Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,254 members, 7,811,706 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 05:43 PM

Awo And The Creation Of States [1987] By Ken Saro Wiwa - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Awo And The Creation Of States [1987] By Ken Saro Wiwa (10841 Views)

Ken Saro-Wiwa And 8 Other Ogonis Were Executed On 10th November, 1995 / Tinubu Praises Awo And Other African Statesmen / Matthew Mbu On Tribalism, Awo And The North- A Must Read Interview (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Awo And The Creation Of States [1987] By Ken Saro Wiwa by ektbear: 4:35am On Jul 20, 2011
Ken Saro-Wiwa said what should now be obvious to all.

Biafra was nothing more than a scheme to turn a region as poor as the north in 1960 into a wealthy land. . . all on the back of minority groups who'd probably prefer to control their own resources rather than having 'em stolen by the Igbo man.

Is this not the pure truth?

May God save the Eastern minorities from Igbo oppression cry cry cry

[size=4pt]i dey laff o :-) [/size]
Re: Awo And The Creation Of States [1987] By Ken Saro Wiwa by jason123: 4:36am On Jul 20, 2011
henry101:

There are people who are Igbo who never wanted or supported Biafra?
When you guys say minorities were never involved, I wonder where you get the stories from.
Who provided the name Biafra? Who was the second in command to Ojukwu. Their alliance was divided and never full. Do you know otueke in bayelsa fought for Biafra? Same for other minorities too.
Igbo this and Igbo that will choke some or more people one day.
I mean an Ogoni man. Basically, you expect an Ijaw to speak for an Ogoni or what?? And, even if he wanted Biafra, what was the average Ogoni man thinking?? Those are, to me, the right questions . . . undecided

Chyz*:

Saro-Wiwa was not the voice of the Ogonis. Making that claim makes him no different than Ojukwu in respect to his claim of a so-called "overlord" by Saro-wiwa. The guy  was a fool. He says Igbo wanted to dominate is people in Biafra, then he turns around and says the Ijaw try to dominate his people in his state while in nigeria.  undecided

@ First highlighted
This is subjective. If we dabble into that, we will never end the argument.

@ The rest
He is not as much as the Igbos or the Ijaws. The think the population of the Ogonis was 500 000 back then compared to the millions of Igbos and Ijaws.
Re: Awo And The Creation Of States [1987] By Ken Saro Wiwa by Nobody: 4:36am On Jul 20, 2011
Biafra was shown, but why was Saro-Wiwa the only one respected in the video? shocked tongue Biafra was only shown to show how war-like and unsettled NIgeria was/is. That's what the whole video is about.

Even Awo is being respected all over. Na wetin?

Henry1, oya come and answer o.  angry
Re: Awo And The Creation Of States [1987] By Ken Saro Wiwa by alex101(m): 4:38am On Jul 20, 2011
In this article, it was stated clearly that LAGOS WAS BUILT WITH OIL MONEY, just like ABUJA WAS.

Therefore, awolowo cannot be given credit, because the so called cocoa money from the old western region could not had paid for the 3rd mainland bridge. These minorities of the old eastern region,,,I greet una good morning o! cool The yorubas and their hausa/fulani masters could not believe their luck sad.
Re: Awo And The Creation Of States [1987] By Ken Saro Wiwa by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 4:38am On Jul 20, 2011
Jenifa_:

Ken Saro Wiwa must be rolling in his grave
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-700671.0.html

Ignorance is bliss but in your own case let me educate u. The Rivers State we are talking about in Ken Saro Wiwa dayz is no longer in existence because the Ijaws have now been given their own state Bayalsa. so ur link is just out of point. As Igbos are the main group in present rivers with ijaw settlers on our coastal front.
Re: Awo And The Creation Of States [1987] By Ken Saro Wiwa by jason123: 4:38am On Jul 20, 2011
Bliss4Lyfe:

Small lie. Awolowo sold the south for southeast oil money used to develop the southwest but the greedy north would only settle for Lagos whilst the rest was used up North.

How Can you back up your claim

ekt_bear:

Ken Saro-Wiwa said what should now be obvious to all.

Biafra was nothing more than a scheme to turn a region as poor as the north in 1960 into a wealthy land. . . all on the back of minority groups who'd probably prefer to control their own resources rather than having 'em stolen by the Igbo man.

Is this not the pure truth?

May God save the Eastern minorities from Igbo oppression cry cry cry

[size=4pt]i dey laff o :-) [/size]

Dapo, please contribute positively and let's not derail this thread. Thnks wink
Re: Awo And The Creation Of States [1987] By Ken Saro Wiwa by henry101(m): 4:38am On Jul 20, 2011
Jenifa_:

Ken Saro Wiwa must be rolling in his grave
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-700671.0.html

Hahaha, that thread starter was either becomrich or Alh Harem,
Thats what they do creating hate threads.

jason123:

I mean an Ogoni man. Basically, you expect an Ijaw to speak for an Ogoni or what?? And, even if he wanted Biafra, what was the average Ogoni man thinking?? Those are, to me, the right questions . . . undecided
@ First highlighted
This is subjective. If we dabble into that, we will never end the argument.

@ The rest
He is not as much as the Igbos or the Ijaws. The think the population of the Ogonis was 500 000 back then compared to the millions of Igbos and Ijaws.

There were ogonis who fought for Biafra, It's left for you as usual to find on google who they were,
Re: Awo And The Creation Of States [1987] By Ken Saro Wiwa by Nobody: 4:39am On Jul 20, 2011
alex101:

In this article, it was stated clearly that LAGOS WAS BUILT WITH OIL MONEY, just like ABUJA WAS.

Therefore, awolowo cannot be given credit, because the so called cocoa money from the old western region could not had paid for the 3rd mainland bridge. These minorities of the old eastern region,,,I greet una good morning o! cool The yorubas and their hausa/fulani masters could not believe their luck sad.

We're talking about Awo and Saro-Wiwa, this one is talking about cocoa money. Talk about Nigeria's roller coaster education ride.
Re: Awo And The Creation Of States [1987] By Ken Saro Wiwa by ektbear: 4:40am On Jul 20, 2011
Hehe

Alex101 and Bliss4lyfe running from pillar to post.

Let me repost:

Ojukwu's dishonest formulations and his attempt to kidnap the Ogoni, among others, into his Igbo empire called "biafra."

Face Saro Wiwa's accusation!  grin
Re: Awo And The Creation Of States [1987] By Ken Saro Wiwa by EzeUche(m): 4:42am On Jul 20, 2011
ekt_bear:

Hehe

Let me repost:

The same man who feared an "Igbo Empire" was the same person begging for their support to spare his life.

Chickens coming home to roost?
Re: Awo And The Creation Of States [1987] By Ken Saro Wiwa by Chyz2: 4:43am On Jul 20, 2011
jason123:

He went back to his NEIGHBOURS (Igbos are closer to him than the Yorubas geographically) to NEGOTIATE. You must understand that at that time, it was like Ojukwu wanted to FORCEFULLY include them in Biafra WITHOUT their permission. Hence, he took the "anti-Igbo" stance.

But hate Igbo?? I really doubt it. If Hausas should forcefully include, let's say, Tiv in Arewa without negotiations. The Tivs will have the same stance Saro did.

No he went back to Igbos because of regret. He finally understood that he jumped the gun and that he was wrong. Neighbor? Because geographically we are closer? haha. . .If he had the money during and after war time to fly to all of those Western cities then location was never a problem. He could have taken himself to the yorubas and stayed away from the Big Ban Igbos.

He wanted true federalism, which he would have gotten had Biafra been a country. Take a look:

BIAFRA’S PROVINCES & ADMINISTRATORS

Aba

Mr. Moses Onwuma*

Abakaliki

Mr. Samuel Mgbada

Annang

Chief Ekukinam Bassey

Awka

Mr. Paul Nwokedi

Calabar

Prof.  Eyo Bassey Ndem

Degema

Mr. S. N. Dikibo

Eket

Mr. S. J. Edoho

Enugu

Mr. Christian Chukwuma Onoh

Nsukka

Mr. Frank Onyeke

Ogoja

Mr. Frank Ugbut

Oji River

Dr. Godwin A. Odenigwe

Okigwe

Mr. Sam I. Mbakwe

Onitsha

Mr. R. I. Iweka

Opobo

Dr. S. J. Cookey

Orlu

Mr. R. I. Uzoma

Owerri

Mr. Duke Njiribeakor

Port Harcourt

Mr. Emmanuel Aguma

Umuahia

Mr. Simeon Ojukwu

Uyo

Chief J. Udo-Affiah

Yenegoa

Chief Frank Opigo

http://www.kwenu.com/biafra/biafra.htm

Every province was headed by the tribal people of that province, true federalism.
Re: Awo And The Creation Of States [1987] By Ken Saro Wiwa by aljharem3: 4:43am On Jul 20, 2011
Bliss4Lyfe:

Ignorance is bliss but in your own case let me educate u. The Rivers State we are talking about in Ken Saro Wiwa dayz is no longer in existence because the Ijaws have now been given their own state Bayalsa. so your link is just out of point. As Igbos are the main group in present rivers with ijaw settlers on our coastal front.

very ignorant statment

why not leave london and tell a rivers man that rivers state is majority no minority igbo and see if u do not get burnt alive

what ijaw settlers, they are indigenes of the state, igbos are the settlers here

educate urself bliss
Re: Awo And The Creation Of States [1987] By Ken Saro Wiwa by jason123: 4:44am On Jul 20, 2011
alex101:

Another fabrication. Being carted away can simply mean that the governement (FG) Lagos was corrupt and they embezzled money . . .SMH

Bliss4Lyfe:

Ignorance is bliss but in your own case let me educate u. The Rivers State we are talking about in Ken Saro Wiwa dayz is no longer in existence because the Ijaws have now been given their own state Bayalsa. so your link is just out of point. As Igbos are the main group in present rivers with ijaw settlers on our coastal front.
Can you please shed more light on this?
Re: Awo And The Creation Of States [1987] By Ken Saro Wiwa by ektbear: 4:45am On Jul 20, 2011
The same true federalism Ojukwu rejected for the minorities? grin grin grin

Was he not the one who said that their status would remain the same as it was before Biafra? I.e., no separate states, as they demanded in the 50s and as documented in the Willinks Report?

Which the Eastern Region vigorously fought against until Gowon created them?

I dey laff o
Re: Awo And The Creation Of States [1987] By Ken Saro Wiwa by jason123: 4:47am On Jul 20, 2011
Chyz*:

No he went back to Igbos because of regret. He finally understood that he jumped the gun and that he was wrong. Neighbor? Because geographically we are closer? haha. . .If he had the money during and after war time to fly to all of those Western cities then location was never a problem. He could have taken himself to the yorubas and stayed away from the Big Ban Igbos.

He wanted true federalism, which he would have gotten had Biafra been a country. Take a look:

Aba

Mr. Moses Onwuma*

Abakaliki

Mr. Samuel Mgbada

Annang

Chief Ekukinam Bassey

Awka

Mr. Paul Nwokedi

Calabar

Prof.  Eyo Bassey Ndem

Degema

Mr. S. N. Dikibo

Eket

Mr. S. J. Edoho

Enugu

Nsukka

Mr. Frank Onyeke

Ogoja

Mr. Frank Ugbut

Oji River

Dr. Godwin A. Odenigwe

Okigwe

Mr. Sam I. Mbakwe

Onitsha

Mr. R. I. Iweka

Opobo

Dr. S. J. Cookey

Orlu

Mr. R. I. Uzoma

Owerri

Mr. Duke Njiribeakor

Port Harcourt

Mr. Emmanuel Aguma

Umuahia

Mr. Simeon Ojukwu

Uyo

Chief J. Udo-Affiah

Yenegoa

Chief Frank Opigo

Every province was headed by the tribal people of that province, true federalism.

This is the first time I am hearing about Federalism and Biafra in the same sentence. How come people did not know this before
Re: Awo And The Creation Of States [1987] By Ken Saro Wiwa by alex101(m): 4:47am On Jul 20, 2011
ONE THING IS FOR SURE, IF THE MILITANTS' STRUGGLE EVER LEAD TO A FULL BLOWN WAR, THEN THESE MINORITIES MUST ASK THE YORUBAS FOR HELP SINCE THEY REVERE AWOLOWO, FOR NDIGBO WILL EVER REMAIN NEUTRAL IN ANY ARM CONFLICT IN THE NIGERIAN DUNGEON
Re: Awo And The Creation Of States [1987] By Ken Saro Wiwa by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 4:48am On Jul 20, 2011
alj_harem:

very ignorant statment

why not leave london and tell a rivers man that rivers state is majority no minority igbo and see if u do not get burnt alive

what ijaw settlers, they are indigenes of the state, igbos are the settlers here

educate urself bliss

Total nonsense!! Even in Bayalsa State Igbiod comes into it. With regards to Rivers State, the land mass is occupied by the Igbos and the Ijaws are coastal dealers  on the water fronts. Do the maths.
Re: Awo And The Creation Of States [1987] By Ken Saro Wiwa by EzeUche(m): 4:49am On Jul 20, 2011
Good job Bliss4Lyfe. cool
Re: Awo And The Creation Of States [1987] By Ken Saro Wiwa by Chyz2: 4:50am On Jul 20, 2011
ekt_bear:

Was he not the one who said that their status would remain the same as it was before Biafra? I.e., no separate states, as they demanded in the 50s and as documented in the Willinks Report?

I dey laff o

Don't go talking about something you know nothing about. Do yourself that favor. Was Ojukwu even heading the Eastern region in the 50s? Lol. . .

"Which the Eastern Region vigorously fought against until Gowon created them?"

Weren't the minorities part of the Eastern Region, so how does this(^^^) even make sense? So according to you, the minorities also fought against true federalism,  lol. Wake up.
Re: Awo And The Creation Of States [1987] By Ken Saro Wiwa by EzeUche(m): 4:50am On Jul 20, 2011
Chyz*:

Aba

Mr. Moses Onwuma*

Abakaliki

Mr. Samuel Mgbada

Annang

Chief Ekukinam Bassey

Awka

Mr. Paul Nwokedi

Calabar

Prof.  Eyo Bassey Ndem

Degema

Mr. S. N. Dikibo

Eket

Mr. S. J. Edoho

Enugu

Nsukka

Mr. Frank Onyeke

Ogoja

Mr. Frank Ugbut

Oji River

Dr. Godwin A. Odenigwe

Okigwe

Mr. Sam I. Mbakwe

Onitsha

Mr. R. I. Iweka

Opobo

Dr. S. J. Cookey

Orlu

Mr. R. I. Uzoma

Owerri

Mr. Duke Njiribeakor

Port Harcourt

Mr. Emmanuel Aguma

Umuahia

Mr. Simeon Ojukwu

Uyo

Chief J. Udo-Affiah

Yenegoa

Chief Frank Opigo

This deserves a repost. The minorities would have been free in Biafra.
Re: Awo And The Creation Of States [1987] By Ken Saro Wiwa by jason123: 4:51am On Jul 20, 2011
ekt_bear:

I dey laff o

Can you post it??

@ Ezeuche and Onlytruth

I can see that your pride will not allow you to admit that what I typed on that thread was right. Well, its all good! smiley wink cool
Re: Awo And The Creation Of States [1987] By Ken Saro Wiwa by aljharem3: 4:52am On Jul 20, 2011
Bliss4Lyfe:

Total nonsense!! Even in Bayalsa State Igbiod comes into it. With regards to Rivers State, the land mass is occupied by the Igbos and the Ijaws are coastal dealers  on the water fronts. Do the maths.

PLEASE I BEG YOU SAY THIS IN BALYSEA OR RIVERS STATE

PLEASE BIKO do it

the only igboid group in rivers is ikwerri and they are not claiming igbo, until proven otherwise
Re: Awo And The Creation Of States [1987] By Ken Saro Wiwa by EzeUche(m): 4:54am On Jul 20, 2011
alj_harem:

PLEASE BIKO do it

the only igboid group in rivers is ikwerri and they are not claiming igbo, until proven otherwise

PLEASE SHUT UP!

What about Ndoki?

What about Etche?

What about Ndoni?

What about Egbama?

What about Ogba?
Re: Awo And The Creation Of States [1987] By Ken Saro Wiwa by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 4:55am On Jul 20, 2011
alj_harem:

PLEASE BIKO do it

Do u even know my state of origin and wat makes u think, i can't say this in Rivers?
Re: Awo And The Creation Of States [1987] By Ken Saro Wiwa by aljharem3: 4:55am On Jul 20, 2011
another topic entirly ezeuche abd bliss4lye
Re: Awo And The Creation Of States [1987] By Ken Saro Wiwa by jason123: 4:56am On Jul 20, 2011
Guys, let's not digress!!!
Re: Awo And The Creation Of States [1987] By Ken Saro Wiwa by jason123: 4:57am On Jul 20, 2011
alj_harem:

another topic entirly ezeuche abd bliss4lye
Thanks for that.
Re: Awo And The Creation Of States [1987] By Ken Saro Wiwa by aljharem3: 4:57am On Jul 20, 2011
Bliss4Lyfe:

Do u even know my state of origin and wat makes u think, i can't say this in Rivers?

even if ur state of orgin is rivers state does not mean rivers state is igbo state

a guy can here and said his state of origin is ondo but he is igbo does that make ondo an igbo state undecided

another topic entirly
Re: Awo And The Creation Of States [1987] By Ken Saro Wiwa by alex101(m): 4:57am On Jul 20, 2011
ekt_bear:

Hehe

Let me repost:

Bliss4Lyfe:

ekt_bear, did you see the qoute below:
[b]With the war ended, and as a Commissioner in Rivers State, I soon found that the Rivers State for which I had fought did not end my nightmare. In the first place, oil money from Ogoni country (as well as Ijaw country) was being carted away to Lagos, leaving the Ogoni illiterate and backward.[/b]
Re: Awo And The Creation Of States [1987] By Ken Saro Wiwa by Chyz2: 4:57am On Jul 20, 2011
jason123:

This is the first time I am hearing about Federalism and Biafra in the same sentence. How come people did not know this before

They new this before. Its even on recording(audio) and paper. Biafra was set up in the same vain as the Easterners lived in their land traditionally, no king. All is for his own. Parliamentary system. Saro-wiwa was just an average joe who didn't know much. As you can see from his write up, he not only feared "Igbo domination" but "Ijaw(the biggest of the minority in his area) domination". That was where his ignorance messed him up.
Re: Awo And The Creation Of States [1987] By Ken Saro Wiwa by jason123: 4:58am On Jul 20, 2011
@ Ezeuche
Does this prove my point about Azikwe, Awolowo and Bello
Re: Awo And The Creation Of States [1987] By Ken Saro Wiwa by bashr4: 4:58am On Jul 20, 2011
alj_harem:

PLEASE BIKO do it

ode you didnt see where sarowiwa even mention that his local govt tai and eleme are hybrid of igbo ijaw and ogoni which me myself didnt even know. i thought tai and eleme where only ogoni , i dey laugh ooo, anyways old rivers state was bayelsa and rivers and ijaws where majority then but since bayelsa was created the igbos are now the majority in rivers with over 12 local govt out of the 23 lga. 4 others are hybrids and minorities in bayelsa state .
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-700671.96.html

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Boko Haram Sends Letter Offering Dialogue / President Buhari Gives N1000 To Prisoners In Kano After Releasing Them (Photos) / Ibrahim Hadejia: N128 Billion 2020 NASS Budget Shrouded In Secrecy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.