Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,108 members, 7,811,120 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 12:21 AM

Awo And The Creation Of States [1987] By Ken Saro Wiwa - Politics (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Awo And The Creation Of States [1987] By Ken Saro Wiwa (10837 Views)

Ken Saro-Wiwa And 8 Other Ogonis Were Executed On 10th November, 1995 / Tinubu Praises Awo And Other African Statesmen / Matthew Mbu On Tribalism, Awo And The North- A Must Read Interview (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Awo And The Creation Of States [1987] By Ken Saro Wiwa by ChinenyeN(m): 6:08pm On Jul 21, 2011
(I presume you are Ijo. . . I presume). If it's any consolation to you, I would also throw my Ikwere kin under the bus.
Re: Awo And The Creation Of States [1987] By Ken Saro Wiwa by tpia5: 6:11pm On Jul 21, 2011
^^haha.

its a question of who throws who first, seriously.

you're assuming they wouldnt have thrown you while you're still considering whether to throw them.
Re: Awo And The Creation Of States [1987] By Ken Saro Wiwa by ChinenyeN(m): 6:15pm On Jul 21, 2011
The only thing I assume with Ikwere is that we can never get along. I expect them to be willing to throw me under the bus, and they should likewise expect the same from wenne we Ngwa zi nu mba.
Re: Awo And The Creation Of States [1987] By Ken Saro Wiwa by tpia5: 6:18pm On Jul 21, 2011
fair enough. wink
Re: Awo And The Creation Of States [1987] By Ken Saro Wiwa by Dede1(m): 6:27pm On Jul 21, 2011
Da Doctor:

A son of Ogoni chieftain Jim Wiwa, Ken was born in Bori, in the Niger Delta.[1] He spent his childhood in an Anglican home and eventually proved himself to be an excellent student,he attended Secondary School at Government College Umuahia and on completion obtained a scholarship to study English at the University of Ibadan and briefly became a teaching assistant at the University of Lagos.[2][3]

However, he soon took up a government post as the Civilian Administrator for the port city of Bonny in the Niger Delta, and during the Nigerian Civil War was a strong supporter of the federal cause against the Biafrans. His best known novel, Sozaboy: A Novel in Rotten English, tells the story of a naive village boy recruited to the army during the Nigerian Civil War of 1967 to 1970, and intimates the political corruption and patronage in Nigeria's military regime of the time. His war diaries, On a Darkling Plain, document Saro-Wiwa's experience during the war. Saro-Wiwa was also a successful businessman and television producer. His satirical television series, Basi & Co., is purported to have been one of the most watched soap operas in Africa, surpassed only by Jab Adu's The Village Headmaster and Claudius Eke's Masqurade.[citation needed]

Nigeria is indeed a funny real estate where every person who can string two English words together automatically becomes the son of a chieftain. I laugh in Ogoni when ignorant onlookers kept writing about the scholarship Ken Saro Wiwa received without mentioning the entity that awarded him the scholarship. Wiley fools will always tempt to bite the finger that fed them.
Re: Awo And The Creation Of States [1987] By Ken Saro Wiwa by tpia5: 12:14am On Jul 22, 2011
seanet02:

Dede1, You only like Lashing other tribes even when you see the brazen show of stvpidity by ezeuche, chino and co. This is something that makes Katsumoto and Dayokanu stands out as above you. Did you know the number of times Katsumoto have scolded me here, many times but as Mature and Intelligent as you Partiality is your proble.
I still hold you in High esteem shao

dayokanu did you just say.

your role model and hero.
Re: Awo And The Creation Of States [1987] By Ken Saro Wiwa by aljharem3: 12:31am On Jul 22, 2011
Dede1:

Sometimes bros, you disappoint me big time. Even the people you termed stolid brain seem to be better tender of historical events than those who are condescendingly disingenuous with issues about eastern region of Nigeria and Biafra.

Granted there were stinking minorities who jumped ship while Biafrans fought Nigeria, there were staunch minorities who fought the war braver than majorities. Ojukwu did not consult with everybody in my province about the war but he consulted with the representatives including those from Degema, Ogoja, Opobo, Yenegoa, Calabar, Eket, Annang and Uyo. It is on record that during those consultative meetings a son of Ijo proposed the name-Biafra for eastern region.  I know a young Major from Sagbama who commanded 53rd Brigade of Biafran army who had the intent to recapture Port Harcourt in 1969 after overrunning Igrinta.

There was no former regional leader who wanted creation of region out of the existing three. Awolowo did everything in the books including ominous threats to certain royalties who supported the creation of Mid-western region. It is rather silly to read about irresponsible rant from loser such as Ken Saro Wiwa praising Awo on creation of states.

The first Nigerian republic was a democratic affair and people of eastern region did not sue to oppose such political ideals. Hence the first Mayor of Enugu was Hausa. Even the first leader of government in eastern region was a minority from Ibibio. In 1954 when some people in certain part of the country were swearing and dancing to certain tune of music about opposing non-son of the soil being leader in a section of the country, Zik appointed a Yoruba as the Press Secretary of eastern regional government. Ijo produced adequate representatives to the government of eastern region as evidenced in every election of the time. According to you, I did not think Melford Okilo would have been elected if Ndigbo were the final arbiter of the electoral process. 

War was fought, lost and won. Aftermath of the war shall always produce saboteurs and decenters who stand to curry favor from the victors. But remember that change, ironically, remains constant.

arrant nonsense, such a lair. u keep lying under big grammar. stu.pid man/boy

The first region to be divided in Nigeria was the western region thanks to ZIK

afterwards there was a poll which the itsekiri and bini voted against the creation (showing love for the west) but urhobo, ijaw, esan etc voted for and thus the mid-west was created.

even till today the mid west, edwin clark , bini (edo) meet with the western and afernifere leaders to talk of the development of the west

same can not be said of the east. baleysa , akwa ibom, cross river would NEVER do such because of the evil act of ur leaders(no names so it would not go tribal)

i stand to be corrected
Re: Awo And The Creation Of States [1987] By Ken Saro Wiwa by Dede1(m): 11:23am On Jul 22, 2011
alj_harem:

afterwards there was a poll which the itsekiri and bini voted against the creation (showing love for the west) but urhobo, ijaw, esan etc voted for and thus the mid-west was created.

even till today the mid west, edwin clark , bini (edo) meet with the western and afernifere leaders to talk of the development of the west

same can not be said of the east. baleysa , akwa ibom, cross river would NEVER do such because of the evil act of your leaders(no names so it would not go tribal)

i stand to be corrected

This is not the first time that alj harem and his or her ilk are known to have disappointed undiscerning onlookers. Even as a capable farm hand, you will continue to strikeout on rudimental history of Nigeria. Begging you to engage in perusal of recorded events about regional governments in Nigeria is akin to driving herds of cattle to a water hole.

I do not think any person with well coordinated social order above his or her shoulders would want to correct an inherent dullard such as you. I guess you have heard stupidity can not be fixed.
Re: Awo And The Creation Of States [1987] By Ken Saro Wiwa by RoadStar: 2:08pm On Jul 23, 2011
alj_harem:

same can not be said of the east. baleysa , akwa ibom, cross river would NEVER do such because of the evil act of your leaders(no names so it would not go tribal)

i stand to be corrected
So at least why is Zik not mentioned as a major facilitator in the creation of states for minorities in Nigeria?

Edwin clark and not his tribe (Ijaw), Edos of Niger Delta talking about the development of the west ?
This statement is kinda incoherent, dont u think ?
Re: Awo And The Creation Of States [1987] By Ken Saro Wiwa by Uchek(m): 5:44pm On Jul 17, 2021
If Awo was indeed a realist, he should have fought for Yoruba freedom and not One Nigeria

jason123:

He did not hate Ndigbo. Get that idea out of your head. Because he does not agree with you does not mean he HATES you. . . .Ezeuche, let's not digress.
The point is, he proved what I was saying the other day.

Ahmado Bello: Foresight
Awolowo: Realist
Azikwe: Dreamer
Re: Awo And The Creation Of States [1987] By Ken Saro Wiwa by Uchek(m): 5:47pm On Jul 17, 2021
Dat was wat Awolowo fought for, against biafra. Sold the south out for oil wealth from the southeast region. The guys corruption knows no bound.

You hit the name on the head. Awolowo sold the dummy (State creation) to Saro-Wiwa and stole thier wealth and transferred it to Lagos

Bliss4Lyfe:
Sentiments. This post goes to elaborate the grand deception dat was presented to the midwest and unfortunately the ijaws. They fed dem with propaganda and they bought into the lie. Good a thing the post outlines the shift of oil wealth from ogoniland to lagos. Dat was wat Awolowo fought for, against biafra. Sold the south out for oil wealth from the southeast region. The guys corruption knows no bound.
Re: Awo And The Creation Of States [1987] By Ken Saro Wiwa by Uchek(m): 10:21am On Oct 23, 2022
TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOU!

Bliss4Lyfe:
Sentiments. This post goes to elaborate the grand deception dat was presented to the midwest and unfortunately the ijaws. They fed dem with propaganda and they bought into the lie. Good a thing the post outlines the shift of oil wealth from ogoniland to lagos. Dat was wat Awolowo fought for, against biafra. Sold the south out for oil wealth from the southeast region. The guys corruption knows no bound.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

INEC Retains Smart Card Reader, Incidence Form / Anambra Loses 50 Per Cent Of Revenue To Touts, Leakage – Official / PDP, ANPP, Slam Okorocha For Closing Schools, Markets For Birthday

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.