Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,084 members, 7,845,575 topics. Date: Thursday, 30 May 2024 at 08:15 PM

Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread - Satellite TV Technology (139) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Satellite TV Technology / Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread (5468751 Views)

Official Thread Of Free To Air Satellite Tv (part 5 - The Final Part) / Official Thread Of Free To Air Satellite Tv (part 4) / Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (136) (137) (138) (139) (140) (141) (142) ... (2352) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread by GeorgeD1(m): 5:06pm On Apr 18, 2012
@all,
Here is an article about the rising cost of paytv. Looks like the complaint is not limited to this part of the world afterall. My thinking is that as subscriptions keep rising year on year and with the economic crisis hitting Europe, USA, and even Africa, more people will keep jumping ship. And guess where they'll be turning to? FTA of course. So guys, the future truly lies with FTA! Viva FTA!

http://bottomline.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/04/10/11118954-pay-tv-costing-a-pretty-penny-and-rising

Pay TV costing a pretty penny, and rising

Matt Rourke / AP

Rising licensing fees are driving the cost for basic and premium of pay TV higher by 6 percent a year, a new study shows.
By Eve Tahmincioglu

If you're one of those people who complain that there’s nothing to watch on TV today even though you have a gazillion channels, you’re not going to be happy with this news – turns out, you’re paying more for cable.

The monthly rate for pay TV has been rising at an average of 6 percent annually and hit $86 a month last year for basic pay and premium-channel TV, according to a reported released Tuesday by market research firm The NPD Group. The uptick in licensing fees - which are the fees cable and satellite providers pay for programs - is driving much of the increase, at a time when consumer household income has hardly budged.
Advertise | AdChoices

At this rate, NDP estimates consumers will be paying an average of $123 a month in 2015 and $200 a month by 2020.

The study was based on a quarterly electronic survey of 1,000 U.S. households.

Not surprisingly, the rising costs are making many consumers pull the plug on premium television. Today, there are five million fewer U.S. households viewing pay-TV services due to the mortgage crisis, the NDP research found, adding that those who did cancel service were prompted to do so because of economic reasons. But overall, the number of pay-TV subscribers has not declined substantially because of “bulk-service pay-TV contracts with apartment complexes and homeowners’ associations that have allowed pay-TV operators to retain subscriptions in vacant homes,” the study said.

Among the pay-TV cord cutters, most are still viewing their favorite shows via free Internet TV, traditional free broadcasting, and video-on-demand services such as Netflix, NDP reported.

The growth of lower-cost options, as well as cash-strapped consumers, is the reason the total number of subscribers of paid TV dropped to 100.9 million in the second quarter of last year, compared to 101.4 million in the first quarter, according to a IHS Screen Digest report released in September.

“As pay-TV costs rise and consumers’ spending power stays flat, the traditional affiliate-fee business model for pay-TV companies appears to be unsustainable in the long term,” said Keith Nissen, research director for NDP. “Much needed structural changes to the pay-TV industry will not happen quickly or easily; however, the emerging competition between S-VOD (subscription video-on-demand) and premium-TV suppliers might be the spark that ignites the necessary business-model transformation of the pay-TV industry.”

Indeed, something’s got to give: $200 a month for cable may end up getting some consumers pulling out their dusty old rabbit ears; that is, if they still work with digital TV.
Re: Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread by Jackobite(m): 6:52pm On Apr 18, 2012
@George D whenever you throw any hook in to a small stream it all about caught a big whale of information;so the end results of all this research is...?long live FTA,well don bro!
Re: Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread by Pidzo(m): 10:02am On Apr 19, 2012
SES-4 satellite is fully operational

The SES-4 satellite is now fully operational and ready for service at the orbital location of 338 degrees East.

With 52 C-band and 72 Ku-band transponders 50th SES satellite is also the largest, most powerful satellite in its fleet to date

SES-4 was successfully launched from the Baikonur Cosmodrome in Kazakhstan on board an ILS Proton Breeze M booster on February 15, 2012. SES-4 takes over from the NSS-7 satellite at 338 degrees East longitude and provides replacement as well as incremental capacity at this well-established SES orbital slot over the Atlantic Ocean.

SES-4 is a 20-kilowatt satellite manufactured on the Space Systems/Loral 1300 platform, with 52 C-band and 72 Ku-band transponders. It has C-band beams serving the eastern hemisphere of Europe and Africa and providing full coverage of the Americas, plus a global C-band beam to support mobile and maritime customers.

Four high-power, regional Ku-band beams provide service to Europe, the Middle East, and West Africa, as well as North and South America, with extensive channel switching capability between C- and Ku-band transponders for enhanced connectivity. The satellite is designed to deliver services for 15 years or more.

_http://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2012/04/18/ses-4-satellite-is-fully-operational/
Re: Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread by williams85(m): 4:42pm On Apr 19, 2012
@all i observed today that old strong lnb are far better than the new once..
I couldn't hit green on both siruis and w3a on 90cm dish. But when i replaced d lnb wit old one, i got 65% on mbc and 50 on siruis.
Re: Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread by Jackobite(m): 5:55pm On Apr 19, 2012
@williams85 you are right bro it happen to my last week when i want to buy a single way lnb in ibadan, the gav me the ku and something just promt me to bring it out of the carton then i started turn it around as if is not a familiar brand of strong,BRO! i part away with my #500 knowly. @all watchout; fake lnb out there!
Re: Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread by Dlee1(m): 6:35pm On Apr 19, 2012
@All, the Digital Sole Thieves left this trasponder (11804 H 27500) unencrypted as at the time I made this post. Enjoy it while it last.
Re: Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread by obnelly: 10:34pm On Apr 19, 2012
SES-4 22W is active track with 11671 v 30000.(french)
Re: Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread by Profchicky: 10:55pm On Apr 19, 2012
obnelly: SES-4 22W is active track with 11671 v 30000.(french)
pls throw more light on this. Whaz d direction, dish size, & available channels. We interested.

1 Like

Re: Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread by obnelly: 7:45am On Apr 20, 2012
All the question is already answe,all what you are looking for is thete,common guys let behave like a professional in this satellite field.
Re: Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread by Cheny(m): 10:32am On Apr 20, 2012
obnelly: All the question is already answe,all what you are looking for is thete,common guys let behave like a professional in this satellite field.
i just wonder
Re: Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread by Jackobite(m): 11:14am On Apr 20, 2012
Profchicky: pls throw more light on this. Whaz d direction, dish size, & available channels. We interested.
at the west 22 degree
Re: Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread by Ball22: 10:36pm On Apr 20, 2012
Any hope on barca vs madrid of saturday
Re: Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread by Pidzo(m): 5:43am On Apr 21, 2012
Ball22: Any hope on barca vs madrid of saturday
Wrong thread bro, why not post in the football section?

1 Like

Re: Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread by Nobody: 10:50am On Apr 21, 2012
BREAKING NEWS: Hitv which was on coma have finally giving up its ghost. There tp is currently red now. Eutelsat have removed them from there list of clients. BB have won again.[color=#770077][/color]
Re: Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread by Ilish(m): 10:52am On Apr 21, 2012
Ball22: Any hope on barca vs madrid of saturday
Tune to SPORTS24 at INTEL906 located at 64.E cband and watch the game
Re: Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread by Jackobite(m): 11:19am On Apr 21, 2012
auchs: BREAKING NEWS: Hitv which was on coma have finally giving up its ghost. There tp is currently red now. Eutelsat have removed them from there list of clients. BB have won again.[color=#770077][/color]
May his soul rest in parfect polarity,but our native company are dying in the and of foreign theivies and we keep on celebrating their EXIT from our mist ,think of this if someone terminate your own what would you Do?
Re: Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread by Ball22: 3:01pm On Apr 21, 2012
Ilish: Tune to SPORTS24 at INTEL906 located at 64.E cband and watch the game
what size of dish can i use to track it in eastern part of nigeria.
Re: Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread by Jackobite(m): 3:42pm On Apr 21, 2012
You will need 1.8m and above to track that bird.goodluck!
Re: Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread by Jackobite(m): 5:04pm On Apr 21, 2012
You will need 1.8m and above to track it.goodluck
Re: Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread by Ball22: 5:52pm On Apr 21, 2012
Jackobite: You will need 1.8m and above to track it.goodluck
can i use strong4669xii to track it.and is dis sport24 receivable in nigeria
Re: Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread by miju(m): 6:16pm On Apr 21, 2012
i feel for hitv. I wonder why we watch those bloody thieves reap us off. Our own nigcomsat refuse to come up while the ones on ground are dying. Hmmmm......
Re: Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread by GeorgeD1(m): 6:28pm On Apr 21, 2012
williams85: @all i observed today that old strong lnb are far better than the new once..
I couldn't hit green on both siruis and w3a on 90cm dish. But when i replaced d lnb wit old one, i got 65% on mbc and 50 on siruis.

@williams85,
Your experience buttresses why true FTA enthusiasts should not be in a hurry to sell off (or give away) their old equipments. REASON: You never know when you will need them. Besides, it is common knowledge that they don't make them now as good as they used to make them.
Re: Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread by brainy02: 7:07pm On Apr 21, 2012
Pidzo: SES-4 satellite is fully operational

The SES-4 satellite is now fully operational and ready for service at the orbital location of 338 degrees East.

With 52 C-band and 72 Ku-band transponders 50th SES satellite is also the largest, most powerful satellite in its fleet to date

SES-4 was successfully launched from the Baikonur Cosmodrome in Kazakhstan on board an ILS Proton Breeze M booster on February 15, 2012. SES-4 takes over from the NSS-7 satellite at 338 degrees East longitude and provides replacement as well as incremental capacity at this well-established SES orbital slot over the Atlantic Ocean.

SES-4 is a 20-kilowatt satellite manufactured on the Space Systems/Loral 1300 platform, with 52 C-band and 72 Ku-band transponders. It has C-band beams serving the eastern hemisphere of Europe and Africa and providing full coverage of the Americas, plus a global C-band beam to support mobile and maritime customers.

Four high-power, regional Ku-band beams provide service to Europe, the Middle East, and West Africa, as well as North and South America, with extensive channel switching capability between C- and Ku-band transponders for enhanced connectivity. The satellite is designed to deliver services for 15 years or more.

_http://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2012/04/18/ses-4-satellite-is-fully-operational/

i could not hit green with that tp posted here or would i need a mpeg4 decoder ni?
Re: Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread by brite01(m): 7:37pm On Apr 21, 2012
@brainy... Why not google use lyngsat or flysat to confirm what you need about the sat.
Re: Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread by Nobody: 9:37pm On Apr 21, 2012
auchs: BREAKING NEWS: Hitv which was on coma have finally giving up its ghost. There tp is currently red now. Eutelsat have removed them from there list of clients. BB have won again.[color=#770077][/color]

Big brother is really getting too powerful these days. I hope someone deals with him someday.
Re: Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread by Iron2011: 11:16pm On Apr 21, 2012
Theet above tp is green. check your alignment. if you get canal above 60%, there is no way you will miss it.but no channels yet
Re: Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread by Adex70(m): 11:47pm On Apr 21, 2012
@Brainy long time i did not hear 4rm u, all thesame the ses4 sat is the old nss7 @22west just use canal france tp11491 v3000 or 11051v3000 as u hit green like 90% put that tp and u will hit green
Re: Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread by brainy02: 12:00am On Apr 22, 2012
Adex70: @Brainy long time i did not hear 4rm u, all thesame the ses4 sat is the old nss7 @22west just use canal france tp11491 v3000 or 11051v3000 as u hit green like 90% put that tp and u will hit green

it not my fault brother, it the street oooo just trying to make ends meet....... I will put a call to u this week! Thanks for ur concern
Re: Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread by brainy02: 12:03am On Apr 22, 2012
Sorry house, i was the one that did not put in the right tp before.....my bad!
Re: Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread by Sensicut(m): 7:02am On Apr 22, 2012
Symbol rate is 30000 not 3000 so dat u will not have problem with tracking
Re: Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread by Jackobite(m): 7:21am On Apr 22, 2012
Ball22: can i use strong4669xii to track it.and is dis sport24 receivable in nigeria
yes you can use 69 or other type and it active in naija!

(1) (2) (3) ... (136) (137) (138) (139) (140) (141) (142) ... (2352) (Reply)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.