Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,898 members, 7,817,661 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:37 PM

Why Do Landlords Refuse To Rent Rooms To Single Women In Nigeria?? - Properties (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Why Do Landlords Refuse To Rent Rooms To Single Women In Nigeria?? (28817 Views)

Why Do Landlords/land Lady Give 1 Year Rent As 11month in Lagos / CLOSED- Rooms To Let In Lekki Phase 1, 360k each, Quarterly Rent. / Different Types Of Nigerian Landlords (meme Collection) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Landlords Refuse To Rent Rooms To Single Women In Nigeria?? by Kingcalls: 1:35pm On May 06, 2022
siofra:
I just read the story of a woman who couldn't rent a house because the landlord said he didn't like single women renting rooms in his house.

I'm asking because where I live, people would rather rent their boys quarters to women and girls than men and boys. Because they think men are more violent and prone to cause trouble than women due to incidents that have happened in the past.

So, could the reason be misogyny or something else like maybe past encounters with single women renting their rooms

E no de hard una to throw " misogyny "... even when logically speaking, renting to a woman is mostly a high risk

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do Landlords Refuse To Rent Rooms To Single Women In Nigeria?? by Googledotcom: 1:35pm On May 06, 2022
KiNg0G:
Rent house to a lady
the next day you see another set of ladies,

As a landlord you be wondering how come maybe they are her relatives.

before you see them go dey hang pants for outside.

before you look, condom go dey full waste bin.

untill you realise say them don dey call your compound arshawol quarter!... warehouse...

then your mind go dey
lolzz
Re: Why Do Landlords Refuse To Rent Rooms To Single Women In Nigeria?? by Acidosis(m): 1:35pm On May 06, 2022
Is it about gender or people's perceptions? I remember one told me on the phone that he wanted only married people in his house. Another said (again on the phone) that he prefers a 9-5 tenant.

Omo my eyes don see for this land sha but las las, I got the key to the said apartments. Their perception changed when we met physically.

You really can't blame some of these landlords. We don't have any citizen or tenancy records or database in Nigeria. Since landlords cannot verify your claims, some of them simply work with opinions, which are mainly subjective and personal.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Do Landlords Refuse To Rent Rooms To Single Women In Nigeria?? by Emotionss: 1:37pm On May 06, 2022
[color=#006600][/color]
siofra:
I just read the story of a woman who couldn't rent a house because the landlord said he didn't like single women renting rooms in his house.

I'm asking because where I live, people would rather rent their boys quarters to women and girls than men and boys. Because they think men are more violent and prone to cause trouble than women due to incidents that have happened in the past.

So, could the reason be misogyny or something else like maybe past encounters with single women renting their rooms

Let me understand you first.

You have no problem when some landlords prefer to rent their quarters to women/girls but you quickly open a thread questioning why some other set of landlords prefer renting their quarters to only boys/men ? Even brought in the misogyny shaming tactics ?
Re: Why Do Landlords Refuse To Rent Rooms To Single Women In Nigeria?? by Acidbath: 1:40pm On May 06, 2022
Aforxzy:
It's the same for single men too.

The landlords believe that being married means the person is responsible and matured.

And assume that the single ladies are loose and wayward. They bring in male friends, party alot, stay out late and are unable to pay the bills.

And if there are married couples in the compound they are seen as potential husband snatchers.

No thanks to rapists and yahoo ritualists.
Re: Why Do Landlords Refuse To Rent Rooms To Single Women In Nigeria?? by Olumaeme: 1:43pm On May 06, 2022
They think that single women could turn their place to brothel where different men come to shine kongo.

Since we are in a religious society, God that built the house for them wont like it.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Landlords Refuse To Rent Rooms To Single Women In Nigeria?? by Timoleon(m): 1:43pm On May 06, 2022
Case closed. This is nothing but the absolute truth.
sorority11:
If you are an agent you will know why. It isn't misogyny. At first I thought so, I questioned them and they gave me their reply.
Most single ladies are into runs or have sponsors, which infact is not very stable.
Most of them rent are paid by sugar daddies or boyfriends, the first payment is always smooth. No matter how expensive it is, they will pay.
The problem is maintenance, electric bills, security bills e.t.c. that's where the problem comes. They always drag, and give promises that they are expecting funds,and it never comes.
Time for renewal of rent, they might no longer be with their sponsor, and it is very hard to push people out of your house, especially ladies. Men are easier to kick out than ladies.
Note: This keep repeating itself over and over again like a deja Vu to agents, it's very predictable. They only rent house to ladies that have real jobs like bankers, or engineers not those that sells wig or do online business or can't even explain what they do for a living. It's because of the epidemic of runs girl with sugar daddy. You can tell us that majority of girls this days are not into rruns

1 Like

Re: Why Do Landlords Refuse To Rent Rooms To Single Women In Nigeria?? by akinade28(f): 1:46pm On May 06, 2022
So many discrimination against Nigerian women.
Re: Why Do Landlords Refuse To Rent Rooms To Single Women In Nigeria?? by Franky70(m): 1:47pm On May 06, 2022
I've worked with a property firm
Ladies find it hard to renew their rent after first payment

Paying if bills is always hard
For agreement na 1 person rent house after 2 months they're 3 living together

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Landlords Refuse To Rent Rooms To Single Women In Nigeria?? by WoundedLamb: 2:00pm On May 06, 2022
Sexism. Nothing else.
Re: Why Do Landlords Refuse To Rent Rooms To Single Women In Nigeria?? by IamCookie(f): 2:09pm On May 06, 2022
I did. And i can tell you that she saabi owe house rent ehn. She occupies a room self contained that i gave out at 100k per annum( kinda low as per what's obtainable in that area) ,being a single lady. Still couldn't pay me since November 2021(house rent expires) till now. She's been appealing ...

That's how some single ladies will be sleeping with their landlord's in order not to renew their rent ... Unfortunately, i am a woman cheesy

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Do Landlords Refuse To Rent Rooms To Single Women In Nigeria?? by BluntCrazeMan: 2:10pm On May 06, 2022
WondaBeauty:
Interesting.

Every human has his/her decisions to make and are therefore entitled to their opinions.

I live on my own and i have lived here for 2 years without any noise or issue,
my landlord here has no issue with any single guy or lady renting his apartment.

I believe their decisions and actions was majorly caused by what they have seen and mostly what they have heard either about single guys renting an apartment or single ladies as well.
Happy Birthday Beautiful
Re: Why Do Landlords Refuse To Rent Rooms To Single Women In Nigeria?? by Hassanmaye(m): 2:13pm On May 06, 2022
Vinnie2000:
because some would want to turn the apartment to Mini brothel where Guys secretly come to negotiate for Kpekus!
While some will not pay the Rent when its due .
They might even want to use towtow to pay. So some Landlords avoid such hassles from ur Wahala gender and dont give dem apartment!
Haha
Re: Why Do Landlords Refuse To Rent Rooms To Single Women In Nigeria?? by AmazingELixir: 2:17pm On May 06, 2022
immortalcrown:
Because tenants are not scarce in the area.

Suppliers are selective (do shakara) when demand is higher than the quantity available.

But when supply is higher than demand, suppliers accept every willing customer.

Stop starting sentences with "because"

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Landlords Refuse To Rent Rooms To Single Women In Nigeria?? by MadeMan01(m): 2:18pm On May 06, 2022
Speaking as a real state professional, renting rooms to multiple single girls depressed property values as various dates come look for them usually with cars and constitute a nuisance t the neighborhood. Single guys on the other hand, control the girls who came looking for them such that the don't coincide in visit and reduce the occurrence of crowds. Too many cars visiting girls, give the place a brothel feel.
This is usually applicable for ordinary girls. But may not apply for silver spoon girls as the calibre of men who came for them are few

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Landlords Refuse To Rent Rooms To Single Women In Nigeria?? by playpaz: 2:19pm On May 06, 2022
I dont think they started doing this right from the onset.

it must have been from bitter experiences.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Landlords Refuse To Rent Rooms To Single Women In Nigeria?? by bluefilm: 2:25pm On May 06, 2022
siofra:

Maybe they don't want their young daughters to learn oloshoism from the single lady tenants.

So they are protecting their own, in a sense.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do Landlords Refuse To Rent Rooms To Single Women In Nigeria?? by buzweb: 2:27pm On May 06, 2022
A guy will most likely pay his rent when due and other house maintenance bill more than ladies.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Landlords Refuse To Rent Rooms To Single Women In Nigeria?? by AmazingELixir: 2:29pm On May 06, 2022
sorority11:
If you are an agent you will know why. It isn't misogyny. At first I thought so, I questioned them and they gave me their reply.
Most single ladies are into runs or have sponsors, which infact is not very stable.
Most of them rent are paid by sugar daddies or boyfriends, the first payment is always smooth. No matter how expensive it is, they will pay.
The problem is maintenance, electric bills, security bills e.t.c. that's where the problem comes. They always drag, and give promises that they are expecting funds,and it never comes.
Time for renewal of rent, they might no longer be with their sponsor, and it is very hard to push people out of your house, especially ladies. Men are easier to kick out than ladies.
Note: This keep repeating itself over and over again like a deja Vu to agents, it's very predictable. They only rent house to ladies that have real jobs like bankers, or engineers not those that sells wig or do online business or can't even explain what they do for a living. It's because of the epidemic of runs girl with sugar daddy. You can tell us that majority of girls this days are not into rruns

This guy couldn't have said it better...a female friend of mine told me thesame thing when she was looking for apartment...she even pleaded with me to come and stand in as her man. Omo I refused oh, I no fit go sign surety wey go choke me like bonga fish bone.

I know the hell my elder brother passed through to evict a female tenant that stayed in his flat for almost 3 years without paying rent...and the courts are very sympathetic to their course ehnnn.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Landlords Refuse To Rent Rooms To Single Women In Nigeria?? by immortalcrown(m): 2:33pm On May 06, 2022
AmazingELixir:
Stop starting sentences with "because"
You are right. But informal expressions are not prohibited here.
Re: Why Do Landlords Refuse To Rent Rooms To Single Women In Nigeria?? by wilfred101: 2:34pm On May 06, 2022
siofra:

the answer is simple... The are likely to turn the house to their personal brothel

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Landlords Refuse To Rent Rooms To Single Women In Nigeria?? by bluefilm: 2:34pm On May 06, 2022
Franky70:
I've worked with a property firm
Ladies find it hard to renew their rent after first payment

Paying if bills is always hard
For agreement na 1 person rent house after 2 months they're 3 living together

You don minit ! grin grin grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do Landlords Refuse To Rent Rooms To Single Women In Nigeria?? by PStacks(m): 2:35pm On May 06, 2022
Fear of Olosho tins na.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do Landlords Refuse To Rent Rooms To Single Women In Nigeria?? by GoodFaith: 2:40pm On May 06, 2022
They don't want to make their house market place

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do Landlords Refuse To Rent Rooms To Single Women In Nigeria?? by irunoko(m): 2:41pm On May 06, 2022
drmuchin:
a single lady has no protection
if she's living alone.if she's living with her parents, there's maximum protection

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do Landlords Refuse To Rent Rooms To Single Women In Nigeria?? by pocohantas(f): 2:43pm On May 06, 2022
1) Too many male visitors.

2) Refusal and delay in paying recurring bills like electricity, waste disposal…etc

3) Too many squatters. Rent to one and rent to all.

4) I-dont-care attitude to the property or whatever is going on. They just face their flat alone. Men would be worried if the borehole stops working. Men would check if the gate is locked at night in the absence of a gateman. Most women don’t give 2fck so far as their own room remains.

I know because I have lived among them and I know how hard it was getting the majority to cooperate. We were just 3 that were NORMAL. The rest spent a lot on wigs and air conditioner, but would struggle to pay monthly bills.

The simple solution is to cut your coat according to your size. It is foolhardy to allow your man to introduce you to a life you can’t sustain on your own. Rather than collect a terrace duplex, ask for a business startup. Anything can happen in one year and you are left stranded.

I have seen a guy buy his babe a car and he didn’t collect it after the breakup. He said she would sell it in less than a year and of course she did. Where she see money to fuel V8?

However, if you have a real and verifiable job/source of income, no SANE AND ENLIGHTENED house owner would refuse to rent to you. Way back I went to see the lawyer straight from work. I was ready to give her everything. ID card, employment letter and pay-slip. I gave her my boss’s number and she never called him sef. She just said “I like you”. When I had issues, I relayed my grievance in the most professional manner and she responded in record time, but my neighbours said she was fond of ignoring their messages. grin

25 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Do Landlords Refuse To Rent Rooms To Single Women In Nigeria?? by Jephyard(m): 2:44pm On May 06, 2022
Even landladies don't like renting out their apartment to ladies. Them no want hear at all. And from personal experience women don't like paying bills. I just don't know why.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Landlords Refuse To Rent Rooms To Single Women In Nigeria?? by Abdulmumin412(m): 2:44pm On May 06, 2022
If care is not taken she will turn that room to hotel where different men will be meeting her.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Landlords Refuse To Rent Rooms To Single Women In Nigeria?? by Nyascobar1414: 2:45pm On May 06, 2022
BluntCrazeMan:
Happy Birthday Beautiful
How about being a simp?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do Landlords Refuse To Rent Rooms To Single Women In Nigeria?? by RealOmegwiOsas: 2:45pm On May 06, 2022
Men will easily pay up their rent after enough dragging...but you see woman ehn....if woman owe you rent na Only God go fit touch her heart ooo.... �

4 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Top 5 Best Places To Live In Lagos / Student Hostel Development: A Sure Way Of Making Money / Soludo Constructing 17 Units Of Modern Commissioners Quarters In Awka (video&pic

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.