Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,226 members, 7,818,770 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:42 AM

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 - Travel (150) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 (684583 Views)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 4 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (147) (148) (149) (150) (151) (152) (153) ... (533) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by honeyade: 4:08am On Dec 03, 2022
Linccoln:

Did you say your brother makes $15,000 a month?
Which country ? If I may ask. I guess the V.O found it funny too.

Yes he actually makes a little more than $15,000 per month, I said 15k because I had to divide his annual salary to monthly at the request of the VO right there. He is a US citizen and lives & works for the multinational tech company in the U.S.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by mayor2013: 7:45am On Dec 03, 2022
honeyade:
Interview Experience 3 DAYS ago
VISA Status: Denied
Lagos Embassy
*Please read through my experience, and kindly share any recommendations for positive results next time.*

Me: Good morning ma’am
VO: Good morning, please can you hand over your passport and I-20? (I handed it over through the space created to give documents)
VO: can you tell me what your program is about?
Me: it’s an LLM program in Intellectual property law, it’s an area of law made to protect the rights of creatives and this includes their craft, literal work or music in order for their rights to not be infringed by unauthorized persons
VO: okay, so who is finding this program
Me: my parents and brother
VO: what do they do for a living starting with your brother
Me: my brother is a cyber security expert at XYZ(big multinational TECH company), my mum is a textile trader and my dad retired as a GM of a company into his commercial farming business
VO: what is their monthly income
Me: my brother’s annual income...
VO: no I want his monthly income
Me: oh his monthly income is about $15,000, my mum’s monthly depends on the quantity of textiles sold a month but about N2.5m and my dad is in his harvest period and this month alone he made N20m from sales of his produce
VO: okay, how much do you make a month?
Me: 250,000
VO:Is that in naira
Me: yes 250,000 naira. I am a lawyer
VO: Oh you're a lawyer, how many years now
Me: 2 years
VO: okay, have you traveled before?
Me: yes, I’ve traveled to Dubai and other African countries while I was younger for the holidays
Officer: okay
……..typing something for about a minute……
Officer: I’m sorry the US immigration service won’t be granting you a US visa and the reasons behind this decision has been revealed on this piece of paper ( handed over my passport and a blue piece of paper)
Me: okay, thank you
Officer: you’re welcome and have a nice day

You gave an all round over bloated figures. These guys are experienced world wide and know what obtain in every part of the world

5 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Donbigi2(m): 7:55am On Dec 03, 2022
My bro is on skilled work visa in Uk and my mom is a lecturer. are they sufficient sponsors for masters? (ps. School fees will be paid in full before applying for visa)
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Donbigi2(m): 7:55am On Dec 03, 2022
mayor2013:

You gave an all round over bloated figures. These guys are experienced world wide and know what obtain in every part of the world
I thought the same too
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Sagehover: 9:13am On Dec 03, 2022
Hello everyone!
Its been really disturbing for me and i really want to know if there are other people seeking for regular dates for lagos. Is there any info about release of date and is it possible to schedule an emergency appointment without having a regular appointment first. My resumption time for spring is fast approaching. Someone should please help my mind settle.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by djsmart(m): 9:24am On Dec 03, 2022
A beautiful morning to you, Nairalander family. A friend of mine went for US interview 2weeks ago. And he's planning to reapply to Abuja. Though he initially picked Abuja but changed to Lagos due to Abuja embassy closure at that time.
1. Please can he reapply now?
2. When reapplying, is he going to pick regular or previously denied?
Thanks in anticipation
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by honeyade: 11:55am On Dec 03, 2022
Donbigi2:

I thought the same too

Thank you so much for the feedback. I guess I can see how the VO could have felt if you all feel that way here.

Coincidentally, my brother’s salary is not bloated at all if anything the $15k I mentioned for him is a little less than what he makes monthly. He is about 10 years older than me, a US citizen and well established in his tech career in the US.

For My dad you will notice I only mentioned 20M for last month for him based on his harvest. Maybe what I should have done is account for every other month he doesn’t sell as much and dropped his monthly to about 3M instead.

For my mom I should have done a similar thing as well.

I went in prepared to talk about annual salaries, so when VO asked for monthly I started recalculating on the spot. In total the funds available to me were more than double what I needed per year. I can trim that down to only my dad as my sponsor for next time.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Hotty321(m): 11:55am On Dec 03, 2022
djsmart:
A beautiful morning to you, Nairalander family. A friend of mine went for US interview 2weeks ago. And he's planning to reapply to Abuja. Though he initially picked Abuja but changed to Lagos due to Abuja embassy closure at that time.
Thanks in anticipation
Previously denied cos they have records
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by justwise(m): 12:12pm On Dec 03, 2022
@All

I just think i should drop this here hope it helps those looking for an appointment

It appears that Abuja is opening a small number of dropbox opportunities every day. Just to note, from the way they seem to be managing their appointments, it appears that everyone has an equal chance to obtain an appointment whether they use a visa agent or not. In short I would encourage you to save your money and to make your own appointment without using an agent if you qualify for Abuja's interview waiver.

3 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by DawnEden(m): 1:23pm On Dec 03, 2022
Hotty321:

Previously denied cos they have records
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by DawnEden(m): 1:25pm On Dec 03, 2022
djsmart:
Thanks in anticipation
1. Yes
2. Pls go for regular, if you choose previously denied, you will not be able to get an appointment date until 6 months as passed. Cgi don't keep such record unlike ds-160. So pls select regular
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by chibertha(f): 1:36pm On Dec 03, 2022
Really
Please educate me
I am an engineer and we are awarded PhD in the specific of engineering we choose
For example I am going for PhD in Civil Engineering next year

I have attached a screenshot from Illinois tech as I am confused.

Please � I like to learn teach me

Nozino:

PharmD is not a PhD. Same way DNP or OD or other Doctoral degrees like Dsc or D.Eng are not PhDs.

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Meel: 1:49pm On Dec 03, 2022
chibertha:
Really
Please educate me
I am an engineer and we are awarded PhD in the specific of engineering we choose

PharmD is a Bachelor degree in pharmacy. Most health care programs are now having the doctor appellate to there Bachelor's degree.
(PharmD, MLS.D, O.D).

To the fellow checking out on PhD pharmacy, conventions like that are not easily identified in the US. Though I have seen one or two cases that they exist but it is rare.

Check out your for your area of research interests, e.g pharmaceutical Microbiology ( Ecoli mutation reducing drug efficacy) , pharmacology ( Adverse drug reactions in synergistic use of antibiotics).

Be on the lookout for research areas, then check out the programs domiciled in that institution then determine anyone that's a right fit for you as a pharmacist.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by chibertha(f): 2:55pm On Dec 03, 2022
Most of the positions start interview the week before resumption into resumption week.
Most students get theirs when they get here because when is easier to make a mark on the person you would work with in person (if that makes sense)

Jacknn:

Wow thanks,I'm only asking bkaux of the possibility of securing visa date for spring 23 January 9th startup, so it's still very possible.. that's great
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by chibertha(f): 2:58pm On Dec 03, 2022
15k USD/month ? The VO did not buy this.
It is what it is. Do not give up.
honeyade:
Lagos Embassy
*Please read through my experience, and kindly share any recommendations for positive results next time.*

VO: Good morning, please can you hand over your passport and I-20? (I handed it over through the space created to give documents)
Me: it’s an LLM program in Intellectual property law, it’s an area of law made to protect the rights of creatives and this includes their craft, literal work or music in order for their rights to not be infringed by unauthorized persons
Me: my brother is a cyber security expert at XYZ(big multinational TECH company), my mum is a textile trader and my dad retired as a GM of a company into his commercial farming business
Me: oh his monthly income is about $15,000, my mum’s monthly depends on the quantity of textiles sold a month but about N2.5m and my dad is in his harvest period and this month alone he made N20m from sales of his produce
Me: yes, I’ve traveled to Dubai and other African countries while I was younger for the holidays
Officer: I’m sorry the US immigration service won’t be granting you a US visa and the reasons behind this decision has been revealed on this piece of paper ( handed over my passport and a blue piece of paper)
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by chibertha(f): 3:03pm On Dec 03, 2022
Oh I see!!! Makes sense now.
honeyade:

Yes he actually makes a little more than $15,000 per month, I said 15k because I had to divide his annual salary to monthly at the request of the VO right there. He is a US citizen and lives & works for the multinational tech company in the U.S.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Mobil567: 3:05pm On Dec 03, 2022
I don’t know why you all seem amazed with the figure. It is actually possible. My boss in Sweden is also an It guy. Makes takes home 136k krona a month after tax oo!! That’s like 13,600€. I didn’t believe it till I saw it with my korokoro eyes. So it is very possible he makes $15k & I don’t think that’s why she got rejected
chibertha:
15k USD/month ? The VO did not buy this.
It is what it is. Do not give up.

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by chibertha(f): 3:06pm On Dec 03, 2022
Yes
Donbigi2:
My bro is on skilled work visa in Uk and my mom is a lecturer. are they sufficient sponsors for masters? (ps. School fees will be paid in full before applying for visa)
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by chibertha(f): 3:11pm On Dec 03, 2022
Your "friend" can reapply but MUST pick previously denied

djsmart:
Thanks in anticipation
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by chibertha(f): 3:15pm On Dec 03, 2022
He didn't state that his brother is in the USA that's why.
When he supplied that information then I believed him.
15k is small money if you are making it here in the states. judging from what I made in my last summer internship.
Mobil567:
I don’t know why you all seem amazed with the figure. It is actually possible. My boss in Sweden is also an It guy. Makes takes home 136k krona a month after tax oo!! That’s like 13,600€. I didn’t believe it till I saw it with my korokoro eyes. So it is very possible he makes $15k & I don’t think that’s why she got rejected

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by chibertha(f): 3:19pm On Dec 03, 2022
And they will be sent back for misrepresentation of facts.

DawnEden:

1. Yes
2. Pls go for regular, if you choose previously denied, you will not be able to get an appointment date until 6 months as passed. Cgi don't keep such record unlike ds-160. So pls select regular
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by DawnEden(m): 4:28pm On Dec 03, 2022
chibertha:
And they will be sent back for misrepresentation of facts.

I don't understand but you can ask those who reapplied and got a date shortly after they have been denied whether it's pervious denial or regular. Ideally from the us embassy site, you are supposed to reapply after 6 month when you have being denial a visa. Anyway, if there is anyone who had gone for their second attempt what did you guys choose ?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by DawnEden(m): 4:33pm On Dec 03, 2022
chibertha:
Your "friend" can reapply but MUST pick previously denied

I have been on a date search group and people came reporting that whenever they pick previously denied after they have been denied and want to reapply for another date, what they get is "there are no available appointment dates".
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Nozino: 4:42pm On Dec 03, 2022
chibertha:
Really
Please educate me

I have attached a screenshot from Illinois tech as I am confused.

Hello. Thank you for being very polite. A PhD is a research degree. The highest there is. There are other Doctoral degrees that aren’t PhDs like the Doctor of Engineering (D.Eng) which is a professional degree. Similar degrees are the EdD ( Doctor of Education), DNP ( Doctor of Nursing Practice). A PharmD In Nigeria is a clinical pharmacy degree and it is an UNDERGRADUATE program. In the US , PharmD, DPT and even law (JD) are postgraduate programs that award Doctoral degrees.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Nozino: 4:46pm On Dec 03, 2022
djsmart:
Thanks in anticipation

As he was not previously denied, he should pick regular. Even if the consular officer ask him, he should deny it. Even if they show him proof, he should continue to deny it.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by mayor2013: 6:02pm On Dec 03, 2022
honeyade:

Thank you so much for the feedback. I guess I can see how the VO could have felt if you all feel that way here.

Coincidentally, my brother’s salary is not bloated at all if anything the $15k I mentioned for him is a little less than what he makes monthly. He is about 10 years older than me, a US citizen and well established in his tech career in the US.

For My dad you will notice I only mentioned 20M for last month for him based on his harvest. Maybe what I should have done is account for every other month he doesn’t sell as much and dropped his monthly to about 3M instead.

For my mom I should have done a similar thing as well.

I went in prepared to talk about annual salaries, so when VO asked for monthly I started recalculating on the spot. In total the funds available to me were more than double what I needed per year. I can trim that down to only my dad as my sponsor for next time.

Dear friend. No need to contest this. I still maintain the over bloated figure caused the denial. Can’t you see it was shortly the VO asked you where your brother works and you told her and you further went to say 15k usd. My friend the VO knows what’s the real take home of techs in that company. Am sure you are missing something here
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Sagehover: 6:13pm On Dec 03, 2022
DawnEden:

1. Yes

Please about this i was refused a visa last year december and i am applying way over 6months for lagos but i had to use previously refused because it is seemingly not over 12 months, should this be a reason i am not getting getting dates?
Should i have selected regular
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by MakingItFair: 6:54pm On Dec 03, 2022
justwise:
@All

I just think i should drop this here hope it helps those looking for an appointment

It appears that Abuja is opening a small number of dropbox opportunities every day. Just to note, from the way they seem to be managing their appointments, it appears that everyone has an equal chance to obtain an appointment whether they use a visa agent or not. In short I would encourage you to save your money and to make your own appointment without using an agent if you qualify for Abuja's interview waiver.

This is welcome news. It has been sad to see those agents extorting such large sums from desperate people. I hope the new system will work.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by TWoods(m): 10:28pm On Dec 03, 2022
honeyade:
Lagos Embassy

You’re already a lawyer… which means you completed undergrad, law school and practicing. You don’t really need a masters program.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by shayhune: 10:31pm On Dec 03, 2022
Linccoln:

Did you say your brother makes $15,000 a month?
Which country ? If I may ask. I guess the V.O found it funny too.

mayor2013:

Dear friend. No need to contest this. I still maintain the over bloated figure caused the denial. Can’t you see it was shortly the VO asked you where your brother works and you told her and you further went to say 15k usd. My friend the VO knows what’s the real take home of techs in that company. Am sure you are missing something here

Dear friends, you have no idea what tech guys are making in the US. As a software engineer working in the US, I know a couple of SWE friends and colleagues (mostly in FAANG) who make more than this every month. So I don't think the VO felt that figure was over-bloated. Just because you do not make such figure, you shouldn't assume that tech guys in the US are not being paid that amount of money, especially for someone like his brother with over 10years of work experience in tech.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by TWoods(m): 10:33pm On Dec 03, 2022
honeyade:

By my math, you brother makes between $180k- $190k. $15,000 a month is his gross income. Net monthly income will be <$10,000. If your brother has a family, it’s unlikely he wants to devote all that pay to your education.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (147) (148) (149) (150) (151) (152) (153) ... (533) (Reply)

Giving Birth In Canada / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 19 / General German Student Visa Enquiries Part 4

Viewing this topic: abdulrazat(m), KarisNech and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.