Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,661 members, 7,816,697 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:29 PM

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 - Travel (231) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 (681340 Views)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 4 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (228) (229) (230) (231) (232) (233) (234) ... (531) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by bucade11: 6:08am On Feb 17, 2023
Schrodinger2:

You applied my school?
You better go for OPT to get industrial experience, after which (or halfway) you go for PhD.
Are you in Purdue?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by TheNoble007(m): 6:42am On Feb 17, 2023
chibertha:
No I attended an open day where I met lecturers and we had a mini interview so to say.Anyway e concern them. I will face other schools and other activities for now.
I no blame them na my school wet no get PhD for my course I blame.

You should know that PhD admission with full funding is very competitive regardless of the school or department. It is even higher in competitive schools. Did you get research experience and does it align with the current research in the program of your choice?

Another thing is connection.... I tell you solemnly. Especially if someone of high caliber well known to a prof. with grant recommends you strongly. It seals your entry definitely.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Davegabriel(m): 7:59am On Feb 17, 2023
Hello everyone, please I want to know if changing school from the one you where denied with to a different school that is less expensive, will it affect my second visa application because the one I got accepted in is less expensive than the first university I used to apply for my first visa. But I have no valid I-20 now.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by shollyshine(m): 9:57am On Feb 17, 2023
Kudos to everyone contributing on this thread you guys are good. Pls my broh just wrote toefl and score 46 is there any school he can apply to with the score and what are the chances of him getting admission.
He studied bus admin with 2.7 cgpa.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by bulespephilo(m): 10:46am On Feb 17, 2023
BigIyanga:

Gotten an interview date? Starting Fall 2023?
Nothing. I haven't even accepted the offer. I have to renew my passport first.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by bulespephilo(m): 10:46am On Feb 17, 2023
Successmock:

What are those schools?
Tennessee, Pittsburgh.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by bulespephilo(m): 10:47am On Feb 17, 2023
YoungWizard007:

Congratulations to you and happy birthday πŸŽ‚

Make God do my own too, Amen
Amen and Amen. He will do it.
Thanks.

3 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Rocktation(f): 10:48am On Feb 17, 2023
shollyshine:
Kudos to everyone contributing on this thread you guys are good. Pls my broh just wrote toefl and score 46 is there any school he can apply to with the score and what are the chances of him getting admission.

How? And I don't even mean this disrespectfully. Did he grow up in the village? Does he watch only Yoruba and Igbo movies? How could he possibly have scored 46 as a Nigerian, in the TOEFL?

He should enroll in classes and take it again please...or just look for schools that don't ask students who come from English speaking countries to provide it....and tuck that score away. TOEFL is mostly handy for TA-ships sha ooooo, so I would advice he tries and ace it.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by NightCyrax: 11:20am On Feb 17, 2023
shollyshine:
Pls my broh just wrote toefl and score 46 is there any school he can apply to with the score and what are the chances of him getting admission.

46 out of a possible 120? Damn!

I would suggest he rewrites it, but if he doesn't want to, please advise him never to submit it at all. A letter of English proficiency from his undergrad school might suffice in some cases.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by NightCyrax: 11:25am On Feb 17, 2023
Rocktation:

How? And I don't even mean this disrespectfully. Did he grow up in the village? Does he watch only Yoruba and Igbo movies?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Sisib15: 11:29am On Feb 17, 2023
He should check for schools that waived English proficiency tests for Nigerians or he should retake the test because no school will accept that
shollyshine:
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Rocktation(f): 11:30am On Feb 17, 2023
As in, don't try it AT ALL. How can he possibly explain that he scored a 46 as someone who is coming from an English speaking country?

Even the Chinese are getting as high as a 60...even an 80!

3 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by shollyshine(m): 12:35pm On Feb 17, 2023
Rocktation:

How? And I don't even mean this disrespectfully. Did he grow up in the village? Does he watch only Yoruba and Igbo movies? How could he possibly have scored 46 as a Nigerian, in the TOEFL?

He should enroll in classes and take it again please...or just look for schools that don't ask students who come from English speaking countries to provide it....and tuck that score away. TOEFL is mostly handy for TA-ships sha ooooo, so I would advice he tries and ace it.
Lol...I was surprised too. Thanks anyway
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by shollyshine(m): 12:38pm On Feb 17, 2023
NightCyrax:

46 out of a possible 120? Damn!

I would suggest he rewrites it, but if he doesn't want to, please advise him never to submit it at all. A letter of English proficiency from his undergrad school might suffice in some cases.
ok thanks
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by shollyshine(m): 12:39pm On Feb 17, 2023
Sisib15:
He should check for schools that waived English proficiency tests for Nigerians or he should retake the test because no school will accept that
Alright
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by shollyshine(m): 12:40pm On Feb 17, 2023
I will probably ask him to retake it. Thanks guys
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by BigIyanga: 1:13pm On Feb 17, 2023
bulespephilo:

Nothing. I haven't even accepted the offer. I have to renew my passport first.
Accept the offer 1st .. keep me updated if you’re thru with your visa. Good luck
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Myfavour22: 1:18pm On Feb 17, 2023
shollyshine:

Bro Bro πŸ˜…πŸ˜…πŸ˜…

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by chibertha(f): 1:46pm On Feb 17, 2023
I have over 13 years industrial experience it is my retirement plan I am on right now.
I am gunning for NIW already.

Schrodinger2:

You applied my school?
You better go for OPT to get industrial experience, after which (or halfway) you go for PhD.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by chibertha(f): 1:50pm On Feb 17, 2023
I agree with you in Total.
I have experienced it first hand in my current school.
I did it as back up plan.
My plan is to start when I get my GC.
So that I can work full time while doing it.

TheNoble007:

You should know that PhD admission with full funding is very competitive regardless of the school or department. It is even higher in competitive schools. Did you get research experience and does it align with the current research in the program of your choice?

Another thing is connection.... I tell you solemnly. Especially if someone of high caliber well known to a prof. with grant recommends you strongly. It seals your entry definitely.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by chibertha(f): 1:51pm On Feb 17, 2023
No.
Everything na yarnings.
Just prepare your defense very well.

Davegabriel:
Hello everyone, please I want to know if changing school from the one you where denied with to a different school that is less expensive, will it affect my second visa application because the one I got accepted in is less expensive than the first university I used to apply for my first visa. But I have no valid I-20 now.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by chibertha(f): 1:54pm On Feb 17, 2023
I think it is low they should write again and am for 80 and over or look for schools that will not ask for it
My opinion
shollyshine:
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by TheNoble007(m): 2:07pm On Feb 17, 2023
chibertha:
I agree with you in Total.
I have experienced it first hand in my current school.
I did it as back up plan.
My plan is to start when I get my GC.
So that I can work full time while doing it.

Calm down.... Do well not to fall into shams that most men put beautiful young ladies in the name of GC.... Especially our fellow black men... If you get a PhD funded offer, do not hesitate... That's the sure route to EB2 NIW for those who are wise...

You seem to agree totally with everything I say lols.. Can either of us send a Pm?

3 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Zihno: 2:31pm On Feb 17, 2023
Rocktation:

Even if he finds schools that will waive it for him, he should start attending English classes as this score is, for lack of a better term, shameful. Your brother cannot write or speak English. I’m certain he would be required to complete ESL classes if he is even admitted. 46 TOEFL score? Orishirishi.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Najdorf: 3:31pm On Feb 17, 2023
Rocktation:

No chill grin

3 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Rocktation(f): 5:50pm On Feb 17, 2023
Najdorf:

No chill grin

I'm reminded of one guy that asked me about the GRE..Lol. Somehow, his mind completely erased the GRE I told him about and he returned a whole year later, to ask about the site to register for the TOEFL..When he discovered that we weren't on the same page at all, the dude started to rake for me oo..🀷
He said I was not clear on what exams he should have prepared for. I was just like---is this one even well at all? Who uses a whole year to prepare for the TOEFL?!!πŸ˜‚

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Rocktation(f): 5:54pm On Feb 17, 2023
Zihno:

Even if he finds schools that will waive it for him, he should start attending English classes as this score is, for lack of a better term, shameful. Your brother cannot write or speak English. I’m certain he would be required to complete ESL classes if he is even admitted. 46 TOEFL score? Orishirishi.

Honestly, my chest is paining me. grin I don't know if he's not ready for America or it's America that's not ready for him. One is shaa not ready for the other grin

I hope our lightheartedness here, motivates that your bro to do better, bros...good luck to him abeg.

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by BigIyanga: 6:22pm On Feb 17, 2023
Rocktation:

Not only Igbo and Yoruba movies. How did he pass English NECO/WAEC? How did he do his assignments, exams and project during his uni days?
I doubt if this person is mentally prepared to do MS in business-related fields.??

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by mantics(m): 6:22pm On Feb 17, 2023
TheNoble007:

Calm down.... Do well not to fall into shams that most men put beautiful young ladies in the name of GC.... Especially our fellow black men... If you get a PhD funded offer, do not hesitate... That's the sure route to EB2 NIW for those who are wise...

You seem to agree totally with everything I say lols.. Can either of us send a Pm?

Chibertha is not a small madam to fall for that. She has 13years industrial experience before even leaving for MS, so I believe she can't fall for that. Lol
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by mantics(m): 6:23pm On Feb 17, 2023
Schrodinger2:

The rate at which you guys are shooting for WVU is alarming. It makes it more competitive, but best of luck.

Seems one LinkedIn or Twitter influencer has posted how they got many offers from the school, it's same pattern, people just move to same Schools whereas profiles differs. Do your own search and be sure you meet most requirements..
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Izanghi(m): 6:24pm On Feb 17, 2023
bulespephilo:

Tennessee, Pittsburgh.

I applied to the same school.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by mantics(m): 6:25pm On Feb 17, 2023
shollyshine:

This score no be am ooo for TOEFL. Your brother should not even submit the score at all. Also, the 2.7 is out of 4 or 5?

(1) (2) (3) ... (228) (229) (230) (231) (232) (233) (234) ... (531) (Reply)

Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. / Giving Birth In Canada / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 19

Viewing this topic: hella2003, toutlemonde, Cousiim, Achonation and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.