Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,602 members, 7,812,972 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 12:39 AM

Bulgaria To Replace Russian Gas Supply With Cheaper US LNG - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Bulgaria To Replace Russian Gas Supply With Cheaper US LNG (20213 Views)

Russia To Cut Off Gas Supply To Poland & Bulgaria Over Refusal To Pay In Rubles / Putin Vows To Cut Gas Supply Tomorrow Unless Europe Pays In Roubles / Qatar Says Europe Cannot Replace Russian Gas (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Bulgaria To Replace Russian Gas Supply With Cheaper US LNG by Igbofam: 3:22pm On May 13, 2022
Bulgaria will receive supplies of US liquefied natural gas (LNG) at prices lower than Gazprom’s starting in June, according to a deal struck between Prime Minister Kiril Petkov and US Vice President Kamala Harris, the government’s press service said on Wednesday.

Deputy Minister of Economy Georgi Danailov commented that the two had been working on the idea of ​​alternative supplies of liquefied natural gas since February.

“This is the finalisation of the talks held during this period,” he told Nova TV. According to him, the specific price depends on many conditions, including how the delivery will be made.

“At the moment, I do not have details. It is quite possible that the price will be lower than that of Gazprom because the price of Gazprom is quite high,” Danailov said.

“The price of gas through pipelines, when delivered at a distance of more than 4,000 kilometres, certainly becomes high enough and may be higher than that of liquefied natural gas,” the Bulgarian deputy minister explained.

Details on specific prices and quantities are not yet available.

Bulgaria will most likely receive regular supplies from the US, Danailov also said, “Such is the general agreement between US President Joe Biden and Ursula von der Leyen to begin regular supplies of liquefied natural gas from the US,” Danailov recalled.

Gazprom unilaterally cut off gas supplies to Bulgaria and Poland at the end of April as the two countries refused to comply with Russia’s request to pay in roubles. The rest of the EU, except Hungary, also refuses to pay in the Russian currency, but Russia has so far continued delivering supplies.

The situation has forced Bulgaria to look for alternative sources. In late March, the US and the EU announced a deal to increase imports of US LNG, which would reduce Europe’s dependence on Russian energy resources. An additional 15 billion cubic metres of US LNG should be delivered to Europe by the end of 2022.

Prior to the suspension of Russian gas, Bulgaria received gas from Gazprom at one of the lowest prices in the EU because it operated under a long-term contract.

At the end of June, the gas interconnector between Bulgaria and Greece will be ready, through which Bulgaria will receive an additional 1 billion cubic metres of gas per year, which is enough for a third of total consumption. Authorities in Sofia are trying to negotiate a threefold increase in supplies from Azerbaijan.

https://www.euractiv.com/section/energy-environment/news/bulgaria-to-replace-russian-gas-supply-with-cheaper-us-lng/

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bulgaria To Replace Russian Gas Supply With Cheaper US LNG by KillerCrocodile: 3:24pm On May 13, 2022
I love and would always support the United States.

But I must say here that Putin fell for their Trap.

The United States have been planning to divert the European countries from Russian gas to American gas for a long time without success.

But since Putin's invasion of Ukraine, their plan is seeing the light of day.

Nord Stream 2 is dead and buried
. Even Nord Stream 1 is on life support and may die a natural death if Germany and other EU countries can source for gas supply from other places.

Putin never saw this coming....

He was banking on division in the reaction among NATO and Western countries in response to his invasion.

If Donald Trump was President, that would be possible but not with Joe Biden as President.

Joe Biden is known as a Unifier. He is known for bringing different parties with different opinion to the table and coming up with a compromise plan of action.

Putin underestimated the European Union

Putin underestimated the old man in the oval office.

Putin's Russia fell for the trap that America has set for the Russian economy for a long time.

We are likely heading for a prolonged battle in Ukraine and with news like this, then the Russian economy would be severely dehydrated.... cheesy

Slava Ukraini....... Glory to the heroes.

139 Likes 19 Shares

Re: Bulgaria To Replace Russian Gas Supply With Cheaper US LNG by Igbofam: 3:24pm On May 13, 2022
Russia has lost Bulgaria grin

67 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Bulgaria To Replace Russian Gas Supply With Cheaper US LNG by Nerogaming01(m): 3:31pm On May 13, 2022
First time seeing an all-green ship

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bulgaria To Replace Russian Gas Supply With Cheaper US LNG by AllKnowing: 3:55pm On May 13, 2022
Okay okay igbofam! I have never bothered to comment on your many posts about Russia/ Ukraine/ US.

Wait, you’re a Nigerian like me yeah? What’s our gain if these nations kill themselves? But check out the image below and see why this new agreement may be a pipe dream. If it goes through, Bulgarians will bear the brunt of expensive logistics.

Or will the US subsidize gas for them

73 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Bulgaria To Replace Russian Gas Supply With Cheaper US LNG by Igbofam: 4:18pm On May 13, 2022
AllKnowing:
Okay okay igbofam! I have never bothered to comment on your many posts about Russia/ Ukraine/ US.

Wait, you’re a Nigerian like me yeah? What’s our gain if these nations kill themselves? But check out the image below and see why this new agreement may be a pipe dream. If it goes through, Bulgarians will bear the brunt of expensive logistics.

Read the OP very well. All arrangements have already been made.

I am sure you are not more knowledgeable than those who put this deal together between USA and Bulgaria.

All the minute details logistically has been taken care of so stop worrying on their behalf.

They will get US LNG for cheaper than Russian Gas

Thanchu

51 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bulgaria To Replace Russian Gas Supply With Cheaper US LNG by Svlla: 4:28pm On May 13, 2022
The same Bulgaria that has been blocking Energy related Sanctions in the EU

BTW US don't have cheap gas where Russia gas is concern

No need reading this. Just the heading will do

@Igbofam sometimes I wonder what you have in place of brain cells in you head

83 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Bulgaria To Replace Russian Gas Supply With Cheaper US LNG by God1000(m): 4:31pm On May 13, 2022
Russia continues to miscalculate

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Bulgaria To Replace Russian Gas Supply With Cheaper US LNG by Igbofam: 4:51pm On May 13, 2022
Svlla:

Oga you actually think you know anything about anything grin

US LNG is cheaper for them and they are shoring up through Azerbaijan as well so stop burning up the very few brain cells you have left if at all you have any left.

Russian bots have been know to be very dumb so let me not task your brain too much.

For Bulgarian energy ministry to negotiate cheaper LNG from US and come out to say it is cheaper than Russian gas then best believe it is cheaper.

I know you want so badly for it to be propaganda (which is a Word you you Russian bots use when you want to make yourselves feel good) grin but it's sadly not for you.

Again, Russia has lost Bulgaria and you can choke on it cheesy

43 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Bulgaria To Replace Russian Gas Supply With Cheaper US LNG by DerrickzB: 4:55pm On May 13, 2022
Svlla:

The guy na mumu!! Better one!! He talks like it’s a wish for the world to abandon Russia oil!! We would see how it would play out!!

30 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Bulgaria To Replace Russian Gas Supply With Cheaper US LNG by Igbofam: 5:25pm On May 13, 2022
DerrickzB:

The guy na mumu!! Better one!! He talks like it’s a wish for the world to abandon Russia oil!! We would see how it would play out!!

Russia has lost Bulgaria you can hit your head on a sharp object out of pain grin

40 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Bulgaria To Replace Russian Gas Supply With Cheaper US LNG by tamdun: 5:45pm On May 13, 2022
Igbofam:

Russia has lost Bulgaria you can hit your head on a sharo object out if pain grin
Did you even consider the distance between US and Bulgaria? US gas can never be cheaper that Russia gas and incase u don't know, protest is going on in Bulgaria,some Europeans are getting tired already

43 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Bulgaria To Replace Russian Gas Supply With Cheaper US LNG by Igbofam: 6:02pm On May 13, 2022
tamdun:

Did you even consider the distance between US and Bulgaria? US gas can never be cheaper that Russia gas and incase u don't know, protest is going on in Bulgaria,some Europeans are getting tired already

Why are you crying more than the bereaved? grin

Do you know about the distance more than US and Bulgaria?

They have concluded on everything including logistics so stop wailing.

US will supply Bulgaria for a cheaper price than what they are getting from Russia.

Case closed

30 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Bulgaria To Replace Russian Gas Supply With Cheaper US LNG by Alamkir: 6:16pm On May 13, 2022
Igbofam:

Read the OP very well. All arrangements have already been made.

I am sure you are not more knowledgeable than those who put this deal together between USA and Bulgaria.

All the minute details logistically has been taken care of so stop worrying on their behalf.

They will get US LNG for cheaper than Russian Gas

Thanchu

Even if the whole thing is believe able that " cheap US gas" u add just spoiled the whole thing. First off on a normal day Russian gas is cheaper than US, secondly, considering d logistics all the way from US it will be two times d price.
Thirdly, why only bulgary? The whole Europe is begging for gas, the US should supply nt just Bulgaria.

Fourthly, mmmmm ok thats it, there's no fourth

47 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Bulgaria To Replace Russian Gas Supply With Cheaper US LNG by Igbofam: 6:22pm On May 13, 2022
Alamkir:

Even if the whole thing is believe able that " cheap US gas" u add just spoiled the whole thing. First off on a normal day Russian gas is cheaper than US, secondly, considering d logistics all the way from US it will be two times d price.
Thirdly, why only bulgary? The whole Europe is begging for gas, the US should supply nt just Bulgaria.

Fourthly, mmmmm ok thats it, there's no fourth

Then consider it an abnormal day because Bulgaria would be getting LNG from USA at a cheaper rate than Russian gas.

Finito cheesy

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bulgaria To Replace Russian Gas Supply With Cheaper US LNG by ocelot2006(m): 6:30pm On May 13, 2022
Cheaper US LNG? Hold on....I'm no Gas Engineer, but, I believe the gas in the US has to be liquified and stored in special tanks on LNG ships and transported ACROSS the ATLANTIC OCEAN to Europe to LNG terminals then pumped out, etc.

The Russian pipeline on the other is just a few kilometers away....

....yet the US LNG is cheaper?? How??

55 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Bulgaria To Replace Russian Gas Supply With Cheaper US LNG by ocelot2006(m): 6:33pm On May 13, 2022
AllKnowing:

Maybe the US will subsidize the gas. Will it go down well with the American public? I dunno..

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bulgaria To Replace Russian Gas Supply With Cheaper US LNG by Igbofam: 6:41pm On May 13, 2022
ocelot2006:
Cheaper US LNG? Hold on....I'm no Gas Engineer, but, I believe the gas in the US has to be liquified and stored in special tanks on LNG ships and transported ACROSS the ATLANTIC OCEAN to Europe to LNG terminals then pumped out, etc.

The Russian pipeline on the other is just a few kilometers away....

....yet the US LNG is cheaper?? How??

Yes it's cheaper. I know you want it so badly to be a bad deal between USA and Bulgaria but sadly for you it's not smiley

They are happy getting it for cheaper so stop with the wailing.

Leave the matter of the logistics. Let the US experts and Bulgarian experts handle that and they have smiley

9 Likes

Re: Bulgaria To Replace Russian Gas Supply With Cheaper US LNG by AllKnowing: 7:32pm On May 13, 2022
ocelot2006:

Maybe the US will subsidize the gas. Will it go down well with the American public? I dunno..

We’ll see...
Re: Bulgaria To Replace Russian Gas Supply With Cheaper US LNG by AllKnowing: 7:37pm On May 13, 2022
Igbofam:

Yes it's cheaper. I know you want it so badly to be a bad deal between USA and Bulgaria but sadly for you it's not smiley

They are happy getting it for cheaper so stop with the wailing.

Leave the matter of the logistics. Let the US experts and Bulgarian experts handle that and they have smiley

I dabbled a bit into psychology and clinical psychiatry and you fit a certain personality disorder:

1. Deriving perverse joy from a bad situation.
2. A closed mind to any contrary, albeit correct, opinion/ discourse.
3. Chasing shadows in a situation that does not benefit you but hoping that through it you will find closure or fulfillment.

39 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Bulgaria To Replace Russian Gas Supply With Cheaper US LNG by Igbofam: 7:40pm On May 13, 2022
[s]
AllKnowing:

I dabbled a bit into psychology and clinical psychiatry and you fit a certain personality disorder:

1. Deriving perverse joy from a bad situation.
2. A closed mind to any contrary, albeit correct, opinion/ discourse.
3. Chasing shadows in a situation that does not benefit you but hoping that through it you will find closure or fulfillment.
[/s]

E dey choke you abi? grin

3 Likes

Re: Bulgaria To Replace Russian Gas Supply With Cheaper US LNG by Nobody: 8:19pm On May 13, 2022
You guys just don't recognize PR when you see it. The entire coverage of the Ukrainian war by Mainstream media is pure PR. You need to read between the lines to spot the inconsistencies.
Igbofam:

Oga you actually think you know anything about anything grin

US LNG is cheaper for them and they are shoring up through Azerbaijan as well so stop burning up the very few brain cells you have left if at all you have any left.

Russian bots have been know to be very dumb so let me not task your brain too much.

For Bulgarian energy ministry to negotiate cheaper LNG from US and come out to say it is cheaper than Russian gas then best believe it is cheaper.

I know you want so badly for it to be propaganda (which is a Word you you Russian bots use when you want to make yourselves feel good) grin but it's sadly not for you.

Again, Russia has lost Bulgaria and you can choke on it cheesy

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bulgaria To Replace Russian Gas Supply With Cheaper US LNG by CALEB1590(m): 8:23pm On May 13, 2022
Igbofam:

Then consider it an abnormal day because Bulgaria would be getting LNG from USA at a cheaper rate than Russian gas.

Finito cheesy
guy you argue like a toddler

28 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Bulgaria To Replace Russian Gas Supply With Cheaper US LNG by Igbofam: 8:27pm On May 13, 2022
CALEB1590:
guy you argue like a toddler

E dey worry you abi? smiley

4 Likes

Re: Bulgaria To Replace Russian Gas Supply With Cheaper US LNG by Igbofam: 8:28pm On May 13, 2022
atmy1:
You guys just don't recognize PR when you see it. The entire coverage of the Ukrainian war by Mainstream media is pure PR. You need to read between the lines to spot the inconsistencies.

Mr Media PR expert help us read between the lines biko. cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Bulgaria To Replace Russian Gas Supply With Cheaper US LNG by Nobody: 8:31pm On May 13, 2022
Igbofam:

Why are you crying more than the bereaved? grin

Do you know about the distance more than US and Bulgaria?

They have concluded on everything including logistics so stop wailing.

US will supply Bulgaria for a cheaper price than what they are getting from Russia.

Case closed
they have concluded but they have not arrived at any price yet,the PM only said it should be lower than that if Russia but in real life it can't be.Let's just wait and see how things unfold

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bulgaria To Replace Russian Gas Supply With Cheaper US LNG by plaindealer: 8:40pm On May 13, 2022
Russia will eventually lose all it's richest customers, the EU, meaning half of it's energy sales.

The west have more than enough money to create alternatives which they are doing and will do, but Putin can not create alternatives per richest customers.

Asians and India can not afford to pay full price like Europeans and they can not absorb the 50% the EU is not buying.

Asia and Indian can only afford discounted awoof oil and gas.

The EU is also in track to cut off Russian energy products so in the long run, Putin is the loser.

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Bulgaria To Replace Russian Gas Supply With Cheaper US LNG by Igbofam: 8:48pm On May 13, 2022
jackslow:
they have concluded but they have not arrived at any price yet,the PM only said it should be lower than that if Russia but in real life it can't be.Let's just wait and see how things unfold

You lot actually thinking Russian Gas is some kind of demi god Sha cheesy

Bulgaria and indeed the entire EU had existing plans to move away from Russian gas long before now.

This entire situation between Ukraine and Russia only helped speed up the process.

Bulgaria and Poland have been shut off since late April from Russian gas yet they are doing just fine with no riots or issues whatsoever and this is why as outlined by Aljazeera.

Read the below very slowly and carefully smiley

And the below explains why LNG to Bulgaria would be cheaper than Russian gas smiley

Bulgaria’s response to the disruption of the gas flows from Russia merits special attention. In contrast to Poland, which currently takes less than half of its gas from the Russian Federation, the Balkan country is reliant on Russia’s Gazprom for over 90 percent of its supplies.

But unlike previous cutoffs in 2006 and 2009, this time around the government in Sofia clearly had a plan. For instance, the state-owned trader Bulgargaz has contracted shipments of liquefied natural gas (LNG) that are now entering Bulgaria through the Revithoussa terminal in Greece. Additional volumes are also arriving from Romania, through the Trans-Balkan Pipeline which, until TurkStream started work in 2020-21, served Gazprom. The fact that the disruption happened in summer, after the end of the heating season, is making the Bulgarian authorities’ life easier, too.

The main thing, however, is that Bulgaria’s long-delayed interconnector pipeline with Greece (ICGB) is due to come online on June 30 or soon thereafter. Once it is up and running, Bulgaria will be importing one billion cubic meters (bcm) – corresponding to about one-third of its annual demand – from Azerbaijan, as ICGB connects to the so-called Trans Adriatic Pipeline.

LNG will be coming from the terminals in Turkey and, after the end of 2023, from a floating storage and regasification unit (FSRU) next to the northeastern Greek port city of Alexandroupolis

5 Likes

Re: Bulgaria To Replace Russian Gas Supply With Cheaper US LNG by jimetagambo: 9:03pm On May 13, 2022
Russia just lost a customer. Senseless invasion which was started as a result of paranoia. Seeing a mental health doctor instead would have prevented an expensive war and loss of lives.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bulgaria To Replace Russian Gas Supply With Cheaper US LNG by baralatie(m): 9:07pm On May 13, 2022
Svlla:

Is like you just got to realize that the op is confirm misinformer general

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bulgaria To Replace Russian Gas Supply With Cheaper US LNG by plaindealer: 9:24pm On May 13, 2022
Svlla:

So we are supposed to concluded that the news is fake because Bulgaria is against energy Sanctions against Russia?

So you know why they are against the sanctions and why they are now getting cheap has from the US?

Their objection was replacement and how to source gas because they like many European countries get gas from Russia.

The West then stepped in to arrange for cheap LNG from the US just to settle Bulgaria's energy concerns.

This is the problem with many pouTin fanboys, they only read headlines and peddle their own pointless and baseless opinions instead of facts.

11 Likes

Re: Bulgaria To Replace Russian Gas Supply With Cheaper US LNG by Igbofam: 9:25pm On May 13, 2022
baralatie:

Is like you just got to realize that the op is confirm misinformer general

E dey pain you Kai grin

Check four posts up to see how access to information would help Putin bots stop making fools of themselves everywhere grin

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Biden Removes Some Sanctions On Iran Over Nuclear Program (Pics) / Polish Farmers Beg Putin To Fix Their Government, Ukraine & EU (Photos) / US Mock Election Was Held In Kenya And Not Port Harcourt

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.