Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,272 members, 7,811,802 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 07:51 PM

Awo And The Creation Of States [1987] By Ken Saro Wiwa - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Awo And The Creation Of States [1987] By Ken Saro Wiwa (10843 Views)

Ken Saro-Wiwa And 8 Other Ogonis Were Executed On 10th November, 1995 / Tinubu Praises Awo And Other African Statesmen / Matthew Mbu On Tribalism, Awo And The North- A Must Read Interview (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Awo And The Creation Of States [1987] By Ken Saro Wiwa by Ibime(m): 12:07am On Jul 21, 2011
Onlytruth:

Posted by: Ibime
Actually you are right because I found out that because of that arrogance, we think we can save ourselves, talk less of minorities from the Nigerian dungeon politics. We should be working with Yorubas and Hausas to learn from them how not to be arrogant.
We are learning now though, abeg no vex.
Problem is that the resources are not waiting for anyone's "learning curve". It will soon deplete.  cool

Fools consolation.

You have proven to us before that Ndigbo has the most on-shore oil blocks in Nigeria. Who owns your oil blocks?  cool

The fact is this. It is not the prerogative of the majority to claim that minorities get fair treatment under them as NL revisionists would have us believe. The majority has no say in the matter. It is the minority who would tell you if they are being dominated or not.

In the UK, the English have no say in whether the Scottish believe they are fairly represented. The Scots have their own parliaments and can raise referendum on the issue whenever they like. It is entirely their call.

Even Saro-Wiwa said Ogoni was oppressed by Ijaw. He is correct cos that is the nature of African societies.

Meanwhile some bovine-brained NL warriors are trying to force down our throats the lie that they are equitable partners in Eastern Nigeria, whilst still talking down to us as overlords. Some are even making mockery of their education by posting names of Divisonal Governors as proof of "Federalism".  grin

As for my nuclear family, we are proponents of Biafra, but I cannot blame any minority in the Eastern Region for fighting against Biafra, being that that was the only and immediate Government they had had all their lives, and which they believe was inequitable. One may say they jumped from the Deep Blue Sea into the hands of the Devil, but when someone's life is only affected by his immediate Govt, he is inculpable for fighting the devil he knows.
Re: Awo And The Creation Of States [1987] By Ken Saro Wiwa by aljharem3: 12:20am On Jul 21, 2011
Ibime:

Fools consolation.

You have proven to us before that Ndigbo has the most on-shore oil blocks in Nigeria. Who owns your oil blocks?  cool

The fact is this. It is not the prerogative of the majority to claim that minorities get fair treatment under them as NL revisionists would have us believe. The majority has no say in the matter. It is the minority who would tell you if they are being dominated or not.

In the UK, the English have no say in whether the Scottish believe they are fairly represented. The Scots have their own parliaments and can raise referendum on the issue whenever they like. It is entirely their call.

Even Saro-Wiwa said Ogoni was oppressed by Ijaw. He is correct cos that is the nature of African societies.

Meanwhile some bovine-brained NL warriors are trying to force down our throats the lie that they are equitable partners in Eastern Nigeria, whilst still talking down to us as overlords. Some are even making mockery of their education by posting names of Divisonal Governors as proof of "Federalism".  grin

As for my nuclear family, we are proponents of Biafra, but I cannot blame any minority in the Eastern Region for fighting against Biafra, being that that was the only and immediate Government they had had all their lives, and which they believe was inequitable. One may say they jumped from the Deep Blue Sea into the hands of the Devil, but when someone's life is only affected by his immediate Govt, he is inculpable for fighting the devil he knows.

thank u wink
Re: Awo And The Creation Of States [1987] By Ken Saro Wiwa by EzeUche(m): 12:26am On Jul 21, 2011
ChinenyeN:

I want these minorities to continue shouting their predicament to the world.

You are truly my brother now. cool
Re: Awo And The Creation Of States [1987] By Ken Saro Wiwa by aljharem3: 12:28am On Jul 21, 2011
EzeUche:

You are truly my brother now. cool

and my cousin now cool
Re: Awo And The Creation Of States [1987] By Ken Saro Wiwa by bikokwe(m): 12:29am On Jul 21, 2011
m
Re: Awo And The Creation Of States [1987] By Ken Saro Wiwa by EzeUche(m): 12:33am On Jul 21, 2011
Onlytruth:

Posted by: ekt_bear
You are already ruling him in his land because your people own huge quantities of oilfields in his land. Even the oil companies are controlled by your people and their headquarters are in Lagos, not Abonema.

The louder they shout, the more you smile to the bank.

Gotta join you though.

Why didn't we do this? Is it because we were playing big brother?
Re: Awo And The Creation Of States [1987] By Ken Saro Wiwa by Onlytruth(m): 12:33am On Jul 21, 2011
Posted by: Ibime

Fools consolation.

You have proven to us before that Ndigbo has the most on-shore oil blocks in Nigeria. Who owns your oil blocks?  

Even Saro-Wiwa said Ogoni was oppressed by Ijaw. [/b]He is correct cos that is the nature of African societies.

Meanwhile some bovine-brained NL warriors are trying to force down our throats the lie that they are equitable partners in Eastern Nigeria, whilst still talking down to us as overlords. Some are even making mockery of their education by posting names of Divisonal Governors as proof of "Federalism".  

As for my nuclear family, we are proponents of Biafra, [b]but I cannot blame any minority in the Eastern Region for fighting against Biafra, being that that was the only and immediate Government they had had all their lives, and which they believe was inequitable. One may say they jumped from the Deep Blue Sea into the hands of the Devil, but when someone's life is only affected by his immediate Govt, he is inculpable for fighting the devil he knows.

I believe that most of Nigeria's current oil production and exports come from minority areas and the sea. The deposits may be in Igboland, but most oil in core Igboland has been designated "strategic national reserve" (whatever that means).

About minorities fighting the so called devils (the Igbo), why are we even having this conversation?
We are having it because Ken Saro Wiwa regretted his actions at the point of death. He could never mend his foolishness. It was too late for him.

You may not know it, but one the most heated debates in Igboland is whether to mete out Ken Saro Wiwa treatement to other minorities if the opportunity comes again as I'm sure it definitively will in Nigeria.
I as an aspiring Igbo leader want to know whether I should throw you guys under the bus, the way some of you did.
This debate is still on going in Igboland as you can see the exchanges between Igbo guys here.

Of course that does not mean that minorities have no say in whatever we decide to do. Nobody is leading anybody by the nose.  We are all defending our interests.
Re: Awo And The Creation Of States [1987] By Ken Saro Wiwa by ChinenyeN(m): 12:37am On Jul 21, 2011
Onlytruth:

You may not know it, but one the most heated debates in Igboland is whether to mete out Ken Saro Wiwa treatement to other minorities if the opportunity comes again as I'm sure it definitively will in Nigeria.
I as an aspiring Igbo leader want to know whether I should throw you guys under the bus, the way some of you did.
This debate is still on going in Igboland as you can see the exchanges between Igbo guys here.
This debate has gone on long enough. Time to throw them under the bus.
Re: Awo And The Creation Of States [1987] By Ken Saro Wiwa by aljharem3: 12:37am On Jul 21, 2011
EzeUche:

Why didn't we do this? Is it because we were playing big brother?

shatapp with this ur big brother nonsense u are talking about

who gave igbos big brother

do you think u are better positioned than the average ibibio man or ogoni

rubbish
Re: Awo And The Creation Of States [1987] By Ken Saro Wiwa by ChinenyeN(m): 12:39am On Jul 21, 2011
These people are still going on with their fictitious 'big brother' nonsense. There has never been any such thing as 'big brother' in the east. EVERYONE should knows that.
Re: Awo And The Creation Of States [1987] By Ken Saro Wiwa by EzeUche(m): 12:43am On Jul 21, 2011
ChinenyeN:

These people are still going on with their fictitious 'big brother' nonsense. There has never been any such thing as 'big brother' in the east. EVERYONE should knows that.

Some of brethren wish to play big brother to these people. And the minorities haven't realized that they need one of the majorities to champion their cause. We Igbos have suffered long enough from their betrayal.
Re: Awo And The Creation Of States [1987] By Ken Saro Wiwa by ChinenyeN(m): 12:48am On Jul 21, 2011
Which brethren? Who are the foolish Igbo who believe that good things can come out of associating with SS in that sort of way?
Re: Awo And The Creation Of States [1987] By Ken Saro Wiwa by aljharem3: 12:56am On Jul 21, 2011
EzeUche:

Some of brethren wish to play big brother to these people. And the minorities haven't realized that they need [b]one of the majorities to champion their cause. [/b]We Igbos have suffered long enough from their betrayal.

just like kaunris now that produced abacha

just like Nupe that produced babagida

just like Gowon who was a non- hausa-fulani

jonathan an ijaw man too
get ur facts right

Nigeria has gone beyond this minority and majority crap
Re: Awo And The Creation Of States [1987] By Ken Saro Wiwa by EzeUche(m): 12:58am On Jul 21, 2011
EzeUche:

Some of brethren wish to play big brother to these people. And the minorities haven't realized that they need one of the majorities to champion their cause. We Igbos have suffered long enough from their betrayal.

You can read their post on this thread. I have always had a low opinion of some of the minorities of the Niger Delta.
Re: Awo And The Creation Of States [1987] By Ken Saro Wiwa by ChinenyeN(m): 1:00am On Jul 21, 2011
alj_harem:

jonathan an ijaw man too
get your facts right

Address this nonsense response to someone else, not EzeUche. His stance on SS is well known. So you'd know that he is not the person to address this crap to.
Re: Awo And The Creation Of States [1987] By Ken Saro Wiwa by aljharem3: 1:04am On Jul 21, 2011
ChinenyeN:

Address this nonsense response to someone else, not EzeUche. His stance on SS is well known. So you'd know that he is not the person to address this crap to.

vic ok
Re: Awo And The Creation Of States [1987] By Ken Saro Wiwa by ektbear: 1:05am On Jul 21, 2011
i dey laff o cheesy
Re: Awo And The Creation Of States [1987] By Ken Saro Wiwa by ChinenyeN(m): 1:12am On Jul 21, 2011
Nigeria should just hurry up and divide.
Re: Awo And The Creation Of States [1987] By Ken Saro Wiwa by aljharem3: 1:14am On Jul 21, 2011
ChinenyeN:

why should nigeria divide
Re: Awo And The Creation Of States [1987] By Ken Saro Wiwa by ChinenyeN(m): 1:15am On Jul 21, 2011
Because it is the only real decision. It is the only decision worth making.
Re: Awo And The Creation Of States [1987] By Ken Saro Wiwa by aljharem3: 1:19am On Jul 21, 2011
ChinenyeN:

Because it is the only real decision. It is the only decision worth making.

i disagree. all we need to do is understand each other
Re: Awo And The Creation Of States [1987] By Ken Saro Wiwa by ChinenyeN(m): 1:24am On Jul 21, 2011
'understand each other'. . I won't even entertain that nonsense. The only thing we need to understand is that division is a decision worth making.
Re: Awo And The Creation Of States [1987] By Ken Saro Wiwa by lagcity(m): 7:09am On Jul 21, 2011
the so called minorities are sick of this s.hit. ibo ppl are not big brother to anybody, infact the Ijaw man is ruling over ibo right now, which means ibo are now a minority. the ibos are very bitter that the "minorities" caught up to their trick and scream out loud b4 ibos got a chance to phock them well well.

to the "minorities": please do not believe that lie that you need the ibo, yoruba, or hausa. everyone is trying to grab what they can and your ppl will be a formidable force if they work together, forget the numbers. what have numbers done for the ibos? u see how we ignore their whining in Nigeria? don't be like the ibos. you can stand on your own.

jason: i really commend you for remaining civil and keeping your cool head when ibos were really annoying and patronising on the thread. i think u have figured them out, they are too emotional.

AS IT IS NOW, IT IS THE YORUBA, IBO, HAUSA, OGONI, IJAW, ETC ON HIS OWN. MAY THE BEST MAN WIN!

ps: if any of the ppls of the SS want to get on the development train of the SW, you are welcome as partners, not subordinates. We wish you well from Awo Republic.
Re: Awo And The Creation Of States [1987] By Ken Saro Wiwa by mathskill: 9:11am On Jul 21, 2011
ChinenyeN:

So you'l have a free hand in subjugating the minority tribes.The thing is no matter which way nigeria divides there will be intra fighting within the break away regions between local area tribes(LAT).just as evidenced from the bitterness exhibited btw individuals of different tribes on this forum.
Re: Awo And The Creation Of States [1987] By Ken Saro Wiwa by RoadStar: 9:50am On Jul 21, 2011
alj_harem:

jonathan an ijaw man too
get your facts right

Hmmmm ! Interesting fact .
Re: Awo And The Creation Of States [1987] By Ken Saro Wiwa by DaDoctor: 11:27am On Jul 21, 2011
KEN SARO WIWA AND 8 OGONI PEOPLE EXECUTED: BLOOD ON SHELL'S HANDS

London--10 November 1995--The blood of Ken Saro-Wiwa will permanently stain the name of Shell, Greenpeace said today in response to the news that Ken Saro-Wiwa and eight other Ogoni were, according to widespread rumours, hanged this morning in Port Harcourt, Nigeria.

"Ken Saro-Wiwa was hanged today for speaking out against the environmental damage to the Niger Delta caused by Shell Oil through its 37 years of drilling in the region. Ken Saro Wiwa was campaigning for what Greenpeace considers the most basic of human rights: the right for clean air, land and water. His only crime was his success in bringing his cause to international attention," said Thilo Bode, Executive Director of Greenpeace International.

Greenpeace warned that any protest in the Niger Delta today, non violent or otherwise, would likely be met with military force and further massacres. Bode appealed to General Sani Abacha to let the Ogoni people voice their grief without fear of violence and further deaths.

Shell's call for "quiet diplomacy" in the 11th hour following the confirmation of the death sentence by the Nigerian Ruling Council has a hollow ring. Shell had ample opportunity to demonstrate concern over the 17 months of Ken's incarceration and trial. They chose to maintain their cosy relationship with the military dictatorship to secure oil profits rather than condemn, the brutal and unjust arrest and later sentencing of non-violent environmental campaigners.

"If Shell and the Nigerian military think that the hanging of Saro-Wiwa has removed national and international outrage, they're wrong. Greenpeace today reaffirms its dedication to continue the campaign against environmental destruction by the oil industry," said Mr Bode.

In his closing address to the tribunal, Saro-Wiwa stated "I repeat that we all stand before history. I and my colleagues are not the only ones on trial. Shell is here on trial and it is as well that it is represented by counsel said to be holding a watching brief. The Company has, indeed, ducked this particular trial, but its day will surely come and the lessons learnt here may prove useful to it for there is no doubt in my mind that the ecological war that the Company has waged in the Delta will be called to question sooner than later and the crimes of that war be duly punished. The crime of the Company's dirty wars against the Ogoni people will also be punished."

"In my innocence of the false charges I face here, in my utter conviction, I call upon the Ogoni people, the peoples of the Niger delta, and the oppressed ethnic minorities of Nigeria to stand up now and fight fearlessly and peacefully for their rights. History is on their side. God is on their side. For the Holy Quran says in Sura 42, verse 41:"All those that fight when oppressed incur no guilt, but Allah shall punish the oppressor. Come the day."

Cindy Baxter, Greenpeace Communications
Re: Awo And The Creation Of States [1987] By Ken Saro Wiwa by DaDoctor: 11:32am On Jul 21, 2011
BUT OJUKWU WARNED KEN SARO WIWA, HE SUPPORTED THE NIJIRIANS, YET THEY KILLED HIM!
OJUKWUS WORD TO HIM IN BROAD DAY LIGHT 'SARO WIWA, GOOD MORNING'

HE IS A MENTOR THOUGH TO MANY LIKE ME!
RIP SARO WIWA

In 1990, Saro-Wiwa began devoting most of his time to human rights and environmental causes, particularly in Ogoniland. He was one of the earliest members of the Movement for the Survival of the Ogoni People (MOSOP), which advocated for the rights of the Ogoni people. The Ogoni Bill of Rights, written by MOSOP, set out the movement's demands, including increased autonomy for the Ogoni people, a fair share of the proceeds of oil extraction, and remediation of environmental damage to Ogoni lands. In particular, MOSOP struggled against the degradation of Ogoni lands by Shell oil company.

In 1992, Saro-Wiwa was imprisoned for several months, without trial, by the Nigerian military government.

Saro-Wiwa was Vice President of Unrepresented Nations and Peoples Organization (UNPO) General Assembly from 1993 to 1995. UNPO is an international, nonviolent, and democratic organisation (of which MOSOP is a member). Its members are indigenous peoples, minorities, and unrecognised or occupied territories who have joined together to protect and promote their human and cultural rights, to preserve their environments and to find nonviolent solutions to conflicts which affect them.

In January 1993, MOSOP organized peaceful marches of around 300,000 Ogoni people – more than half of the Ogoni population – through four Ogoni centers, drawing international attention to his people's plight. The same year the Nigerian government occupied the region militarily.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ken_Saro-Wiwa
Re: Awo And The Creation Of States [1987] By Ken Saro Wiwa by DaDoctor: 11:33am On Jul 21, 2011
A son of Ogoni chieftain Jim Wiwa, Ken was born in Bori, in the Niger Delta.[1] He spent his childhood in an Anglican home and eventually proved himself to be an excellent student,he attended Secondary School at Government College Umuahia and on completion obtained a scholarship to study English at the University of Ibadan and briefly became a teaching assistant at the University of Lagos.[2][3]

However, he soon took up a government post as the Civilian Administrator for the port city of Bonny in the Niger Delta, and during the Nigerian Civil War was a strong supporter of the federal cause against the Biafrans. His best known novel, Sozaboy: A Novel in Rotten English, tells the story of a naive village boy recruited to the army during the Nigerian Civil War of 1967 to 1970, and intimates the political corruption and patronage in Nigeria's military regime of the time. His war diaries, On a Darkling Plain, document Saro-Wiwa's experience during the war. Saro-Wiwa was also a successful businessman and television producer. His satirical television series, Basi & Co., is purported to have been one of the most watched soap operas in Africa, surpassed only by Jab Adu's The Village Headmaster and Claudius Eke's Masqurade.[citation needed]
Re: Awo And The Creation Of States [1987] By Ken Saro Wiwa by ChinenyeN(m): 4:19pm On Jul 21, 2011
Mathskills, you apparently are ignorant of my views/opinions on these 'minorities'. Address that nonsense you wrote to someone else.
Re: Awo And The Creation Of States [1987] By Ken Saro Wiwa by Dede1(m): 5:14pm On Jul 21, 2011
Ibime:

Fools consolation.

You have proven to us before that Ndigbo has the most on-shore oil blocks in Nigeria. Who owns your oil blocks?  cool

Meanwhile some bovine-brained NL warriors are trying to force down our throats the lie that they are equitable partners in Eastern Nigeria, whilst still talking down to us as overlords. Some are even making mockery of their education by posting names of Divisonal Governors as proof of "Federalism".  grin

Sometimes bros, you disappoint me big time. Even the people you termed stolid brain seem to be better tender of historical events than those who are condescendingly disingenuous with issues about eastern region of Nigeria and Biafra.

Granted there were stinking minorities who jumped ship while Biafrans fought Nigeria, there were staunch minorities who fought the war braver than majorities. Ojukwu did not consult with everybody in my province about the war but he consulted with the representatives including those from Degema, Ogoja, Opobo, Yenegoa, Calabar, Eket, Annang and Uyo. It is on record that during those consultative meetings a son of Ijo proposed the name-Biafra for eastern region.  I know a young Major from Sagbama who commanded 53rd Brigade of Biafran army who had the intent to recapture Port Harcourt in 1969 after overrunning Igrinta.

There was no former regional leader who wanted creation of region out of the existing three. Awolowo did everything in the books including ominous threats to certain royalties who supported the creation of Mid-western region. It is rather silly to read about irresponsible rant from loser such as Ken Saro Wiwa praising Awo on creation of states.

The first Nigerian republic was a democratic affair and people of eastern region did not sue to oppose such political ideals. Hence the first Mayor of Enugu was Hausa. Even the first leader of government in eastern region was a minority from Ibibio. In 1954 when some people in certain part of the country were swearing and dancing to certain tune of music about opposing non-son of the soil being leader in a section of the country, Zik appointed a Yoruba as the Press Secretary of eastern regional government. Ijo produced adequate representatives to the government of eastern region as evidenced in every election of the time. According to you, I did not think Melford Okilo would have been elected if Ndigbo were the final arbiter of the electoral process. 

War was fought, lost and won. Aftermath of the war shall always produce saboteurs and decenters who stand to curry favor from the victors. But remember that change, ironically, remains constant.
Re: Awo And The Creation Of States [1987] By Ken Saro Wiwa by Nobody: 5:54pm On Jul 21, 2011
ChinenyeN:

Mathskills, you apparently are ignorant of my views/opinions on these 'minorities'. Address that nonsense you wrote to someone else.
If this contraption divides, i believe any ethnic/tribal group (especially in d south) can go it alone.if we must go i with any group(s), we must hold a sovereign conference to decide how we want to live together
nobody can wake today to dominate anybody
@ chinenye, i see ezeuche and onlytruth have done a pretty good job bringing you in line.'throw them under the bus' abi? ezeuche even has a low opinion of us.when it's convinient to broach his case, his grandpa will be an annang
Re: Awo And The Creation Of States [1987] By Ken Saro Wiwa by ChinenyeN(m): 6:03pm On Jul 21, 2011
My particular conclusion has nothing to do with Onlytruth and EzeUche. They have their reasons for saying what they say, and I have mine.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Supreme Court Upholds Right of Female Child to Inherit Properties in Igboland / Ogbonnaya Onu Celebrates His 69th Birthday Today / LP Resorting To Masses’ Court, Says LP Campaign Spokesman, Yunusa Tanko

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.