Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,424 members, 7,815,957 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:10 PM

Why Do Landlords Refuse To Rent Rooms To Single Women In Nigeria?? - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Why Do Landlords Refuse To Rent Rooms To Single Women In Nigeria?? (28812 Views)

Why Do Landlords/land Lady Give 1 Year Rent As 11month in Lagos / CLOSED- Rooms To Let In Lekki Phase 1, 360k each, Quarterly Rent. / Different Types Of Nigerian Landlords (meme Collection) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Landlords Refuse To Rent Rooms To Single Women In Nigeria?? by siofra(f): 9:55pm On May 05, 2022
I just read the story of a woman who couldn't rent a house because the landlord said he didn't like single women renting rooms in his house.

I'm asking because where I live, people would rather rent their boys quarters to women and girls than men and boys. Because they think men are more violent and prone to cause trouble than women due to incidents that have happened in the past.

So, could the reason be misogyny or something else like maybe past encounters with single women renting their rooms

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Do Landlords Refuse To Rent Rooms To Single Women In Nigeria?? by immortalcrown(m): 9:56pm On May 05, 2022
Tenants are not scarce in the area.

Suppliers are selective (do shakara) when demand is higher than the quantity available.

But when supply is higher than demand, suppliers accept every willing customer.

125 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Do Landlords Refuse To Rent Rooms To Single Women In Nigeria?? by siofra(f): 10:02pm On May 05, 2022
immortalcrown:
Because tenants are not scarce in the area.

Elucidate, please.

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Do Landlords Refuse To Rent Rooms To Single Women In Nigeria?? by Vinnie2000(m): 10:14pm On May 05, 2022
because some would want to turn the apartment to Mini brothel where Guys secretly come to negotiate for Kpekus!
While some will not pay the Rent when its due .
They might even want to use towtow to pay. So some Landlords avoid such hassles from ur Wahala gender and dont give dem apartment!

341 Likes 23 Shares

Re: Why Do Landlords Refuse To Rent Rooms To Single Women In Nigeria?? by Ballzproblemm: 10:27pm On May 05, 2022
because they feel this women are ashawo, and will be bringing in men in and out any how

116 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Why Do Landlords Refuse To Rent Rooms To Single Women In Nigeria?? by fourboys: 10:34pm On May 05, 2022
They no wan turn their compound to ashawo house sad sad sad

88 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why Do Landlords Refuse To Rent Rooms To Single Women In Nigeria?? by ojun50(m): 10:34pm On May 05, 2022
Because you can mistake LY invite you boyfriend who might be an arm robber but you might not be aware.

53 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Do Landlords Refuse To Rent Rooms To Single Women In Nigeria?? by drmuchin: 10:45pm On May 05, 2022
a single lady has no protection

27 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why Do Landlords Refuse To Rent Rooms To Single Women In Nigeria?? by KiNg0G: 11:04pm On May 05, 2022
Rent house to a lady
the next day you see another set of ladies,

As a landlord you be wondering how come maybe they are her relatives.

before you see them go dey hang pants for outside.

before you look, condom go dey full waste bin.

untill you realise say them don dey call your compound arshawol quarter!... warehouse...

then your mind go dey

244 Likes 17 Shares

Re: Why Do Landlords Refuse To Rent Rooms To Single Women In Nigeria?? by godofuck231: 12:32am On May 06, 2022
drmuchin:
a single lady has no protection
she has , her father, brothers, uncle , boyfriend ,even her lawyer ,, its done in such manner that if the land lord need anything done he talks with a man who understands what should be done not a woman who would claim rape out of shameless accusations

39 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why Do Landlords Refuse To Rent Rooms To Single Women In Nigeria?? by godofuck231: 12:34am On May 06, 2022
Rent 1 room and 40 ashawoe go line up as tenants, plus fights and quarrels , the total of it is an embarrassment

28 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Do Landlords Refuse To Rent Rooms To Single Women In Nigeria?? by sorority11(m): 12:39am On May 06, 2022
If you are an agent you will know why. It isn't misogyny. At first I thought so, I questioned them and they gave me their reply.
Most single ladies are into runs or have sponsors, which infact is not very stable.
Most of them rent are paid by sugar daddies or boyfriends, the first payment is always smooth. No matter how expensive it is, they will pay.
The problem is maintenance, electric bills, security bills e.t.c. that's where the problem comes. They always drag, and give promises that they are expecting funds,and it never comes.
Time for renewal of rent, they might no longer be with their sponsor, and it is very hard to push people out of your house, especially ladies. Men are easier to kick out than ladies.
Note: This keep repeating itself over and over again like a deja Vu to agents, it's very predictable. They only rent house to ladies that have real jobs like bankers, or engineers not those that sells wig or do online business or can't even explain what they do for a living. It's because of the epidemic of runs girl with sugar daddy. You can tell us that majority of girls this days are not into rruns

293 Likes 29 Shares

Re: Why Do Landlords Refuse To Rent Rooms To Single Women In Nigeria?? by czarr(m): 3:38am On May 06, 2022
siofra:
I just read the story of a woman who couldn't rent a house because the landlord said he didn't like single women renting rooms in his house.

I'm asking because where I live, people would rather rent their boys quarters to women and girls than men and boys. Because they think men are more violent and prone to cause trouble than women due to incidents that have happened in the past.

So, could the reason be misogyny or something else like maybe past encounters with single women renting their rooms
You don't see the hypocrisy in your writeup?

You don't see nothing wrong with landlords not renting to guys where you live, but when reverse is the case you you want to know if it's misogyny.

Maybe it's because some landlords don't like oloshos on their property. Brings bad luck.

99 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why Do Landlords Refuse To Rent Rooms To Single Women In Nigeria?? by WondaBeauty(f): 5:47am On May 06, 2022
Interesting.

Every human has his/her decisions to make and are therefore entitled to their opinions.

I live on my own and i have lived here for 2 years without any noise or issue,
my landlord here has no issue with any single guy or lady renting his apartment.

I believe their decisions and actions was majorly caused by what they have seen and mostly what they have heard either about single guys renting an apartment or single ladies as well.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Landlords Refuse To Rent Rooms To Single Women In Nigeria?? by Southernigbo: 7:57am On May 06, 2022
It's mostly cultural. In the north, esp local Muslim areas, singles, whether male or famale can be denied. The reasons could range from fear of irresponsible behaviours in the case of a guy ie sleeping around secretly with girls and married women to prostitution in the case of females

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Landlords Refuse To Rent Rooms To Single Women In Nigeria?? by immortalcrown(m): 8:52am On May 06, 2022
siofra:
Elucidate, please.
Elucidate on what again? My statement is simple. If people do not like renting apartments in the area, the few that go there will be accepted irrespective of their genders.

6 Likes

Re: Why Do Landlords Refuse To Rent Rooms To Single Women In Nigeria?? by Choilila: 9:21am On May 06, 2022
You are wrong.
No Landlord rent out rooms to singles [m/f].

1 Like

Re: Why Do Landlords Refuse To Rent Rooms To Single Women In Nigeria?? by Bluezy13(m): 9:36am On May 06, 2022
Choilila:
You are wrong.

No Landlord rent out rooms to singles [m/f].

You are wrong.

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Landlords Refuse To Rent Rooms To Single Women In Nigeria?? by ABCthings: 1:17pm On May 06, 2022
Truth be said. You are just making a mountain out of a mole hill

Re: Why Do Landlords Refuse To Rent Rooms To Single Women In Nigeria?? by Nuelzi: 1:17pm On May 06, 2022
Because of faces wey go dey show up

9 Likes

Re: Why Do Landlords Refuse To Rent Rooms To Single Women In Nigeria?? by Parisian: 1:17pm On May 06, 2022
Lol
Re: Why Do Landlords Refuse To Rent Rooms To Single Women In Nigeria?? by Righthussle: 1:17pm On May 06, 2022
Because they feel women are subhumans. Lesser humans. I think they are right somehow.

If they are not subhumans, why will they accept without a fight that whoever made this world is a man?

Why will they be practising religions that put women far below the man.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Landlords Refuse To Rent Rooms To Single Women In Nigeria?? by Acidbath: 1:18pm On May 06, 2022
Outright misogyny and backward thinking. Even some useless women are not left out with this stupidity.

Some will say they want to avoid promiscuous women bringing in different men but how about some promiscuous men that bring in different women...are they not irritating to have around?

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Do Landlords Refuse To Rent Rooms To Single Women In Nigeria?? by maak400: 1:18pm On May 06, 2022
So that they won't turn their room to a brothel or Olosho house. undecided

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Landlords Refuse To Rent Rooms To Single Women In Nigeria?? by Hamachi(f): 1:18pm On May 06, 2022
cheesy
The foremost reason why landlords avoid renting to single women is that they suspect them of being prostitutes. A single woman who wants to get a house might have to be accompanied with a man or experience difficulties finding an apartment to rent.

Most ladies get apartments and sublet it to other women making them pay upto 10k a week, so these gals scout for men in order to meet their target. Before you know what you have like 14 girls leaving in an apartment making the initial person that got the apartment make 130,000 weekly. It is rampant in Lekki, as we speak Lekki Phase 1. So I wouldn't blame any landlord for questioning females and giving them crazy conditions like bringing their fiancé. My former apartment a lady set the house on fire and ran away, just because her boyfriend cheated on her and she wanted to burn the furniture her boyfriend bought for her so that'll get him mad I guess. The dumbest act ever.

Join other singles on https://t(dot)me/SafeHavenJoint

25 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Do Landlords Refuse To Rent Rooms To Single Women In Nigeria?? by Parisian: 1:18pm On May 06, 2022
Nigerian men never cease to show their foolishness.

So single guys don't turn their houses to brothels where they bring Aunty Nkechi today and Aunty Vivian tomorrow, or lepa today and orobo tomorrow?

They don't let their friends bring prostitutes to come knack in their house or turn their house and smoke and drink away their future right?

Mumu gender.

It is this same Nairaland that a single guy complained that his friend was always bringing different girls and staining his sheets, lmao. Bloody eediots.
Vinnie2000:
because some would want to turn the apartment to Mini brothel where Guys secretly come to negotiate for Kpekus!
While some will not pay the Rent when its due .
They might even want to use towtow to pay. So some Landlords avoid such hassles from ur Wahala gender and dont give dem apartment!

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Do Landlords Refuse To Rent Rooms To Single Women In Nigeria?? by illuminutty: 1:18pm On May 06, 2022
Make them no use toto scatter the destiny of the house.

21 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why Do Landlords Refuse To Rent Rooms To Single Women In Nigeria?? by Plugsk(m): 1:19pm On May 06, 2022
Fear of turning their rooms into a low key brothel.
You know these gender [code][/code]
siofra:

9 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Top 5 Best Places To Live In Lagos / Student Hostel Development: A Sure Way Of Making Money / Soludo Constructing 17 Units Of Modern Commissioners Quarters In Awka (video&pic

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.