Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,098 members, 7,811,083 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 10:54 PM

Awo And The Creation Of States [1987] By Ken Saro Wiwa - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Awo And The Creation Of States [1987] By Ken Saro Wiwa (10836 Views)

Ken Saro-Wiwa And 8 Other Ogonis Were Executed On 10th November, 1995 / Tinubu Praises Awo And Other African Statesmen / Matthew Mbu On Tribalism, Awo And The North- A Must Read Interview (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Awo And The Creation Of States [1987] By Ken Saro Wiwa by jason123: 4:10am On Jul 20, 2011
Chyz*:

This write up is not the complete version. Check out the bolded(the one I bolded). Would be good if you found it and posted it. wink

The bolded makes no sense. Another example of why the write up was cut short.

Chyz, I actually found the article in a Niger-delta website. It was left like that for some reason undecided
Re: Awo And The Creation Of States [1987] By Ken Saro Wiwa by bashr4: 4:11am On Jul 20, 2011
alj_harem:

very nice song BUT HOW DOES IT RELATE TO THE THREAD undecided

because she mentioned his name abi
Re: Awo And The Creation Of States [1987] By Ken Saro Wiwa by EzeUche(m): 4:12am On Jul 20, 2011
Was it not the same Ken Saro-Wiwa who mocked the Ndigbo with his radio programs daily? angry angry angry
Re: Awo And The Creation Of States [1987] By Ken Saro Wiwa by jason123: 4:13am On Jul 20, 2011
henry101:

It is new because you dig up threads that say all the negatives about the igbo to suit your lifestyle as a confused tribalist.
Thanks for the highlight. I confused my spelling as I was replying a lot of people at the same time.
About what you think about me, well, what can I say Can you name when last I brought out an Igbo thread except that of the MW and it was to counter the lies about us.
Re: Awo And The Creation Of States [1987] By Ken Saro Wiwa by alex101(m): 4:13am On Jul 20, 2011
Buyahayaya! grin Good for all these dumb minoroties of the old eastern region. Imagine saro wiwa saying he struck friendship with the likes of danjuma, obj, akinranade, sani bello when he visited the war front. Today, these names that are yoruba and hausa/fulni own the oil blocks in his ogoni land. I have no pity for this man or any of these minorities,,,,may their land continue to be pillaged and be polluted, nonsense! saro wiwa (name written in lower case on purpose), remain in hell!
Re: Awo And The Creation Of States [1987] By Ken Saro Wiwa by jason123: 4:13am On Jul 20, 2011
EzeUche:

Was it not the same Ken Saro-Wiwa who mocked the Ndigbo with his radio programs daily? angry angry angry
When was this?? During the war?
Re: Awo And The Creation Of States [1987] By Ken Saro Wiwa by Nobody: 4:14am On Jul 20, 2011
Aww so Nneka did not remember Ojukwu? tongue

Once the dude is dead, he wont be remembered outside of Igboland, that's how its looking o. Atleast Awolowo is still feared outside of SW NIgeria.
Re: Awo And The Creation Of States [1987] By Ken Saro Wiwa by aljharem3: 4:15am On Jul 20, 2011
bashr4:

because she mentioned his name abi

just the name but no info to the thread.ok
Re: Awo And The Creation Of States [1987] By Ken Saro Wiwa by aljharem3: 4:16am On Jul 20, 2011
alex101:

Buyahayaya! grin Good for all these dumb minoroties of the old eastern region. Imagine saro wiwa saying he struck friendship with the likes of danjuma, obj, akinranade, sani bello when he visited the war front. Today, these names that are yoruba and hausa/fulni own the oil blocks in his ogoni land. I have no pity for this man or any of these minorities,,,,may their land continue to be pillaged and be polluted, nonsense! saro wiwa (name written in lower case on purpose), remain in hell!

dude, they own no oil block in OGONILAND. this is the Ocean and not land

learn to reseach
Re: Awo And The Creation Of States [1987] By Ken Saro Wiwa by bashr4: 4:17am On Jul 20, 2011
alex101:

Buyahayaya! grin Good for all these dumb minoroties of the old eastern region. Imagine saro wiwa saying he struck friendship with the likes of danjuma, obj, akinranade, sani bello when he visited the war front. Today, these names that are yoruba and hausa/fulni own the oil blocks in his ogoni land. I have no pity for this man or any of this minorities,,,,may their land continue to be pillaged and be polluted, nonsense! saro wiwa (name written in lower case on purpose), remain in hell!

you dont have to be harsh about that , insult the man but not the new generation ogoni people that had nothing to do with it.

back to topic , now we know it was ken sarowiwa that sold ogoniland to danjuma obj and co, i ised to think the FG took it by force.
Re: Awo And The Creation Of States [1987] By Ken Saro Wiwa by jason123: 4:17am On Jul 20, 2011
alex101:

Buyahayaya! grin Good for all these dumb minoroties of the old eastern region. Imagine saro wiwa saying he struck friendship with the likes of danjuma, obj, akinranade, sani bello when he visited the war front. Today, these names that are yoruba and hausa/fulni own the oil blocks in his ogoni land. I have no pity for this man or any of this minorities,,,,may their land continue to be pillaged and be polluted, nonsense! saro wiwa (name written in lower case on purpose), remain in hell!

I hope you know that what you just did can be equivalent to when people also insult Ojukwu?? Have you no respect?? So, basically, he has no right to talk for his people, abi? C'mon, he did not want his people to be part of Biafra. Respect him and his wish. Don't divert this thread to suit your agenda. PLEASE
Re: Awo And The Creation Of States [1987] By Ken Saro Wiwa by EzeUche(m): 4:18am On Jul 20, 2011
bashr4:

you dont have to be harsh about that , insult the man but not the new generation ogoni people that had nothing to do with it.

back to topic , now we know it was ken sarowiwa that sold ogoniland to danjuma obj and co, i ised to think the FG took it by force.

Stop being so weak. The same generation were fed the same lies and are no different from their parents generation. angry
Re: Awo And The Creation Of States [1987] By Ken Saro Wiwa by bashr4: 4:18am On Jul 20, 2011
alj_harem:

dude, they own no oil block in OGONILAND. this is the Ocean and not land

learn to reseach

uv started again.
Re: Awo And The Creation Of States [1987] By Ken Saro Wiwa by jason123: 4:19am On Jul 20, 2011
bashr4:

I don't think he did. At least,there is no evidence of this in the article. I think it was the FG, not too sure about it though . . .
Re: Awo And The Creation Of States [1987] By Ken Saro Wiwa by jason123: 4:19am On Jul 20, 2011
EzeUche:

Stop being so weak. The same generation were fed the same lies and are no different from their parents generation. angry

Re: Awo And The Creation Of States [1987] By Ken Saro Wiwa by aljharem3: 4:20am On Jul 20, 2011
bashr4:

uv started again.

but his false allegation against them is uncalled for. yes this people are very corrupt and I do not like them but saying the north and yorubas own oil blocks in ogoniland is a way of undermining the ogoni people and it is wrong. he needs to grow up
Re: Awo And The Creation Of States [1987] By Ken Saro Wiwa by Chyz2: 4:20am On Jul 20, 2011
jason123:

When was this?? During the war?

During the war and especially after the war. The guy had no shame. For him to come crawling to Igbos(Ohanaeze Ndigbo) for their help, in tears, is a shame. At least be a man. Go to the people of the man you said would have understood, awolowo. Why go to the people of the man you hated and his people who you proudly mocked and ridiculed during their time of sutterage? Makes no sense at all.
Re: Awo And The Creation Of States [1987] By Ken Saro Wiwa by jason123: 4:20am On Jul 20, 2011
Anyway, Ezeuche, does that prove my position on the Onlytruth's thread right?? Or do you object?
Re: Awo And The Creation Of States [1987] By Ken Saro Wiwa by bashr4: 4:21am On Jul 20, 2011
EzeUche:

Stop being so weak. The same generation were fed the same lies and are no different from their parents generation.  angry

am not being weak ,whats the point of mocking people that are already suffering for what their fathers caused. do you know how many ogonis live in aba alone? they even fly ogoni national flag in aba but i bet everyone will shit on their pants if we fly biafran flag
Re: Awo And The Creation Of States [1987] By Ken Saro Wiwa by EkoIle1: 4:21am On Jul 20, 2011
lmao.

must these ibo people cry over everything? everybody hate us, even the village square hate us,

You people no dey taya ni?
Re: Awo And The Creation Of States [1987] By Ken Saro Wiwa by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 4:23am On Jul 20, 2011
posted by Jason123
[b]With the war ended, and as a Commissioner in Rivers State, I soon found that the Rivers State for which I had fought did not end my nightmare. In the first place, oil money from Ogoni country (as well as Ijaw country) was being carted away to Lagos, leaving the Ogoni illiterate and backward. This is anti-federalism. Worse still, the Ijaws were taking their frustrations out on the non-Ijaws of the State. For the Ijaws alone number more than the eight other ethnic groups in Rivers State put together. Though historically disunited, the Ijaws find unity when it comes to lording it over the non-Ijaws. The Ijaws will want to perpetuate this. Today, there is not even a Commission from my Local Government Area in the Rivers State Cabinet such as it is. My dilemma as an Ogoni is not about to end.[/b]
Re: Awo And The Creation Of States [1987] By Ken Saro Wiwa by bashr4: 4:24am On Jul 20, 2011
alj_harem:

but his false allegation against them is uncalled for. yes this people are very corrupt and I do not like them but saying the north and yorubas own oil blocks in ogoniland is a way of undermining the ogoni people and it is wrong. he needs to grow up

actually alj its true we know the gang that owns nigeria they are the ones that own the oil blocks , ok lets not mention north and yorubas but majority of them are from those regions , sorry but thats the truth
Re: Awo And The Creation Of States [1987] By Ken Saro Wiwa by ektbear: 4:24am On Jul 20, 2011

[size=15pt]Apart from my revulsion at the needless murders of the innocent, nothing upset me more than Ojukwu's dishonest formulations and his attempt to kidnap the Ogoni, among others, into his Igbo empire called "biafra." I knew that he pinned his hopes of the economic viability of "biafra" on the oil of the Ogoni and the Ijaw. I rebelled. I became Secretary of a small committee which met nights in Port Harcourt and issued a communiqué calling on Gowon to create a Rivers State by decree.[/size]

Poor Eastern minorities cry cry cry

May God continue to preserve and keep them from Igbo oppression
Re: Awo And The Creation Of States [1987] By Ken Saro Wiwa by jason123: 4:25am On Jul 20, 2011
Chyz*:

During the war and especially after the war. The guy had no shame. For him to come crawling to Igbos(Ohanaeze Ndigbo) for their help, in tears, is a shame. At least be a man. Go to the people of the man you said would have understood, awolowo. Why go to the people of the man you hated and his people who you proudly mocked and ridiculed during their time of sutterage? Makes no sense at all.

He went back to his NEIGHBOURS (Igbos are closer to him than the Yorubas geographically) to NEGOTIATE. You must understand that at that time, it was like Ojukwu wanted to FORCEFULLY include them in Biafra WITHOUT their permission. Hence, he took the "anti-Igbo" stance.

But hate Igbo?? I really doubt it. If Hausas should forcefully include, let's say, Tiv in Arewa without negotiations. The Tivs will have the same stance Saro did.
Re: Awo And The Creation Of States [1987] By Ken Saro Wiwa by alex101(m): 4:26am On Jul 20, 2011
jason123:

I hope you know that what you just did can be equivalent to when people also insult Ojukwu?? Have you no respect?? So, basically, he has no right to talk for his people, abi? C'mon, he did not want his people to be part of Biafra. Respect him and his wish. Don't divert this thread to suit your agenda. PLEASE
Feel free to insult Ojukwu all you want, it doesn't take anything away from him as the man who saw tomorrow.
With regards to the bolded, why after all the insults on Igbo, he came begging Ohanaeze and Ojukwu to help him and his Ogoni people? Even today, Asari Dokubo is asking Igbo to help them with their cause, after edwin clark has been "talking for his" ijaw people all these years undecided. My problem with these people is that they will stab Igbo in the back and when boxed in the corner, will come crawling to thesame Igbo. Jason123, you need to give up tribalism and use your head sometimes. angry
Re: Awo And The Creation Of States [1987] By Ken Saro Wiwa by jason123: 4:27am On Jul 20, 2011
Bliss4Lyfe:

posted by Jason123
[b]With the war ended, and as a Commissioner in Rivers State, I soon found that the Rivers State for which I had fought did not end my nightmare. In the first place, oil money from Ogoni country (as well as Ijaw country) was being carted away to Lagos, leaving the Ogoni illiterate and backward. This is anti-federalism. Worse still, the Ijaws were taking their frustrations out on the non-Ijaws of the State. For the Ijaws alone number more than the eight other ethnic groups in Rivers State put together. Though historically disunited, the Ijaws find unity when it comes to lording it over the non-Ijaws. The Ijaws will want to perpetuate this. Today, there is not even a Commission from my Local Government Area in the Rivers State Cabinet such as it is. My dilemma as an Ogoni is not about to end.[/b]

Bliss4lyfe

Lagos was not controlled by Awolowo back then. It was controlled by the FG.
Re: Awo And The Creation Of States [1987] By Ken Saro Wiwa by jason123: 4:28am On Jul 20, 2011
alex101:

Feel free to insult Ojukwu all you want, it doesn't take anything away from him as the man who saw tomorrow.
With regards to the bolded, why after all the insults on Igbo, he came begging Ohanaeze and Ojukwu to help him and his Ogoni people? Even today, Asari Dokubo is asking Igbo to help them with their cause, after edwin clark has been "talking for his" ijaw people all these years undecided. My problem with these people is that they will stab Igbo in the back and when boxed in the corner, will come crawling to thesame Igbo. Jason123, you need to give up tribalism and use your head sometimes. angry

Okay, I have heard you.
Re: Awo And The Creation Of States [1987] By Ken Saro Wiwa by henry101(m): 4:29am On Jul 20, 2011
jason123:

Let's learn to respect neighbouring ethnic groups by first of all, stopping the "minority" statement. It is demeaning. Again, this is not about Igbos . . .

That is very true!!!

He did not want his people in Biafra. Is it too much to respect his people's wishes??

There are people who are Igbo who never wanted or supported Biafra?
When you guys say minorities were never involved, I wonder where you get the stories from.
Who provided the name Biafra? Who was the second in command to Ojukwu. Their alliance was divided and never full. Do you know otueke in bayelsa fought for Biafra? Same for other minorities too.
Igbo this and Igbo that will choke some or more people one day.

Ileke-IdI:

Aww so Nneka did not remember Ojukwu? tongue

Once the dude is dead, he wont be remembered outside of Igboland, that's how its looking o. Atleast Awolowo is still feared outside of SW NIgeria.

Hahaha, thank God you watched an Igbo girl's video.
She even sees herself as a warri/ niger delta girl in her videos.
Did you not see her mention Biafra? When Biafra comes up why do you need Ojukwu's name to be mentioned. It's like tautology, lol,
Re: Awo And The Creation Of States [1987] By Ken Saro Wiwa by aljharem3: 4:29am On Jul 20, 2011
jason123:

He went back to his NEIGHBOURS (Igbos are closer to him than the Yorubas geographically) to [b]NEGOTIATE
. You must understand that at that time, it was like Ojukwu wanted to FORCEFULLY include them in Biafra WITHOUT their permission. Hence, he took the "anti-Igbo" stance. [/b]

But hate Igbo?? I really doubt it. If Hausas should forcefully include, let's say, Tiv in Arewa without negotiations. The Tivs will have the same stance Saro did.

i am sure they would understand that, won't they ??
Re: Awo And The Creation Of States [1987] By Ken Saro Wiwa by Chyz2: 4:30am On Jul 20, 2011
jason123:

He went back to his NEIGHBOURS (Igbos are closer to him than the Yorubas geographically) to NEGOTIATE. You must understand that at that time, it was like Ojukwu wanted to FORCEFULLY include them in Biafra WITHOUT their permission. Hence, he took the "anti-Igbo" stance.

Saro-Wiwa was not the voice of the Ogonis. Making that claim makes him no different than Ojukwu in respect to his claim of a so-called "overlord" by Saro-wiwa. The guy  was a fool. He says Igbo wanted to dominate is people in Biafra, then he turns around and says the Ijaw try to dominate his people in his state while in nigeria.  undecided
Re: Awo And The Creation Of States [1987] By Ken Saro Wiwa by Jenifa1: 4:32am On Jul 20, 2011
[size=15pt]Apart from my revulsion at the needless murders of the innocent, nothing upset me more than Ojukwu's dishonest formulations and his attempt to kidnap the Ogoni, among others, into his Igbo empire called "biafra." I knew that he pinned his hopes of the economic viability of "biafra" on the oil of the Ogoni and the Ijaw. I rebelled. I became Secretary of a small committee which met nights in Port Harcourt and issued a communiqué calling on Gowon to create a Rivers State by decree.[/size]

Ken Saro Wiwa must be rolling in his grave
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-700671.0.html
Re: Awo And The Creation Of States [1987] By Ken Saro Wiwa by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 4:33am On Jul 20, 2011
jason123:

Bliss4lyfe

Lagos was not controlled by Awolowo back then. It was controlled by the FG.

Small lie. Awolowo sold the south for southeast oil money used to develop the southwest but the greedy north would only settle for Lagos whilst the rest was used up North.

alj_harem:

[b]
i am sure they would understand that, won't they ??

Would you?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Hon. Sulaiman Bakari Declares For House Of Representatives In Jalingo (Photos) / FG Moves To Rehabilitate Enugu Airport, Plans To Destroy Illegal Structures / Troops Foil IPOB/ESN Attack In IMO, Ambush Insurgents In Zamfara

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.