Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,409 members, 7,815,903 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:37 PM

The American Dream: A Mirage; Only Racism, Poverty & Gun Violence Are Realities - Travel (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / The American Dream: A Mirage; Only Racism, Poverty & Gun Violence Are Realities (36128 Views)

AMERICAN Dream Is A Mirage, Only Racism, Poverty-nigerian Asylum Seeker, Ajibola / Nigerian Girl In Russia Talks About Life In Russia, Racism And What Life Is Like / Is Canadian Dream A Mirage? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The American Dream: A Mirage; Only Racism, Poverty & Gun Violence Are Realities by dasparrow: 6:45pm On May 30, 2022

1 Like

Re: The American Dream: A Mirage; Only Racism, Poverty & Gun Violence Are Realities by dasparrow: 6:47pm On May 30, 2022
Re: The American Dream: A Mirage; Only Racism, Poverty & Gun Violence Are Realities by Bwaal(m): 6:47pm On May 30, 2022
Dey come home abeg
Re: The American Dream: A Mirage; Only Racism, Poverty & Gun Violence Are Realities by dasparrow: 6:48pm On May 30, 2022
Re: The American Dream: A Mirage; Only Racism, Poverty & Gun Violence Are Realities by dasparrow: 6:49pm On May 30, 2022
Re: The American Dream: A Mirage; Only Racism, Poverty & Gun Violence Are Realities by sukkot: 6:49pm On May 30, 2022
aragonchuks:
lol like the guy that said he need only $30k to survive.. lol that’s just six months rent/mortgage .. lol either him just come America or he is living in America in his head
some of these people are under some weird type of delusion but i understand it because there have always been people like this in all generations. people who have never traveled abroad but believe they know more than everyone about the life abroad

1 Like

Re: The American Dream: A Mirage; Only Racism, Poverty & Gun Violence Are Realities by aragonchuks(m): 7:00pm On May 30, 2022
sukkot:
some of these people are under some weird type of delusion but i understand it because there have always been people like this in all generations. people who have never traveled abroad but believe they know more than everyone about the life abroad
lol facts

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The American Dream: A Mirage; Only Racism, Poverty & Gun Violence Are Realities by BigIyanga: 7:05pm On May 30, 2022
sukkot:
legal or illegal , makes no difference chicago is messed up
If you hustle, you make $$. You can go to community college as illegal or non illgal.. and transfer credit to 4 year college when ur status change is approved.
Only about 3-4 zip codes generate most of the gun crimes,

Per gun violence in the US, Chicago is not in tje top most 10 violent crime cities.

https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/pictures/murder-map-deadliest-u-s-cities/

1 Like

Re: The American Dream: A Mirage; Only Racism, Poverty & Gun Violence Are Realities by BigIyanga: 7:11pm On May 30, 2022
SARSCoV2:

South Chicago is a poverty, gang and car jacking enclave. Its summer already and all hell will be let lose. Very few sane people reside in hat axis.

No single week passes without someone being shot to death.

This week alone

Brandon Foley
Bruce O`Neal
Rashaun Johnson
Fred Boerma
Anthony Allen
Antonio Wade

All shot to death

And more people will be shot to death this week. Its a constant.
Nah, mostly englewood area.
Hyde park, Kenwood, Bronzeville, Chatham, Evergreen, Morgan Park all on South sidd.
Chicago is not in the top 10 most violent cities in the states.. check the stats

Re: The American Dream: A Mirage; Only Racism, Poverty & Gun Violence Are Realities by positive11: 7:12pm On May 30, 2022
if I talk about my own country dem fit to charge me for hate speech so i remain quiet oooo

1 Like

Re: The American Dream: A Mirage; Only Racism, Poverty & Gun Violence Are Realities by sukkot: 7:13pm On May 30, 2022
BigIyanga:

If you hustle, you make $$. You can go to community college as illegal or non illgal.. and transfer credit to 4 year college when ur status change is approved.
Only about 3-4 zip codes generate most of the gun crimes,

Per gun violence in the US, Chicago is not in tje top most 10 violent crime cities.

when i say chicago is messed up i am talking about a myriad of factors

1- too cold in winter and yo have to shovel your car out of 12 inches of snow every morning. try shovelling out of caked up hardened snow its impossible. its a nightmare

2-parking spot is almost impossible to find

3-too hot in summer. over 100 degrees

4- corrupt cops who have a quota of how many tickets they are supposed to give out daily to make revenue for the city so they always targeting minorities

5---extremely segregated. greek town little italy etc etc

6--gun crime is crazy

7- taxation is crazy

8-gang culture is crazy VICE LORDS -LATIN KINGS ETC ETC

etc etc

1 Like

Re: The American Dream: A Mirage; Only Racism, Poverty & Gun Violence Are Realities by TWoods(m): 7:24pm On May 30, 2022

“America is believed to be the land of opportunities, but America makes those opportunities very difficult to access for people who are not born into privilege. The American Dream narrative of "go to school, get good grades, apply for scholarships, and better yourself" is not that easy in an underfunded community where people don’t have access to basic amenities.

The main issue here is simple. You’re an asylum seeker, so yes certain opportunities are not open to you. The American dream is often misinterpreted to mean it is applicable to everyone. That’s not the case, you have to be a US resident or citizen.

2 Likes

Re: The American Dream: A Mirage; Only Racism, Poverty & Gun Violence Are Realities by TWoods(m): 7:29pm On May 30, 2022
sukkot:
when i say chicago is messed up i am talking about a myriad of factors

1- too cold in winter and yo have to shovel your car out of 12 inches of snow every morning. try shovelling out of caked up hardened snow its impossible. its a nightmare

2-parking spot is almost impossible to find

3-too hot in summer. over 100 degrees

4- corrupt cops who have a quota of how many tickets they are supposed to give out daily to make revenue for the city so they always targeting minorities

5---extremely segregated. greek town little italy etc etc

6--gun crime is crazy

7- taxation is crazy

8-gang culture is crazy VICE LORDS -LATIN KINGS ETC ETC

etc etc

There are certainly issues with south side Chicago, but most of what you have up here isn’t it…

1. Rochester MN is far colder…
2. Parking spots are harder to find in NYC
3. Check Texas or Arizona.
4. There are areas in MO where it is worse. Cops are corrupt everywhere
5. We’ll try places in Michigan or Vermont. Many of these states are almost 80% white. Houston Texas and NYC have similar “segregated” communities.
6. Yep, that’s your problem right there. Talk to Indiana.
7. It isn’t, taxes are higher in NYC and California
8. That’s your problem right there
Re: The American Dream: A Mirage; Only Racism, Poverty & Gun Violence Are Realities by sukkot: 7:36pm On May 30, 2022
TWoods:

There are certainly issues with south side Chicago, but most of what you have up here isn’t it…

1. Rochester MN is far colder…
2. Parking spots are harder to find in NYC
3. Check Texas or Arizona.
4. There are areas in MO where it is worse. Cops are corrupt everywhere
5. We’ll try places in Michigan or Vermont. Many of these states are almost 80% white. Houston Texas and NYC have similar “segregated” communities.
6. Yep, that’s your problem right there. Talk to Indiana.
7. It isn’t, taxes are higher in NYC and California
8. That’s your problem right there
first of all we talking about the whole chicago not just south side

and whats the point mentioning all these places ? as if somehow that diminishes that all these thiings are problems in chicago. many are running down south to southern states because of these problems i have mentioned.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The American Dream: A Mirage; Only Racism, Poverty & Gun Violence Are Realities by GloriousGbola: 7:36pm On May 30, 2022
Re: The American Dream: A Mirage; Only Racism, Poverty & Gun Violence Are Realities by TWoods(m): 7:41pm On May 30, 2022
sukkot:

and whats the point mentioning all these places ? as if somehow that diminishes that all these thiings are problems in chicago. many are running down south to southern states because of these problems i have mentioned.

The problem with south side Chicago is simple - guns, crime and let’s face it… mostly minorities live there. It is not a reflection of America as a whole. I point to the other issues to show that they are not the reason Chicago is the way it is… the weather is worse elsewhere and yet they aren’t shooting themselves all day.
Re: The American Dream: A Mirage; Only Racism, Poverty & Gun Violence Are Realities by sukkot: 7:49pm On May 30, 2022
TWoods:

The problem with south side Chicago is simple - guns, crime and let’s face it… mostly minorities live there. It is not a reflection of America as a whole. I point to the other issues to show that they are not the reason Chicago is the way it is… the weather is worse elsewhere and yet they aren’t shooting themselves all day.
bro the topic is about chicago. nobody is talking about america as a whole. try to stay focused grin

or at least my focus is about chicago

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The American Dream: A Mirage; Only Racism, Poverty & Gun Violence Are Realities by BigIyanga: 7:53pm On May 30, 2022
sukkot:

Southern states like GA and SC are worse than IL.
ATL has the widest income gap btw rich and poor. Minimum wage in GA is $5.5/hr.
GA residents have one of the shi...tiest credit score.
As per cold, New England and Canada are colder.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The American Dream: A Mirage; Only Racism, Poverty & Gun Violence Are Realities by TWoods(m): 7:54pm On May 30, 2022
sukkot:
bro the topic is about chicago. nobody is talking about america as a whole. try to stay focused grin

Chicago as a whole isn’t the problem, south Chicago is. Been to Chicago several times and have family friends who live there… we must be talking of 2 Chicagos. As I said, 8 of the 10 things you listed are par for the course in several other big cities… nothing special
Re: The American Dream: A Mirage; Only Racism, Poverty & Gun Violence Are Realities by sukkot: 7:56pm On May 30, 2022
TWoods:

Chicago as a whole isn’t the problem, south Chicago is. Been to Chicago several times and have family friends who live there… we must be talking of 2 Chicagos. As I said, 8 of the 10 things you listed are par for the course in several other big cities… nothing special
nothing special for you but people with children dont wanna raise their chldren or start a family in chicago
Re: The American Dream: A Mirage; Only Racism, Poverty & Gun Violence Are Realities by sukkot: 7:58pm On May 30, 2022
BigIyanga:

Southern states like GA and SC are worse than IL.
ATL has the widest income gap btw rich and poor. Minimum wage in GA is $5.5/hr.
GA residents have one of the shi...tiest credit score.
As per cold, New England and Canada are colder.
but is the city run by gangstas like chicago ? is it run like the mob ? corruption etc. heck the mayor of chicago blagjoyevich was just released from prison

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The American Dream: A Mirage; Only Racism, Poverty & Gun Violence Are Realities by BigIyanga: 7:58pm On May 30, 2022
sukkot:

You’re missing the point.
Chicago is the best place for illegals like OP. Cook county health would provide medical treatment without asking questions.
Most southeren states would not.
IL will give u drivers license/ID without asking ur immigration status. Most southern states would require to bring hard of copy ur SSN.
Pls Chicago is a really sanctuary for immigrants..

1 Like

Re: The American Dream: A Mirage; Only Racism, Poverty & Gun Violence Are Realities by sukkot: 8:01pm On May 30, 2022
BigIyanga:

You’re missing the point.
Chicago is the best place for illegals like OP. Cook county health would provide medical treatment without asking questions.
Most southeren states would not.
IL will give u drivers license/ID without asking ur immigration status. Most southern states would require to bring hard of copy ur SSN.
Pls Chicago is a really sanctuary for immigrants..
i know all that but i am not talking about illegals. i am just talking about chicago generally and why most LEGAL indigenes are running away from it

2 Likes

Re: The American Dream: A Mirage; Only Racism, Poverty & Gun Violence Are Realities by Wwwq: 8:03pm On May 30, 2022
Lies

Hardwork can make you a millionaire in a year

1 Like

Re: The American Dream: A Mirage; Only Racism, Poverty & Gun Violence Are Realities by BigIyanga: 8:08pm On May 30, 2022
sukkot:
but is the city run by gangstas like chicago ? is it run like the mob ? corruption etc. heck the mayor of chicago blagjoyevich was just released from prison
Talking like a typical outsider. Blagjoyrvich has never been the mayor of Chicago. No Chicago
Mayor has been indicted in the last 30yrs. Stop watching too much Faux News

1 Like

Re: The American Dream: A Mirage; Only Racism, Poverty & Gun Violence Are Realities by BigIyanga: 8:10pm On May 30, 2022
sukkot:
i know all that but i am not talking about illegals. i am just talking about chicago generally and why most LEGAL indigenes are running away from it
This post is about Naija immigrants surviving in Chicago as illegals

1 Like

Re: The American Dream: A Mirage; Only Racism, Poverty & Gun Violence Are Realities by sukkot: 8:11pm On May 30, 2022
BigIyanga:

Talking like a typical outsider. Blagjoyrvich has never been the mayor of Chicago. No Chicago
Mayor has been indicted in the last 30yrs. Stop watching too much Faux News

https://archives.fbi.gov/archives/chicago/press-releases/2011/former-illinois-governor-rod-r.-blagojevich-sentenced-to-14-years-in-prison-for-corruption-in-office

governor / mayor ... you get the point
Re: The American Dream: A Mirage; Only Racism, Poverty & Gun Violence Are Realities by BigIyanga: 8:11pm On May 30, 2022
TWoods:

Thank you.
Re: The American Dream: A Mirage; Only Racism, Poverty & Gun Violence Are Realities by sukkot: 8:12pm On May 30, 2022
BigIyanga:

This post is about Naija immigrants surviving in Chicago as illegals
its digressed and fleshed out from there
Re: The American Dream: A Mirage; Only Racism, Poverty & Gun Violence Are Realities by BigIyanga: 8:13pm On May 30, 2022
sukkot:

https://archives.fbi.gov/archives/chicago/press-releases/2011/former-illinois-governor-rod-r.-blagojevich-sentenced-to-14-years-in-prison-for-corruption-in-office
Did you read what you posted? Where in the artickle did it mention that Blagohevich was mayor of Chicago... you’re clearly an outsider

1 Like

Re: The American Dream: A Mirage; Only Racism, Poverty & Gun Violence Are Realities by AlphaTaikun: 8:14pm On May 30, 2022
Ishilove:
A Nigerian lady, Ajibola Elisabeth Junaid from Oyo State narrates how she migrated with her family members to the United States in search of greener pastures. Her family settled in Chicago, as they were all asylum seekers. It did not take long for her to discover that hardly does the American dream exist for minorities or people of colour.

She described America as a reality of racism, poverty, food insecurity and gun violence.

She is a senior student at Wendell Phillips Academy High School.

Her narration below:

https://nigeriastandardnewspaper.com/ng/true-life-story-american-dream-is-a-mirage-struggle-only-racism-poverty-food-insecurity-gun-violence-are-realities-ajibola-elizabeth-junaid-a-nigerian-asylum-seeker-in-chicago-narrates-experien/

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply)

Finland Japa / Move To Australia Or Canada / Abuja Airport Closure: Calibration Helicopter To Be Used In Kaduna Airport (Pic)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.