Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,848 members, 7,810,271 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:07 AM

The Tales Of A Worried Undergraduate. - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / The Tales Of A Worried Undergraduate. (12667 Views)

My Boss Just Did Me A Massive Favour, But I'm Still Worried. / I Am Worried My O'level Isn't Good Enough For My Cv / Pot-Bellied Nigerian Police Officers: Police Commission Worried (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Tales Of A Worried Undergraduate. by Covenant97(m): 12:28am On May 27, 2022
Good day Nairalanders,

My name is Covenant Ajolore. A level 300 undergraduate student of Accounting in a Federal university in Nigeria.

My reason for writing is to seek advice as well as see others views as regard my current situation.

It dated back some years ago after the completion of my National diploma, graduated with distinction in accountancy from kaduna polytechnic at age 20. After that I went for my 1 year IT which I did in a bank while simultaneously applying for a DE into the university which I did not get twice(no thanks to unilorin) Two years wasted.

Unfortunately, I decide to change based and opt for a school in the North. given my grade and less competition, I got in and started from level 2 at which I was going to be 23 that year.

With high hopes and enthusiasm I thought I was going to complete my degree at age 25 and then had the chance to start a career in the big 4 (this was part of my plan) and hopefully start ICAN during service. But no thanks to Covid 19, and coupled with the current ASUU strike, it is now evident that it won’t be any way possible, and has thus aggravated my fears and stress level, due to the following effect it has on my plans/goals to be achieved.

1. i won’t be qualified for any graduate trainee job which criteria is a 2.1 and 26 years of age.(I am currently on a 4.40 CGPA and yet to write level 3 first semester exams and I am earnestly working towards graduating with a first class so the 2.1 criterion won’t be a hassle for me but the age factor would be).

2.All my course mate during my National diploma days in the polytechnic that has gone back for there HND are now graduates or currently serving.

Given my current predicaments what would be your next line of action or advice if you were to be in my shoes.

PS: The thought of writing ICAN exam is scaring the shit out of me and also life after school. I don’t know if this is common.

15 Likes

Re: The Tales Of A Worried Undergraduate. by zealousayo(m): 6:59am On May 27, 2022
What will be, will be. You don't have to put yourself under pressure. You should look outside the big 4. There are still many other places to work.
By the way, try and get that first class. It will enhance your job prospect.

37 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Tales Of A Worried Undergraduate. by CrazyMan(m): 10:13am On May 27, 2022
Worry about graduating first. with your 2.1 you can apply for Msc scholarship abroad and if God is on your side you can be granted.

With an Msc degree in a place like UK, USA or Canada, whatever job you'll get over there would earn you more than the big 4 you're worrying yourself over here in Nigeria.

Look to the bright side, and think positive.

44 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Tales Of A Worried Undergraduate. by devilmaycry: 4:10pm On May 27, 2022
embarassed
Re: The Tales Of A Worried Undergraduate. by Ethannathan(m): 4:10pm On May 27, 2022
O
Re: The Tales Of A Worried Undergraduate. by Johnchrix(m): 4:11pm On May 27, 2022
If you graduate from a university and you come out looking for someone to employ you, then you are one of the problems of this country. With the knowledge and enlightenment you've gained from school, you should be the one employing and empowering people.
There are several businesses one can start building now which requires little capital but with a potential for massive returns in the long run.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Tales Of A Worried Undergraduate. by planetE(m): 4:11pm On May 27, 2022

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Tales Of A Worried Undergraduate. by oluwaseyi0: 4:11pm On May 27, 2022
stop stressing yourself over what's is out of your reach

just do your best and hope for the best

there are more than just '4' accounting/auditing firms in the country, don't cage yourself to the big 4, you should have learned that from your preferred university's continuous rejection

But on a joking note, you run to weak and inferior northern universities to snap first class, you think say you dey wise

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Tales Of A Worried Undergraduate. by Vickho: 4:13pm On May 27, 2022
Mine I got admitted in 2017 to a federal university at 26, I was due to graduate in the 2020/2021 session at age 29 so I could be eligible to serve but the COVID-19/ASUU strike in 2020 and this current strike that started on February 14 has dampened my plans.
I'm 31 years now and wouldn't be qualified for NYSC
All ASUU members will die a very painful death.

finished high school at 16.
Didn't have a sponsor then so I had to hustle, I hustled for 3 years and the proceeds from the hustle was the capital I used to set up a business.
At 21 I learnt plumbing and few other skills for two years while managing my business, at 25 I now decided to sponsor myself in the University, got admitted the following year (26) and was doing well academically (2:1) before Nigerian Government under APC and ASUU engaged on a tussle that has so affected me.
I'm so depressed at my age I'm still bearing the student tag embarassed

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Tales Of A Worried Undergraduate. by AlphaStyles(m): 4:13pm On May 27, 2022
Your own better some are 26yrs old and still in 100L some are still struggling to enter to be honest the school will get boring at some point but you will surely graduate one day just focus on improving your GPA

12 Likes

Re: The Tales Of A Worried Undergraduate. by DuBLINGreenb(m): 4:13pm On May 27, 2022
Dey there dey worry

Your worry changes NOTHING

So be of good cheer

I am sorry that Nigeria has happened to you.

You are now a casualty of Nigerianism.

Sorry sorry don’t cry, next time don’t count your eggs before they are hatched, stop counting age, you wan break record.

3 Likes

Re: The Tales Of A Worried Undergraduate. by MideMrPossible: 4:13pm On May 27, 2022
Marks are designed to make us compete for better grades amongst our colleagues for "better jobs" which we loosely translate to a better life but its not and that is why we have 2 categories of graduates.

My brother, transfer your academics intelligence into real life intelligence thereby solving real life problems in a way you commercialize yourself. As yourself, "must I work in a bank to be fulfilled"?

Check out my regenerative system of birds production using 300 egg capacity to understand my concept better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBgH4htl5HY

2 Likes

Re: The Tales Of A Worried Undergraduate. by JooEeL(m): 4:15pm On May 27, 2022
One thing I know for sure is that Nigerian students are one of the dumbest set you'd ever find. The funny thing is they think they are enlightened. You'll be hearing them singing stupid songs like "Solidarity forever"... Since 1990, no difference.

So you don't know that your mates in advanced countries do not really care about 2,1 2,2 and all that crap? Even with a graduate certificate, they are good to go. Even those who don't go to school are never afraid to make out a living because the economic conditions cater for those even with minimal skills. They can work as simple drivers for logistic or delivery companies. They could do food delivery with a car or even a good bicycle. Getting a car is not so difficult; their bank can grant them a loan. They could apply for factory, sales, bakery, cleaning jobs. And their minimum wage is sizeable enough for them to save and begin building their lives. Unlike una werey for zoo wey be say one bag of rice dey more expensive pass una 18k minimum wage.

And all what you stupid students could think in your useless protest of 2 weeks ago was ASUU strike should end. So you can keep enjoying teen vibes and off-campus cohabitation abi? Una suffering never start. If you think the Caliphate who have rendered most of their youth as almajiris in the north, are the same people that will have the best in mind for you dumbheads in the south, then your fate is sorry. The walkout of the fulani education minister when some students were agitating at his office is already enough clue to let you know your destiny, by and large, as a nigerian student is doomed. No wonder when Omoluka came to peruse the ASUU protest in OAU 2 weeks ago, I could sense his disappointment with the students; a whole Ife students still singing low-life outdated protest songs and banters, instead of sitting down to understand just how Nigeria has rendered their collective destiny to null.

But you fools will not know. Na una dey suppose dey call the original SIMPs. When your brains click into gear, you all will realise that the problem cuts deeper than just grades or strike. You'll realise Nigeria is your problem; Nigeria is that "village people" you all usually waste time praying against in church. If you are not ready to find ways to disintegrate the zoo, then we'll keep seeing more threads of lamentations as this. I saw one funny guy in another thread complaining about buying 5 mangoes for 500. Him never see anything. Una go begin count notes to buy 2 maggi. cool

20 Likes

Re: The Tales Of A Worried Undergraduate. by dahgifted(m): 4:15pm On May 27, 2022
CrazyMan:
Worry about graduating first. with your 2.1 you can apply for Msc scholarship abroad and if God is on your side you can be granted.

With an Msc degree in a place like UK, USA or Canada, whatever job you'll get over there would earn you more than the big 4 you're worrying yourself over here in Nigeria.

Look to the bright side, and think positive.
please what are the criterion needed in applying for msc scholarship abroad.... Would they be any form of exams?
Re: The Tales Of A Worried Undergraduate. by Zionzoom(m): 4:16pm On May 27, 2022
We are in this together.
The ASUU strike has spoiled a lot of plans I have.
Even one of my guy that has been applying for admission since 2018 is getting tired of all this jamb stuff even after having all the requirements to study his desired course, this country called Nigeria is tiring aswr.
I am suppose to graduate next year too but ASUU is saying another thing

2 Likes

Re: The Tales Of A Worried Undergraduate. by BabaT91(m): 4:18pm On May 27, 2022
Ask your creator for directions... God is not a man that he should lie.

1 Like

Re: The Tales Of A Worried Undergraduate. by BOOKWORMLUX(m): 4:18pm On May 27, 2022
Before comparing yourself with your mates, hope you'll also be fair to compare your self with those who have died?

I left nursing school after my year 1 to the university for same nursing (BNSc).

My mates graduated last November and are currently licensed already.

I'm still in 200 level....

I have to still appreciate God for where I am.

All things work together for good to those who love God and are called according to his purpose.

It'll end in praise.

6 Likes

Re: The Tales Of A Worried Undergraduate. by AbuAeesha: 4:18pm On May 27, 2022
whatever is destined to be yours will never pass you.
you just need to work diligently to get it.
know this and have peace!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Tales Of A Worried Undergraduate. by Kizzygentle: 4:19pm On May 27, 2022
It's good to have vision and plan and as well work towards it like you have done.. You have done your part but the Nigeria factor as usual has in one way been a stumbling block. Don't let it bother u, concentrate on graduating 1st with a good grade and then trust, things will fall in place for you with prayers.. Its not your fault and u did the right thing by forging into a university.. Try to make good friends and build connections.. The sky would only be your starting point... May the almighty who sees the heart of every man bless you richly..

3 Likes

Re: The Tales Of A Worried Undergraduate. by LordIsaac(m): 4:19pm On May 27, 2022
ASUU, when you were making the plans....

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Tales Of A Worried Undergraduate. by SmallDick99(m): 4:19pm On May 27, 2022
grin fry
Re: The Tales Of A Worried Undergraduate. by qanda: 4:19pm On May 27, 2022
Hi Covenant, there is nothing to be worried about.

The private labour marketplace is mostly merit, value and skill driven

In addition to your drive to graduate with a minimum of 2.1 grade, consider taking online courses on Data Analysis or Business Analysis.

If you don't get into the Big 4 as a graduate trainee you can join them as an experienced hire.

Lastly, there is nothing to be scared about with ICAN. Just get started, you have what it takes.

I know a number of undergraduates who undertook and completed their ICAN journey as undergraduates.

If you make the best of your ASUU break periods, it will be a blessing in disguise. Make every moment count.

Lastly, Install Q and A App on Playstore. You'd get Free access to ICAN study materials, past questions and answers and loads of other useful materials.

Get Q and A App from Playstore now
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tolu.qanda

Covenant, I look forward to hearing your success stories.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Tales Of A Worried Undergraduate. by HomoSapiien: 4:20pm On May 27, 2022
Gather money and start your own business instead of wasting money and time writing ICAN.

ICAN is becoming overrated because the supply is coming more than the demand lately.

1 Like

Re: The Tales Of A Worried Undergraduate. by makavalley(m): 4:20pm On May 27, 2022
Hey you calm down , you're worrying too much. this how people move from worrying stage to depressed state of mind and then suicide. This is not your only route to successful and fulfilled life you wish for.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

What Tech Skill Can I Combine With Bricklaying? / Abia Polytechnic Sacks 258 Workers / Local Government Workers In Kwara Reject Share Of Paris Club Loan Refund

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.