Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,129 members, 7,811,193 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 05:50 AM

Awo And The Creation Of States [1987] By Ken Saro Wiwa - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Awo And The Creation Of States [1987] By Ken Saro Wiwa (10838 Views)

Ken Saro-Wiwa And 8 Other Ogonis Were Executed On 10th November, 1995 / Tinubu Praises Awo And Other African Statesmen / Matthew Mbu On Tribalism, Awo And The North- A Must Read Interview (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Awo And The Creation Of States [1987] By Ken Saro Wiwa by Onlytruth(m): 5:48pm On Jul 20, 2011
Some of my Igbo brothers here have demonstrated our usual genius.
If I were constituting an Igbo leadership executive, I would do it as follows:

ChinenyeN - Special Adviser on Nigerian National Affairs  cool (can't go wrong with this dude walahi)
Chyz- Special Adviser on Strategic Thinking  cool (knows more about Nigeria than all Igbo I've seen on this site)
Ezeuche -Commander of Special forces!  cool (Act first and ask questions later)
Re: Awo And The Creation Of States [1987] By Ken Saro Wiwa by ChinenyeN(m): 5:49pm On Jul 20, 2011
Jason, what the hell are you talking about? See this your response. Are you even sure you meant to quote/respond to me?
Re: Awo And The Creation Of States [1987] By Ken Saro Wiwa by Chyz2: 5:53pm On Jul 20, 2011
jason123:

Wrong.
They do not wanted to be dominated by Yoru-Igbo! That led to the creation of the Mid-west. Now, the baby created by the North and East has now mature to a FULL GROWN MAN (the Niger-delta). cheesy cheesy
On a real, what gives any of these groups (Yoruba and Igbo) to think they are our big brother and reserve the right to make decisions for us

What do you mean by the bolded?
Re: Awo And The Creation Of States [1987] By Ken Saro Wiwa by Chyz2: 5:54pm On Jul 20, 2011
Onlytruth:

ChinenyeN - Special Adviser on Nigerian National Affairs cool (can't go wrong with this dude walahi)
Chyz- Special Adviser on Strategic Thinking cool (knows more about Nigeria than all Igbo I've seen on this site)
Ezeuche -Commander of Special forces! cool (Act first and ask questions later)

cool
Re: Awo And The Creation Of States [1987] By Ken Saro Wiwa by ChinenyeN(m): 5:55pm On Jul 20, 2011
Noticed an error in my post. The below is the correction.

"it's high time they be thoroughly treated as their self-imposed classification implies; as minorities."
Re: Awo And The Creation Of States [1987] By Ken Saro Wiwa by jason123: 5:58pm On Jul 20, 2011
ChinenyeN:

I'm a person of little to no tolerance. So, I've already tossed them under the bus. I have extended family and friends from SS and we've had this discussion about Igbo and 'minorities' and quite frankly, my tolerance for them and their lot has run out. In the place of that tolerance (or lack thereof) sits dislike, the same kind that I have for my Ikwere kin. I don't even communicate with those extended family and friends anymore, and I'm applying the same mentality to national politics. The Igbo should keep their eye, ears and minds closed to these 'minorities' and their predicaments. Their failure is not the for the Igbo to carry. Other more pressing matters are facing the Igbo.

No brotherhood. No 'big brother' east. They chose to be 'minorities' and so it's high time them as their self-imposed classification implies; as minorities.

You wrote this and that was why I responded.

Chyz*:

What do you mean by the bolded?

Chyz, the MW was created to reduce the power and influence of AG by the NCNC and NPC. Well, it worked well since we now have our space (politically)
Re: Awo And The Creation Of States [1987] By Ken Saro Wiwa by bashr4: 6:00pm On Jul 20, 2011
jason your funny oo can you give me a break down of the ethnic group in your so called niger delta both old, geographical and objs new nigerdelta
Re: Awo And The Creation Of States [1987] By Ken Saro Wiwa by jason123: 6:03pm On Jul 20, 2011
bashr4:

jason your funny oo can you give me a break down of the ethnic group in your so called niger delta both old, geographical and objs new nigerdelta
I'll assume you asked a rhetorical question. undecided
Re: Awo And The Creation Of States [1987] By Ken Saro Wiwa by bashr4: 6:10pm On Jul 20, 2011
jason123:

I'll assume you asked a rhetorical question. undecided

let me assume you have taken correction about who the niger deltans are.
Re: Awo And The Creation Of States [1987] By Ken Saro Wiwa by ChinenyeN(m): 6:27pm On Jul 20, 2011
So you meant to write that nonsense to me. Do you not see how out of line your response is? You are telling me I'm wrong, but you turn around to say the exact same thing I've been saying since I first posted in this topic, except that your incorporating loads of unnecessary bullshit along with your comment.
Re: Awo And The Creation Of States [1987] By Ken Saro Wiwa by jason123: 6:31pm On Jul 20, 2011
ChinenyeN:

So you meant to write that nonsense to me. Do you not see how out of line your response is? You are telling me I'm wrong, but you turn around to say the exact same thing I've been saying since I first posted in this topic, except that your incorporating loads of unnecessary bullshit along with your comment.

Guy, calm down. I did not mean any harm (notice the smiles in the reply).
Re: Awo And The Creation Of States [1987] By Ken Saro Wiwa by ChinenyeN(m): 6:40pm On Jul 20, 2011
NL mobile. I can't see emoticons. If your response was meant as a joke then my mistake.
Re: Awo And The Creation Of States [1987] By Ken Saro Wiwa by ChinenyeN(m): 6:41pm On Jul 20, 2011
If you meant it seriously, then I retract nothing.
Re: Awo And The Creation Of States [1987] By Ken Saro Wiwa by tony451: 6:55pm On Jul 20, 2011
Actually just finished reading saro's autobiography that spans post-independence Nigeria and all through the war. The OP is actually a quote from a part of the book. I was hoping to start a topic on the said book but I haven't found the time to scan relevant sections so we can all read it. I don't know if anyone else has read it but if you do, you will see how his antipathy towards Ojukwu developed and how badly minorities have been treated over the years both in Nigeria and in Biafra. Personally, from what i've observed the majority ethnic groups in Nigeria have a lot to answer for.

I'm a bit rushed for time but later today i'll come back and explain what i mean. Btw even though I'm yoruba i have no agenda here just a fascination with this country's history.
Re: Awo And The Creation Of States [1987] By Ken Saro Wiwa by Dede1(m): 7:05pm On Jul 20, 2011
The pair of jason123 and alj harem is professed and illogical clown on this forum.
Re: Awo And The Creation Of States [1987] By Ken Saro Wiwa by Obiagu1(m): 7:12pm On Jul 20, 2011
ChinenyeN:

This is how I see it. The Igbo do not owe any of the 'minorities' anything. Plain and simple. This is what they chose for themselves. So they should solve it by themselves. The Igbo are not a 'big brother' to any of these 'minorities'. Plain and simple. There is no such thing as 'big brother' in the east. It has always been 'to each his own'.

Most importantly, the Igbo should close their eyes and ears and even more so, their minds, to these 'minorities'. Its as simple as that.

I, Obiagu1, the Lion Heart 1 of Igboland, I endorse this message.
Re: Awo And The Creation Of States [1987] By Ken Saro Wiwa by seanet02: 7:12pm On Jul 20, 2011
Dede1:

The pair of jason123 and alj harem is professed and illogical clown on this forum.
Dede1, You only like Lashing other tribes even when you see the brazen show of stvpidity by ezeuche, chino and co. This is something that makes Katsumoto and Dayokanu stands out as above you. Did you know the number of times Katsumoto have scolded me here, many times but as Mature and Intelligent as you Partiality is your proble.
I still hold you in High esteem shao
Re: Awo And The Creation Of States [1987] By Ken Saro Wiwa by EzeUche(m): 8:05pm On Jul 20, 2011
Onlytruth:

ChinenyeN - Special Adviser on Nigerian National Affairs  cool (can't go wrong with this dude walahi)
Chyz- Special Adviser on Strategic Thinking  cool (knows more about Nigeria than all Igbo I've seen on this site)
Ezeuche -Commander of Special forces!  cool (Act first and ask questions later)

Hopefully you and ChinenyeN could defend my actions. grin
Re: Awo And The Creation Of States [1987] By Ken Saro Wiwa by seanet02: 8:17pm On Jul 20, 2011
Keep giving yourself cheap scores
Re: Awo And The Creation Of States [1987] By Ken Saro Wiwa by T9ksy(m): 8:32pm On Jul 20, 2011
Onlytruth:

ChinenyeN - Special Adviser on Nigerian National Affairs  cool (can't go wrong with this dude walahi)
Chyz- Special Adviser on Strategic Thinking  cool (knows more about Nigeria than all Igbo I've seen on this site)
Ezeuche -Commander of Special forces!  cool (Act first and ask questions later). . . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . .You mean ACT FIRST and then WHINE later when you get your silly ar.se spanked AGAIN like an obdurate kid.
Re: Awo And The Creation Of States [1987] By Ken Saro Wiwa by Onlytruth(m): 9:00pm On Jul 20, 2011
Posted by: T9ksy

You mean ACT FIRST and then WHINE later when you get your silly ar.se spanked AGAIN like an obdurate kid.

I just remembered that this !d!0t is on my ignore list. mscheeeeeew! Steps over the piece of $hit.
Re: Awo And The Creation Of States [1987] By Ken Saro Wiwa by Onlytruth(m): 9:13pm On Jul 20, 2011
Posted by: EzeUche

Hopefully you and ChinenyeN could defend my actions.

Of course. Onye siri nwata ya jide nkapi, o ga enye ya miri o ga eji kwo aka. cool
Every great nation needs your type.
Re: Awo And The Creation Of States [1987] By Ken Saro Wiwa by mafifle: 10:05pm On Jul 20, 2011
I now know why the igbos did not stop the dangling of Saro Wiwas abiku body by his nigerian collaborators.
May be in his next life he will realise that Ojukwu mearnt well than Awo.
Re: Awo And The Creation Of States [1987] By Ken Saro Wiwa by ektbear: 10:46pm On Jul 20, 2011
Hehe.

Jason123, I commend you for this post. An unfortunate thing about NL and Nigeria in general is that it is quite difficult for the voices of the Eastern minority groups to be heard.

However, Ken Saro Wiwa has spoken, and spoken loudly.

He who has ears, let him hear!
Re: Awo And The Creation Of States [1987] By Ken Saro Wiwa by dempeople(m): 11:11pm On Jul 20, 2011
Very interesting thread. I'm all eyes.
Re: Awo And The Creation Of States [1987] By Ken Saro Wiwa by ChinenyeN(m): 11:26pm On Jul 20, 2011
hmm. . . Is it just me, or has anyone else taken note on what an Ogoni had to say about the Ijo? People are here worrying about Igbo. These rightfully positioned minorities did this to themselves.
Re: Awo And The Creation Of States [1987] By Ken Saro Wiwa by Ibime(m): 11:32pm On Jul 20, 2011
vicenzo:

What made the eastern minorities to think that the the north and the west would be of any help to them, still beats me,what these people fail to understand is that ndiigbo is their big brother,nobody takes them serious without their big brother,all the yoruba and the north needed to do,in order to exploit them,was to remove the influence of this big brother,then they became vulnerable to the vultures,saro wiwa realized this late,hence his plea for igbo's help, but he failed to realize that he and his kind,had since rendered ndiigbo incapable of protecting the eastern minorities.

Pure nonsense.

The minorities of the Mid-western region had leaned on the Igbo for help to break away from Yoruba domination. . . and all that minorities in the former Eastern Region wanted was to break away from Igbo domination since 1930.

No peoples in Nigeria are de-tribalised so every minority would always be oppressed by the majority.

When my great uncle built the Rivers State College of Arts and Craft, he put an Igbo man called Mr Mbonu as a non-executive director on his board. He built his school on virgin land in D-line and sent papers to Enugu for the naming of the road. Guess what they called the road? Mbonu street. . . . after the non-executive director! This is just an example of the individual indignities minorities suffered which coalesced into a collective revulsion or "fear of Igbo domination."

Our elders who grew up in the 1930s are not silly. They knew the reality on the ground, not this "inclusive Igbo" revisionism you guys are giving us now. No tribe in Nigeria, nay Africa, is not nepotistic.

Please ask Ojukwu what deals he struck with the minorities before the war. The white man made "Eastern Region" and you suddenly think Eastern Region is your birthright to take as you see fit? Ijaws and co have been fighting against these white man contraptions called "Eastern Region" and "Nigeria" since the 1940s. If Ojukwu can ride roughshod over his fellow Igbo officers in the army, almost all of whom complain about his authoritarian style, what makes you think his "undiplomatic" approach would entice the minorities. . . when he tells them that things under Eastern region will be the same as in Nigeria (meanwhile Nigeria are offering Rivers State to the minorities)?

As for the person who highlighted the names of divisional Governors in the old Eastern Region as "proof" of Federalism, such person's education was a waste. Is the Governor of Jos not a Jos man today? Is the local councillor of Wakirike Local Government Area not an Okrika man today? What does that have to do with Federalism?

The arrogance of Ndigbo in political matters is their undoing. Ndigbo have never ruled anybody before the white man came, hence they lack experience in Governance and compromise. I dont blame them, its a steep learning curve.
Re: Awo And The Creation Of States [1987] By Ken Saro Wiwa by Onlytruth(m): 11:41pm On Jul 20, 2011
Posted by: Ibime

Pure nonsense.

The minorities of the Mid-western region had leaned on the Igbo for help to break away from Yoruba domination. . . and all that minorities in the former Eastern Region wanted was to break away from Igbo domination since 1930.

No peoples in Nigeria are de-tribalised so every minority would always be oppressed by the majority.

When my great uncle built the Rivers State College of Arts and Craft, he put an Igbo man called Mr Mbonu as a non-executive director on his board. He built his school on virgin land in D-line and sent papers to Enugu for the naming of the road. Guess what they called the road? Mbonu street. . . . after the non-executive director! This is just an example of the individual indignities minorities suffered which coalesced into a collective revulsion or "fear of Igbo domination."

Our elders who grew up in the 1930s are not silly. They knew the reality on the ground, not this "inclusive Igbo" revisionism you guys are giving us now. No tribe in Nigeria, nay Africa, is not nepotistic.

Please ask Ojukwu what deals he struck with the minorities before the war. The white man made "Eastern Region" and you suddenly think Eastern Region is your birthright to take as you see fit? Ijaws and co have been fighting against these white man contraptions called "Eastern Region" and "Nigeria" since the 1940s. If Ojukwu can ride roughshod over his fellow Igbo officers in the army, almost all of whom complain about his authoritarian style, what makes you think his "undiplomatic" approach would entice the minorities. . . when he tells them that things under Eastern region will be the same as in Nigeria (meanwhile Nigeria are offering Rivers State to the minorities)?

As for the person who highlighted the names of divisional Governors in the old Eastern Region as "proof" of Federalism, such person's education was a waste. Is the Governor of Jos not a Jos man today? Is the local councillor of Wakirike Local Government Area not an Okrika man today? What does that have to do with Federalism?

The arrogance of Ndigbo in political matters is their undoing. Ndigbo have never ruled anybody before the white man came, hence they lack experience in Governance and compromise. I dont blame them, its a steep learning curve.

Actually you are right because I found out that because of that arrogance, we think we can save ourselves, talk less of minorities from the Nigerian dungeon politics. We should be working with Yorubas and Hausas to learn from them how not to be arrogant.
We are learning now though, abeg no vex.
Problem is that the resources are not waiting for anyone's "learning curve". It will soon deplete.  cool
Re: Awo And The Creation Of States [1987] By Ken Saro Wiwa by ektbear: 11:44pm On Jul 20, 2011
Hehe. What KSW and Ibime are saying is both obvious to anyone who thinks about it and isn't clouded by personal interest. Why would anyone want to be ruled by other man, especially in a case in which most of the resources of the state are on his land?

These Igbo attempts to shout down the minorities in their midst aren't going to work.

May the minorities of the Eastern Region never be silenced.
Re: Awo And The Creation Of States [1987] By Ken Saro Wiwa by Onlytruth(m): 11:49pm On Jul 20, 2011
Posted by: ekt_bear

Hehe. What KSW and Ibime are saying is both obvious to anyone who thinks about it and isn't clouded by personal interest. Why would anyone want to be ruled by other man, especially in a case in which most of the resources of the state are on his land?

These Igbo attempts to shout down the minorities in their midst aren't going to work.

May the minorities of the Eastern Region never be silenced.

You are already ruling him in his land because your people own huge quantities of oilfields in his land. Even the oil companies are controlled by your people and their headquarters are in Lagos, not Abonema.

The louder they shout, the more you smile to the bank.

Gotta join you though.
Re: Awo And The Creation Of States [1987] By Ken Saro Wiwa by ChinenyeN(m): 12:01am On Jul 21, 2011
I want these minorities to continue shouting their predicament to the world.
Re: Awo And The Creation Of States [1987] By Ken Saro Wiwa by ektbear: 12:03am On Jul 21, 2011
The Yoruba are not the owner of the Anglo-Dutch oil company Shell (though obviously I wish this were otherwise  grin ) Nobody forced Shell to locate their Nigerian headquarters in Lagos. Presumably they chose to do this of their own free will. It isn't as if Southern Nigeria is a huge piece of land, or it takes much time to travel by plane/copter/etc from Lagos to the ND. . . so there is no particular logistic reason why they would by force locate their headquarters there.

Regarding "own huge quantities of oilfields in his land", for most of those blocks, the private sector guy is has a junior share relative to NNPC. NNPC is what represents the interest of the indigenes, and is what under ordinary circumstances should be controlled by them. Even if today NNPC were handed over to the indigenes of the land, they would still look for private sector partners (just as almost all national oil companies I know of on earth, including Petrobras, Saudi Aramco, etc do).

Now, let's examine the issue of corruption with these indigenous oil companies. Take the recent Diezani Alison-Madueke/Seven Energy scandal. Is your Igbo brother Phillip Ihenacho not chairman of that company? Admittedly, there is a Yorubaman who is equally prominent in the firm.

But your attempts to pretend to be innocent of the corruption in the Nigerian oil sector are at best laughable.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

PDP, ANPP, Slam Okorocha For Closing Schools, Markets For Birthday / Who Writes President Jonathan's Speeches? / INEC Retains Smart Card Reader, Incidence Form

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.