Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,613 members, 7,813,008 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 03:45 AM

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 - Travel (423) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 (676558 Views)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 4 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (420) (421) (422) (423) (424) (425) (426) ... (528) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Najdorf: 5:11am On Oct 17, 2023
Dike987:
Please house, can F1 wear native for interview??
Wear anything you want. I wore something that I could use to connect to my home ties grin

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Ninomitchs: 10:07am On Oct 17, 2023
Please can someone please explain the meaning of 'graduate assistantship'. I stumbled upon this question in my application "would you like to apply for a graduate assistantship?"
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by sobastical: 12:46pm On Oct 17, 2023
Ninomitchs:
Please can someone please explain the meaning of 'graduate assistantship'. I stumbled upon this question in my application "would you like to apply for a graduate assistantship?"

Also someone should please explain this:

"In accordance with the Family and Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974, you have the right to view the letters of recommendation. By selecting "I waive my right to access this recommendation", you are waiving your rights to view and inspect the letters. Once you add a recommender, you will no longer be able to change your decision about whether to waive your right."

I do not understand how adding a recommender restricts someone from viewing the letters of recommendation. I wish to view the letters of recommendation after I have added my recommenders.

According to Google

What is a Graduate Assistantship? A graduate assistantship is a salaried student employment opportunity for graduate students. Graduate assistants work a set number of hours per week and, in return, receive a tuition waiver and, oftentimes, a monthly living stipend.

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by sobastical: 1:00pm On Oct 17, 2023
solorems:
Please do let me know, if you have gotten any feedback on this, as my is at the smae level.
What I am thinking, is that, this is pecuilar to only Lagos embassy, because people said there are dates in Abuja

I think they did that to curb those that hoard the date or racketeers

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Usainterviews: 4:03pm On Oct 17, 2023
Goodnews!

I will be sharing various schools waiving application fee from now till December for B.Sc., M.Sc. and PhD programs with Multiple funding and scholarship opportunities.

Eastern Kentucky University and Western Colorado University waiving their application fees with tuition remission and provide multiple funding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-bwT1sgcH4?si=Len3hgKI1WAaPkr4

3 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by GboyegaD(m): 6:26pm On Oct 17, 2023
Dike987:
Please house, can F1 wear native for interview??

Wear whatever you are most comfortable in. If it is a working day and you will be going to the embassy from work or returning to work after the interview, dress the way you would to work and you can step it down a bit. If otherwise, then dress the way you would like to on that day.

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by GboyegaD(m): 6:29pm On Oct 17, 2023
Ninomitchs:

Also someone should please explain this:

"In accordance with the Family and Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974, you have the right to view the letters of recommendation. By selecting "I waive my right to access this recommendation", you are waiving your rights to view and inspect the letters. Once you add a recommender, you will no longer be able to change your decision about whether to waive your right."

I do not understand how adding a recommender restricts someone from viewing the letters of recommendation. I wish to view the letters of recommendation after I have added my recommenders.

I noticed someone explained what a GA is to you.
As for the recommenders, why do you want to see what they wrote about you? Not waiving the right in my opinion implies you do not trust your recommenders enough which might be perceived from a perspective of you are hiding something.

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by sobastical: 10:34pm On Oct 17, 2023
GboyegaD:

Wear whatever you are most comfortable in. If it is a working day and you will be going to the embassy from work or returning to work after the interview, dress the way you would to work and you can step it down a bit. If otherwise, then dress the way you would like to on that day.

And if he's going to 'owambe'...he can wear his babariga or agbada grin cheesy grin

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by GboyegaD(m): 11:08pm On Oct 17, 2023
sobastical:

And if he's going to 'owambe'...he can wear his babariga or agbada grin cheesy grin

Provided he is comfortable with it, however, he is going for an interview thus, a babariga might not be the best to wear.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by BigIyanga: 4:06am On Oct 18, 2023
Utonneidio:
Good morning everyone, please I need an honest answer. I am married and my husband is currently doing his PhD in the school that offered me admission, I'm to resume by spring of 2024, I haven't received my i20 yet. Please during the visa application and interview should I mention that I'm married? I heard mentioning that having a spouse or relative is a red flag. My documents still carry my name because I haven't done change of name yet, so please is there need to mention that I'm married?
Did your hubby travel as a married or single man?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Najdorf: 6:41am On Oct 18, 2023
May be very helpful to some here:
http://www.thebridgeinitiative.org
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by OnuohaE(m): 9:34am On Oct 18, 2023
Good morning everyone. Please i would like to know if i could get my visa approved together with my dependents if i get a fully funded phd studies in USA
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by sobastical: 10:32am On Oct 18, 2023
OnuohaE:
Good morning everyone. Please i would like to know if i could get my visa approved together with my dependents if i get a fully funded phd studies in USA

Yes with a well detailed and correct application(fundings too)

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Eni997: 4:01pm On Oct 18, 2023
Are you a new applicant or have recently been denied the visa and re-aplying again?

chibuchris1:
Good day everyone,
please I have not been able to schedule my USA F1 visa appointment, the portal is telling me that an email will be sent to me on when my application to schedule an appointment is approved and it has been like that for almost a month now. I don't know what is happening, can anyone explain to me.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Icesnow(f): 9:01pm On Oct 18, 2023
Anfieldboss:

Life is all about risks cheesy

But personally, I avoid schools that require credential evaluation.
Pls can you suggest schools that doesn't require Wes evaluation? Thanks.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Moonlightq: 10:43pm On Oct 18, 2023
Hi guys, good evening to you all, I just received my i20, please what’s the next step?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by SammieLowkey(m): 12:25am On Oct 19, 2023
Moonlightq:
Hi guys, good evening to you all, I just received my i20, please what’s the next step?
Book your appointment (get a date if you haven’t), join mock sessions, attend your interview (be prepared to defend/explain everything on your i20 from sponsorship to school to course), get your visa and flyyyy.. so easy wink

4 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Moonlightq: 1:00am On Oct 19, 2023
SammieLowkey:

Book your appointment (get a date if you haven’t), join mock sessions, attend your interview (be prepared to defend/explain everything on your i20 from sponsorship to school to course), get your visa and flyyyy.. so easy wink

Thanks, please which of the embassy is the best Lagos or Abuja?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by SammieLowkey(m): 1:12am On Oct 19, 2023
Moonlightq:

In this journey, ‘the best’ embassy is subjective. But if I had huge deficit with little or no funding, I’ll probably go to Abuja.

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Icesnow(f): 12:34pm On Oct 19, 2023
Usainterviews:
Goodnews!

I will be sharing various schools waiving application fee from now till December for B.Sc., M.Sc. and PhD programs with Multiple funding and scholarship opportunities.

Eastern Kentucky University and Western Colorado University waiving their application fees with tuition remission and provide multiple funding.Hello! This is really helpful. Thanks. But I noticed all kentucky programmes are available online or I'm going through the wrong link?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-bwT1sgcH4?si=Len3hgKI1WAaPkr4
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by broarena123: 2:13pm On Oct 19, 2023
Hello guys, I’m about to apply for a master program…

but I don’t know how to get recommendation letter from my lecturers. Most of them are not even in the country anymore

Pls, What can I do?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by mayDtolu(m): 3:35pm On Oct 19, 2023
Hello 👋.

I am admitted to a school for masters degree, Spring semester in United States and One of the professors in the school promised me a GA position but he wants my Visa to get approved first.

Please, I need a proof of funds showing $30k just for the visa interview.

How can I go about that please?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by sobastical: 3:38pm On Oct 19, 2023
broarena123:
Hello guys, I’m about to apply for a master program…

but I don’t know how to get recommendation letter from my lecturers. Most of them are not even in the country anymore

Pls, What i can do?

If you still have their email, just message them
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by mcafeez: 3:46pm On Oct 19, 2023
Nozino:

Dear Graduate Admissions Committee,

I hope this email finds you well. Following your previous email requesting for my passport bio data page, I would like to explain that my old passport has expired and I’m in the process of renewing it. I can not say when the new passport would be ready as it is out of my control but I believe I should have it within a month or two. I would be attaching a copy of my old passport bio date page and proof of passport renewal. I would ensure that I send in the new/updated passport bio data page to the committee as soon as I get the new passport.

Please, do contact me if you need more information or anything else. Thank you for considering my application.

Regards,
Xxxxx

Attach your files.

Boss, can you recommend a uni that will wave GMAT or GRE for PhD in Business related course or any other relevant PhD course?

Thanks
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by mojohnny(m): 9:23pm On Oct 19, 2023
Hi guys.
Please how easy is it to get dates for an F1 Visa interview ?
My sister just got her I20 to start in January and I would like to know to help her plan properly.
Thanks in advance

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by sobastical: 11:34pm On Oct 19, 2023
mojohnny:
Hi guys.
Please how easy is it to get dates for an F1 Visa interview ?
My sister just got her I20 to start in January and I would like to know to help her plan properly.
Thanks in advance

Just go on and register on the site and wait till she's approved... dates were released yesterday... Let her wait she will defo get a date before december

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Qupp: 4:10am On Oct 20, 2023
How soon can I get a date after getting my i20
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by sobastical: 8:21am On Oct 20, 2023
Qupp:
How soon can I get a date after getting my i20

Have you registered on the portal?

Just keep checking your mail for approval

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by GboyegaD(m): 6:26pm On Oct 20, 2023
mayDtolu:
Hello 👋.

I am admitted to a school for masters degree, Spring semester in United States and One of the professors in the school promised me a GA position but he wants my Visa to get approved first.

Please, I need a proof of funds showing $30k just for the visa interview.

How can I go about that please?

Write back to him and let him know the chances of visa depends on the availability of funds and he offering you the funding allows international students office to include it in your I-20 which in turn increases your chances of getting the visa.

3 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Phemols23: 2:57am On Oct 21, 2023
Icesnow:
Pls can you suggest schools that doesn't require Wes evaluation? Thanks.

Remember that there are thousands of colleges in the US, so it’s not easy to list schools. If someone recommends Havard, MIT, Uni penn and Vanderbilt, would you apply to them? grin
Most of the schools in the US don’t require WES.
So, saying your intended course of study, the range where your GPA falls, whether you want to take standardized exams etc will help guide anyone who wants to recommend schools to you.
Btw, most schools that don’t require WES still accept it if you have it.
Some people deliberately do WES evaluation because their schools in Naija don’t give them a copy of their transcript. Those schools want you to keep applying for transcript for each grad school application. The school sends the transcript directly to the grad school. So to bypass that, people apply for WES evaluation and WES sends them a copy, and they can use that copy to apply to ANY school.

Most of the Schools that require WES are in the south: Texas, Alabama, Georgia, Tennessee etc.
Most Hostorically Black Colleges and Universities(HBCU) also require WES.

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Najdorf: 4:43am On Oct 21, 2023
Moonlightq:

My advice is to remove your mind from this.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (420) (421) (422) (423) (424) (425) (426) ... (528) (Reply)

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 / Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy.

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.