Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,034 members, 7,821,573 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 03:12 PM

The American Dream: A Mirage; Only Racism, Poverty & Gun Violence Are Realities - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / The American Dream: A Mirage; Only Racism, Poverty & Gun Violence Are Realities (36195 Views)

AMERICAN Dream Is A Mirage, Only Racism, Poverty-nigerian Asylum Seeker, Ajibola / Nigerian Girl In Russia Talks About Life In Russia, Racism And What Life Is Like / Is Canadian Dream A Mirage? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The American Dream: A Mirage; Only Racism, Poverty & Gun Violence Are Realities by Amalekki: 1:51pm On May 30, 2022
jonnyjustcome22:

Why are u far from the real situation. You came to a civilised country without necessary document and you expect to live like a king. Nigerian are funny people
Don't mind them. Inside Nigeria, how many of them care about the lives of the immigrants within our societies or people want to pretend that we don't have immigrants in Nigeria? Then we move abroad and start claiming rights grin

2 Likes

Re: The American Dream: A Mirage; Only Racism, Poverty & Gun Violence Are Realities by Pitre07: 1:52pm On May 30, 2022
smiley
Re: The American Dream: A Mirage; Only Racism, Poverty & Gun Violence Are Realities by busomma: 1:52pm On May 30, 2022
MadamVanessa:
shocked

Mtcheeewww...tell her now to come back to Nigeria, and see her shake her head in refusal immediately.

She should stop talking nonsense and complaining. If she finds life there so unbearable she should relocate back to her paradise Nigeria.

A lot of people would do everything to be in her position. It's better to suffer in a country you're not a citizen than to suffer in a country you're a bonafide citizen, which many Nigerians are currently experiencing in this shithole.
U're so ignorant to the point of idiocy. U think u got it made just being in America? People like u fall by the wayside & turn beggars in a street corner cos of overrated mindset of what America is all about.

Re: The American Dream: A Mirage; Only Racism, Poverty & Gun Violence Are Realities by SIRTee15: 1:53pm On May 30, 2022
Ajibola don't be consumed by negativity or despair. America is a country that rewards hard work and intelligence.
Focus on yourself. Go to college, major in STEM. Stay away from crime, baby mama syndrome and drugs. Choose your friends wisely.
Trust me, you will never regret it.
I know people who attended local secondary schools and uni here in naija, but today controls over 100 thousand dollar in income per year.
Be wise.

6 Likes

Re: The American Dream: A Mirage; Only Racism, Poverty & Gun Violence Are Realities by Streetmovement(m): 1:53pm On May 30, 2022
Wotoporiously cool speaking

Omo everybody thier own kasala, At it been I had listened to people trying to discourage me on the places I had travelled to I don't think I would have gathered the knowledge or gain the things I enjoy today.

If he no work for you no mean say he no go work for another person, make una try dey calm down with generallizing everything.

It's getting old.

3 Likes

Re: The American Dream: A Mirage; Only Racism, Poverty & Gun Violence Are Realities by mickyeddi(m): 1:54pm On May 30, 2022
Artiiclebeast:
Abeg make una no listen to all these nonsense oh..

America na God's own country truly truly if you get the right info and know your way.

If na only the gun violence, I go manage am like that dey careful where I dey enter and the kind neighbourhood wey I go stay.

I start one thread for my profile like that to talk about this same issue.

Abeg, anybody wey get legit way to jakpa come America, you better take am oh...

Sweet and blessed country.

I dey come to write more..make I drive reach work first.

America is one cesspit of crazy people running around with guns. You are better off going to Canada or any of the Scandinavian countries. Easiest route is to go there as a student but very expensive. After your studies, you can start your path to citizenship...

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The American Dream: A Mirage; Only Racism, Poverty & Gun Violence Are Realities by kunle75(m): 1:54pm On May 30, 2022
delzbaba:
you comot for oyo come go settle for chicago south side? you no see better place like pensylvania or maryland go? dem never shoot ur yansh.

Its not that easy, the OP was a teenager at a time and hence can't decide where to stay when arriving here.
Moreso,people who migrate tends to first arrive at where they have relatives in most cases,maybe that's there own case which i guess.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The American Dream: A Mirage; Only Racism, Poverty & Gun Violence Are Realities by advanceDNA: 1:55pm On May 30, 2022
Wait...how can you and your family enjoy the asylum program of a country..become citizens and still be badmouthing the country, yet you ddnt vex and come to your ibadan....

This is witchcraft

9 Likes

Re: The American Dream: A Mirage; Only Racism, Poverty & Gun Violence Are Realities by vickin407(m): 1:57pm On May 30, 2022
I do enjoy your story .. surely no whee like heaven in the western world so they always try to portray it to te masses . No were like home if the leaders surely take time to look after it’s own people .

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The American Dream: A Mirage; Only Racism, Poverty & Gun Violence Are Realities by Elidrisy20: 1:57pm On May 30, 2022
Still better than life in naija, the Oyo you left,is worse than how you left it

2 Likes

Re: The American Dream: A Mirage; Only Racism, Poverty & Gun Violence Are Realities by pansophist(m): 1:58pm On May 30, 2022
If you have a choice between the US and any other developed country, then don't go to the US. It's a shit hole country in the league of developed societies. But if your alternative to Nigeria is the US only, then go to the US.

I can understand why people in Nigeria will say you should come back if you don't like it, well, the US is still better than Nigeria, but it still didn't change the fact that it's a very damaged society. If you think those zombies dancing with Michael Jackson in his music titled ''thriller'' are fiction, then you probably haven't been to the US.

A place where drug addicts, homeless folks, and extraordinarily fat mofo are walking and shitting on the streets with tents that stretch for miles upon eyes than the eyes can see. A country that is so wealthy than the whole twenty-seven EU countries combined, also have less than half EU's population, but the kind of poverty, citizens' debt, and infrastructural decay you see in the US makes you angry, asking yourself, what the hell I'm I doing here?

You will see so many HOT (homeless, obese, toothless) people, some so fat on riding on a scooter because they can walk, but munching a huge bucket of KFC chicken with a huge bottle of soda. The US government spends close to a trillion USD in war yearly, money it could have used to benefit the life of the average Americans. If you must go to North America, better go to Canada, or better still, go to Europe. Europe is far better.

15 Likes

Re: The American Dream: A Mirage; Only Racism, Poverty & Gun Violence Are Realities by happney65: 1:58pm On May 30, 2022
You comot from lovely Ibadan go live for the south side of Chicago. You no see better place live for Yankee
Obama wey come from there sef know say na poverty, crime,drugs and violence boku for there

1 Like

Re: The American Dream: A Mirage; Only Racism, Poverty & Gun Violence Are Realities by Royalty83(m): 1:58pm On May 30, 2022
delzbaba:
you comot for oyo come go settle for chicago south side? you no see better place like pensylvania or maryland go? dem never shoot ur yansh.

Englewood for that matter. She for even go O'block

2 Likes

Re: The American Dream: A Mirage; Only Racism, Poverty & Gun Violence Are Realities by Ishilove: 1:58pm On May 30, 2022
OhBritannia:
Dear ishilove
Of all the topics you could have came up with, you chooses this one that has to do with giving you comfort due to the fact that you think that the united states of America is a place that may be out of your reach for life or atleast for a very long time until a miracle happens to you.
Indeed misery loves company.

America is more than Chicago, It's there are more than 46 states in America and you can't choose one to judge all.
So stop this your negative approach about America and when you begin to look at the Many opportunities abound then maybe a God giving opportunity will be giving to you.

And by the way, America is a country that gives you your dream life if you have a talent.
You can't be talentless and you expect America to turn you to dangote.
Nonsense!!!!
Quit ranting and spewing spit everywhere. There is a reason we put source links in the OP, and that is so that people with comprehension problems like you can refer to them.
Re: The American Dream: A Mirage; Only Racism, Poverty & Gun Violence Are Realities by Amalekki: 1:58pm On May 30, 2022
SIRTee15:
Ajibola don't be consumed by negativity or despair. America is a country that rewards hard work and intelligence.
Focus on yourself. Go to college, major in STEM. Stay away from crime, baby mama syndrome and drugs. Choose your friends wisely.
Trust me, you will never regret it.
I know people who attended local secondary schools and uni here in naija, but today controls over 100 thousand dollar in income per year.
Be wise.
Thank you, this is the summary of America that most of them don't realize.

It's a system that expects you to do your part and be rewarded. Everything is there for you but no one will spoon feed you on what you have at your disposal, unless you are lucky with good people to guide you. America will reward your hard work, and it doesn't happen in a day. It takes time but you will always get there if you focus on the right path.

2 Likes

Re: The American Dream: A Mirage; Only Racism, Poverty & Gun Violence Are Realities by BabaAgba79(m): 1:58pm On May 30, 2022
[quote author=Ishilove post=113308654][/quote]

Elizabeth, no country in the world is safe. Only that many of the worst countries are better than Nigeria! Nigeria is a death trap! I know you cannot come back here again. Your suffering over there is enjoyment for a lot of people here. No matter how bad ur experience is in America, many Nigerian people are still coming to have a taste! Seeing is believing!

3 Likes

Re: The American Dream: A Mirage; Only Racism, Poverty & Gun Violence Are Realities by Nobody: 1:59pm On May 30, 2022
The American dream exists, you just haven't figured it out.. Tell that to Musk

4 Likes

Re: The American Dream: A Mirage; Only Racism, Poverty & Gun Violence Are Realities by Folorunsho15: 1:59pm On May 30, 2022
IPIGMODS:
35 years of living in the US, I have never feared for my safety as much as I do now.
Some of you don't want to hear this but I feel safer whenever I'm back in Lagos than I do here.
Every American major cities have become so dangerous that you have to think about where you are going and fo what purpose.
I generally avoid any unnecessary trips outside of my house.
Coming to Naija soon and I'm looking forward to it like a child going to Disney world.
That's the American reality.

There's no place like home brother, we'll welcome you with open arms. I've always said if you're okay financially and comfortably take care of yourself and your family, you probably don't have any reason to want to leave honestly. For me, I hustle for my daily bread and naija gives me nothing but I've never thought about leaving for once. I love it here and feel safe here with my family and I'm living a comfy life

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: The American Dream: A Mirage; Only Racism, Poverty & Gun Violence Are Realities by gambojimeta: 1:59pm On May 30, 2022
mickyeddi:

America is one cesspit of crazy people running around with guns. You are better off going to Canada or any of the Scandinavian countries. Easiest route is to go there as a student but very expensive. After your studies, you can start your path to citizenship...
Lots of Canadians immigrate (legally) to the US every year too.
This girls problem was compounded by the fact that they were asylum seekers and also moved to a ghetto.

5 Likes

Re: The American Dream: A Mirage; Only Racism, Poverty & Gun Violence Are Realities by azpekuliar: 2:00pm On May 30, 2022
Dawn91:
HERE WE GO

A THREAD FOR THOSE DENIED AMERICAN VISA

A THREAD FOR THOSE WHO HABE BEEM LIVING ILLEGALLY AND WHEN DEPORTED FINALY IPEN THREADS LIKE THIS

A THREAD FOR THISE EHO CAN NEVER AFFIED TO TRAVEL OUT.

They want to come and tell us how bad racism is, as if the tribalism I face for being an Edo Christian isn't worse. Ask the Ibo let them tell you what levels of tribalism ,hatred and marginalisation they gave from Yoruba and Hausa!

They want to tell us how bad gun violence is in America yet here in Nigeria over a hundred citizens are killed daily across Nigeria. At least in America they capture all violence .. in my Edo state I know how many cultists fall each other dialy but it's no longer news and you want to come and tell me about gun violence in AMERICA ? GO TO port Harcourt and see how many of themselves they kill daily over Bunkering, cultism, drugs, , yahoo, clout etc , go to the North let the Northern Christians tells you how they ar evening wiped from the face of the earth and this dolt wants to tell me about gun violence In America.

What is good about Nigeria ? Name.one thing... Only idiot will follow bitter deported depressed people who tell you AMERICA IS NOT GOOD. Tell them to stay here on Nigeria and leave you alone .

They tell you dreams font come through in America yet dreams for first in Nigeria

I have never seen a more dleuded saddistic narcissistic race than Nigerians deported or too poor to travel to America!! They hate the land of the free so much and it's their problem.

See I have lived in America from the projects in three kings in Brooklyn to the splendor or Dade country Miami. Words cannot ever describe what it means to live in America..m it's is paradise on earth . Don't follow these saddists who mostly travkled without papers or while there couldn't discipline themselves enough to be faithful to their partner until they get their papers ...

These people are sent by satan to kill your morale .. If you can japa do it... Get out, run , Nigeria is cursed... Run far and America is the easiest country on earth to go from nobody to somebody.

Just be smart ,honest, hard working and focused. Alot of Nigerians are their romaing the hoods jobless and refuse to return, they join gangs and enter the gang life because that's where easy money is but that's also where they waste away for ever.

When you see threads like this just ignore them, they are trash sponsored by hate and bitterness...

Whomin their right mind compares America to Nigeria,?! compare Nigeria with her Mayes like Ghana, Rwanda, Kenya! These 3 countries are far better than Nigeria...

Dig deep and find a deported visa rejected saddist grin

I actually liked this post. You can make sense when you’re not recycling junk in the name of blogging.

1 Like

Re: The American Dream: A Mirage; Only Racism, Poverty & Gun Violence Are Realities by lomprico(m): 2:01pm On May 30, 2022
Rubbish!

Come back to Nigeria na.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The American Dream: A Mirage; Only Racism, Poverty & Gun Violence Are Realities by maasoap(m): 2:01pm On May 30, 2022
Dawn91:
HERE WE GO

A THREAD FOR THOSE DENIED AMERICAN VISA

A THREAD FOR THOSE WHO HABE BEEM LIVING ILLEGALLY AND WHEN DEPORTED FINALY IPEN THREADS LIKE THIS

A THREAD FOR THISE EHO CAN NEVER AFFIED TO TRAVEL OUT.

They want to come and tell us how bad racism is, as if the tribalism I face for being an Edo Christian isn't worse. Ask the Ibo let them tell you what levels of tribalism ,hatred and marginalisation they gave from Yoruba and Hausa!

They want to tell us how bad gun violence is in America yet here in Nigeria over a hundred citizens are killed daily across Nigeria. At least in America they capture all violence .. in my Edo state I know how many cultists fall each other dialy but it's no longer news and you want to come and tell me about gun violence in AMERICA ? GO TO port Harcourt and see how many of themselves they kill daily over Bunkering, cultism, drugs, , yahoo, clout etc , go to the North let the Northern Christians tells you how they ar evening wiped from the face of the earth and this dolt wants to tell me about gun violence In America.

What is good about Nigeria ? Name.one thing... Only idiot will follow bitter deported depressed people who tell you AMERICA IS NOT GOOD. Tell them to stay here on Nigeria and leave you alone .

They tell you dreams font come through in America yet dreams for first in Nigeria

I have never seen a more dleuded saddistic narcissistic race than Nigerians deported or too poor to travel to America!! They hate the land of the free so much and it's their problem.

See I have lived in America from the projects in three kings in Brooklyn to the splendor or Dade country Miami. Words cannot ever describe what it means to live in America..m it's is paradise on earth . Don't follow these saddists who mostly travkled without papers or while there couldn't discipline themselves enough to be faithful to their partner until they get their papers ...

These people are sent by satan to kill your morale .. If you can japa do it... Get out, run , Nigeria is cursed... Run far and America is the easiest country on earth to go from nobody to somebody.

Just be smart ,honest, hard working and focused. Alot of Nigerians are their romaing the hoods jobless and refuse to return, they join gangs and enter the gang life because that's where easy money is but that's also where they waste away for ever.

When you see threads like this just ignore them, they are trash sponsored by hate and bitterness...

Whomin their right mind compares America to Nigeria,?! compare Nigeria with her Mayes like Ghana, Rwanda, Kenya! These 3 countries are far better than Nigeria...

Dig deep and find a deported visa rejected saddist grin

Too much trash
Re: The American Dream: A Mirage; Only Racism, Poverty & Gun Violence Are Realities by TOPCRUISE(m): 2:02pm On May 30, 2022
Will she return If Nigeria Airways offer her free ticket back to Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: The American Dream: A Mirage; Only Racism, Poverty & Gun Violence Are Realities by Nonexisting: 2:02pm On May 30, 2022
This country too sweet abeg, I can't go and kill myself. This is how people should dress to collect USA visa now.

1 Like

Re: The American Dream: A Mirage; Only Racism, Poverty & Gun Violence Are Realities by usagee36: 2:03pm On May 30, 2022
If you guys were documented, you will live a better life. Stop misleading people.
Ishilove:
A Nigerian lady, Ajibola Elisabeth Junaid from Oyo State narrates how she migrated with her family members to the United States in search of greener pastures. Her family settled in Chicago, as they were all asylum seekers. It did not take long for her to discover that hardly does the American dream exist for minorities or people of colour.

She described America as a reality of racism, poverty, food insecurity and gun violence.

She is a senior student at Wendell Phillips Academy High School.

Her narration below:

https://nigeriastandardnewspaper.com/ng/true-life-story-american-dream-is-a-mirage-struggle-only-racism-poverty-food-insecurity-gun-violence-are-realities-ajibola-elizabeth-junaid-a-nigerian-asylum-seeker-in-chicago-narrates-experien/
Re: The American Dream: A Mirage; Only Racism, Poverty & Gun Violence Are Realities by PeachtreeReside(f): 2:03pm On May 30, 2022
IPIGMODS:
35 years of living in the US, I have never feared for my safety as much as I do now.
Some of you don't want to hear this but I feel safer whenever I'm back in Lagos than I do here.
Every American major cities have become so dangerous that you have to think about where you are going and fo what purpose.
I generally avoid any unnecessary trips outside of my house.
Coming to Naija soon and I'm looking forward to it like a child going to Disney world.
That's the American reality.

Only one who has lived in the US will understand your fears.

I shake my head at the ignorant response I have been reading.

Hugs to you and God keep on keeping you and yours.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: The American Dream: A Mirage; Only Racism, Poverty & Gun Violence Are Realities by Folorunsho15: 2:04pm On May 30, 2022
Elidrisy20:
Still better than life in naija, the Oyo you left,is worse than how you left it

What do you mean by oyo is worse, stop talking nonsense. I live in Ibadan and I'm enjoying myself

1 Like

Re: The American Dream: A Mirage; Only Racism, Poverty & Gun Violence Are Realities by Amalekki: 2:04pm On May 30, 2022
gambojimeta:

Lots of Canadians immigrate (legally) to the US every year too.
This girls problem was compounded by the fact that they were asylum seekers and also moved to a ghetto.
Another fact lost on many.

1 Like

Re: The American Dream: A Mirage; Only Racism, Poverty & Gun Violence Are Realities by nijanigga: 2:05pm On May 30, 2022
delzbaba:
I was thinking same thing, I lived for few days on south side of Chicago, N Clarendon Avenue Back then a one bedroom apartment cost $2k a month and taste of Chicago ,annual festival was really fun ,but now all those things are gone ,lots of people who have the means are fleeing Chicago.
Starting a new life even for those born in US is hard ,talkless of coming from naija

4 Likes

Re: The American Dream: A Mirage; Only Racism, Poverty & Gun Violence Are Realities by Wealthscheme: 2:05pm On May 30, 2022
I advise her to learn an internet business, it will save you from income problem.
you are living in America, at least you have no restriction when it comes to digital marketing and receiving payment from PayPal and stripe

you can do:
affiliate marketing
information marketing
sell courses on Udemy or on your own websites
learn a skill and dp freelancing on Fiverr and Upwork
do ecommerce/dropshipping using Shopify
sell arts on Etsy
do virtual assistant on Fiverr
sell ebooks on Amazon KDP
open a YouTube channel
do social media management

just use the internet to your advantage

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The American Dream: A Mirage; Only Racism, Poverty & Gun Violence Are Realities by Acidbath: 2:05pm On May 30, 2022
Come back to zoo na.

See as she is even talking about her future plans and none has anything to do with the zoo. Yet, she is nagging like a typical African American.

She even said she has gotten about 5 admissions unlike the zoo that will make you write jamb 10 times unless you are ready to waste money in private schools.

Ungrateful thing.

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

Ex BBC Boss, David Hayward, Writes About His Experience In Nigeria (Igbo land) / List Of Lagos Roads & Bridges Under Okada & Tricycle Restrictions / Ambode’s Wire-mesh Fence On Expressways Are Being Vandalized (see PHOTOS)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.