Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,950 members, 7,952,831 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 04:48 AM

Can You Take The Risk Of Marrying A Genotype Incompartible Partner? - Romance (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Can You Take The Risk Of Marrying A Genotype Incompartible Partner? (20015 Views)

Poll: CAN YOU MARRY A S GENOTYPE IF YOU ARE A S?

YES WE MIGHT BE LUCKY: 24% (32 votes)
NO CANNOT TAKE THE RISK: 75% (98 votes)
This poll has ended

The Disadvantages Of Marrying A Virgin. / How I Ended Up Marrying The Lady I Met On Facebook / 10 Ways To Avoid Marrying The Wrong Person (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can You Take The Risk Of Marrying A Genotype Incompartible Partner? by spyder99: 12:29am On Jul 13, 2011
Sickle cell disease is a serious medical problem that should not be taken lightly.
Anyone that has lost a loved one through this condition would probably know better.
For a couple with AS and AS genotype, there is a 25% chance of having a SS child with each pregnancy.

97% of people of caucasian descent have the AA genotype while 45% of people of Black African descent have AA genotype.
Re: Can You Take The Risk Of Marrying A Genotype Incompartible Partner? by ceasyc(f): 1:37am On Jul 13, 2011
NOPE = bad 4king idea/move!

my friend's mom who is d 1st wife of her hubby married him in d 70's and had male n female kids 4 him

years later he married a 2nd wife who also had male n female kids 4 d same man

2nd wife's kids starts dropping dead 1 after d other

my friend's mom was accused of witchcraft & suspected of killing her step kids until a routine check made d man

& his 2nd wife go 2 d clinic. d doctor ran some tests n behold genotype was one of dem

result of both 2nd wife n husband = AS + AS = 4/5 kids lost to sickle cell (SS). SO NA SS DEY KILL DEM. AHA! she still has 1 kid left = one AS

d one dat died last after dey found out about d AS SS THINGY was in 2006 a female over 30 n a graduate (she suffer no b small oh) = no hubby, no kids

doc advised d man to bring his 1st wife n behold she was AS as well but lucky 4 her, all her kids were either AA or AS

yes dey were ignorant cos lots of pple had no idea wot SS AA AS, ETC meant in d 70's n all dem yrs medical thingy neva advance

but we aint in d 70's no more n medical stuff has advanced so y do something so 4king DUMB now

1 Like

Re: Can You Take The Risk Of Marrying A Genotype Incompartible Partner? by dramenda(f): 2:42am On Jul 13, 2011
My
Re: Can You Take The Risk Of Marrying A Genotype Incompartible Partner? by Nobody: 10:17am On Jul 13, 2011
ceasyc:

NOPE = bad 4king idea/move!

my friend's mom who is d 1st wife of her hubby married him in d 70's and had male n female kids 4 him

years later he married a 2nd wife who also had male n female kids 4 d same man

2nd wife's kids starts dropping dead 1 after d other

my friend's mom was accused of witchcraft & suspected of killing her step kids until a routine check made d man

& his 2nd wife go 2 d clinic. d doctor ran some tests n behold genotype was one of dem

result of both 2nd wife n husband = AS + AS = 4/5 kids lost to sickle cell (SS). SO NA SS DEY KILL DEM. AHA! she still has 1 kid left = one AS

d one dat died last after dey found out about d AS SS THINGY was in 2006 a female over 30 n a graduate (she suffer no b small oh) = no hubby, no kids

doc advised d man to bring his 1st wife n behold she was AS as well but lucky 4 her, all her kids were either AA or AS

yes dey were ignorant cos lots of pple had no idea wot SS AA AS, ETC meant in d 70's n all dem yrs medical thingy neva advance

but we aint in d 70's no more n medical stuff has advanced so y do something so 4king DUMB now

Pls Tell the Mofos!!! undecided
Re: Can You Take The Risk Of Marrying A Genotype Incompartible Partner? by Bukittes(f): 10:43am On Jul 13, 2011
Well, Faith works and if both of u have the faith that u can actually not have an ss then go ahead. But pls have the option of doing the tests for the foestus b4 its too late. Meanwhile, just like someone posted out here, if no AA agrees to marry the SS, who is going to marry them. Lets stop discriminating, there are sicknessess out there that are worse than SCA and HIV/AIDS! People sleep healthy and die everyday despite the fact that they were healthy the night before! So its not the fact that u have a disease that kills u. I have seen sicklers who have outlived their mockers! It is well with us. If u r AA and u meet an SS, pls let love prevail and go ahead xcept of course u r a fair-weather lover!!!

1 Like

Re: Can You Take The Risk Of Marrying A Genotype Incompartible Partner? by rahouf1: 11:24am On Jul 13, 2011
its capital NO, i really fell bad when i experience it,the time my sister lost her daughter, pls it avoidable now before its too late.
even doctor confirmed that it is risky.
please desist
Re: Can You Take The Risk Of Marrying A Genotype Incompartible Partner? by amarush(f): 8:18pm On Jul 13, 2011
Me and and my husband are both AS, our two year old daughter is AA, we had CV to determine her genotype. Trying for a second child now, will do CVS again and pray to my God that baby is AA or AS.
Re: Can You Take The Risk Of Marrying A Genotype Incompartible Partner? by Omolola1(f): 8:23pm On Jul 13, 2011
hell to the NO. Can neva ever take that risk. B4 anythn can go further, genotype tests az to be conducted
Re: Can You Take The Risk Of Marrying A Genotype Incompartible Partner? by Nobody: 1:14am On Jul 14, 2011
Well I am SS and my fiance is AS. I can assure you that no one knows of the sufferings caused by sickel cell than i. I come from a family of 5 and 4 of us are SS. Thank God we are alive and doing welll despite the terrible challlenges. The 1st decision I beg you to make regardless of who you marry is not to bring in SS children into this world. I and my fiance have chosen to go ahead and marry deciding that we'll have only 1 or 2kids and via IVF. We will undergo preimplantation genotype testing so only the embryos that are not SS will be implanted. We made this choice because I can't imagine getting pregnant then aborting if its SS. The point is your life will be much easier if you marry a person whose genotype is compatible with yours but if not there are other ways to prevent having SS kids just do your research and it will probably cost you a lot but its much better than the financial and emotional costs that come with the disease. I beg whatever you do, do not bring children into this world with sickle cell
Re: Can You Take The Risk Of Marrying A Genotype Incompartible Partner? by oxygyne(m): 8:06am On Jul 14, 2011
tatiana009:

Well I am SS and my fiance is AS. I can assure you that no one knows of the sufferings caused by sickel cell than i. I come from a family of 5 and 4 of us are SS. Thank God we are alive and doing welll despite the terrible challlenges. The 1st decision I beg you to make regardless of who you marry is not to bring in SS children into this world. I and my fiance have chosen to go ahead and marry deciding that we'll have only 1 or 2kids and via IVF. We will undergo preimplantation genotype testing so only the embryos that are not SS will be implanted. We made this choice because I can't imagine getting pregnant then aborting if its SS. The point is your life will be much easier if you marry a person whose genotype is compatible with yours but if not there are other ways to prevent having SS kids just do your research and it will probably cost you a lot but its much better than the financial and emotional costs that come with the disease. I beg whatever you do, do not bring children into this world with sickle cell

Tatiana; of all the posts have read, there is nothing better than a personal experience and i seriously applaud you for deciding to marry an AS even after all you have been through. I also have a family friend whose in a family with 2 out of 3 kids being SS and i tell you it is one of the most emotionally and financially draining situation.

I would advise all to read your very straight forward post so as to understand the consequence should they go ahead and to also understand that in this century there are ways to prevent such even if you decide to marry incompatible partners. GODbless you tatiana and may He comfort you in your time of pain and ofcos heal you as we know He can do it,

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can You Take The Risk Of Marrying A Genotype Incompartible Partner? by OlokoNla1(m): 10:21am On Jul 14, 2011
Africa
Three quarters of sickle-cell cases occur in Africa. A recent WHO report estimated that around 2% of newborns in Nigeria were affected by sickle cell anaemia, giving a total of 150,000 affected children born every year in Nigeria alone. The carrier frequency ranges between 10% and 40% across equatorial Africa, decreasing to 1–2% on the north African coast and <1% in South Africa.[30]
, Wikipedia
Re: Can You Take The Risk Of Marrying A Genotype Incompartible Partner? by Abbycrown(f): 10:34am On Jul 14, 2011
It may be hard to let go, but you have to think about the future and be brave about it. The present heartbreak from separation is better than the future heartbreak from losing the fruits of your relationship.
Re: Can You Take The Risk Of Marrying A Genotype Incompartible Partner? by Nobody: 11:42am On Jul 14, 2011
To me its a BIG NO,it doesnt worth d stress.Sometimes letting go doesnt mean u r not strong enough to continue buh hw brave u r to stand.Think twice bro.
Re: Can You Take The Risk Of Marrying A Genotype Incompartible Partner? by isalegan2: 1:48am On Jul 15, 2011
Don't know much about genetics, but if the at-risk wife carrying the fetus poses no threat, why not get egg from a non-risky donor and have the wife carry the husband's baby. That's what I'd do. Definitely would marry the love of my life; just won't put the children at risk. That would mean no children from my ovaries, but if you carry a child to term, who's to know. . . ?

Sounds complex? Sorry, I can't make it any clearer than that. wink
Re: Can You Take The Risk Of Marrying A Genotype Incompartible Partner? by DaDoctor: 12:23pm On Jul 15, 2011
Sexkills! Your issues much oh!
You no wan phuck(while others go dey help u do am)
Now u wan still marry same girl even as she no dey compatible(Na kpai be that oh!)

Make sure say you noa ttack me when u dey reply o! Na advise i just give u
Re: Can You Take The Risk Of Marrying A Genotype Incompartible Partner? by monblaze(f): 8:39pm On Jul 16, 2011
Personally, I cant
but not errbody is the same,
especially when one has gotten 2 certain stage in the relationship or is already married before finding out
thats why if you are AS or SS you should be more careful n should maybe even be a question u'd ask on the first date sef grin

I have a family friend, they are AS n AS all their 4 kids turned out AA,
they were lucky because dey ddnt kno each others' till after they were married,
dey may b excused because twas bout 30yrs ago n dey grew up in the more rural ares of naija
my cousin has two one AA n the other SS, it sucks like crazy
but luckily the boy doesnt get ill that much sha.

so me, i cant, you, good luck mehn,
Re: Can You Take The Risk Of Marrying A Genotype Incompartible Partner? by forkinsonlolo(m): 4:01pm On Jul 08, 2012
embarassedso sad i have to let her go embarassed embarassed
Re: Can You Take The Risk Of Marrying A Genotype Incompartible Partner? by straneur(m): 11:41pm On Jul 21, 2013
tatiana009: Well I am SS and my fiance is AS. I can assure you that no one knows of the sufferings caused by sickel cell than i. I come from a family of 5 and 4 of us are SS. Thank God we are alive and doing welll despite the terrible challlenges. The 1st decision I beg you to make regardless of who you marry is not to bring in SS children into this world. I and my fiance have chosen to go ahead and marry deciding that we'll have only 1 or 2kids and via IVF. We will undergo preimplantation genotype testing so only the embryos that are not SS will be implanted. We made this choice because I can't imagine getting pregnant then aborting if its SS. The point is your life will be much easier if you marry a person whose genotype is compatible with yours but if not there are other ways to prevent having SS kids just do your research and it will probably cost you a lot but its much better than the financial and emotional costs that come with the disease. I beg whatever you do, do not bring children into this world with sickle cell

Wow! I applaud you!
Re: Can You Take The Risk Of Marrying A Genotype Incompartible Partner? by figur: 3:27pm On Jul 22, 2013
Re: Can You Take The Risk Of Marrying A Genotype Incompartible Partner? by WAM1(f): 4:32pm On Jul 22, 2013
X-factoria:
@ Poster:

First and foremost, the AS/AS chances of having SS is unfortunately overrated. It is as everyone knows, a 25% chance but unfortunately, people talk about it as if it is the most likely probability of 75%.

My advice to anyone about to make a decision in an AS/AS relationship is to seek God's direction. If God is in it, believe me, you will never come by any SS child. God's ways are not our ways. The people involved should pray and if possible enjoin other spirit-filled friends/pastors to pray with them for direction.

My sister in-law and her husband are both AS and they have three kids: 2 AS and one AA and they never had any CVS nor abortion. In fact, the man has always thought he is AA until he took the test in his own laboratory only to find out that he is AS after 2 children.

If I were in this situation and the lady has everything I want and the only problem is that we are both AS, I will take the risk and hope for the best. Marriage is not all about children.

Enough said!!! I like the seeking Gods direction n if God is in it part smiley
Re: Can You Take The Risk Of Marrying A Genotype Incompartible Partner? by WAM1(f): 4:49pm On Jul 22, 2013
duduspace: A lot of ignorance being spewed on here and it shows most people do not really have true love in their lives.

1. You don't need to have children to be happy or else all the impotent and barren people would be swimming in the atlantic.
2. Its got to do with probabilities and not set in stone that two people with AS genotypes will give birth to SS offsprings.
3. The medical profession advances daily and new treatments are being developed.
4. There are other genetic defects in individuals that might not be immediately apparent and is not testable like Genotypes but with the potential to be even more debilitating. Who knows if that AA person yu're going to marry carries such a defective gene?  undecided

Atimes in trying to solve one problem, we human beings create even greater problems, it is sad to see what most people are advocating here, it might not actually even be in the best interest of humanity to eradicate the sickle cell mutation and I think it is totally wrong  to rule out a future with someone you're compatible with in a lot of other ways solely on the basis of a manageable health condition, and yes I know an SS person who lived to 55, can anyone remind me what life expectancy is in Nigeria? undecided

Yes, those who marry under these circumstances have potentially heavy burdens to carry and shouldn't go into it lightly only to chicken out later but this blanket ban while sounding reasonable is way off the mark.

My thoughts almost precisely. I'm certainly not for it neither am I against it- the koko of the oro is know thyself and understand what your getting yourself into. I also like that you remind people that completely healthy individuals have kids with genetic disorders.

Calling those things that be not as though they were !
Re: Can You Take The Risk Of Marrying A Genotype Incompartible Partner? by 49cents(m): 11:38pm On Oct 15, 2013
@duduspace

All this love talk abegi....when ur with someone it can feel like they are the air u breathe and thus can imagine without them.....but if you are attentive u will find that there is actually a life without them.

Why should I deliberately have children who may turn out SS that's selfishness not love.

Childless couples are a different case altogether! It is not okay for a couple not to be open to the possibilty of having children especially where nothing but there petty projects iare involved!

You can be happy with anybody once ur happy with yourself first!
Re: Can You Take The Risk Of Marrying A Genotype Incompartible Partner? by amiebeauty(f): 2:55pm On Oct 16, 2013
akanbi a a: she is your dream girl,everything you want in a girl she possesses character wise and other wise,but just one problem your genotype is a s hers to is a s,she loves you even more than you love her,so can you take the risk knowing you might give birth to a sickler or sicklers in the future?answer in urgently needed to help a couple that is currently facing this challenge.thanks for your anticipated responses.
love ke?....would love see me tru wen my innocent kids start having their attacks...or even die...abeg forget about love joor....Its a risk not worth taking .
Re: Can You Take The Risk Of Marrying A Genotype Incompartible Partner? by 234GT(m): 4:20pm On Oct 16, 2013
I just left a girl because we are both AS!

1 Like

Re: Can You Take The Risk Of Marrying A Genotype Incompartible Partner? by Nobody: 6:57pm On Oct 16, 2013
akanbi a a: she is your dream girl,everything you want in a girl she possesses character wise and other wise,but just one problem your genotype is a s hers to is a s,she loves you even more than you love her,so can you take the risk knowing you might give birth to a sickler or sicklers in the future?answer in urgently needed to help a couple that is currently facing this challenge.thanks for your anticipated responses.
Pls pls pls pls DON'T... Don't pls! You really don't wanna wish it on your enemy! I know it's hard, but pls don't try it. I know someone going through the ordeal now sad sad sad IT IS HELL
Re: Can You Take The Risk Of Marrying A Genotype Incompartible Partner? by Nobody: 7:11pm On Oct 16, 2013
sexkillz:

Pls Tell the Mofos!!! undecided
Loooooooool

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Since I Met Her, I 've Been Having Bad Luck / Why Do Females Celebrate Relationships And Marriage More? Opinion / Nigeria Guys Cannot Suck Puszy But Want U To Suck Their Diik

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.