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.