Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,190 members, 7,822,010 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 01:17 AM

Uber, Bolt Drivers Begin Strike In Abuja - Career (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Uber, Bolt Drivers Begin Strike In Abuja (29909 Views)

My 6 Months Experience As An Uber/bolt Driver In Abuja / Addax Workers Lock Out CEO, Colin Klapa, Begin Strike / Benue Workers Begin Strike (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Uber, Bolt Drivers Begin Strike In Abuja by juwoonn(m): 9:30am On May 31, 2022
That 20k, is it pure profit? He go don burn 10k fuel, pay bolt commission and if car go spoil lassan, car parts are on the high now. To fix ordinary shaft, 12k commot for my pocket ytd. To service car, you’ll spend almost 15k... (servicing is a regular thing for a car that’s always working). ordinary engine oil that used to be 5k last year is now 10k+
Not to talk of replacing tires.
kekakuz:
I feel their pain tho.
But I know a bolt guy that makes about 20k on Saturdays alone.
How Is He doing it that you people are complaining

1 Like

Re: Uber, Bolt Drivers Begin Strike In Abuja by juwoonn(m): 9:34am On May 31, 2022
May God provide a car for you soon. You’ll understand when you start using a car.
iLoveYouToo:
These guys dey mad o, when I’m here thinking the fares are already too high. Wahala for who no get motor. Chai undecided
Re: Uber, Bolt Drivers Begin Strike In Abuja by BuddhaPalm(m): 9:47am On May 31, 2022
BoltAndUberAbj:
You spend 200,000 naira to fix your ac. Only for bolt to give you trip of 300 naira. cheesy

Omo, which kain A/C, Rolls Royce?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Uber, Bolt Drivers Begin Strike In Abuja by juwoonn(m): 9:50am On May 31, 2022
Lolz.... only you in the car, right? Oya calculate 18 passengers for an 18 passenger bus and calculate how much regular drivers will make if they pack 18 people from your pickup to your destination. You’ll see that regular drivers and even Okadars earn higher than bolt drivers.
N500 X 18 = N9000 for 30 minutes trip.
You in bolt pays N3600 for 30 minutes (which I doubt because 30 minutes ride with bolt is around N1500 here.
shortgun:
Greedy people, bolt and uber fares is high compared to city cabs.
Just yesterday I paid #3,600 for a trip of less than 30mins, the other time when I was in Lagos Bolt charged me about 8k from lekki to Festac.
People use their services cos of convenience not they are cheap.

Re: Uber, Bolt Drivers Begin Strike In Abuja by friday2011(m): 10:03am On May 31, 2022
kekakuz:
I feel their pain tho.

Gross earnings I believe, by the time he less fuel, data and company commission, don't be surprised what he will have left will not be up to #10,000.

Remember the car will also ask for maintenance sooner or later.

The fact is that the business is no more lucrative as it used to be because of the prevailing economic situation, anyone telling you he or she is making profit is deceiving you or the person do not understand basic economics.
Re: Uber, Bolt Drivers Begin Strike In Abuja by juwoonn(m): 10:06am On May 31, 2022
What type of car do you use bro?
I just changed my compressor for 70k.
Prices of these items vary depending on type of car. Besides, 100k is still high to fix AC and be collecting N500 trips. Remember there are always lots of things to fix on car... AC is just one small thing.
otabuko:

You can easily insult anyone online.
Condenser = 22,000
Compressor = 30,000
Valve = 3,000
Freezer = 8,000
Radiator = 32,0000
Workmanship + gas =11,000
Total = 106,000
Just worked all my car ac system. Infact as a matter of fact I changed the radiator for better ac performance...

Na only you get car bro.
Re: Uber, Bolt Drivers Begin Strike In Abuja by Sion47: 10:09am On May 31, 2022
I WONDER OOOO

josephobaro:
Anything connected to the Nigerian System cannot be straight forward. WHY?
Re: Uber, Bolt Drivers Begin Strike In Abuja by Hartman11: 10:11am On May 31, 2022
teepain:

I guess you should focus more on his expenditure and not what he makes. My interaction with some of these ride hailing drivers show that they barely make profit.

For instance the guy that you mentioned who makes 20k on Saturdays, will incur the following costs to make the 20k:

Fuel - 6k approximately
Bolt commission - 5k/6k (There are unconfirmed reports that their commission is now 30%)
Contingencies for maintenance and depreciation - 5k

Therefore on that 20k, he is probably making a profit of about 3k to 4k.

Note that he may refuse to set aside that portion for maintenance, but if he does that he would be without a car soon.

And to think that he would make that meagre amount of money over many hours show how poorly renumerated those guys are.

That is why I always try and offer them tips whenever I use their services.
U hv said and finalize it all
Use bolt as part-time hustling if not u will regret inventuring in2 d system
Re: Uber, Bolt Drivers Begin Strike In Abuja by Sion47: 10:12am On May 31, 2022
How many of them makes such amount that u know.

Moreover, when did 20,000 become a benchmarked earning for driver

kekakuz:
I feel their pain tho.
Re: Uber, Bolt Drivers Begin Strike In Abuja by Yampotatocarrot(m): 10:17am On May 31, 2022
Lol, Bolt wey I still order this morning?? Abi na Ghostrider come?

Those that are still online will just be happy because it means more rides for them

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Uber, Bolt Drivers Begin Strike In Abuja by juwoonn(m): 10:19am On May 31, 2022
Lolz...
40k oil dey (5 Ltrs)
Go ask sellers.
otokx:

25k oil, haba.

1 Like

Re: Uber, Bolt Drivers Begin Strike In Abuja by Yampotatocarrot(m): 10:20am On May 31, 2022
GloriousGbola:

This is definitely not true as I am paying more Than I paid in 2019 for trips

Thank you o. See open lies online. The fare were even increased again last year

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Uber, Bolt Drivers Begin Strike In Abuja by valudong(m): 10:24am On May 31, 2022
otokx:

25k oil, haba.

I Dey tell you, hardex gold for es 350 7litres na #17,500 buy filter still pay mechanic
Re: Uber, Bolt Drivers Begin Strike In Abuja by otabuko(m): 10:25am On May 31, 2022
juwoonn:
What type of car do you use bro?
I just changed my compressor for 70k.
Prices of these items vary depending on type of car. Besides, 100k is still high to fix AC and be collecting N500 trips. Remember there are always lots of things to fix on car... AC is just one small thing.
Well, I forgot to mention. The compressor I bought was "Belgium" and not new. The new one is about 80k

1 Like

Re: Uber, Bolt Drivers Begin Strike In Abuja by Hartman11: 10:29am On May 31, 2022
blackgold2018:
no it can never happen, only the stingy and the poor will be chased away.
It will never reduce there customers. Rather those left out take public transport. Never live above your means
U're right, imagining a mama put rice woman with all her coolers of food booking bolt for a short distance journey just because she will pay not less than #400 the ride

1 Like

Re: Uber, Bolt Drivers Begin Strike In Abuja by ThePlugg(m): 10:46am On May 31, 2022
dis country is going down,..........I repeat,going down
Re: Uber, Bolt Drivers Begin Strike In Abuja by 141samuel: 10:47am On May 31, 2022
airsaylongcome:

Lol! Did Bolt/Uber not provide you a service? Or do you think hosting a cab hailing server that provides global service while also processing card payments is an easy task? I work in a business that has to host thousands and thousands of servers with staff to implement and support them. If you take time to understand the business model of Uber/Bolt you'd have a different perspective. Which is why I encourage you guys to setup your own ehailing business. You guys can setup a cooperative to accomplish that. You don't get to pay tax sef if you guys are able to have a cooperative running a business
when Uber newly come to Nigeria they charged 25% on your first 20trips in a week and after that they start changing 3% , bolt charge 10% with numerous bonus ,are you telling they don't own a server then as you claim , now but of them are charging 25% with almost same amount of price, and first 2 to 3years of Uber in Nigeria there minimum price was #1000
Re: Uber, Bolt Drivers Begin Strike In Abuja by Nobody: 10:47am On May 31, 2022
Accept branding on your cars for community safety and get more pay you will save lives and crush the ritual business

Ndi German
Re: Uber, Bolt Drivers Begin Strike In Abuja by sammiejr(m): 11:16am On May 31, 2022
shortgun:

This is the only defence you lots can come up with?
That am poor?
For your info I only use your service to convey females anywhere I want them.
I drive myself wherever I want to go, I am too mindful of my wellbeing to subject myself to the agony of a 2003 corolla driven by a frustrated driver.

For you lots to keep mentioning car air conditioning as luxury in 21st century shows you deserve pity.

Oga I drive my own car take Bolt when the situation arises. Bolt remains the cheapest rideshare service in Nigeria over public taxi. They deserve that they're asking for.

Anyone who can't afford Bolt should use danfo.
Re: Uber, Bolt Drivers Begin Strike In Abuja by Okijajuju1(m): 11:42am On May 31, 2022
Dem wan unionize Uber and Bolt too?

If the services are no longer favorable, stop driving for them..
Re: Uber, Bolt Drivers Begin Strike In Abuja by airsaylongcome: 11:45am On May 31, 2022
141samuel:
when Uber newly come to Nigeria they charged 25% on your first 20trips in a week and after that they start changing 3% , bolt charge 10% with numerous bonus ,are you telling they don't own a server then as you claim , now but of them are charging 25% with almost same amount of price, and first 2 to 3years of Uber in Nigeria there minimum price was #1000

So in business, there is something called "loss leader", a way in which a business takes a loss to get market share. Dangote did it one time when he crashed the price of Dangote sugar to force out the competition. It's a similar thing Uber/Bolt did, charge 3%/10% to woo riders and drivers. Now that they have a firm grip of the market, there is no need for them to continue charging lower than their cost price. I am not justifying or speaking for these businesses o, just laying it out as it is. There are multiple aspects to businesses not just the 25% they charge you riders. Since you guys have been able to form a Union in Abuja and its effective why don't you guys consider floating your own platform to compete with Uber/Bolt. If you guys set it up as a non-profit Co-operative you guys can set fares and drivers can get to keep as much percentage of the fares as you decide.

1 Like

Re: Uber, Bolt Drivers Begin Strike In Abuja by mmsen: 11:55am On May 31, 2022
Offpoint1:
It's well...

I hope Nigerian don't make same mistakes they made TWICE in the past 7 years... Next year is around the corner.

You think Nigerians learn from their errors?

Have you not heard that Atiku is running for office again? lipsrsealed
Re: Uber, Bolt Drivers Begin Strike In Abuja by Nobody: 11:57am On May 31, 2022
Are they employee? Kabu Kabu to the rescue, see their guragura rides, this cant be Uber standards.
Re: Uber, Bolt Drivers Begin Strike In Abuja by CharleyBright(m): 12:03pm On May 31, 2022
iLoveYouToo:

The lowest rate on bolt currently is 500 except the rider has a discount, which is augmented by Bolt.

The problem with Bolt is they accept everyone to drive on their platform, just bring a car.

You’ll meet some drivers/cars and be wondering how they scaled the screening and inspection phase

You won't know how wear and tear can damage a brand new car in just 3months if a driver has to be driving daily to pick passengers in very terrible roads.
Some passengers will know that their road is bad, they will still want drivers to come in even to their bedroom to pick them off the bed because they book for ride.
Shocks, bolts and joints get damaged so easily on bad roads. And if you don't change these parts, it is the same passengers that will complain just as u are doing now.
Re: Uber, Bolt Drivers Begin Strike In Abuja by seskee(f): 12:04pm On May 31, 2022
Going through all the comments I laughed in swahili at those condemning uber/bolt drivers going on strike. Do they even understand what partnership is all about? We are not wearing these guys shoes and so can't confidently condemn their actions and I don't think they are asking for an unreasonable price hike. I have paid 300ngn for a ride of 4km, I pitied d lady dat picked me and left my change for her. I mean what is the value of our currency in present time. Pls be in their shoes first before you condemn.

3 Likes

Re: Uber, Bolt Drivers Begin Strike In Abuja by infogeneral: 12:12pm On May 31, 2022
I understand the company takes about 20 to 25 percent commission on every ride. That's too much. They should reduce their commission to 10 or 5 percent.
Re: Uber, Bolt Drivers Begin Strike In Abuja by Greatlee54: 12:12pm On May 31, 2022
kekakuz:
I feel their pain tho.
How much is 20k compared to what he'll spend on car maintenance
Re: Uber, Bolt Drivers Begin Strike In Abuja by iLoveYouToo(m): 12:30pm On May 31, 2022
CharleyBright:

You won't know how wear and tear can damage a brand new car in just 3months if a driver has to be driving daily to pick passengers in very terrible roads.
Some passengers will know that their road is bad, they will still want drivers to come in even to their bedroom to pick them off the bed because they book for ride.
Shocks, bolts and joints get damaged so easily on bad roads. And if you don't change these parts, it is the same passengers that will complain just as u are doing now.

I totally agree, dunno but I believe if the fares get too high people would stop using Bolt. When I have office runs to do I now use green taxis. Bolt fares are getting prohibitive. I did a round trip yesterday to buy Shawarma (from Garki to Wuse 2 and back), it cost me 3k. Shawarma of 2,500 o

1 Like

Re: Uber, Bolt Drivers Begin Strike In Abuja by udemejacob(m): 12:45pm On May 31, 2022
a 15% to 20%
Bolt charges a 15% to 20% commission from the final price per order depending on the city. Commission fee applies to both cash and card rides and cancellation fees. Commission doesn't apply to tips, bonuses, additional airport or toll fees. Commission is calculated automatically and deducted from the weekly earnings.6 Jan 2022

i still dont understand all this una talk, i just research this now
Re: Uber, Bolt Drivers Begin Strike In Abuja by Nobody: 1:01pm On May 31, 2022
My financial advise to any Uber or Bolt driver is that the best way to increase their income, is to quit driving for Uber / or Bolt immediately.
Exploitation of their drivers is built into their business model. In fact it is the core pillar of the model.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Why You Have To Be Nice To Bank Tellers - A Nairalander's Experience. / Wyse Or Pye Tutorial Centre? / The Truth About Bank Pay In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.