Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,324 members, 7,815,635 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:43 PM

Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 (83368 Views)

Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 / Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion / Manchester United Fan thread: Forever Reds (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (100) (Go Down)

Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 by coogar: 5:33pm On Aug 07, 2011
StarBoard:

^^^
Thank goodness he's on his way. . .no chance of the quadriplegic breaking into the first team,based on his performances over two seasons at United

obertan will become young player of the year for newcastle - you heard it here first!
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 by Cristalz(f): 5:42pm On Aug 07, 2011
Which EPL manager has got Fergie's kinda cahones?
His two main defenders were screwing up and he took 'em right out without stopping to think about it. grin

How Vidic and Rio let Lescott's long head come between them is way beyond me!
Second goal, Vida was admiring Dzeko's boots. Wonder what got into them.
They left De Gea wide open and the poor boy couldn't help but fumble. He had little defensive help in the first half so I can't blame him much for the goals.
The midfield was softer than an overripe banana in the first half too. Those City guys have gotta be on steroids. grin

All in all, United brought all the skill on that pitch today. All City brought was really cool muscle and brawn.
Guess it's safe to say they got their goals 'cos United's middle was messed up, defenders were asleep and goalie was less than composed.
Mancini has still got a lot of work to do getting those guys to blend well together. You don't build a real team in a day.

As for Nani, totally bossed that third goal. Easy to forgive him for his horrible passes and more horrible crosses.
Really don't know what Carrick is still doing starting games for United.

Loved Silva's boots, BTW. Very colorful. grin
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 by Nobody: 5:48pm On Aug 07, 2011
@coogar,
Don't bet on it.He had the biggest platform to do just that at United criss but he couldn't do so just to pay his way to lunch.tell me why and how he intends to do same at crises-ridden Newcastle?For me it's good riddance to rubbish.at least we got what was spent on his yam-head
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 by coogar: 5:58pm On Aug 07, 2011
StarBoard:

@coogar,
Don't bet on it.He had the biggest platform to do just that at United criss but he couldn't do so just to pay his way to lunch.tell me why and how he intends to do same at crises-ridden Newcastle?For me it's good riddance to rubbish.at least we got what was spent on his yam-head

but let's be honest. . . . .do you expect obertan to get ahead of nani? ashley young? giggs? js park? valencia? of course obertan would look like a pub player next to these senior players. . . . . .and there's not enough game time for him to hone his skills so he gets shafted!

this is why these players become monsters in mid-table teams like sunderland, blackburn, hull, etc. obertan will get enough game time @ newcastle and he will soon be gracing the front pages of sports news media.
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 by Nobody: 6:07pm On Aug 07, 2011
I can't remember anyone so awful for United.there were Carling cup games and FA Cup games over two seasons for him to make his mark over two seasons.By now Nani shoulda been looking nervously over his shoulders and Giggs should have hung up his boots if he were any good.He's had plenty chances to make his mark and he failed so woefully.
You don't need to look any further than Tom Cleverley's performance tonight.If Michael Carrick is an honest fellow,he should start worrying about getting a regular starting berth.
The Hulls,sunderlands,blacburns of this world are of lower standards.For me if you aren't good at United,you probably won't be good anywhere else.You'll just be a local champ at small-fry clubs.
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 by coogar: 6:16pm On Aug 07, 2011
StarBoard:

I can't remember anyone so awful for United.there were Carling cup games and FA Cup games over two seasons for him to make his mark over two seasons.By now Nani shoulda been looking nervously over his shoulders and Giggs should have hung up his boots if he were any good.He's had plenty chances to make his mark and he failed so woefully.

he's never had a run of consecutive games. the thing with united these days is that the error of margin is too minute. if you don't grab your chance within 5 mins of coming on, that's it! because united are expected to win every game. obertan is a skilful player - i will put his ability as the same as welbeck and cleverley. the only difference is welbeck/cleverley have gained a full season premier league experience by going out on loan deals whilst obertan had his arse stuck playing for the reserves.

You don't need to look any further than Tom Cleverley's performance tonight.If Michael Carrick is an honest fellow,he should start worrying about getting a regular starting berth.

after playing 1 full season for watford and another full season with wigan athletic - you should expect cleverley to be more developed than obertan.
in terms of footie skills, obertan is electric.

The Hulls,sunderlands,blacburns of this world are of lower standards.For me if you aren't good at United,you probably wo't be good anywhere else.You'll just be a local champ at small-fry clubs.

3 names. . . .

forlan
rossi
tevez. grin

do you wish to change your mind now? cheesy
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 by montelik(m): 6:38pm On Aug 07, 2011
coogar:

he's never had a run of consecutive games. the thing with united these days is that the error of margin is too minute. if you don't grab your chance within 5 mins of coming on, that's it! because united are expected to win every game. obertan is a skilful player - i will put his ability as the same as welbeck and cleverley. the only difference is welbeck/cleverley have gained a full season premier league experience by going out on loan deals whilst obertan had his arse stuck playing for the reserves.

But even before Welbeck's loan spells he already looked like a promising footballer in d limited appearances he made at O.T. I recall his performances in our run to d Carling cup final of 08/09 season. He showed not just skill and ability, but d mentality to be a decent player. Obertan on d other hand has consistently looked crap whether it be carling cup, fa cup, ucl, except during pre-season.
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 by coogar: 6:44pm On Aug 07, 2011
montelik:

But even before Welbeck's loan spells he already looked like a promising footballer in d limited appearances he made at O.T. I recall his performances in our run to d Carling cup final of 08/09 season. He showed not just skill and ability, but d mentality to be a decent player. Obertan on d other hand has consistently looked crap whether it be carling cup, fa cup, ucl, except during pre-season.

champions league group stage
wolfsburg 1-3 man utd(09/10 season).

chamotex:

I'm not sure about this De Gea dude mehn. He looks very tiny between the sticks.
Hope this is just a one-off

discuss messi's goal against van der sar in wembley?
i am certain, you weren't too sure about van der sar after that goal or were you? grin cheesy
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 by chamotex(m): 6:54pm On Aug 07, 2011
coogar:

discuss messi's goal against van der sar in wembley?
i am certain, you weren't too sure about van der sar after that goal or were you? grin cheesy

Van Der Sar was proven.
Still not sure about the kid until he proves me wrong.
Not saying he cant be good but not sure about him for now.
It's not easy to judge from one game.
By December, we will know better the calibre of player he is.
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 by coogar: 6:57pm On Aug 07, 2011
chamotex:

Van Der Sar was proven.
Still not sure about the kid until he proves me wrong.
Not saying he cant be good but not sure about him for now.
It's not easy to judge from one game.
By December, we will know better the calibre of player he is.

he made 2 saves in the second half and. . . . . .bloody hell, did you see his distribution to start quick counter-attacks? not even edwin was that good with consistent long kicks to start an attack. de gea did well considering the circumstances. big match, big occasion, new team, new country, etc.
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 by chamotex(m): 7:00pm On Aug 07, 2011
coogar:

he made 2 saves in the second half and. . . . . .bloody hell, did you see his distribution to start quick counter-attacks? not even edwin was that good with consistent long kicks to start an attack. de gea did well considering the circumstances. big match, big occasion, new team, new country, etc.

He is still very young tho so he still has a lot to learn.
I hope its a one-off.

He made one crazy save from Johnson . . . ferocious shot!!!
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 by coogar: 7:05pm On Aug 07, 2011
chamotex:

He is still very young tho so he still has a lot to learn.
I hope its a one-off.

He made one crazy save from Johnson . . . ferocious shot!!!

i can only blame him for the second goal. . . .dzeko had acres of space ahead of him(who was tracking his run)?
vidic/rio should be arrested for the first goal.

but that second goal was or[i]g[/i]asmic.
xavi, iniesta and messi would be envious. cool
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 by Nobody: 7:13pm On Aug 07, 2011
@coogar
Strike Tevez's name off that list.He did well for United.
As for names,here are a few;
Bellion
Djemba-Djemba
Kleberson
Chris Eagles
Jonathan Greening
Spector
Kanchelskis
Jordi Cryuff
Ronny Johnsen
Mark Bosnich
Nassimo Taibi
Jesper Blomqvist
Keiran Richardson
Add obertan to this list

These players came into United and left and have yet to have any desirable effect in whichever clubs they have played for.
The list is inexhaustible.
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 by coogar: 7:18pm On Aug 07, 2011
StarBoard:

@coogar
Strike Tevez's name off that list.He did well for United.

how? by scoring 5 league goals in 29 appearances for man utd in his last season here?
why do you think fergie refused to get him a contract?

As for names,here are a few;
Bellion
Djemba-Djemba
Kleberson
Chris Eagles
Jonathan Greening
Spector
Kanchelskis
Jordi Cryuff
Ronny Johnsen
Mark Bosnich
Nassimo Taibi
Jesper Blomqvist
Keiran Richardson
Add obertan to this list

These players came into United and left and have yet to have any desirable effect in whichever clubs they have played for.
The list is inexhaustible.

you said no player leaves united and make it anywhere else.
i gave you 3 names - do you agree some have left and have made it elsewhere?
do you also agree we need to wait a full season before we judge obertan in another team?
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 by DoubleN(m): 7:29pm On Aug 07, 2011
The Mistakes made by De Gea today especially his positioning for the Second goal is natural for a young keeper. From what i have seen so far, he is going to be up there with the greats at the end of the day. The boy's Ball distribution is spot on and his composure in one on one situations is mature. This Set of young Manucians are really making me smile. grin grin. Who needs to splash out Armed Robber salary on a Wes? when we have the likes of Tom Cleverly who can be nurtured into in World Class Midfielder! Dude made Carrick look like a Youth Team Player!!

All in All, Glory Glory Man Utd!!! grin grin grin
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 by Cristalz(f): 7:50pm On Aug 07, 2011
Guys, ease up on De Gea already and acknowledge that he had a poor defense in the first half.
His back 4 left him wide open when he trusted them not to.
I don't think it's fair to give him 100 percent blame, considering he is kinda less experienced than his defenders.

Goalies shouldn't make mistakes like he made in 1st half, but I think we should cut him some slack considering it was his first game of the season per se, and especially considering he had a crappy defense, not to mention the MF.
Vida and Rio should go apologize to the guy sef. grin
David James was an okay goalie but the horrible Pompey defense back then made him look terrible.

De Gea was steadier in the 2nd half. . .and he did have an improved back line and midfield.
And as observed above, his attacking passes when he releases the ball are awesome. My friend that watched the game with me called him an attacker.

I'm so on the David de Gea team. Dude's got great potential. Wish he were taller though. Hez kinda small.
Speaking of which, did anyone notice Berba's gotten muscular? Nice. grin Too bad the extra muscle may just slow his pace even more.
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 by chamotex(m): 8:06pm On Aug 07, 2011
Cristalz:

Guys, ease up on De Gea already and acknowledge that he had a poor defense in the first half.
His back 4 left him wide open when he trusted them not to.
I don't think it's fair to give him 100 percent blame, considering he is kinda less experienced than his defenders.

Goalies shouldn't make mistakes like he made in 1st half, but I think we should cut him some slack considering it was his first game of the season per se, and especially considering he had a crappy defense, not to mention the MF.
Vida and Rio should go apologize to the guy sef. grin
David James was an okay goalie but the horrible Pompey defense back then made him look terrible.

Double N:

The Mistakes made by De Gea today especially his positioning for the Second goal is natural for a young keeper. From what i have seen so far, he is going to be up there with the greats at the end of the day. The boy's Ball distribution is spot on and his composure in one on one situations is mature. This Set of young Manucians are really making me smile. grin grin. Who needs to splash out Armed Robber salary on a Wes? when we have the likes of Tom Cleverly who can be nurtured into in World Class Midfielder! Dude made Carrick look like a  Youth Team Player!!

He only made one mistake which led to the second goal.
Cant blame him for the first.
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 by montelik(m): 8:25pm On Aug 07, 2011
Double N:

The Mistakes made by De Gea today especially his positioning for the Second goal is natural for a young keeper. From what i have seen so far, he is going to be up there with the greats at the end of the day. The boy's Ball distribution is spot on and his composure in one on one situations is mature. This Set of young Manucians are really making me smile. grin grin. Who needs to splash out Armed Robber salary on a Wes? when we have the likes of Tom Cleverly who can be nurtured into in World Class Midfielder! Dude made Carrick look like a Youth Team Player!!

Totally concur. Honestly, I was one of those concerned about whether Cleverley wasn't simply a Gibson/Possebon in waiting. But so far through pre-season and today he looks very ready with lots of room for improvement. If Carrick doesn't pull his finger out this season and start playing like d world class midfielder he is, it won't belong before he ends up like O'shea. Anderson looks very determined, I won't be shocked if SAF has told him its make or break time for him this season.
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 by coogar: 8:30pm On Aug 07, 2011
montelik:

Totally concur. Honestly, I was one of those concerned about whether Cleverley wasn't simply a Gibson/Possebon in waiting. But so far through pre-season and today he looks very ready with lots of room for improvement. If Carrick doesn't pull his finger out this season and start playing like d world class midfielder he is, it won't belong before he ends up like O'shea. Anderson looks very determined, I won't be shocked if SAF has told him its make or break time for him this season.

why blame carrick? he is still nursing an injury on his achilles tendon. he shouldn't have played and he looks a bit leggy(lack of games in the pre-season). carrick is our best midfielder until we sign sneijder. cleverley came in fresh - full of verve and energy. cleverley's fine display shouldn't roll criticisms on carrick. . . . .
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 by chamotex(m): 8:37pm On Aug 07, 2011
montelik:

Totally concur. Honestly, I was one of those concerned about whether Cleverley wasn't simply a Gibson/Possebon in waiting.  But so far through pre-season and today he looks very ready with lots of room for improvement. If Carrick doesn't pull his finger out this season and start playing like d world class midfielder he is, it won't belong before he ends up like O'shea. Anderson looks very determined, I won't be shocked if SAF has told him its make or break time for him this season.

Anderson has always been good.
We all know the talent is there . . . on his day, he will match any midfielder in the league toe-to-toe
His only problem is CONSISTENCY . . . can he keep playing the way he did today for large parts of the season?

coogar:

why blame carrick? he is still nursing an injury on his achilles tendon. he shouldn't have played and he looks a bit leggy(lack of games in the pre-season). carrick is our best midfielder until we sign sneijder. cleverley came in fresh - full of verve and energy. cleverley's fine display shouldn't roll criticisms on carrick. . . . .

I dunno why everyone is thinking Cleverly will dispose Carrick out of the team . . . for starters they dont even play the same positions.
Carrick is our only disciplined DM . . . Cleverly is an AM. If anything Cleverly will fight it out with Anderson.
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 by montelik(m): 8:40pm On Aug 07, 2011
coogar:

Not blaming Carrick, I was shocked he even started. I just pointed out he will need to step it up this season as some of d other guys look eager to make their mark.
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 by coogar: 8:43pm On Aug 07, 2011
chamotex:

I dunno why everyone is thinking Cleverly will dispose Carrick out of the team . . . for starters they dont even play the same positions.
Carrick is our only disciplined DM . . . Cleverly is a an AM. If anything Cleverly will fight it out with Anderson.

until we get a midfielder like makelele, mikel obi, tiote, song - carrick's starting place is safe. he is our only disciplined defensive midfielder like you rightly pointed. his role is to protect the back four and get stuck in.  cleverley will fight it out with sneijder/giggs/etc or whoever plays the attacking midfielder role.

chamotex, who is the stagnant city player in this gif. if it's de-jong, his wages should be deducted till september.
he watched the whole move in the box-seat. grin

Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 by chamotex(m): 8:53pm On Aug 07, 2011
coogar:

until we get a midfielder like makelele, mikel obi, tiote, song - carrick's starting place is safe. he is our only disciplined defensive midfielder like you rightly pointed. his role is to protect the back four and get stuck in.  cleverley will fight it out with sneijder/giggs/etc or whoever plays the attacking midfielder role.

chamotex, who is the stagnant city player in this gif. if it's de-jong, his wages should be deducted till september.
he watched the whole move in the box-seat. grin

Yes it was De jong. grin
He wasn't the only one stagnant . . . so was Yaya Toure
Just take another look at how Kompany was running round in circles. grin grin
The whole defence was dazzled.
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 by chamotex(m): 8:54pm On Aug 07, 2011
Take a look at Lescott . . . LWKMD grin grin grin
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 by coogar: 8:57pm On Aug 07, 2011
chamotex:

Take a look at Lescott . . . LWKMD grin grin grin

he was trying to stop the ball crossing into the net. . . . .
city players are so substandard in the defence department.

but to be fair, i was frustrated with the barsenal way we were teasing them at the edge of the box.
when did we start the whole tiki-takaing @ the edge of the opponent's box. . . . but that 2nd goal was nothing short of footgasm.
the way lescott, yaya and de jong were left running like zombies was a joy to behold.
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 by Cristalz(f): 9:35pm On Aug 07, 2011
@Chamo
Come on, Vidic was gaping at Dzeko's feet instead of doing his job seconds before the second goal happened.
Problem I had with De Gea there was that he had time to see the ball coming yet his reflexes were too slow to stop it. There wasn't anything spectacular about the shot.

He wasn't entirely responsible for the 2nd goal.  .  .I give Vidic 46 percent share as well.
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 by RuuDie(m): 5:50am On Aug 08, 2011
Anderson is an attacking midfielder !? shocked

Well, thank God Cleverly is here; I dont care if he starts actually playing like Ronaldinho of old, we are shipping him to defensive midfield instanta grin
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 by RuuDie(m): 5:58am On Aug 08, 2011
Cristalz:

@Chamo
Come on, Vidic was gaping at Dzeko's feet instead of doing his job seconds before the second goal happened.
Problem I had with De Gea there was that he had time to see the ball coming yet his reflexes were too slow to stop it. There wasn't anything spectacular about the shot.

He wasn't entirely responsible for the 2nd goal. . .I give Vidic 46 percent share as well.

Make that 76%

My sentiments exactly ~ even though I still prefer Lindgaard but Vidic is a bit guilty of standing sideways when an attacker is running towards him; he doesn't move forward to charge down the shot, rather turns slightly to the side. . . . . wonder who he is trying to give a clear sight, he's goalie or the approaching attacker!? He certainly gave Dzeko the impetus to shoot last night! Could De Gea have done better ~ probably, but then again the ball bounced off the turf just right in front of him - easier to save if the goalie has his body behind and in the line of the ball ~ much more difficult to keep out if he is diving at a stretch attempting to parry.
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 by dayokanu(m): 6:09am On Aug 08, 2011
Cristalz:

I'm so on the David de Gea team. Dude's got great potential. Wish he were taller though. Hez kinda small.

He is 6ft 4 which is tall enough, Not everyone can be like me cool
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 by Nobody: 8:46am On Aug 08, 2011
@coogar,
Still strike Tevez off.
He was part of the the Holy GRail,wasn't he?
As for the names,I will agree that it happens that a minority manage to go elsewhere and perform.But I've seen enough of Obertan to conclude he can't cut it.Two seasons at United ie enough for me.
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 by Cristalz(f): 9:36am On Aug 08, 2011
@Ruudie
You saw Vidic too. Thanks.
I was so impressed with Fergie when he simply replaced Rio and Vidic at half time. Both men kept making silly mistakes and unnecessarily exposing the goalie.

@DK
Yeah, you're right. Just checked.
I'm surprised.  .  .dude looked kinda small. And VDS is 6''5. Berba needs to feed De Gea whatever he ate during the summer break.
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 by coogar: 12:17pm On Aug 08, 2011
StarBoard:

@coogar,
Still strike Tevez off.
He was part of the the Holy GRail,wasn't he?

tevez got bored after 1 season. . . .his performances dropped off after his debut season.

As for the names,I will agree that it happens that a minority manage to go elsewhere and perform.But I've seen enough of Obertan to conclude he can't cut it.Two seasons at United ie enough for me.

obertan is better than giggs. grin tongue

p.s. tom cleverley has been called up into the england squad. so fast!!!

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (100)

Liverpool Vs Real Madrid UCL Final (0 - 1) On 28th May 2022 / Arsenal Vs Chelsea : FA Cup Final (2 - 1) On 1st August 2020 / Manchester United Vs Liverpool (0 - 5) On 24th October 2021

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.