Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,128 members, 7,811,191 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 05:43 AM

My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa - Programming (23) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa (126520 Views)

ALX Africa Software Engineering Journey - From Zero To Hero! / My Software Engineering Journey - Alx (journal) / Alx africa vs Udemy ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) ... (41) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Anonymous6o6: 3:24pm On Aug 02, 2022
Mehn... I have been so busy that I barely have a life these days. Alx virtual assistant program just git tougher! And trying to combine both is giving me headache.

Recently, I moved my alx experience to my LinkedIn, you can check it out, I hope to connect with you all. Below is the link to my LinkedIn profile...

https: //www.linkedin.com/in/tracy-okorie-8ba64b214

You have to close in the spaces to access the link, my schedule has been too tight because of many engagement I have to follow up on. The August cohort group has been functioning so well and the group is almost filled up. They're about 500+ there now. We had a google meeting yesterday to discuss the concept of emacs, vim, shell, and the sandbox. It was a pretty interesting one.

We all agreed to follow one another on LinkedIn, Twitter and engage in each other's post. Since I started posting on LinkedIn, it's been awesome! I can't believe I ignored that app all this while.

Meanwhile, C language has been dealing with me lol but I don't intend to give up! Lately I feel like I have friends around me and it is pretty reassuring.
Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Lordsagna: 4:00pm On Aug 02, 2022
Anonymous6o6:

I posted the link above nah
it's expired sir
Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Lordsagna: 4:04pm On Aug 02, 2022
It says the group Link was reset
Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Luckydonalds(m): 5:41pm On Aug 02, 2022
Anonymous6o6:
The August cohort group has been functioning so well and the group is almost filled up. They're about 500+ there now. We had a google meeting yesterday to discuss the concept of emacs, vim, shell, and the sandbox.
I registered for ALX software engineering program last month and I got accepted same day saying I would be onboarded on August 15th. I'm yet to hear from then since then and I'm surprised by this. Have I missed anything already?
Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Anonymous6o6: 5:54pm On Aug 02, 2022
Luckydonalds:

I registered for ALX software engineering program last month and I got accepted same day saying I would be onboarded on August 15th. I'm yet to hear from then since then and I'm surprised by this. Have I missed anything already?

Why not try searching "alx" on your message, it could be in your spam message.
Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Anonymous6o6: 5:56pm On Aug 02, 2022
Lordsagna:
it's expired sir

Oh sorry

I came back because of that, the group is filled already. I'm currently looking at the next step to take
Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Techstar: 6:20pm On Aug 02, 2022
Anonymous6o6:

Oh sorry

I came back because of that, the group is filled already. I'm currently looking at the next step to take
just thought to share this. Anyone that wants to learn C, can download Sam's teach yourself c pdf, very simple and well explained. You can Google programmiz c ide, it is an online ide where you can test and run your C codes. Best of luck.

6 Likes

Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Lordsagna: 6:49pm On Aug 02, 2022
Anonymous6o6:

Oh sorry

Alright sir
Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Lordsagna: 6:38am On Aug 03, 2022
Techstar:
just thought to share this. Anyone that wants to learn C, can download Sam's teach yourself c pdf, very simple and well explained. You can Google programmiz c ide, it is an online ide where you can test and run your C codes. Best of luck.
Do you use vscode to run C?
Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Lordsagna: 6:39am On Aug 03, 2022
Anonymous6o6:

Oh sorry

Please create another group Sir
Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Lordsagna: 6:49am On Aug 03, 2022
August cohort please tell me what I need to know, I don't really have any coding experience aside doing some childs play on vscode python....
What do I need to scale through this program cos I don't want to drop out inspite any challenges?
can those in medical school also apply?
Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Techstar: 8:15am On Aug 03, 2022
Lordsagna:

Do you use vscode to run C?
No, I don't
Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Lordsagna: 8:26am On Aug 03, 2022
Techstar:
No, I don't
which editor do you use?
Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Techstar: 8:34am On Aug 03, 2022
Lordsagna:

which editor do you use?
for C language, personal practice only, I use C programmiz online editor, you can Google it to get their website address.
For alx projects, the sandbox works fine.
Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by sanmisamuel: 9:28am On Aug 03, 2022
Luckydonalds:

I don't think you should be worried right now.

Submission closes 8 of August, programme starts 15th of August. So let's be looking at between 8 and 15th of August.

1 Like

Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Lordsagna: 10:53am On Aug 03, 2022
Techstar:
for C language, personal practice only, I use C programmiz online editor, you can Google it to get their website address.
For alx projects, the sandbox works fine.
How can I get the sandbox
Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by theodes: 11:37am On Aug 03, 2022
Anonymous6o6:
There's something important you need to know, although it is practically possible but then it isn't impossible.

If you read through all the materials sent by alx team before your projects especially for C, you seriously won't lag behind.

Since today, I have been studying C on freecodecamp, it was a very good material to be honest. I learnt the history of C and how it was created by Bells from B language and BCL.

Funny but I also discovered for alx students, while being introduced to the basics of C, we want immediately start learning the basics of data structures and algorithms (array and Singly Linked Lists) to be precise.

ALX SE team sent a very GOOD pdf that contains the summary of C but it is mostly focused data structures. So I have been studying different materials and taking notes.

Pls can u send me d pdf on C
OBASAM67@gmail.com
Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Avast(m): 11:44am On Aug 03, 2022
Lordsagna:

cool down bro, don't rush it.

You will have access to sandbox when you start your program
Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Techstar: 12:11pm On Aug 03, 2022
Lordsagna:

You will have access to it when you start the program

1 Like

Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Anonymous6o6: 2:50pm On Aug 03, 2022
Lordsagna:
August cohort please tell me what I need to know, I don't really have any coding experience aside doing some childs play on vscode python....
What do I need to scale through this program cos I don't want to drop out inspite any challenges?
can those in medical school also apply?

Start studying the following
Emacs
Vim
Shell commands
Pseudocode
Git and GitHub

To make your experience in alx easier

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Anonymous6o6: 2:51pm On Aug 03, 2022
theodes:

Pls can u send me d pdf on C
OBASAM67@gmail.com

Please email me
Right now, I'm kinda busy
Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Anonymous6o6: 2:52pm On Aug 03, 2022
Lordsagna:

That would be when you commence the program. You would be required to register for the intranet to access the sandbox.
Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Anonymous6o6: 3:04pm On Aug 03, 2022
My commitment to my LinkedIn seem to be paying off, y'all can check it out, let's connect.

https:// www.linkedin.com/in/tracy-okorie-8ba64b214

Ensure you close the spaces before using the link, alx students, let's connect and support one another.

Since today, I haven't opened my WhatsApp, I challenged myself to stay off social media and commit to ALX SE and VA.

This is currently my 4th week on ALX virtual assistant program and this is my 3rd month on ALX software engineering program. It hasn't been easy, they were times I got depressed thinking I'm not learning at all even though I do study, but I'm grateful to my friends and colleagues who still take out their time to check up on me. Thank you!

The way this week's projects were structured is a bit annoying! In other words, today, tomorrow and the next being Friday, we would be receiving projects daily!

I have a couple of VA events to attend too, mehn, we all have 24hrs in a day, can't let mine be different. I remember advising people against combining Program lol. But the reason I did combine was because I want to quit my current job! It takes too much of my time (8am - 8pm). If I can graduate the VA Program, I intend to work remotely. Now... Comes the tricky part, I can't finish the program without a system, luckily there's a cafe close to me which I intend to visit if it ever comes to the point where I can no longer use my phone.

If you want something, go for it, don't let your current situation be a hindrance to your ambition.

3 Likes

Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Mike7302: 3:24pm On Aug 03, 2022
Abeg what's this peer learning stuff about?
Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Anonymous6o6: 3:33pm On Aug 03, 2022
Mike7302:
Abeg what's this peer learning stuff about?

You're peered with 9 people to discuss about the previous project you did. That way, it gives you an understanding from explaining.
Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by DavidISMYNAME: 5:39pm On Aug 03, 2022
Anonymous6o6:
Good Morning guys

First, I'm going to do a quick recap...
Week 0 and week 1 were used to learn
- emacs
- vi editor
- Git and GitHub
- Shell navigation

We're currently in week 1, so we're still on the above but I'm done with all my projects and currently studying C language.

I recently opened a leetcode account lol. I'm not in a hurry, just going through the question and trying to solve them.

We will be starting C projects on the 3rd week, next week which is the 2nd week will be for advance learning of Shell, vagrant, emacs, vi and git.

Lately, I and my colleagues have been working on C by using alx C project. Because there was something I noticed. Alx projects are a way to ensure that you studied the materials. You might finish reading a manual on emacs and when you try doing the projects, you then discover, it's a bit ambiguous.

Which is why it is important to have a Note! I currently have four notes
One for C language
One for emacs and vi editors
One for shell

I can't do without jotting, it is good for easy reference when doing projects!

Hi brother I am also a cohort 7 member and I have been experiencing burnouts and frustrations lately,especially on C projects,pls is there anyone on C variables-else,if e.t.c that we can work together and achieve mutual results online but pls if you stay in kano,I would appreciate for a link up
Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by kunlexy0807: 6:01pm On Aug 03, 2022
Anonymous6o6:

You're peered with 9 people to discuss about the previous project you did. That way, it gives you an understanding from explaining.
anonymous pls, send the link of the said WhatsApp group and pls what cohort are u on. I'm for the may cohort (cohort 7) and I'm currently doing the simple shell project which is a partnership project. I need help for that project.
Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Anonymous6o6: 12:13pm On Aug 04, 2022
DavidISMYNAME:

Hi brother I am also a cohort 7 member and I have been experiencing burnouts and frustrations lately,especially on C projects,pls is there anyone on C variables-else,if e.t.c that we can work together and achieve mutual results online but pls if you stay in kano,I would appreciate for a link up

Send me a message on email with your WhatsApp number
Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Anonymous6o6: 12:15pm On Aug 04, 2022
kunlexy0807:
anonymous pls, send the link of the said WhatsApp group and pls what cohort are u on. I'm for the may cohort (cohort 7) and I'm currently doing the simple shell project which is a partnership project. I need help for that project.

Oh you guys are almost done with C languages? Send me an email so I can send the link
Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by oshobugiesamuel(m): 6:39am On Aug 05, 2022
hefexzy:
I am interestedin this, i stay in Ikorodu.

Me too
Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by oshobugiesamuel(m): 6:41am On Aug 05, 2022
Gospel367:

Hello bro, since you are the owner of this thread, I believe you should be the best to pass the info.

is there anyone live in central Lagos like ketu, Ikeja or so. If willing, let's team together like 4 or 5, if the person is willing, let's buy unlimited data (fibreone offers unlimited data at 11k but you need the first installation that costs 37k)...if we can be up to 4, we can foot the bill, subsequent months, spend less than 3k for unlimited...and study together till we are through

On work, we can still team together and find a part time hustle we can do in the evening to get income unless we have other jobs to do.

This is not easy but it's a sacrifice of one year. My house would have been best since I have two big rooms but it's far away in ikorodu and I doubt if fibreone gets there. ..

Any better option will be appreciated....

Sharing of resources like laptop will suffice and be helpful too

How do we contact you

(1) (2) (3) ... (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) ... (41) (Reply)

Freely Download Music, Videos, And Games All In One Place / A Thread For Tutorial On Python Programming / Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.