Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,770 members, 7,817,124 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:34 AM

The Tales Of A Worried Undergraduate. - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / The Tales Of A Worried Undergraduate. (12679 Views)

My Boss Just Did Me A Massive Favour, But I'm Still Worried. / I Am Worried My O'level Isn't Good Enough For My Cv / Pot-Bellied Nigerian Police Officers: Police Commission Worried (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Tales Of A Worried Undergraduate. by Eastcoastboy(m): 4:20pm On May 27, 2022
The tale of every Nigerian Undergraduate at the moment. Shit's really crazy.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Tales Of A Worried Undergraduate. by Zionzoom(m): 4:20pm On May 27, 2022
Vickho:
Mine I got admitted in 2017 to a federal university at 26 I was due to graduate 2020/2021 session at age 29 so I could be eligible to serve but the COVID-19/ASUU strike in 2020 and this current strike that started on February 14 has dampened my plans.
I'm 31 years now and wouldn't be qualified for NYSC
All ASUU members will die a very painful death.
its painful I swear

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Tales Of A Worried Undergraduate. by ASHTAROTH: 4:21pm On May 27, 2022
Covenant97

I was in your shoes few years ago.
I also came to naira land for advice. https://www.nairaland.com/2746344/please-advice-degree-nursing-degree

Please, don't despair, you are almost there.

Forget Nigeria, you are brilliant, focus on graduating with a first or strong 2:1, start foreign admission in your penultimate year. By God's grace I got in for more than 3 PhD admissions (all fully funded) before I even wrote my final exams in Uni. You can do same too!

3 Likes

Re: The Tales Of A Worried Undergraduate. by luskysylver(m): 4:22pm On May 27, 2022
U DON'T NEED TO BE AFRAID OF THE FUTURE FOR ANY REASON OK. FIRST AND FOREMOST WHEN THE STRIKE IS OVER AND U GRADUATE APPRECIATE GOD FOR THAT FIRST. SECONDLY DURING UR NYSC, U CAN START UR ICAN EXAM AND BELIEVE U MEAN ICAN IS NOT AS DIFFICULT AS U THINK IT IS. I HAVE IT AND I CAN TELL U FOR SURE. U CAN BE WRITING THE PAPERS PIECEMEAL OK. U MUST NOT WRITE EVERYTHING ONCE. SECONDLY UR DESTINY AND UR FUTURE DOES NOT DEPEND ON THE DESTINY AND FUTURE OF OTHERS. U ARE ADDING PRESSURE ON YOURSELF FOR COMPARING YOURSELF WITH UR FORMER COURSE MATES. U MUST BE RICHER THAN SOME, SOME MUST BE RICHER THAN U, SOME WILL MARRY BE U AND U WILL MARRY B4 SOME. JUST FOLLOW UR OWN PATH, BUT WHICH EVER PATH U HAVE CHOSEN MAKE SURE U ARE MOVING FORWARD. THIS IS FROM A HEART THAT ONCE HAD SUCH FEARS. U DONT NEED TO BE AFRAID PLS.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Tales Of A Worried Undergraduate. by Anaerobi(m): 4:22pm On May 27, 2022
Hmmmmm.

What will be will be bro.

I finished my diploma at age of 20... Hoping that at worst before 25, I will be a graduate.

Spent 5yrs buying DE, yet admission wasn't coming. I have to zero my mind and go back to Poly for my HND after a wasted 5yrs. Now done with my HND, and now held up with Jamb reguralization of a thing. Only the Master knows when Jamb head quarter Abuja will give us the go ahead to do it.
I don't want to look at my age now, because it will discourage me. I just hand everything over to God.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Tales Of A Worried Undergraduate. by JohnBullMySon: 4:22pm On May 27, 2022
CrazyMan:
Worry about graduating first. with your 2.1 you can apply for Msc scholarship abroad and if God is on your side you can be granted.

With an Msc degree in a place like UK, USA or Canada, whatever job you'll get over there would earn you more than the big 4 you're worrying yourself over here in Nigeria.

Look to the bright side, and think positive.
Are you going to pay for his MSc degree?

99% of Nigerians have savings less than 500k NGN.
Re: The Tales Of A Worried Undergraduate. by Chimera30: 4:24pm On May 27, 2022
Vickho:
Mine I got admitted in 2017 to a federal university at 26 I was due to graduate 2020/2021 session at age 29 so I could be eligible to serve but the COVID-19/ASUU strike in 2020 and this current strike that started on February 14 has dampened my plans.

Chai , reading this kind of comments breaks my heart into pieces.
God help us.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Tales Of A Worried Undergraduate. by fastseo: 4:25pm On May 27, 2022
sad
You worry tooo much.
Do your best and leave the rest to God.

Do not fail to take onlie courses that will position you for any IT jobs as you can work remotely.

I graduated with a less grade and had to throw my cert somewhere and improve my self in IT. am earning nothing less than *** per month

Please focus less on the environment you find yourself (Nigerian) where all they care is 2:1 or grades. The white man will hire you without asking for grades all they care is can you do this job?

Please don't worry ur self too much okay. U are too young for wahala weh full life

2 Likes

Re: The Tales Of A Worried Undergraduate. by sexyjuly117: 4:26pm On May 27, 2022
Ghanaians got it right with the idea of a forum
leXHansplaCE65: I hardly help people broadcast but I think the forum is great. Kudos to Ghanaians

Re: The Tales Of A Worried Undergraduate. by JooEeL(m): 4:28pm On May 27, 2022
Re: The Tales Of A Worried Undergraduate. by Harrykn: 4:29pm On May 27, 2022
I started university @ 16, i thought I’ll be out @20. Here i am sitting at bet shop every morning @ 21 looking for sharp 2 odds, calculating bonus.
My four years turned six, Project not completed, Dept dues/fees hanging. I had ICAN Dreams too but where I even see money buy Advanced Accounting Textbook! Cgpa @ 3.81

Nna all your worries dey ment, go learn trade now oh or chill till you graduate come work for 30BG because Big 4 no dey recruit again.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Tales Of A Worried Undergraduate. by PermSec01(m): 4:30pm On May 27, 2022
Covenant97:
Good day Nairalanders,

My name is Covenant Ajolore. A level 300 undergraduate student of Accounting in a Federal university in Nigeria.

My reason for writing is to seek advice as well as see others views as regard my current situation.

It dated back some years ago after the completion of my National diploma, graduated with distinction in accountancy from kaduna polytechnic at age 20. After that I went for my 1 year IT which I did in a bank while simultaneously applying for a DE into the university which I did not get twice(no thanks to unilorin) Two years wasted.

Unfortunately, I decide to change based and opt for a school in the North. given my grade and less competition, I got in and started from level 2 at which I was going to be 23 that year.

With high hopes and enthusiasm I thought I was going to complete my degree at age 25 and then had the chance to start a career in the big 4 (this was part of my plan) and hopefully start ICAN during service. But no thanks to Covid 19, and coupled with the current ASUU strike, it is now evident that it won’t be any way possible, and has thus aggravated my fears and stress level, due to the following effect it has on my plans/goals to be achieved.

1. i won’t be qualified for any graduate trainee job which criteria is a 2.1 and 26 years of age.(I am currently on a 4.40 CGPA and yet to write level 3 first semester exams and I am earnestly working towards graduating with a first class so the 2.1 criterion won’t be a hassle for me but the age factor would be).

2.All my course mate during my National diploma days in the polytechnic that has gone back for there HND are now graduates or currently serving.

Given my current predicaments what would be your next line of action or advice if you were to be in my shoes.

PS: The thought of writing ICAN exam is scaring the shit out of me and also life after school. I don’t know if this is common.
@ op are you in BUK

1 Like

Re: The Tales Of A Worried Undergraduate. by GboyegaD(m): 4:31pm On May 27, 2022
I don't think there is much reasons to be worried as it is no fault of yours. If you can't cope with doing ICAN as a student, just wait till you finish school and file for whatever exemptions you qualify for and take it up from there.
Re: The Tales Of A Worried Undergraduate. by Vickho: 4:31pm On May 27, 2022
Chimera30:

Chai , reading this kind of comments breaks my heart into pieces.
God help us.
finished high school at 16.
Didn't have a sponsor then so I had to hustle, I hustled for 3 years and the proceeds from the hustle was the capital I used to set up a business, at 21 I learnt plumbing and few other skills for two years while managing my business, at 25 I now decided to sponsor myself in the University, got admitted the following year (26) and was doing well academically (2:1) before Nigerian Government under APC and ASUU engaged on a tussle that has so affected me.
I'm so depressed at my age I'm still bearing the student tag embarassed
Re: The Tales Of A Worried Undergraduate. by Nobody: 4:32pm On May 27, 2022
Health360:
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Why u dey laugh like this nah undecided
Re: The Tales Of A Worried Undergraduate. by SalemIfeanyi1(m): 4:33pm On May 27, 2022
Be positive and bright, keep your eyes on the ball.
Goodluck!
Re: The Tales Of A Worried Undergraduate. by Treasure17(m): 4:39pm On May 27, 2022
I do tell aspiring undergraduates that they have to factor in ASUU strikes and Nigeria factor in whatever plans roaming in their heads. 2+2 is not 4 here. However OP, run your race according to your own space and consider the best option that suit your desire.

Dr Olukoya wrote a book called The Tragedy of Unprofitable Comparison.
Re: The Tales Of A Worried Undergraduate. by Bbbw: 4:41pm On May 27, 2022
Hmmm
Re: The Tales Of A Worried Undergraduate. by InsideLove(f): 4:42pm On May 27, 2022
Bexbidd:
Everyone's worried in this country

Absolute truth.
Re: The Tales Of A Worried Undergraduate. by dollynnn(f): 4:44pm On May 27, 2022
JooEeL:
One thing I know for sure is that Nigerian students are one of the dumbest set you'd ever find. The funny thing is they think they are enlightened. You'll be hearing them singing stupid songs like "Solidarity forever"... Since 1990, no difference.

So you don't know that your mates in advanced countries do not really care about 2,1 2,2 and all that crap? Even with a graduate certificate, they are good to go. Even those who don't go to school are never afraid to make out a living because the economic conditions cater for those even with minimal skills. They can work as simple drivers for logistic or delivery companies. They could do food delivery with a car or even a good bicycle. Getting a car is not so difficult; their bank can grant them a loan. They could apply for factory, sales, bakery, cleaning jobs. And their minimum wage is sizeable enough for them to save and begin building their lives. Unlike una werey for zoo wey be say one bag of rice dey more expensive pass una 18k minimum wage.

And all what you stupid students could think in your useless protest of 2 weeks ago was ASUU strike should end. So you can keep enjoying teen vibes and off-campus cohabitation abi? Una suffering never start. If you think the Caliphate who have rendered most of their youth as almajiris in the north, are the same people that will have the best in mind for you dumbheads in the south, then your fate is sorry. The walkout of the fulani education minister when some students were agitating at his office is already enough clue to let you know your destiny, by and large, as a nigerian student is doomed. No wonder when Omoluka came to peruse the ASUU protest in OAU 2 weeks ago, I could sense his disappointment with the students; a whole Ife students still singing low-life outdated protest songs and banters, instead of sitting down to understand just how Nigeria has rendered their collective destiny to null.

But you fools will not know. Na una dey suppose dey call the original SIMPs. When your brains click into gear, you all will realise that the problem cuts deeper than just grades or strike. You'll realise Nigeria is your problem; Nigeria is that "village people" you all usually waste time praying against in church. If you are not ready to find ways to disintegrate the zoo, then we'll keep seeing more threads of lamentations as this. I saw one funny guy in another thread complaining about buying 5 mangoes for 500. Him never see anything. Una go begin count notes to buy 2 maggi. cool
So, what exactly are you saying?

1 Like

Re: The Tales Of A Worried Undergraduate. by Harrykn: 4:46pm On May 27, 2022
JooEeL:
One thing I know for sure is that Nigerian students are one of the dumbest set you'd ever find. The funny thing is they think they are enlightened. You'll be hearing them singing stupid songs like "Solidarity forever"... Since 1990, no difference.

So you don't know that your mates in advanced countries do not really care about 2,1 2,2 and all that crap? Even with a graduate certificate, they are good to go. Even those who don't go to school are never afraid to make out a living because the economic conditions cater for those even with minimal skills. They can work as simple drivers for logistic or delivery companies. They could do food delivery with a car or even a good bicycle. Getting a car is not so difficult; their bank can grant them a loan. They could apply for factory, sales, bakery, cleaning jobs. And their minimum wage is sizeable enough for them to save and begin building their lives. Unlike una werey for zoo wey be say one bag of rice dey more expensive pass una 18k minimum wage.

And all what you stupid students could think in your useless protest of 2 weeks ago was ASUU strike should end. So you can keep enjoying teen vibes and off-campus cohabitation abi? Una suffering never start. If you think the Caliphate who have rendered most of their youth as almajiris in the north, are the same people that will have the best in mind for you dumbheads in the south, then your fate is sorry. The walkout of the fulani education minister when some students were agitating at his office is already enough clue to let you know your destiny, by and large, as a nigerian student is doomed.

But you fools will not know. Na una dey suppose dey call the original SIMPs. When your brains click into gear, you all will realise that the problem cuts deeper than just grades or strike. You'll realise Nigeria is your problem; Nigeria is that "village people" you all usually waste time praying against in church. If you are not ready to find ways to disintegrate the zoo, then we'll keep seeing more threads of lamentations as this. I saw one funny guy in another thread complaining about buying 5 mangoes for 500. Him never see anything. Una go begin count notes to buy 2 maggi. cheesy
@Seniorwriter....
Recruit dey oh!
I no see any relevant details for this 4pages Article Review.

1 Like

Re: The Tales Of A Worried Undergraduate. by Alsakinah: 4:47pm On May 27, 2022
zealousayo:
What will be, will be. You don't have to put yourself under pressure. You should look outside the big 4. There are still many other places to work.
By the way, try and get that first class. It will enhance your job prospect.

Take this advise.

1 Like

Re: The Tales Of A Worried Undergraduate. by InsideLove(f): 4:49pm On May 27, 2022
Vickho:
Mine I got admitted in 2017 to a federal university at 26, I was due to graduate in the 2020/2021 session at age 29 so I could be eligible to serve but the COVID-19/ASUU strike in 2020 and this current strike that started on February 14 has dampened my plans.

Didn't have a sponsor then so I had to hustle, I hustled for 3 years and the proceeds from the hustle was the capital I used to set up a business.
At 21 I learnt plumbing and few other skills for two years while managing my business, at 25 I now decided to sponsor myself in the University, got admitted the following year (26) and was doing well academically (2:1) before Nigerian Government under APC and ASUU engaged on a tussle that has so affected me.

You are not alone. So many in the same shoe.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Tales Of A Worried Undergraduate. by Harrykn: 4:49pm On May 27, 2022
HomoSapiien:
Gather money and start your own business instead of wasting money and time writing ICAN.

ICAN is becoming overrated because the supply is coming more than the demand lately.
Nah over wisdom worry you boss. Abeg cut small for me.

1 Like

Re: The Tales Of A Worried Undergraduate. by Incognito21: 4:50pm On May 27, 2022
If you have sure USA client I have update for you ☺️

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Tales Of A Worried Undergraduate. by Xj2020: 4:52pm On May 27, 2022
Most of my course mates that went back to undertake HND programme after our 1 year IT program ended up as contract workers in new and old generation banks. It was at the second attempt I got admission into a Federal University, bagged a First Class Honours and presently doing great. I was the subject of ridicule for insisting that I must earn a University degree back then kiss
Covenant97:
Good day Nairalanders,

My name is Covenant Ajolore. A level 300 undergraduate student of Accounting in a Federal university in Nigeria.

My reason for writing is to seek advice as well as see others views as regard my current situation.

It dated back some years ago after the completion of my National diploma, graduated with distinction in accountancy from kaduna polytechnic at age 20. After that I went for my 1 year IT which I did in a bank while simultaneously applying for a DE into the university which I did not get twice(no thanks to unilorin) Two years wasted.

Unfortunately, I decide to change based and opt for a school in the North. given my grade and less competition, I got in and started from level 2 at which I was going to be 23 that year.

With high hopes and enthusiasm I thought I was going to complete my degree at age 25 and then had the chance to start a career in the big 4 (this was part of my plan) and hopefully start ICAN during service. But no thanks to Covid 19, and coupled with the current ASUU strike, it is now evident that it won’t be any way possible, and has thus aggravated my fears and stress level, due to the following effect it has on my plans/goals to be achieved.

1. i won’t be qualified for any graduate trainee job which criteria is a 2.1 and 26 years of age.(I am currently on a 4.40 CGPA and yet to write level 3 first semester exams and I am earnestly working towards graduating with a first class so the 2.1 criterion won’t be a hassle for me but the age factor would be).

2.All my course mate during my National diploma days in the polytechnic that has gone back for there HND are now graduates or currently serving.

Given my current predicaments what would be your next line of action or advice if you were to be in my shoes.

PS: The thought of writing ICAN exam is scaring the shit out of me and also life after school. I don’t know if this is common.

1 Like

Re: The Tales Of A Worried Undergraduate. by Creeknigga(m): 4:53pm On May 27, 2022
Vickho:
Mine I got admitted in 2017 to a federal university at 26, I was due to graduate in the 2020/2021 session at age 29 so I could be eligible to serve but the COVID-19/ASUU strike in 2020 and this current strike that started on February 14 has dampened my plans.

Didn't have a sponsor then so I had to hustle, I hustled for 3 years and the proceeds from the hustle was the capital I used to set up a business.
At 21 I learnt plumbing and few other skills for two years while managing my business, at 25 I now decided to sponsor myself in the University, got admitted the following year (26) and was doing well academically (2:1) before Nigerian Government under APC and ASUU engaged on a tussle that has so affected me.
Hello?
Its like 'you are me' from alternate universe o.
Same age(16) that I left high school, same year (2017)I gained admission, almost same age, facing the same predicament.
I even had to chat my course adviser up to tell her my problem and jokingly told her I wished ASUU will call off the strike for me to graduate and then they could continue there strike and she said I'm selfish, that she is disappointed in me. Can you imagine?
She doesn't know how depressed I've been for the past 2 months now.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Tales Of A Worried Undergraduate. by OvaSabi1(f): 4:54pm On May 27, 2022
Not all big 4 companies specify the age requirement in their job ads. You should do a Google search to know which one in particular, then target that firm. Also, some multinational companies as well as banks will pay you even more than some big 4 firms and they do not discriminate against age. When I say banks, I am not referring to marketing. There are banks that are looking for people to fill in core finance roles.
Please focus on passing your ican exam at once. Prepare in advance so that you can complete it just as your service year is ending. You need to read as if you are preparing to join Russian troops in Ukraine. I am a lecturer in a Nigerian University and I teach Accounting. I am confident that a student with your CGPA will do well in the labour market. Overthinking might cause more harm than good. Relax and take each day as it comes.

Again, you can decide to go into core fintech by learning a finance related programming language like python or R.

Again, ensure that you take your final year project seriously. Don't do plagiarism. Go and learn how to do research in Accounting from scratch. An original study can be published and can help you get a scholarship. Another thing is that when your lecturers know that you are good in research, they can help you get a job in academia. But this is risky because some lecturers can use sweet mouth to deceive students so that they can continue to use them.

Lastly, look for a hobby outside academics. Playing musical instruments, poetry, chess, football? Whatever. This can also help in scholarship applications especially if you hold leadership positions in any of these activities.

2 Likes

Re: The Tales Of A Worried Undergraduate. by Sukkyy2010: 4:57pm On May 27, 2022
I assumed your story headline says: you just finished your OND and you're seeking advice for what wise move you need to take up next, my advise for you would have been this as follow:

Get on the street hustle legitimately or get any available job with you OND, save up some fund to initiate a business from small scale, build the business to a significant level that guarantee you a stable financial avenue.

Then after all the guidelines mention above have generated you a stable source of income, then you apply for PT program in any university of your choice. This will open you to experience a stress free schooling with certained stable income no pressure you school as a big boy along side your stable income stream, by this you'll experience how easy and enjoyable is school in fact being emerges as a working class to your lecturals you need to see how lecturals will treat you very much better than being a full-time student.

Following this path your all this vital life uppermost( careers, business or job opportunity, degree and others) will fall in place along as you're ageing up.

I didn't wrote all this to condemned your chosen path or make you up any regression but to serve a token of advice for others whom theirs present situation required it so as to serve a wise move them.
Re: The Tales Of A Worried Undergraduate. by The5DME(m): 5:00pm On May 27, 2022
Cc Gerrard59
Re: The Tales Of A Worried Undergraduate. by 2braithe: 5:00pm On May 27, 2022
JooEeL:

But you fools will not know. Na una dey suppose dey call the original SIMPs. When your brains click into gear, you all will realise that the problem cuts deeper than just grades or strike. You'll realise Nigeria is your problem; Nigeria is that "village people" you all usually waste time praying against in church. If you are not ready to find ways to disintegrate the zoo, then we'll keep seeing more threads of lamentations as this. I saw one funny guy in another thread complaining about buying 5 mangoes for 500. Him never see anything. Una go begin count notes to buy 2 maggi. cool

You stated a problem which is Nigeria.But you didn't state any solution.

Should we all sit back at home and wait for a miraculous catapult to fire us abroad?
Should we ignore making good grades just because our counterparts abroad don't care about grades?
Should we desist from protesting and stop expressing our grievances towards the appropriate authorities?

Your write up is anything but complete.

1 Like

Re: The Tales Of A Worried Undergraduate. by IbekweTony17(m): 5:07pm On May 27, 2022
Johnchrix:
If you graduate from a university and you come out looking for someone to employ you, then you are one of the problems of this country. With the knowledge and enlightenment you've gained from school, you should be the one employing and empowering people.
There are several businesses one can start building now which requires little capital but with a potential for massive returns in the long run.

Ogaa make Una de calm down abegg

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Abia Polytechnic Sacks 258 Workers / What Tech Skill Can I Combine With Bricklaying? / Ask Me Any Question On Chartered Institute Of Purchasing And Supply (CIPS)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.