Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,527 members, 7,826,979 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 02:02 AM

Does Catalytic Converter Actually Reduces Fuel Consumption? - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Does Catalytic Converter Actually Reduces Fuel Consumption? (36413 Views)

Does Catalytic Converter Truly Reduces Fuel Consumption? Let's Discuss . . / Car Guzzling Fuel? You Might Need Replacing Your Car Catalytic Converter / Signs Of A Bad Catalytic Converter (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Does Catalytic Converter Actually Reduces Fuel Consumption? by Flipmac(m): 6:33am On May 28, 2022
It doesn't reduce fuel consumption but if is removed the fuel consumption will increase significantly.

This is a fact. I had a first hand experience with my Nissan Tiida.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does Catalytic Converter Actually Reduces Fuel Consumption? by alphaRego01(m): 6:34am On May 28, 2022
Talking of car,I don drive other people car tire buh I Neva get my own.BaBa God,show me

2 Likes

Re: Does Catalytic Converter Actually Reduces Fuel Consumption? by Unrated900(m): 6:35am On May 28, 2022
As part of a car's exhaust system, the catalytic converter helps to reduce air pollution. You will not harm your engine or your car in any way by driving without a catalytic converter. It's not always a good idea to drive around without one

It will not reduce fuel consumption
But would make your engine works perfectly okay
And keep away carbon monoxide as well.
Check the cars I posted for more update.

5 Likes

Re: Does Catalytic Converter Actually Reduces Fuel Consumption? by veekid(m): 6:35am On May 28, 2022

Re: Does Catalytic Converter Actually Reduces Fuel Consumption? by ikevictor: 6:36am On May 28, 2022
Dynamicboss:
Catalytic Combustion reduces carbomonoxide emission through redox reaction but DOESN'T reduce fuel consumption.

What reduces fuel consumption are; OEM standard for tyre air pressure, apply brake carefully, good 02 sensors, quality oil for engine maintenance, quality fuel, don't idle too long, don't throttle carelessly, When vehicle is on top speed, use AC,etc

Lalasticlala, mynd44, give this topic more views for discussion.

I love this. My mechanic made me believe that once my catalyst is gone, i go use my entire monthly income for fuel alone.

Chai! Why me!
Re: Does Catalytic Converter Actually Reduces Fuel Consumption? by Dynamicboss: 6:36am On May 28, 2022
flejnr2:

And that will make the fuel burn faster na

Babe, lol make I talk much. Research via Google and gain some knowledge about catalyst
Re: Does Catalytic Converter Actually Reduces Fuel Consumption? by Creamypie(m): 6:37am On May 28, 2022
Buharifan:
Car experts,

Please how true is this assertion?

a beg if u no know the use, lemme know, so I go come loose am take. That one in your car isn't less than 300k.... For average car oh.. The cheapest. Make ur mechanic or welder/panel beater remove am, u go know wassup for fuel matter
Re: Does Catalytic Converter Actually Reduces Fuel Consumption? by ikevictor: 6:38am On May 28, 2022
fydence:
I don sit down with paper and biro o

Please what reduces Fuel Consumption o

Lol...go buy fuel oga
Re: Does Catalytic Converter Actually Reduces Fuel Consumption? by fepihec574: 6:38am On May 28, 2022
Re: Does Catalytic Converter Actually Reduces Fuel Consumption? by ikevictor: 6:39am On May 28, 2022
kamez:
14yrs of driving, currently own 3 cars, and somehow I am just coming across the word catalytic converter!!!

So I thought to myself, How is this even possible.......I had to run to Google..

And realized that it's because I have never had issues with my exhaust in any of my cars..

Youre lucky
Re: Does Catalytic Converter Actually Reduces Fuel Consumption? by joyandfaith: 6:39am On May 28, 2022
Clonelord:
You need to find the street name of that catalytic converter else men no go know wetin you dey talk About
Indomie
Re: Does Catalytic Converter Actually Reduces Fuel Consumption? by iLoveYouToo(m): 6:40am On May 28, 2022
Dynamicboss:
Catalytic Combustion reduces carbomonoxide emission through redox reaction but DOESN'T reduce fuel consumption.

What reduces fuel consumption are; OEM standard for tyre air pressure, apply brake carefully, good 02 sensors, quality oil for engine maintenance, quality fuel, don't idle too long, don't throttle carelessly, When vehicle is on top speed, use AC,etc

You’re right but the absence of it creates a vacuum which is believed to increase combustion. How true?

1 Like

Re: Does Catalytic Converter Actually Reduces Fuel Consumption? by ClassicMan202(m): 6:41am On May 28, 2022
Clonelord:
You need to find the street name of that catalytic converter else men no go know wetin you dey talk About

I think he means Indomie

1 Like

Re: Does Catalytic Converter Actually Reduces Fuel Consumption? by breezeng: 6:42am On May 28, 2022
flejnr2:

And that will make the fuel burn faster na

I don't see any difference. Catalyst or no Catalyst. Its just fuel price has gone up drastically. So, everyone is feeling d effects.
Re: Does Catalytic Converter Actually Reduces Fuel Consumption? by BannedUser: 6:43am On May 28, 2022
The quality of O2 sensors is what determines your fuel consumption. O2 sensors of some cars work in tandem with the catalytic converter, so the accuracy of the O2 sensor for efficient combustion might be affected if the catalyst is removed. Some cars need to be reprogrammed again if their catalyst is removed.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does Catalytic Converter Actually Reduces Fuel Consumption? by DaddyFreeze2020(m): 6:43am On May 28, 2022
Buharifan:
Car experts,

GO AND CHECK YOUR CAR INDOMIE.

This will save you ✌️

A lot of car owners don’t have an idea what this is . The car catalyst popularly known as Indomie found in the exhaust is one of the stuffs mechanics and panel beaters remove from people’s car within the slightest blink , which makes your car consume a lot of fuel and have terrible sound and unfavorable emission discharge . They are stolen because they Contain precious metals such as platinum and Rhodium .

I recently gave this panel beater a direct Belgium car to fix the exhaust at arrival which i felt was leaking maybe due to the potholes from Lagos down to Abuja, after about 3 hours of waiting, the guy told me he was going to a nearby electric welding machine to fix it , since this were people I had known for awhile , I felt comfortable.

I kept calling , Panel beater said he was trying to ensure the work was done perfectly. Finally he came Back , I still realized the sound of my car was not as smooth as it should be , I complained , “ ah oga , naso the sound Dey be for this kind car “ he replied . I was still sure the sound was not good enough .

2 days latter , one of his colleagues who I was nice to stopped me as he entered my car and asked , OGA , you know say those boys comot your Indomie? They chock nets inside so that u no go know . with an assurance I said yes ,

they sold it 100k � I promised him I would keep his identity confidential but I must get to the root of my property. Guess what ? Once this Indomie is removed , it can’t be used anymore .

I swung into action and reported the case to the law enforcement agency that took this matter seriously and arrested the culprits , at this point , for me it was heart breaking to see young men handcuffed and embarrassed due to their greed ,but all I needed was a direct Belgium Indomie as replacement.

in less than 48hrs , I was called , the entire fellow mechanics ran up and down to raise 180,000 which is the cost of another one �� I got my Indomie back . Guess what ? This was the second time this guys were removing my indomie , they did it December on a different car , but I was not sure at what point it was stolen .

As a Good Samaritan , I pleaded the release of ogas as they might have learnt their lesson the hard way . Thank you to Inspector Sanusi, Inspector Joesph and the DPO for doing well.

Pls go and check you car Indomie now.
Shine your eyes !

Shine your eyes

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Does Catalytic Converter Actually Reduces Fuel Consumption? by Collins4u1(m): 6:43am On May 28, 2022
kamez:
14yrs of driving, currently own 3 cars, and somehow I am just coming across the word catalytic converter!!!

So I thought to myself, How is this even possible.......I had to run to Google..

And realized that it's because I have never had issues with my exhaust in any of my cars..

Your car might not even have one grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Does Catalytic Converter Actually Reduces Fuel Consumption? by breezeng: 6:45am On May 28, 2022
Me. I don't see any difference. Catalyst or no Catalyst. Its just because fuel price has gone up drastically. So everyone is feeling d effects.
Re: Does Catalytic Converter Actually Reduces Fuel Consumption? by DaddyFreeze2020(m): 6:45am On May 28, 2022
ClassicMan202:

I think he means Indomie

Yes. Car Indomie
Re: Does Catalytic Converter Actually Reduces Fuel Consumption? by iscom(m): 6:47am On May 28, 2022
I don't know sha
Re: Does Catalytic Converter Actually Reduces Fuel Consumption? by Engrkingsley(m): 6:48am On May 28, 2022
Yes it does..what a catalyst does is kinda reduce rhe air that leaves ur engine and increase the pressure in the engine and makes the car do less work to actually perform its function...by so doing the governor releasees less fuel fir the internal combustion system!!...wish i can exolaint more !!

2 Likes

Re: Does Catalytic Converter Actually Reduces Fuel Consumption? by phemmyfour: 6:48am On May 28, 2022
Buharifan:
Car experts,

it reduces fuel consumption and foul emission
Re: Does Catalytic Converter Actually Reduces Fuel Consumption? by Dynamicboss: 6:48am On May 28, 2022
iLoveYouToo:

You’re right but the absence of it creates a vacuum which is believed to increase combustion. How true?

The vehicle will not filter harmful emission such as hydrocarbon, nitrogen and carbonmonoxide gas. Fuel mixture and Combustion takes place inside the engine (cylinder, valve, etc)
Re: Does Catalytic Converter Actually Reduces Fuel Consumption? by Richy4(m): 6:51am On May 28, 2022
fydence:
I don sit down with paper and biro o

Please what reduces Fuel Consumption o
smiley
<< Don't drive too fast or too slow..
<<Plan your rush hour route carefully....'go slow' dey kill fuel
<<Keep the pressure of your tires pumped up and reduce stuffs in your boots
<< Finally, drive only when necessary cool

1 Like

Re: Does Catalytic Converter Actually Reduces Fuel Consumption? by Goldbw122(m): 6:54am On May 28, 2022
effect is your slightly different, you want to really know because the price of petrol is going up and down especially up
Re: Does Catalytic Converter Actually Reduces Fuel Consumption? by Chiderao1(m): 6:54am On May 28, 2022
Clonelord:
indomie grin
Re: Does Catalytic Converter Actually Reduces Fuel Consumption? by ini4brandon(m): 6:55am On May 28, 2022
The prof has spoken. QED
GAZZUZZ:
In most modern vehicles, when there is an engine or transmission malfunction , it displays the check engine light, this switches the vehicle from standard operating design, to one that limits power output and protects the engine or transmission from further damage that could result in continued use in that state.

You would notice things like

check 4WD

Traction off

VSC OFF

And so on.

In certain circumstances the engine would be limited to revs below 3000 rotations per sec.

Irrespective of the presence or absence of a catalyst, an engine or transmission code will cause a vehicle to run less optimally which in turn would mean the vehicle consume more than it should.

Avoid errors on your vehicle at all costs.

You can also check this thread to acquire more knowledge about devices that help detect errors.

https://www.nairaland.com/6885954/xtool-advance-ad10-auto-car

You can also check this link if your car does not have a catalyst.

https://www.nairaland.com/6280487/catalytic-converter-problems-cheap-solution#96462231

Finally you can follow this link for smart devices .

https://www.nairaland.com/7147283/smart-devices-hottiecoach

Re: Does Catalytic Converter Actually Reduces Fuel Consumption? by Daveric28: 6:55am On May 28, 2022
Well... Catalyst doesn't reduces fuel consumptions in anyway.. Its converter that convert carbon monoxide to less hazardous substance..
Re: Does Catalytic Converter Actually Reduces Fuel Consumption? by uchman46(m): 6:55am On May 28, 2022
Clonelord:
Indomie
Re: Does Catalytic Converter Actually Reduces Fuel Consumption? by phemmyfour: 6:55am On May 28, 2022
Dynamicboss:
Catalytic Converter reduces carbomonoxide emission through redox reaction but DOESN'T reduce fuel consumption.

What reduces fuel consumption are; OEM standard for tyre air pressure, apply brake carefully, good 02 sensors, quality oil for engine maintenance, quality fuel, don't idle too long, don't throttle carelessly, When vehicle is on top speed, use AC. Etc...

­Sometimes you can tell that a converter is clogged because you don't go any faster when you push the gas pedal. Also, there usually is a noticeable drop in gas mileage associated with a clogged catalytic converter. A partially clogged converter often acts like an engine governor, limiting the actual RPMs to a fast idle. A totally clogged converter causes the engine to quit after a few minutes because of all the increased exhaust back pressure.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

What"s The Meaning Of CE, VE, LE / Reasons Why Spare Tyres Are Smaller Than The Normal Tyres / What Makes A Car Bounce?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.