Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,888 members, 7,814,007 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 12:35 AM

Marriage: My Mother Inlaw Calls My Wife Everyday Is It Proper? - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Marriage: My Mother Inlaw Calls My Wife Everyday Is It Proper? (33211 Views)

Problem With My Wife, Mother, And Mother Inlaw. / In My 7 Years Of Marriage My Husband Has Never Complimented Me / "I Beat My Wife Everyday, Yet We Are The Best Couple On Earth" – Pastor Jackson (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Marriage: My Mother Inlaw Calls My Wife Everyday Is It Proper? by rickleye: 12:17pm On Nov 08, 2022
Mide70:
Please I need your opinion on this issue.

Though before I got married I discovered my mother inlaw calls all her daughters both married and unmarried everyday (only 3 ladies no boys) and they fear her to the bone.

At times every morning and night just to talk to them but I believe when they get married they need privacy and respect but this is not the case for my mother-in-law and I detest such act.

Mind you I'm not against call or trying to break the bond but I believe this is marriage. I'm looking for a way to stop all that

I'm I wrong or right to take that step ?

Unless your wife ( her daughter ) is complaining what is the issue .?
She could be checking in on their well-being
She could be checking in on the kids
She could be checking in on your well being.

I think the bigger issue is that you two don’t get along. Her calls can’t be more than 5-10mins daily.
So what happens if the calls become chats - will that disturb you as well ?

Bro I don’t see this as an issue. Pls don’t make it one.

3 Likes

Re: Marriage: My Mother Inlaw Calls My Wife Everyday Is It Proper? by Etosha: 12:17pm On Nov 08, 2022
Mide70:
calling her morning and evening of everyday? Don't you people know the meaning of marriage ?

What manner of man are you?

4 Likes

Re: Marriage: My Mother Inlaw Calls My Wife Everyday Is It Proper? by harizonal123(m): 12:17pm On Nov 08, 2022
Lol ! op you never see any thing you r complaining. Learn to live with that as I'm typing this my wife and her mum are gisting and they do that three times every blessed day. If that's what give them joy no wahala. The part that annoys me most is the late night and early morning calls. I have a learn to accept the things I cannot change

2 Likes

Re: Marriage: My Mother Inlaw Calls My Wife Everyday Is It Proper? by Streetmovement(m): 12:18pm On Nov 08, 2022
Wotoporiously cool speaking

Op, I don't see anything wrong here, my momma calls me everyday and I know if I eventually get married someday she's still gonna call me everyday..as long she ain't in y'all personal space or calling her daughter to check you( discussing about you to her daughter while keeping it a secret) then shit ain't wrong here.

3 Likes

Re: Marriage: My Mother Inlaw Calls My Wife Everyday Is It Proper? by Nobody: 12:18pm On Nov 08, 2022
Mindlog:

Well captured.

Thanks
My wife does same, I don't have issue with that,
Re: Marriage: My Mother Inlaw Calls My Wife Everyday Is It Proper? by MuslimMuslim: 12:18pm On Nov 08, 2022
A big recipe for disaster.
Talking from experience

2 Likes

Re: Marriage: My Mother Inlaw Calls My Wife Everyday Is It Proper? by jaxxy(m): 12:19pm On Nov 08, 2022
Mide70:

Though before I got married I discovered my mother inlaw calls all her daughters both married and unmarried everyday (only 3 ladies no boys) and they fear her to the bone.

At times every morning and night just to talk to them but I believe when they get married they need privacy and respect but this is not the case for my mother-in-law and I detest such act.

Mind you I'm not against call or trying to break the bond but I believe this is marriage. I'm looking for a way to stop all that

only if the calls are negative to ur wife or ur home. If they are not or just normal calls pls let things be as normal.

ur wife is also an individual and an adult with who should know the boundaries of a relationship. Dint ruffle feathers or the peace amongst unless it's absolutely necessary.

is ur wife complaining about the calls? in any overly negative way?
Re: Marriage: My Mother Inlaw Calls My Wife Everyday Is It Proper? by adekanmbi1986(m): 12:19pm On Nov 08, 2022
etrange:

Tell us, what is the meaning of marriage? Discarding everyone else in your life? Would you prefer she chats more with her friends? Or do you think that you alone would be sufficient for her social needs as a human being?

Men tend to keep their legion of friends and hang out with them even after marriage. The society makes women to stay away from some of her single friends and virtually anything male after marriage. Even the few friends she's got left, she wouldn't be seeing them as often as she used to cause she's expected to be "homely". The result is that they end up depending on only their husband's to fill thier social needs till she has kids or make friends with the wives of her husband's friends. However, the reality is that the husband cannot completely fill up that social gap. That's why we say women talk to much or always have boring stories we're forced to listen to and that they love excess attention and would nag if they don't get it.

There's nothing wrong with your wife talking with her mum. When she has kids, it'll probably reduce cause she'll have more people to interact with.

You are on point

2 Likes

Re: Marriage: My Mother Inlaw Calls My Wife Everyday Is It Proper? by TenQ: 12:19pm On Nov 08, 2022
Mide70:

Until you accept that your mother-in-law is also your mother your problem will know no end. If your mum choses to call you daily, would you scold her?

Fear not as long as you wife is keeping family secrets and plans private

Shalom

5 Likes

Re: Marriage: My Mother Inlaw Calls My Wife Everyday Is It Proper? by ema2020: 12:19pm On Nov 08, 2022
Mide70:

allow us to hear word all this married people Una wahala no dey limited grin

2 Likes

Re: Marriage: My Mother Inlaw Calls My Wife Everyday Is It Proper? by xamodans: 12:21pm On Nov 08, 2022
All depends on the firmness of your wife. This is what I mean: My mother in-law does the same to the 3 married women every day, including my wife, but my wife never for once discuss our affairs with her mum, despite their closeness.

She needs to balance up both so one will not affect the other negatively..

But if you know your wife doesn't have that capacity, then you can call her attention to it, there is no harm in talking.

Take care bro

3 Likes

Re: Marriage: My Mother Inlaw Calls My Wife Everyday Is It Proper? by hotseat: 12:21pm On Nov 08, 2022
Op, you have nothing to worry about!

Let sleeping dogs lie.

You may be embarking on a journey that would surely create bad blood in your home.

Your wife remains your mother in-law's daughter.

Fear not!

2 Likes

Re: Marriage: My Mother Inlaw Calls My Wife Everyday Is It Proper? by entrep88: 12:22pm On Nov 08, 2022
Mide70:

Normal women gossip na, haba. you are just jealous because men hardly get people to give us that attention. Relax
Re: Marriage: My Mother Inlaw Calls My Wife Everyday Is It Proper? by belatoxx: 12:22pm On Nov 08, 2022
Bro make sure you stop that..... That is how my own started am still regretting not stopping the closeness till now..... Her mother will rule your house and ruin your relationship... My kobo

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Marriage: My Mother Inlaw Calls My Wife Everyday Is It Proper? by polite2(m): 12:23pm On Nov 08, 2022
Mide70:

Do dey gossip about you Bros abeg this one is not an issue..let Dem bound absg.

Mins does it alot
Re: Marriage: My Mother Inlaw Calls My Wife Everyday Is It Proper? by Greattha: 12:23pm On Nov 08, 2022
OP. Nothing to fear if you're gucci. Like you said, it'd been happening before you married your wife and you knew about it. Did you ever raise it as a concern to her then?

Is your mother in-law not a good enough role model? There's probably a reason you're concerned.

If she's a good enough person, know that marriage requires experienced advice from our reliable elderly ones.

Way I see it, if you're doing your best as a "good" husband, there won't be any fallout on you or your home.

It depends on your wife and the level of understanding between both of you.

Plus, hope you know the calls/convos can still happen without you ever knowing? Be happy you're not in the dark.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Marriage: My Mother Inlaw Calls My Wife Everyday Is It Proper? by zionzoe(m): 12:23pm On Nov 08, 2022
Oizee:
OP there is nothing wrong with that, what u should be concerned about is the kind of conversation.... If she's just checking on her daughters, then there is nothing wrong with dat.

My late mum called me every morning too just to know how I was doing, it's normal...... My my mother in-law calls my husband every morning, infact they call themselves every morning just to say good morning and how was ur night...
Women defending women as always.

Too much everything is Bad.

1 Like

Re: Marriage: My Mother Inlaw Calls My Wife Everyday Is It Proper? by ChampionTvEnt(m): 12:24pm On Nov 08, 2022
Let them have their calls continuosly while it lasts as you observe with cautions not threatening. Some mother's loves their children at every seconds without attempts to disorganize them at all. Just be only observant.
They might only be gisting for daily happiness infos. Your 50/50 observations results will give plain results without stress don't force it and don't give it a name yourself, let the people paint it.

My thoughts though
Re: Marriage: My Mother Inlaw Calls My Wife Everyday Is It Proper? by jeff1607(m): 12:24pm On Nov 08, 2022
Totilopussylick:
She is simply checking up on her daughter to know if your a responsible man enough for her tongue.

Mother in law shouldn’t have accepted the bride price if she wasn’t sure of her daughter’s husband capability of taking care of her before hand.

1 Like

Re: Marriage: My Mother Inlaw Calls My Wife Everyday Is It Proper? by akmath: 12:24pm On Nov 08, 2022
Wetin with evil cousins today na.
Re: Marriage: My Mother Inlaw Calls My Wife Everyday Is It Proper? by MECIBOQUE1(f): 12:25pm On Nov 08, 2022
What do they always talk about?

I'm I wrong or right to take that step ?[/quote]
Re: Marriage: My Mother Inlaw Calls My Wife Everyday Is It Proper? by MuslimMuslim: 12:25pm On Nov 08, 2022
postmann:
OP, you sure have a point. She's like the 3rd person ever present in a marriage supposedly for two.

Such frequent daily calls can not go on without sensitive/private aspects of your marriage creeping into their conversation. Just not possible.

However, there is hardly an amicable way you can bring this up without hurting your wife's feelings or sounding paranoid. But make no mistake, you have a solid point.

Advice: be patient, and wait a while. Your wife will either carelessly or willfully divulge sensitive/private info that's supposed to be just between the two of you to her mum. And you'd get to find out one way or another. You can then state your case of her mum always been a nose length away from your home and private affairs.

Exactly the point many of the other commenters don't understand. The mother will want to know every single thing happening in their household

1 Like

Re: Marriage: My Mother Inlaw Calls My Wife Everyday Is It Proper? by dinkyicon: 12:25pm On Nov 08, 2022
Jashub:
OP, I'll advice that you nip this thing in the bud before it becomes something else . And the best way of doing that is to have to a serious discussion with your wife and let her understand your fears and worries over this issue.

Because the way I see it , if your mother-in-law has that sort of authority over your wife, then she'll definitely have greater authority over how your home will be run in future . undecided
tf is he worried about, its nothing , he gats to abosolutly worry about nothing
Re: Marriage: My Mother Inlaw Calls My Wife Everyday Is It Proper? by asanausana91: 12:26pm On Nov 08, 2022
duduade:
She might just be lonely and loves to hear and converse with her children everyday ...

When she calls your wife and you are there do they discuss about you

As the mother ever accused you of maltreating her daughter....

Uncle mind your lane...
mind which business? His wife is his business.

1 Like

Re: Marriage: My Mother Inlaw Calls My Wife Everyday Is It Proper? by polite2(m): 12:27pm On Nov 08, 2022
TenQ:

Until you accept that your mother-in-law is also your mother your problem will know no end. If your mum choses to call you daily, would you scold her?

Fear not as long as you wife is keeping family secrets and plans private

Shalom
Abi

1 Like

Re: Marriage: My Mother Inlaw Calls My Wife Everyday Is It Proper? by dotun4luv(m): 12:28pm On Nov 08, 2022
Jashub:
OP, I'll advice that you nip this thing in the bud before it becomes something else . And the best way of doing that is to have to a serious discussion with your wife and let her understand your fears and worries over this issue.

Because the way I see it , if your mother-in-law has that sort of authority over your wife, then she'll definitely have greater authority over how your home will be run in future . undecided

This dude will mislead this OP. See, my father calls me every morning before and after i got married.

Your fear is useless and unnecessary. Focus on what is important. She's just your wife and not your daughter.

Her mother still have dominion over her.

Because you her husband doesn't automatically make her and her parents enemy.

Just be good. Provide for your family. Do the need to her siblings.

Cos she s her daily should be your joy.

When your daughter is married you will know how much you want to make her happy the more.

DJ cuppy still hang around her father...

3 Likes

Re: Marriage: My Mother Inlaw Calls My Wife Everyday Is It Proper? by zoedew: 12:28pm On Nov 08, 2022
Do you have a problem with that? Just live your life! Be a real man. Real men have no time for pettiness.
Re: Marriage: My Mother Inlaw Calls My Wife Everyday Is It Proper? by Satazaa: 12:30pm On Nov 08, 2022
It's not proper at all, I am a victim of this and trust me it never ends well, in the first instance what exactly are they talking about that cannot be said twice or maximum thrice a week, such mother inlaw are usually controlling and manipulative and in my own case she will claim she is doing it out of affection, it's all a ruse to dominate her daughter thinking and actions, trust me on this if they speak everyday then any major decisions and plans in your home will be known to her and she will be pulling toxic strings behind you that you may not know about, as the saying goes, if you buy a goat and pays the owner should release it with it's rope, if not, it's still hers undecided

2 Likes

Re: Marriage: My Mother Inlaw Calls My Wife Everyday Is It Proper? by Ephemmm: 12:31pm On Nov 08, 2022
Mide70:
calling her morning and evening of everyday? Don't you people know the meaning of marriage ?

What is the meaning of marriage please? How is the calls impacting your marriage negatively as it seems that you are just creating issue out of no issue.

Unlike before, My Dad call me almost everyday nowadays despite being a man. As you are growing older, you will soon realize that what matters most is not only money but effective communication with your children.
Re: Marriage: My Mother Inlaw Calls My Wife Everyday Is It Proper? by davodyguy: 12:31pm On Nov 08, 2022
even kids in boarding school, we are not allowed to call them daily, talkless of a married adult,

Put a stop to the frequency.

You and your wife are not single entity, all others comes second

1 Like

Re: Marriage: My Mother Inlaw Calls My Wife Everyday Is It Proper? by Greattha: 12:31pm On Nov 08, 2022
For real?
So who's to blame for those broken marriages or those that ended up in physical/emotional deaths or injuries from spousal abuse?

Are parentsnow supposed to be Psychic?

jeff1607:

Mother in law shouldn’t have accepted the bride price if she wasn’t sure of her daughter’s husband capability of taking care of her before hand.
Re: Marriage: My Mother Inlaw Calls My Wife Everyday Is It Proper? by Michelle55: 12:33pm On Nov 08, 2022
This wan dey find trouble wey trouble no dey, no worry you go soon see the kasala wey you dey find. Continue looking!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

"My Husband Is Molesting Our 12-Year-Old Househelp" - Nigerian Woman (Screenshot / Marriage Is Just all About Responsibility, Nothing Special. / Nigerian Couple Who Welcomed Sextuplets After 17 Years Of Marriage In New Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.