Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,008 members, 7,821,544 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 02:44 PM

The Tales Of A Worried Undergraduate. - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / The Tales Of A Worried Undergraduate. (12691 Views)

My Boss Just Did Me A Massive Favour, But I'm Still Worried. / I Am Worried My O'level Isn't Good Enough For My Cv / Pot-Bellied Nigerian Police Officers: Police Commission Worried (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Tales Of A Worried Undergraduate. by 2braithe: 5:07pm On May 27, 2022
JohnBullMySon:
Are you going to pay for his MSc degree?

99% of Nigerians have savings less than 500k NGN.

Didn't you see he mentioned "Scholarship"?

JohnBullMySon,I sent you to school,you don't know what is scho-lar-ship!
Re: The Tales Of A Worried Undergraduate. by Harrykn: 5:10pm On May 27, 2022
Vickho:

I'm 31 years now and wouldn't be qualified for NYSC
All ASUU members will die a very painful death. -[
ASUU didnt do this to you sir. FG Should be blamed for constructing Railway from Iran to Dubai instead of paying even half of the money to ASUU.
Lecturers are poorly paid that’s why they force all those textbook, sorting, etc on us (students). They rarely drive Good cars, own luxury houses etc yet dem dey come school everyday, dey lecture Bsc, Msc, PGd, ND, HND, et all. Take more than 2 lectures at each Edu stage everyday. Make Musa try bring Money Abeg, if nah my papa i no for gree because for this safe country some people are heavily paid for just doing nothing. Just come and seat, as you dey stand up dey go 3-8 million.
I support ASUU anytime, mek FG look their matter abeg.

1 Like

Re: The Tales Of A Worried Undergraduate. by SimeonOTC(m): 5:10pm On May 27, 2022
Johnchrix:
If you graduate from a university and you come out looking for someone to employ you, then you are one of the problems of this country. With the knowledge and enlightenment you've gained from school, you should be the one employing and empowering people.
There are several businesses one can start building now which requires little capital but with a potential for massive returns in the long run.

expect you are not leaving in Nigeria, everything you typed is complete trash and you shouldn't be allowing this nonsense out of your brain.. it will make people think you are stupid.

what knowledge and enlightenment does school give with their outdating low self-esteem curriculum?

'...he should be empowering people..'grin, with what exactly? do higher gift graduate funds after graduation? where do you him to get the fund to build a business and start employing and empowering people within a short time after graduation ?

'..Little capital, massive return..'grin come, listen to me, you very stupid..
Re: The Tales Of A Worried Undergraduate. by JooEeL(m): 5:11pm On May 27, 2022
2braithe:

You stated a problem which is Nigeria.But you didn't state any solution.

Should we all sit back at home and wait for a miraculous catapult to fire us abroad?
Should we ignore making good grades just because our counterparts abroad don't care about grades?
Should we desist from protesting and stop expressing our grievances towards the appropriate authorities?

Your write up is anything but complete.

The solution of my writeup is a complete dissolution of Nigeria with respect to similar tribes and cultures.
Re: The Tales Of A Worried Undergraduate. by Invest4growth: 5:11pm On May 27, 2022
What will be will be. Meanwhile, you can save some time by starting your professional Examinations now. Study well right away. Perhaps by the time you are finishing the degree programme, you will also be a qualified Chartered Accountant. This is best course for you. Do not waste your time on frivolities. Burn the midnight oil!
Re: The Tales Of A Worried Undergraduate. by Vickho: 5:13pm On May 27, 2022
Harrykn:

ASUU didnt do this to you sir. FG Should be blamed for constructing Railway from Iran to Dubai instead of paying even half of the money to ASUU.
Lecturers are poorly paid that’s why they force all those textbook, sorting, etc on us (students). They rarely drive Good cars, own luxury houses etc yet dem dey come school everyday, dey lecture Bsc, Msc, PGd, ND, HND, et all. Take more than 2 lectures at each Edu stage everyday. Make Musa try bring Money Abeg, if nah my papa i no for gree because for this safe country some people are heavily paid for just doing nothing. Just come and seat, as you dey stand up dey go 3-8 million.
I support ASUU anytime, mek FG look their matter abeg.
I don't think the struggle is mainly for the money.
The bone of contention and the main aim of the strike is the payment platform (from IPPIS to ASUU recommended UTAS) and also renegotiation of the 2009 memorandum
Re: The Tales Of A Worried Undergraduate. by Harrykn: 5:14pm On May 27, 2022
qanda:
Hi Covenant let, there is nothing to be worried about.

The private labour marketplace is mostly merit, value and skill driven

In addition to your drive to graduate with a minimum of 2.1 grade, consider taking online courses on Data Analysis or Business Analysis.

If you don't get into the Big 4 as a graduate trainee you can join them as an experienced hire.

Lastly, there is nothing to be scared about with ICAN. Just get started, you have what it takes.

I know a number of undergraduates who undertook and completed their ICAN journey as undergraduates.

If you make the best of your ASUU break periods, it will be a blessing in disguise. Make every moment count.

Lastly, Install Q and A App on Playstore. You'd get Free access to ICAN study materials, past questions and answers and loads of other useful materials.

Get Q and A App from Playstore now
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tolu.qanda

Covenant, I look forward to hearing your success stories.

Covenant shey nah Wetin you bin dey find be this! Oya come carry am.
Re: The Tales Of A Worried Undergraduate. by 2braithe: 5:15pm On May 27, 2022
Creeknigga:

Hello?
Its like 'you are me' from alternate universe o.
Same age(16) that I left high school, same year (2017)I gained admission, almost same age, facing the same predicament.
I even had to chat my course adviser up to tell her my problem and jokingly told her I wished ASUU will call off the strike for me to graduate and then they could continue there strike and she said I'm selfish, that she is disappointed in me. Can you imagine?
She doesn't know how depressed I've been for the past 2 months now.

How about they that haven't been paid salary since strike?
Re: The Tales Of A Worried Undergraduate. by LyfeJennings(m): 5:21pm On May 27, 2022
Covenant97:
Good day Nairalanders,

My name is Covenant Ajolore. A level 300 undergraduate student of Accounting in a Federal university in Nigeria.

My reason for writing is to seek advice as well as see others views as regard my current situation.

It dated back some years ago after the completion of my National diploma, graduated with distinction in accountancy from kaduna polytechnic at age 20. After that I went for my 1 year IT which I did in a bank while simultaneously applying for a DE into the university which I did not get twice(no thanks to unilorin) Two years wasted.

Unfortunately, I decide to change based and opt for a school in the North. given my grade and less competition, I got in and started from level 2 at which I was going to be 23 that year.

With high hopes and enthusiasm I thought I was going to complete my degree at age 25 and then had the chance to start a career in the big 4 (this was part of my plan) and hopefully start ICAN during service. But no thanks to Covid 19, and coupled with the current ASUU strike, it is now evident that it won’t be any way possible, and has thus aggravated my fears and stress level, due to the following effect it has on my plans/goals to be achieved.

1. i won’t be qualified for any graduate trainee job which criteria is a 2.1 and 26 years of age.(I am currently on a 4.40 CGPA and yet to write level 3 first semester exams and I am earnestly working towards graduating with a first class so the 2.1 criterion won’t be a hassle for me but the age factor would be).

2.All my course mate during my National diploma days in the polytechnic that has gone back for there HND are now graduates or currently serving.

Given my current predicaments what would be your next line of action or advice if you were to be in my shoes.

PS: The thought of writing ICAN exam is scaring the shit out of me and also life after school. I don’t know if this is common.

Lmao
Let me tell U a true life story
At the age of 27, I almost committed suicide cos I wasn't unemployable
I was a nuisance
A nincompoop
An e-diot
At 30, I got my job in the corporate world as an intern
I interned for 3years +
Resigned out of anger
God gave another chance as a full staff in another firm
Then I am still an idiot
about to resign to another much more well paying job which will take away my financial tears
I mean earning over half a million per month
My dear, Life happens when U least expect
Just be hopeful and prayerful

2 Likes

Re: The Tales Of A Worried Undergraduate. by 2braithe: 5:23pm On May 27, 2022
OvaSabi1:
Not all big 4 companies specify the age requirement in their job ads. You should do a Google search to know which one in particular, then target that firm. Also, some multinational companies as well as banks will pay you even more than some big 4 firms and they do not discriminate against age. When I say banks, I am not referring to marketing. There are banks that are looking for people to fill in core finance roles.
Please focus on passing your ican exam at once. Prepare in advance so that you can complete it just as your service year is ending. You need to read as if you are preparing to join Russian troops in Ukraine. I am a lecturer in a Nigerian University and I teach Accounting. I am confident that a student with your CGPA will do well in the labour market. Overthinking might cause more harm than good. Relax and take each day as it comes.

Again, you can decide to go into core fintech by learning a finance related programming language like python or R.

Again, ensure that you take your final year project seriously. Don't do plagiarism. Go and learn how to do research in Accounting from scratch. An original study can be published and can help you get a scholarship. Another thing is that when your lecturers know that you are good in research, they can help you get a job in academia. But this is risky because some lecturers can use sweet mouth to deceive students so that they can continue to use them.

Lastly, look for a hobby outside academics. Playing musical instruments, poetry, chess, football? Whatever. This can also help in scholarship applications especially if you hold leadership positions in any of these activities.

You nailed it ma'am.
However, will you advise ICAN for someone who plans on going abroad?Say USA.
Re: The Tales Of A Worried Undergraduate. by Harrykn: 5:26pm On May 27, 2022
Vickho:
I don't think the struggle is mainly for the money.
The bone of contention and the main aim of the strike is the payment platform (from IPPIS to ASUU recommended UTAS) and also renegotiation of the 2009 memorandum
The Federal Government is not trying at all sir. This is a very simple issue to negotiate but no, they won’t. Instead more loans, attend international meetings, wait for Tinubu’s downfall, build rail from terror zone to a very peaceful state. Support ukraine wey citizens get better life pass your own, just wait very soon e go offer financial support. E taya me boss. My 4 years turn 6, project work i bin stop @ Empirical concept n till today God knows that I haven’t even opened the file. Everybody is doing anyhow, everywhere is so blindfolded. My school ID don expire, everything is scattered. Course forms and school fees not stamped, omor this final year strike is a huge turn off to my academic life. Now i belong to the streets and the streets alone.

1 Like

Re: The Tales Of A Worried Undergraduate. by 2braithe: 5:28pm On May 27, 2022
JooEeL:

The solution of my writeup is a complete dissolution of Nigeria with respect to similar tribes and cultures.

Dissolution is a long term solution.

So you expect students to sit,fold their arms and wait for dissolution?

Give us a short term solution that can get us out of this mess while working towards dissolution.If not,you've just said nothing!
Re: The Tales Of A Worried Undergraduate. by Harrykn: 5:31pm On May 27, 2022
LyfeJennings:

Lmao
I was a nuisance
A nincompoop
An e-diot
I interned for 3years +
Resigned out of anger
Then I am still an idiot
about to resign to another much more well paying job which will take away my financial tears
Nah this kind motivation i need.
Abeg if you wan resign again consider me boss
I’m an e-diot too, a total nuisance and a complete nincompoop too.

2 Likes

Re: The Tales Of A Worried Undergraduate. by Johnchrix(m): 5:42pm On May 27, 2022
IbekweTony17:

Ogaa make Una de calm down abegg
You no go motivate your self ni
Re: The Tales Of A Worried Undergraduate. by GrandfinaIe2021: 5:51pm On May 27, 2022
Harrykn:

E taya me boss. My 4 years turn 6, project work i bin stop @ Empirical concept n till today God knows that I haven’t even opened the file. Everybody is doing anyhow, everywhere is so blindfolded. My school ID don expire, everything is scattered. Course forms and school fees not stamped, omor this final year strike is a huge turn off to my academic life. Now i belong to the streets and the streets alone.
same here bro, my ID card sef don expire, project wey I stop for chapter 2 and 3 it was in my PC, PC crashed and I lost all of them. Now I need to start afresh.
We wey dey this final year set we don hear am and after we finally graduate I go give testimony for church.
Right now I dey for my house dey waste from Monday to Friday while people are going to work and jobs no even dey here sef which certificate I wan use
Uniben sef don show me shege.
We'll surely overcome at last.
Cc shineoneday

1 Like

Re: The Tales Of A Worried Undergraduate. by Allisgud: 5:59pm On May 27, 2022
This analysis self tire me
Re: The Tales Of A Worried Undergraduate. by JohnBullMySon: 6:02pm On May 27, 2022
2braithe:

Didn't you see he mentioned "Scholarship"?

JohnBullMySon,I sent you to school,you don't know what is scho-lar-ship!
How many Nigerians have you seen who got a full masters scholarship?
Re: The Tales Of A Worried Undergraduate. by Obaman12: 6:05pm On May 27, 2022
GrandfinaIe2021:
same here bro, my ID card sef don expire, project wey I stop for chapter 2 and 3 it was in my PC, PC crashed and I lost all of them. Now I need to start afresh.
We wey dey this final year set we don hear am and after we finally graduate I go give testimony for church.
Right now I dey for my house dey waste from Monday to Friday while people are going to work and jobs no even dey here sef which certificate I wan use
Uniben sef don show me shege.
We'll surely overcome at last.
Cc shineoneday

Bro! Be not dismayed, keep your head straight. Everything will be just fine soon with time.

Na who give up f*ck up!

Modified*
Coming from a senior comrade that's also been affected by the system. I'll be 30 this year by the way

1 Like

Re: The Tales Of A Worried Undergraduate. by Dammyseyon(m): 6:05pm On May 27, 2022
Take things easy bro. I finished school at 20, service at 21 and I didnt get a job until I was 25. Its not really about how early you finish school the most important thing is knowing the right thing at the right time. School won't even teach you or prepare you for the outside world.
Just brace up and be close to God. Nigeria is a wilderness for the less privileged. You'll be fine irrespective, worry less.

2 Likes

Re: The Tales Of A Worried Undergraduate. by darichlife: 6:08pm On May 27, 2022
Vickho:
Mine I got admitted in 2017 to a federal university at 26, I was due to graduate in the 2020/2021 session at age 29 so I could be eligible to serve but the COVID-19/ASUU strike in 2020 and this current strike that started on February 14 has dampened my plans.
All ASUU members will die a very painful death.

finished high school at 16.
Didn't have a sponsor then so I had to hustle, I hustled for 3 years and the proceeds from the hustle was the capital I used to set up a business.
At 21 I learnt plumbing and few other skills for two years while managing my business, at 25 I now decided to sponsor myself in the University, got admitted the following year (26) and was doing well academically (2:1) before Nigerian Government under APC and ASUU engaged on a tussle that has so affected me.
I'm so depressed at my age I'm still bearing the student tag embarassed
Change your date of birth on JAMB portal if you want serve.

2 Likes

Re: The Tales Of A Worried Undergraduate. by Sureboyy(m): 6:09pm On May 27, 2022
Johnchrix:
If you graduate from a university and you come out looking for someone to employ you, then you are one of the problems of this country. With the knowledge and enlightenment you've gained from school, you should be the one employing and empowering people.
There are several businesses one can start building now which requires little capital but with a potential for massive returns in the long run.
Like which job exactly?
Re: The Tales Of A Worried Undergraduate. by Sureboyy(m): 6:11pm On May 27, 2022
Vickho:
Mine I got admitted in 2017 to a federal university at 26, I was due to graduate in the 2020/2021 session at age 29 so I could be eligible to serve but the COVID-19/ASUU strike in 2020 and this current strike that started on February 14 has dampened my plans.
All ASUU members will die a very painful death.

finished high school at 16.
Didn't have a sponsor then so I had to hustle, I hustled for 3 years and the proceeds from the hustle was the capital I used to set up a business.
At 21 I learnt plumbing and few other skills for two years while managing my business, at 25 I now decided to sponsor myself in the University, got admitted the following year (26) and was doing well academically (2:1) before Nigerian Government under APC and ASUU engaged on a tussle that has so affected me.
I'm so depressed at my age I'm still bearing the student tag embarassed
Better days ahead man
All the best cry cry

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Tales Of A Worried Undergraduate. by Divay22(f): 6:13pm On May 27, 2022
LyfeJennings:

Lmao
I was a nuisance
A nincompoop
An e-diot
I interned for 3years +
Resigned out of anger
Then I am still an idiot
What a story..
Indeed life can happen anytime... Either now or later.
Re: The Tales Of A Worried Undergraduate. by Nobody: 6:19pm On May 27, 2022
Your focus now should be becoming the most marketable accounting graduate you can be. This is 100% within your control.

1. Ensure you finish with a first class
2. Certification: Writing ICAN should be a no-brainer for you. If you have the finances, write CFA instead. This would give you a soft landing into investment banking which does not have rigid age restrictions.
3. Internship: You also need to complete 1-2 internships before you graduate. This ASUU strike period is a good time to start hunting for internships. To secure internships, try sending cold emails selling yourself to recruiters/HR rep in your target companies. Linkedin should be your friend to get these contacts. Most companies emails follow this pattern - firstname.lastname@companyname.com.
4. Sharpen your technical skills - you need to master MS powerpoint & excel. There are free Youtube courses for this.
5. Move to Lagos (another no brainer). Ensure you "work" your NYSC location to Lagos and your NYSC posting to a reasonable company in Lagos so you do not waste another extra year.
6. Get close to God, you need Him on your side.

These things work based on leverage. Being on a first class track + writing certification + technical skills makes you attractive for undergrad internship recruiters. A first class grad + ICAN/CFA + Undergrad internships + technical skills makes you more attractive for premium Graduate roles despite your age. When you are in Lagos, you are closest to the best opportunities and you have young, smart, like-minded graduates who will put you on your toes. Stop worrying and get to work. If you do all these things I mentioned, even village people cannot stop you.

Alternatively, you can pivot to tech. Replace learning programing languages with the certification I listed up there. Then rinse and repeat.

Goodluck!

2 Likes

Re: The Tales Of A Worried Undergraduate. by nedekid: 6:37pm On May 27, 2022
Kai, naija a dream killing.
Dont know what to advice you.
Other more knowledgeable will.
E go betta..
Re: The Tales Of A Worried Undergraduate. by JooEeL(m): 6:40pm On May 27, 2022
2braithe:

Dissolution is a long term solution.

So you expect students to sit,fold their arms and wait for dissolution?

Give us a short term solution that can get us out of this mess while working towards dissolution.If not,you've just said nothing!

It is short-term solutions since 1990 that has brought us to where we are today. Small manageable but ultimately useless short-term solutions is why ASUU has struck more than 20 times in the last 20 years.

If you are from Yoruba land, go and ask your parents what education was like when Yoruba was at least in its regional government and see what we achieved. There were no useless strikes. School was affordable and free for the most part. In fact, Awolowo's education policy had Yoruba well-to-do volunteering in many ways. Many gave out their buildings and lands for free education. This was our trajectory until One Nigeria dislodged us. Many of the Oduduwa institutions built within that period: OAU, UI etc. are still the remaining citadels holding out its glory still -- albeit fading.

Long and short, the time for that long-term solution is now!
Re: The Tales Of A Worried Undergraduate. by GrandfinaIe2021: 6:42pm On May 27, 2022
Obaman12:

Bro! Be not dismayed, keep your head straight. Everything will be just fine soon with time.

Na who give up f*ck up!

Modified*
Coming from a senior comrade that's also been affected by the system. I'll be 30 this year by the way

senior comrade weldone sir cool but I'm 32 years already.
Got admitted at 28, I'm 32 now embarassed
You're right na who give up fucck up.
We'll overcome at last

1 Like

Re: The Tales Of A Worried Undergraduate. by CrazyMan(m): 6:45pm On May 27, 2022
JohnBullMySon:
Are you going to pay for his MSc degree?

99% of Nigerians have savings less than 500k NGN.
You obviously omitted the part where I said Scholarship if he's granted scholarship, he clearly wouldn't need any sponsor.
Re: The Tales Of A Worried Undergraduate. by GrandfinaIe2021: 6:50pm On May 27, 2022
darichlife:

Change your date of birth on JAMB portal if you want serve.
not at this stage, he already submitted those documents including his date of birth during 100 level screening, won't it affect him?
I'm also in the same shoe.
I'm 32 and I'll like to serve even if it means bypassing or bribing
Re: The Tales Of A Worried Undergraduate. by GrandfinaIe2021: 6:54pm On May 27, 2022
Treasure17:
I do tell aspiring undergraduates that they have to factor in ASUU strikes and Nigeria factor in whatever plans roaming in their heads. 2+2 is not 4 here. However OP, run your race according to your own space and consider the best option that suit your desire.

Dr Olukoya wrote a book called The Tragedy of Unprofitable Comparison.
I need that book, is there a soft copy?
Re: The Tales Of A Worried Undergraduate. by GrandfinaIe2021: 6:55pm On May 27, 2022
Creeknigga:

Hello?
Its like 'you are me' from alternate universe o.
Same age(16) that I left high school, same year (2017)I gained admission, almost same age, facing the same predicament.
I even had to chat my course adviser up to tell her my problem and jokingly told her I wished ASUU will call off the strike for me to graduate and then they could continue there strike and she said I'm selfish, that she is disappointed in me. Can you imagine?
She doesn't know how depressed I've been for the past 2 months now.
same here oh boss we gather plenty

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

What Tech Skill Can I Combine With Bricklaying? / 6 Proven Ways To Negotiate A Higher Salary / Local Government Workers In Kwara Reject Share Of Paris Club Loan Refund

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.