Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,852 members, 7,810,280 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:52 AM

Data Visualization Challenge: Which Of These Dashboards Can I Submit? - Programming (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Data Visualization Challenge: Which Of These Dashboards Can I Submit? (27670 Views)

Airline Dashboard: Data Visualization With Microsoft Excel / Please Rate This: My First Data Visualization Project / I Want To Learn Data Visualization (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Data Visualization Challenge: Which Of These Dashboards Can I Submit? by Ugaboy: 10:44am On May 23, 2022
dustydee:

Hi, good job you have done here.
I will go for number 1 or 3 but here are my observations:
1. You choice of colours is very important. I will advise you stick to the "ftriendly" colours for the sake of the colour blind people. I am sure you will learn this as you progress.
2. It's nobel not noble - please correct the typo.
You mnetioned machine learning, I am interested in what topics you are learning and which machine learning tools you are using. For a starter, I will advice you first stick to data viz or analytics first before you advance to machine learning.

I started with machine learning, done, lol.

Data viz now completed.
On SQL.

WhatsApp me using my signature

1 Like

Re: Data Visualization Challenge: Which Of These Dashboards Can I Submit? by dustydee: 10:57am On May 23, 2022
Ugaboy:

I started with machine learning, done, lol.

Data viz now completed.
On SQL.

WhatsApp me using my signature
Nice, what's your preferred ML tool, Python. R or Matlab?
Re: Data Visualization Challenge: Which Of These Dashboards Can I Submit? by jaybee3(m): 11:06am On May 23, 2022
Colour scheme is awful in all 3

To be specific:
Dashboard 1 & 2-
1) What's the purpose of a pie chart (Nobel price & Shares) when you are simply trying to report a contextual figure
2) The global map embedded in the country of Birth visual is redundant if it isn't interactive (Count responsive to the positioning of data click on the map)
3) Why is the chart for top 5 university outpacing the scale?
4) Sort the top 10 countries by birth or perhaps you can use a bubble chart to show proportionality of birth per total population

Dashboard 3 -
1) Use a single funnel chart to represent your top 5 counts and embed the club names in the bar
2) You can use a tool tip to display the actual goals

3 Likes

Re: Data Visualization Challenge: Which Of These Dashboards Can I Submit? by Ayo081(m): 11:14am On May 23, 2022
Ugaboy:

Thanks, I will put all this to practice
I noticed that... tableau ain't always right in calculation, this is my second encounter.

But always accurate on Excel.

Someone on front, shaded on wrong calculation.

Yeah, Tableau is strictly for viz. you only import your data then do your presentation. It's not primarily for maths.

Good luck.

1 Like

Re: Data Visualization Challenge: Which Of These Dashboards Can I Submit? by Ugaboy: 11:14am On May 23, 2022
dustydee:

Nice, what's your preferred ML tool, Python. R or Matlab?
Python all the way...
Has been very easily with use of scikit-learn and others model training libraries

2 Likes

Re: Data Visualization Challenge: Which Of These Dashboards Can I Submit? by Nobody: 11:42am On May 23, 2022
Administration1:

I beg to differ, Data Visualization is 50% aesthetics. If you present any of the above to me after commissioning you for a job, I'll simply add your email address to my block list.
Are you into analytics ?

1 Like

Re: Data Visualization Challenge: Which Of These Dashboards Can I Submit? by mrbionic: 11:59am On May 23, 2022
The work is good. However, they all have the same problem; lack of colour separation.

Use contrasting colours that are not too dim. Also Try to balance the colours so that the texts will be visible.

1 Like

Re: Data Visualization Challenge: Which Of These Dashboards Can I Submit? by Randal: 12:33pm On May 23, 2022
Ugaboy:
Hi Nairalander and Data Science ethusiaste, remember my startup during February I guess on Tableau

https://www.nairaland.com/6973820/please-rate-first-data-visualization

Well, there have been lot of advance visualization i've done so far, I've completed some machine learning milestone project with 18 viz dashboard completed
Check the spelling of ‘matches’ in Total Matches at the top left corner.
here is a viz challenge i picked from LinkedIn this month

Tools:
1. Excel (Data cleaning)
2. Figma (Bin or Conatiner Design)
3. Tableau Public (Visualization)

Pls Which of the 3 can i submit

Some of us are football lovers, so I analysed one...added to show us...how i've gone.
Re: Data Visualization Challenge: Which Of These Dashboards Can I Submit? by NaijaCars4sale: 2:41pm On May 23, 2022
The last one looks like the most intuitive one
Re: Data Visualization Challenge: Which Of These Dashboards Can I Submit? by rockhillz(m): 2:56pm On May 23, 2022
Nice one bro..

You can provide datasets let's try replicate
Re: Data Visualization Challenge: Which Of These Dashboards Can I Submit? by Microwhy: 3:13pm On May 23, 2022
Ugaboy:
Hi Nairalander and Data Science ethusiaste, remember my startup during February I guess on Tableau

Well, there have been lot of advance visualization i've done so far, I've completed some machine learning milestone project with 18 viz dashboard completed

Tools:
1. Excel (Data cleaning)

Some of us are football lovers, so I analysed one...added to show us...how i've gone.
Your color selection is poor..
Go understand primary and secondary colour and optical science..

1 Like

Re: Data Visualization Challenge: Which Of These Dashboards Can I Submit? by Adiwana: 3:24pm On May 23, 2022
There are lots of noise. Try to tone it down
Re: Data Visualization Challenge: Which Of These Dashboards Can I Submit? by Adiwana: 3:28pm On May 23, 2022
peacettw:

People are indeed wired differently. If he had presented that to me, I will never contact him
again.

A professional will never go with those colors. And that is why i have a lot of respect for front end developers who understand the golden rule that simplicity goes a long way.

@op Dont let the critiquing deter you. We are all learning and must start from somewhere. I trust implicitly that you will improve with time.

Well done

Apt. He’s trying to fit in a lot into one space which makes the whole thing too noisy. Everything he did is good except that part which to me once he gets it right, he’s good to go

1 Like

Re: Data Visualization Challenge: Which Of These Dashboards Can I Submit? by Wwwq: 7:06pm On May 23, 2022
Any
Re: Data Visualization Challenge: Which Of These Dashboards Can I Submit? by movado19: 10:06pm On May 23, 2022
Ugaboy:

Tools:
1. Excel (Data cleaning)

Hello, Ugaboy,

If you are looking for pure honesty, then I will tell you that you cannot submit ANY of these visualizations.
You do have very strong potential, however.

You'll need to remedy the following:
1. Spelling. One or two mistakes can be forgiven, but when it is everywhere, then it says that you do not really care about what you are
presenting or the consumers of the charts.

2. Harmonic colour combination. Just because we have so many colours at our disposal doesn't mean that we use them all at once.

3. Consideration for people with colour blindness.

4. Font types. Which fonts are appropriate for your viewers and what size will do the job?

5. Appropriate charts usage. This requires that you know your data types to the T, as this will enable you quickly select the appropriate charts
which can convey your findings/message easily.

6. 919...is this the combination of the dead and living Nobel Price Winners? If you say "yes", then your addition is wrong.

7. Sorting (ascending/descending) is off.

8. Your chart headings do not necessarily convey much. For example, what do you mean by:
- Top 5 University (Universities)? Is this within the United States alone or globally?
- Gender/Months Noble (Nobel) Price? What "exactly" are you trying to convey?
- Age by Years? This does not say anything. I know you most probably want to be succinct with your headings, but this is NOT the way
to do so.
- What does Shares mean?
...and so on and so forth...

9. You will need to make use of white space to lead the eyes.
Also, you do not employ proper visual cues such are direction, colour, font, shape, size, etc.

10. You can have all the interesting facts and information but if you are not able to convey it in a simple, appealing, and devoid of
chartjunk(Tufte) way, then all your work would end in the bin!

Do you watch shows like IRONCHEF? Do you see how they present their food? This is known as "PLATING" in the culinary world. It draws
the eyes and attention to the food my making use of elements and principles of food presentation.
This is the same concept for data visualization.

Like I said earlier, you have very great potential - no one was born with the excellent skills of a master data visualizer. This takes constant practice and then mastery.

I commend you for your boldness in putting your work out there for scrutiny. This takes COURAGE, so well done!

2 Likes

Re: Data Visualization Challenge: Which Of These Dashboards Can I Submit? by Basudua28405: 12:56am On May 24, 2022
Pls where did u learn to do this
Re: Data Visualization Challenge: Which Of These Dashboards Can I Submit? by Ugaboy: 4:28am On May 24, 2022
movado19:

Hello, Ugaboy,

If you are looking for pure honesty, then I will tell you that you cannot submit ANY of these visualizations.
You do have very strong potential, however.

You'll need to remedy the following:
1. Spelling. One or two mistakes can be forgiven, but when it is everywhere, then it says that you do not really care about what you are
presenting or the consumers of the charts.

2. Harmonic colour combination. Just because we have so many colours at our disposal doesn't mean that we use them all at once.

3. Consideration for people with colour blindness.

4. Font types. Which fonts are appropriate for your viewers and what size will do the job?

5. Appropriate charts usage. This requires that you know your data types to the T, as this will enable you quickly select the appropriate charts
which can convey your findings/message easily.

6. 919...is this the combination of the dead and living Nobel Price Winners? If you say "yes", then your addition is wrong.

7. Sorting (ascending/descending) is off.

8. Your chart headings do not necessarily convey much. For example, what do you mean by:
- Top 5 University (Universities)? Is this within the United States alone or globally?
- Gender/Months Noble (Nobel) Price? What "exactly" are you trying to convey?
- Age by Years? This does not say anything. I know you most probably want to be succinct with your headings, but this is NOT the way
to do so.
- What does Shares mean?
...and so on and so forth...

9. You will need to make use of white space to lead the eyes.
Also, you do not employ proper visual cues such are direction, colour, font, shape, size, etc.

10. You can have all the interesting facts and information but if you are not able to convey it in a simple, appealing, and devoid of
chartjunk(Tufte) way, then all your work would end in the bin!

Do you watch shows like IRONCHEF? Do you see how they present their food? This is known as "PLATING" in the culinary world. It draws
the eyes and attention to the food my making use of elements and principles of food presentation.
This is the same concept for data visualization.

Like I said earlier, you have very great potential - no one was born with the excellent skills of a master data visualizer. This takes constant practice and then mastery.

I commend you for your boldness in putting your work out there for scrutiny. This takes COURAGE, so well done!

Thanks for finding quality time in Analysis my mistake...I love receiving critics...that helps I improve me.

I will put to practice to all, thanks a lots

1 Like

Re: Data Visualization Challenge: Which Of These Dashboards Can I Submit? by virginboy1(m): 8:43am On May 28, 2022
Ugaboy:

Tools:
1. Excel (Data cleaning)

Lovely
Re: Data Visualization Challenge: Which Of These Dashboards Can I Submit? by mapet: 7:01pm On Jun 07, 2022
@OP

Apologies I've been off NL of late due to some commitments.
If it's not too late...
While I am not disposed to choosing for you as I don't know the final use and the 2 speaks to different things, here are my suggestions

1. Loose the background. It makes it sort of heavy on the eye..
2. Reconsider your colour-mix. I counted more than 5 colours in bottom and ~4 in top one, which is a bit too much. Consider limiting to 2 (max 3)
3. I believe the new drift is to have visualizations that are easy on the eye. While I appreciate the need to creatively want to show so much information compressed, once it's heavy on the eye it can be distracting. Take a less-is-more approach, you can then allow drill-downs to get to more information...
Re: Data Visualization Challenge: Which Of These Dashboards Can I Submit? by a1854: 3:04pm On Jun 11, 2022
I have a project for you on data visualization. Please
Let me know how to contact you
Re: Data Visualization Challenge: Which Of These Dashboards Can I Submit? by Ugaboy: 10:04am On Jun 12, 2022
a1854:
I have a project for you on data visualization. Please
Let me know how to contact you

My contacts is on my signature...u can call or Whatsapp me
07-0-4-0-82_16_76
Re: Data Visualization Challenge: Which Of These Dashboards Can I Submit? by virginboy1(m): 4:21pm On Jul 26, 2022
Ugaboy:

Tools:
1. Excel (Data cleaning)

Nice trial and effort

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Best Uni For Bsc. Computer Science In Nigeria / Programming Learning Challenge June. / Kano Lady, Saadat Aliyu Develops Android App For Reporting Rape Cases

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.