Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,166 members, 7,835,905 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 05:14 PM

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 - Travel (147) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 (703457 Views)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 4 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (144) (145) (146) (147) (148) (149) (150) ... (542) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Rafiat001: 2:06am On Nov 28, 2022
[quote author=Rafiat001 post=118735846][/quote]hello. Eniola , how can I reach you . I guess we are looking for same thing
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by seansifo(m): 6:57am On Nov 28, 2022
Hello Amaka,

I am sure there are lot of majors in information system that are related to accounting. I would advise you visit usnews.com to search for schools and their courses. Most schools nowadays do not require any standardized scores but I would advice you take at least GRE not for admission purpose but rather to increase your chances of getting funding from the school.

All the best Amaka

Osigweeee:
Hello.
My name is Amaka, and I am seeking to apply for a master's program in the USA.
I did my undergraduate in accounting, but I will like to study anything related to information system.

I have picked out 1 school and I need more suggestions of schools and courses that I don't need any test score and I can get a scholarship.

I have also a draft of my SOP.

I would be grateful for suggestions and I would want to send my SOP so that any other eye can see it.

Do let me know if I can send my SOP here.

Ps. If there is any whatapp group for fall 2023. Pls I will like to get the link
Thanks

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by eniola1010(m): 8:35am On Nov 28, 2022
Nozino:

Most PhDs are fully funded- Tuition, health insurance , living expenses fully covered. You should consider a PhD .

Its the education aspect thats scaring me. Cus phd has too much monitoring from supervisors. Your work has to speak.
Unlike msc we just use craze join join everything. But phd u cant escape being serious
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Sun1shyne: 11:13am On Nov 28, 2022
Please guys, is Abuja approving EA?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by IwinosaA(m): 3:57pm On Nov 28, 2022
Greeting Boss
What if I want my newly married wife to move with me together, with an F2 visa and she is not working in an organization, but she is a video editor that does freelance and blogging, how will she better package her response for a visa approval during interview.
I have been given admission, I have a scholarship to sponsor my Doctorate study by my organization.
you know how all of us want it - I want her to be with me all the while.
Pls I will appreciate the advise of all. Thank You.

how will she better package her response for a visa approval during interview.

Maxidooo1990:

1. Staying with your husband for five years, no, that's a mistake.
2. Leaving your job for five years, not that you're going for studies. That's a red flag.
3. You didn't move with him while he was going.
4. GTA is just for your husband's upkeep. Saying you using that too for yours is some kind of confusing.

I will advise you follow the advice above, if actually it was you that was quoted.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Capitalbase: 5:14pm On Nov 28, 2022
Hi everybody,
Please, for those who are currently applying for PhD, did you have to email one of the faculty members whose research interests aligned with yours to facilitate your admission process. I applied for 3 PhD positions since September and this were open positions for Fall intake. However, I just felt like doing a follow up with graduate departments and one of the response I received seemed to suggest they are "ONLY" accepting those candidates whose "would be" mentors has approved for their applications to move to the next stage.
If anybody can throw more light to this, it would be much appreciated.

Best Regards
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by pongwa(m): 6:03pm On Nov 28, 2022
Capitalbase:
Hi everybody,
Please, for those who are currently applying for PhD, did you have to email one of the faculty members whose research interests aligned with yours to facilitate your admission process. I applied for 3 PhD positions since September and this were open positions for Fall intake. However, I just felt like doing a follow up with graduate departments and one of the response I received seemed to suggest they are "ONLY" accepting those candidates whose "would be" mentors has approved for their applications to move to the next stage.

Best Regards
I am interested in this question.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by CreativeWeb(m): 9:28pm On Nov 28, 2022
IwinosaA:
Greeting Boss
What if I want my newly married wife to move with me together, with an F2 visa and she is not working in an organization, but she is a video editor that does freelance and blogging, how will she better package her response for a visa approval during interview.
I have been given admission, I have a scholarship to sponsor my Doctorate study by my organization.
you know how all of us want it - I want her to be with me all the while.
Pls I will appreciate the advise of all. Thank You.

how will she better package her response for a visa approval during interview.

She can apply for f2 with you. She can state that she doesn't work at the moment and will like to travel with you to keep you company and give you moral support.

You should have money that will cover your living expenses for at least one year.

Note that she can't work nor school while in the US with f2 visa. She can't even work or freelance online while in US with f2 visa.

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by CreativeWeb(m): 9:37pm On Nov 28, 2022
Capitalbase:
Hi everybody,

Best Regards

Yes, you should first contact the supervisor you will like to work with.

PhD is not Masters. It's usually competitive and they are very selective. So, to increase your chances, you will go to the faculty page and choose the professor that their research interests align with yours and send them cold email. In your cold email, you will introduce yourself, talk about your GPA, your research interests, your proposed research topic, and your interest to be mentored and supervised by them.

***Please, contact one professor per department per school.

In your cold email, you can even request for a Zoom meeting at their earliest convenience. A professor that replies you and agrees for a Zoom meeting, is probably interested in working with you.

After meeting with them on Zoom meeting, send in your application. In your Statement of Purpose, state the fact that you will like to be mentored by that professor and that you have had a conversation with them via Zoom.

Also, admission decisions for Fall 2023 will be coming in by February and March. Admission portals for Fall usually opens around September or October. So, you will have to exercise patience to get a decision.

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Oxristo(m): 10:23pm On Nov 28, 2022
Themmietee:
The expedited appointment is not showing again on my portal

When did you apply for the EA?
Cos it's supposed to be within 60days of your program start date.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Kelgabriel5(m): 10:27pm On Nov 28, 2022
realogk:

That madman interviewed you ?
Which soap u use bath ? cheesy
No I missed him, it was around the time he went to get more blue papers, I ran to the lady in window 2 cheesy
baba na God oo, I just prayed that I won't get too many questions and God did it. Na him interview you? because there was one guy I cannot remember it seemed the guy was a grad assistant and going for these Agricultural related stuff for phd I think

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Nozino: 11:05pm On Nov 28, 2022
eniola1010:

Its the education aspect thats scaring me. Cus phd has too much monitoring from supervisors. Your work has to speak.
Unlike msc we just use craze join join everything. But phd u cant escape being serious

You can enter via PhD which is the easiest option for you. You mustn’t finish the program. Most people don’t.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by pongwa(m): 11:09pm On Nov 28, 2022
CreativeWeb:

PhD is not Masters. It's usually competitive and they are very selective. So, to increase your chances, you will go to the faculty page and choose the professor that their research interests align with yours and send them cold email. In your cold email, you will introduce yourself, talk about your GPA, your research interests, your proposed research topic, and your interest to be mentored and supervised by them.

In your cold email, you can even request for a Zoom meeting at their earliest convenience. A professor that replies you and agrees for a Zoom meeting, is probably interested in working with you.

After meeting with them on Zoom meeting, send in your application. In your Statement of Purpose, state the fact that you will like to be mentored by that professor and that you have had a conversation with them via Zoom.

Also, admission decisions for Fall 2023 will be coming in by February and March. Admission portals for Fall usually opens around September or October. So, you will have to exercise patience to get a decision.
contacting a supervisor is not the issue rather, it's whether one must secure one before admission is granted.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Capitalbase: 11:18pm On Nov 28, 2022
CreativeWeb:

Thanks a lot for this detailed response. However, I already applied a long time a go (September) and I didn't have to contact anybody. But I will start sending out email following your ever-helpful guidance. I appreciate it. Well, na God get power.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by CreativeWeb(m): 11:40pm On Nov 28, 2022
pongwa:
contacting a supervisor is not the issue rather, it's whether one must secure one before admission is granted.

Some PhD programs demand that you first contact a supervisor.

If you check requirements for SoP, you will see where they asked if you have a faculty member you will like to work with.

Some schools will give you admission whether you are in touch with a supervisor or not.

Some will not give you admission because they will usually ask people in that department if they want you. This is where prior conversation becomes important.

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Idaytesj29(m): 12:26am On Nov 29, 2022
NightCyrax:

A practice session. More like a demo visa interview.

Where and how can I participate in the mock interview?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by realogk: 12:27am On Nov 29, 2022
Kelgabriel5:

No I missed him, it was around the time he went to get more blue papers, I ran to the lady in window 2 cheesy
baba na God oo, I just prayed that I won't get too many questions and God did it. Na him interview you? because there was one guy I cannot remember it seemed the guy was a grad assistant and going for these Agricultural related stuff for phd I think

Lmao
If na him them tell me make I go meet, I go walk out of that hall and forget the interview. grin

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Idaytesj29(m): 12:30am On Nov 29, 2022
Capitalbase:

Thanks a lot for this detailed response. However, I already applied a long time a go (September) and I didn't have to contact anybody. But I will start sending out email following your ever-helpful guidance. I appreciate it. Well, na God get power.

Pls follow strictly what he advised. That is what I did. I have being in touch with my would be supervisor since Feb 2021. But we're not admitting that period due to covid.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Idaytesj29(m): 12:36am On Nov 29, 2022
CreativeWeb:

She can apply for f2 with you. She can state that she doesn't work at the moment and will like to travel with you to keep you company and give you moral support.

You should have money that will cover your living expenses for at least one year.

Note that she can't work nor school while in the US with f2 visa. She can't even work or freelance online while in US with f2 visa.

What's the essence of going then if the f2s can't work, to further burden the PhD student on stipends?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Nozino: 4:12am On Nov 29, 2022
Idaytesj29:

What's the essence of going then if the f2s can't work, to further burden the PhD student on stipends?

An F2 can always change visa. The Spouse may adjust status and apply for an F1, get an E class visa or get a job with sponsorship. It’s easy to seek these opportunities when you’re already in the US.

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by TWoods(m): 6:59am On Nov 29, 2022
eniola1010:
Hello all. Matured advice needed.
I live in uk. I have msc and bsc.
I want to go to usa through either school or employment.
Lot of people say it is difficult to go to usa from uk thru employment that my best option is sch.

I dont have much to pay for another mba or msc.
Can i opt for college (polytechnic or vocational institutions) since those are more cheaper? I wont mention that i have msc.

My fear now is wont they say since i have bsc why am i going for a lower academic trajectory. That why go for poly wen i can do msc?
However, my excuse will be to tell them that i want an hands on deck academic experience with hardcore teachings which poly offers over uni.

So what do u guys think?

Horrible idea. Find a PhD or stay in the UK. A recession is expected in early 2023 so you won't find a lot of employers hiring at this time.

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by TWoods(m): 7:07am On Nov 29, 2022
Capitalbase:
Hi everybody,

Best Regards

Not in all cases but it is highly advisable you do so, more so because the graduate departments you have contacted have strongly suggested it.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by pongwa(m): 7:23am On Nov 29, 2022
CreativeWeb:

Some PhD programs demand that you first contact a supervisor.

If you check requirements for SoP, you will see where they asked if you have a faculty member you will like to work with.

Some schools will give you admission whether you are in touch with a supervisor or not.

Some will not give you admission because they will usually ask people in that department if they want you. This is where prior conversation becomes important.
oh! I understand you perfectly now. I applied to two schools, one asked if I had contacted a faculty staff and that I should mention his name. The other asked me to state the supervisor I would want to work with. However, there was nowhere I was asked to state the person I wanted to work with in my SoP. I guess these things differ for each school. Although, I got a response from one of the supervisors but I'm still waiting for the second.
Thanks for the clarification though.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Idaytesj29(m): 9:19am On Nov 29, 2022
Nozino:

An F2 can always change visa. The Spouse may adjust status and apply for an F1, get an E class visa or get a job with sponsorship. It’s easy to seek these opportunities when you’re already in the US.

Okay, thanks boss
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by maridrug(m): 10:59am On Nov 29, 2022
For Fall 2023 resumption, is it advisable to have an interview date at April?
SEVIS fee is going to expire by July.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by drjustice17: 1:16pm On Nov 29, 2022
It depends on School. Many Schools will ask you to apply directly to the department or Graduate School, then after one year of rotation, you will choose PI. Why others will ask you to e-mail a PI. Just check the department's website

Capitalbase:
Hi everybody,
Please, for those who are currently applying for Ph.D., did you have to email one of the faculty members whose research interests aligned with yours to facilitate your admission process? I applied for 3 Ph.D. positions since September and these were open positions for Fall intake. However, I just felt like doing a follow-up with graduate departments and one of the responses I received seemed to suggest they are "ONLY" accepting those candidates whose "would be" mentorhaveeeas approved for their applications to move to the next stage.
If anybody can throw more light on this, it would be much appreciated.

Best Regards

(1) (2) (3) ... (144) (145) (146) (147) (148) (149) (150) ... (542) (Reply)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 / GENERAL Irish (student)visa & Work Permit-New THREAD***

Viewing this topic: Damlz and 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 146
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.