Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,875 members, 7,828,115 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 01:21 AM

Do I Quit My Job Or Keep Getting Distracted In Medical School? Help Me - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Do I Quit My Job Or Keep Getting Distracted In Medical School? Help Me (15194 Views)

11 Years In Medical School- Imsu Medical Students Cry Out / Olajide Rilwan Lekan Graduates From Russian Medical School With As / Cynthia Chizoba Okoye Graduates As Doctor From Tulane University Medical School (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do I Quit My Job Or Keep Getting Distracted In Medical School? Help Me by seanwilliam(m): 5:39pm On Jul 06, 2022
angry shocked
Re: Do I Quit My Job Or Keep Getting Distracted In Medical School? Help Me by aklion: 5:39pm On Jul 06, 2022
Bro I envy you having a such a pay Job this kind time. Haven't you heard that graduates end up working for illiterates because them no fit find job after school. No get me wrong education pure but this country job after school na jamb abi waec

1 Like

Re: Do I Quit My Job Or Keep Getting Distracted In Medical School? Help Me by Emary(f): 5:39pm On Jul 06, 2022
donnie56:
Hello everyone,
I am in dire need of your honest advice. I am a fan of Nairaland but created this because of identity.
I am a medical student studying medicine in one of the public universities in Nigeria. When the ASUU strike newly started, I started looking for things to do and clients to work for. Fortunately, I got two clients who pay me about 200K per month since April. It varies; last month, I earned 199K, this month will be 220K+ if I work harder.
I have saved most of the money to write professional exams.
However, my school still conducts lectures through Zoom and we have not had rest since the strike started. We do have classes from 8am till 5pm except on some days. I am about three months back and our test is coming up soon.
Please do you advise I quite my 200k/per month and focus on my studies seeing that i have lots of materials to read and prepare for my test?
P.S: I have tried balancing but the freelance work is highly demanding. What do i do please?

Lalasticlala please help. Push this to front page. Thank you.

If you have saved enough for professional exams, please quit and face your med school studies. What you earn even as a house officer can exceed 200k and you can earn much more if you travel out. Don't let cheap change distract you.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do I Quit My Job Or Keep Getting Distracted In Medical School? Help Me by GKACME1: 5:40pm On Jul 06, 2022
Increase your side hustle (acquire more clients) and outsource a significant portion of it. Continue your medical studies, pay a portion of your total earnings to your employees, and keep the difference.
Thank me later.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Do I Quit My Job Or Keep Getting Distracted In Medical School? Help Me by Yankiss(m): 5:40pm On Jul 06, 2022
donnie56:
Hello everyone,
I am in dire need of your honest advice. I am a fan of Nairaland but created this because of identity.
I am a medical student studying medicine in one of the public universities in Nigeria. When the ASUU strike newly started, I started looking for things to do and clients to work for. Fortunately, I got two clients who pay me about 200K per month since April. It varies; last month, I earned 199K, this month will be 220K+ if I work harder.
However, my school still conducts lectures through Zoom and we have not had rest since the strike started. We do have classes from 8am till 5pm except on some days. I am about three months back and our test is coming up soon.
Please do you advise I quite my 200k/per month and focus on my studies seeing that i have lots of materials to read and prepare for my test?
P.S: I have tried balancing but the freelance work is highly demanding. What do i do please?

Let's strike a deal. I can help u with the freelance jobs and you can focus on ur studies. We go equal shares. When u are ready, u can take back ur job. I am a writer. I am gainfully employed but have loose hours on my hand. Inbox me if interested.

6 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Do I Quit My Job Or Keep Getting Distracted In Medical School? Help Me by spy24(m): 5:41pm On Jul 06, 2022
If you were doing any other course I would have said that you should focus on your work and forget about school.

But you see... The opportunity before a good Medicine graduate are endless

I'll advise you to back to your education.

Freelance would always be there but your degree will not wait for you

3 Likes

Re: Do I Quit My Job Or Keep Getting Distracted In Medical School? Help Me by socialmediaman: 5:42pm On Jul 06, 2022
Re: Do I Quit My Job Or Keep Getting Distracted In Medical School? Help Me by ShedrachU(m): 5:43pm On Jul 06, 2022
Make money firstly, school no dey run.

1 Like

Re: Do I Quit My Job Or Keep Getting Distracted In Medical School? Help Me by judgementyard(m): 5:43pm On Jul 06, 2022
Quit the job or try and strike a balance,but since you have some test coming ups soon,outsource the job then after the test you might have taken a decision.
Stay strong my brother,naija no easy but God is your strength!
Re: Do I Quit My Job Or Keep Getting Distracted In Medical School? Help Me by DhanBaba(m): 5:47pm On Jul 06, 2022
As education dey for naija like this,

I will say you should still work, save more money
Give a 45% damn to education.
Focus on making the money till ASUU call off strike, by then you would have alot to set a new business or side hustle that won't affect your school.

My brother been away from school is an opportunity to hustle your butt off.
This one semester won't affect your results, if you are a brilliant one that can take back the marks lost after strike's call off

Bro, about the freelance, Am interested
Please 0.9.0.6.8.7.8.2.7.6.9

1 Like

Re: Do I Quit My Job Or Keep Getting Distracted In Medical School? Help Me by Iceyy(f): 5:50pm On Jul 06, 2022
If you can't find a balance between the two, outsource the job.
It'd be better than to quit on one
Re: Do I Quit My Job Or Keep Getting Distracted In Medical School? Help Me by vickydevoka(m): 5:51pm On Jul 06, 2022
michlins:
If you can save 70% of your income then I will suggest you forget education for now and focus on your job. Two years down the line, you can use your bulk funds to Japa and then start a new life.

In all you do, I wish you well
Best advice

1 Like

Re: Do I Quit My Job Or Keep Getting Distracted In Medical School? Help Me by crystalmoon(m): 5:54pm On Jul 06, 2022
$$

1 Like

Re: Do I Quit My Job Or Keep Getting Distracted In Medical School? Help Me by otemeh01(m): 5:56pm On Jul 06, 2022
My advice is for u to outsource the job for a fee to a friend or someone who is smart enough to carry it out. All you just need to do is to supervise the job. That way u have enough time to study and also keep your client until u got time to do the job urself
Re: Do I Quit My Job Or Keep Getting Distracted In Medical School? Help Me by Gold2882: 5:56pm On Jul 06, 2022
michlins:
If you can save 70% of your income then I will suggest you forget education for now and focus on your job. Two years down the line, you can use your bulk funds to Japa and then start a new life.

No don't quit your education.you can plan the two to work, without quiting any, just plan the schedule for each of them. And focus on them, don't allow distraction to come in between the two of them. Moreover the job is not permanent.
Re: Do I Quit My Job Or Keep Getting Distracted In Medical School? Help Me by frozen70(f): 5:57pm On Jul 06, 2022
donnie56:
Hello everyone,

I plead with you to suspend whatever you are doing and face this medical school once and for all

You will be free at last to do whatever you want to do to make money

2 Likes

Re: Do I Quit My Job Or Keep Getting Distracted In Medical School? Help Me by spy24(m): 5:58pm On Jul 06, 2022
donnie56:
Hello everyone,

If you were doing any other course I would have said that you should focus on your work and forget about school.

But you see... The opportunity before a good Medicine graduate are endless

I'll advise you to back to your education.

Freelance would always be there but your degree will not wait for you
Re: Do I Quit My Job Or Keep Getting Distracted In Medical School? Help Me by HBB1(m): 6:01pm On Jul 06, 2022
michlins:

He should forget Medical School?

Which kain advice be this?

200k that he can make in one day easily when he works abroad as a Doctor?

Ok O!

2 Likes

Re: Do I Quit My Job Or Keep Getting Distracted In Medical School? Help Me by Laxy009(m): 6:02pm On Jul 06, 2022
Can this job or service be outsourced to a person who can deliver same quality output without taking away this means of livelihood from you ? If yes ,then do so .

Ensure the person you will be outsourcing the job or service to sign a NDA with you .
Re: Do I Quit My Job Or Keep Getting Distracted In Medical School? Help Me by seanwilliam(m): 6:03pm On Jul 06, 2022
MrEgghead:
I can't say you should stop your side hustle because you definitely need the money to survive Medical school. What you need is to create a balance. You can reduce the amount of time you spend on your side hustle. Your earning is going to drop but does that matter to you?
Keeping aside 8 hours per day for reading is not bad. Your passion for Medicine will go a long way determine how much time you devote to your personal study. You don't need to attend all the lectures, just attend the important ones.

If your driving force to study Medicine is the money, you're going to find it difficult to do this. But notwithstanding, strike a balance. I know people who are working and doing quite well in medical school.
lol.
So if he dedicates 8 hrs per day for reading, how many hours is he going to assign for the job ? How many hours is he going to use to rest ? How many hours is he going to use to sleep ? How many hours is he going to use to attend to other aspect of his life ?

This can cause health break down .

It’s not always easy as it seems.

@op donnie56

If I were you , I’m talking about myself , If the hustle is sure and guaranteed, I will quit school and focus on my job. But I’ll make sure I double my income through that Same husle . I’ll save massively in my first two years and invest in the 3rd year... in 5 years , I must have been financially capable to pursue my ‘doctor’ dream here or overseas.

But if you’re already in final year Then it’s advisable you quit the job and finish what you started ..

200k is not really a big money , but consider what the situation of the country by the time you finish school will be..
If you’re able to double your income , and save 300k monthly , in five years, I expect you to worth 30m in cash .. with that you can become whatever you want to become in life..

You can never lose choosing the money over your career here ( since you can still go back when you gather enough money, the only issues is that you won’t graduate with your colleagues and might have get old.. but it worths the price to me.. ) but you can lose if you choose medical school over money….cos ehn , grass are not always greener on the other side except you have sponsors that can send you oversea. Doctor are not well paid here!!

The only reason I will not quit is if I’m in my final year or I have sure sponsors and if money was never my problem in the first place.
At this stage of my life. Money matters to me pass anything .. my personal opinion anyway ..
Re: Do I Quit My Job Or Keep Getting Distracted In Medical School? Help Me by arthurwillia(m): 6:04pm On Jul 06, 2022
donnie56:
Hello everyone,

Lol this job you are doing, what’s the sustainability, can it give you 200k+ every month forever
See question oo
Medicine that can open ways for you
Add a hard skill to your soft skill
Re: Do I Quit My Job Or Keep Getting Distracted In Medical School? Help Me by seanwilliam(m): 6:09pm On Jul 06, 2022
HBB1:

He should forget Medical School?

Which kain advice be this?

200k that he can make in one day easily when he works abroad as a Doctor?

Ok O!
so na paper e go use to process visa before e enter abroad? Or you think na everyone for medical school gets rich sponsor?.. he should quit and focus on doubling his income and after he’s made enough money , he can go back to his career in a better country.. it’s not as easy as that but discipline and determination will see him through .

The only reason I will not quit is if I’m in my final year or I have sure sponsors and if money was never my problem
Re: Do I Quit My Job Or Keep Getting Distracted In Medical School? Help Me by JBriel: 6:10pm On Jul 06, 2022
Don't throw away your education. Focus
Re: Do I Quit My Job Or Keep Getting Distracted In Medical School? Help Me by Ktosin753: 6:10pm On Jul 06, 2022
JBriel:
Don't throw away your education
This guy is a confirmed scammer
https://www.nairaland.com/7201069/how-recoup-payment-someone-whom#114234590
Re: Do I Quit My Job Or Keep Getting Distracted In Medical School? Help Me by policysamuel(m): 6:11pm On Jul 06, 2022
How una dey get clients abeg na
Re: Do I Quit My Job Or Keep Getting Distracted In Medical School? Help Me by Krossbow123: 6:14pm On Jul 06, 2022
Guy, u can't run d two together. My advice is u quit ur jobs n focus on ur medical program. What if ASUU was not on strike, how would have survived in school? By the time u accumulate enough carryovers u will then understand the meaning of "there is time for everything, a time to school and a time to work"
Re: Do I Quit My Job Or Keep Getting Distracted In Medical School? Help Me by Nyceguy92: 6:19pm On Jul 06, 2022
[quote author=donnie56 post=114460846]

Are you really serious?

If your situation really exists, here is what I think;

You did not say in what year you are, though it does not matter much.

The ASUU strike created a vacuum that led to your side hustle, meaning if there was no strike, you would be in school full time.
Now the vacuum has been filled with online Zoom lectures. Nothing bad about it.

Even if you are in the clinical year, there are lectures you must attend.
I sense the 200k monthly money is weighing heavily on the side of you abandoning school.

You did not give the impression that you were struggling with tuition and upkeep hence the side hustle.
Do your parents/sponsor know about your present dilemma?

If you are really a medical student, you should be familiar by now the enormous demand in time and energy from students.
You should quit the job immediately and embrace your studies.
All you need is hard work and determination.

By the way, ignore those who advise you continue and save the money so you can leave the country or start all over next year.
These options are not guaranteed.

About professional exams you mentioned, as a medical student, you first have to graduate and get registered before writing those exams.
And, depending on your year of study, it could be upwards of 5 years from now.

My honest opinion anyway.
Re: Do I Quit My Job Or Keep Getting Distracted In Medical School? Help Me by cooooooks(m): 6:30pm On Jul 06, 2022
Your medical school is the most important thing in your life.

My friend, as a doctor, a Nigerian qualified doctor, the world is your oyster.

Could you reduce your work by half and manage that until you finish?

This is a sad post imo.
donnie56:
Hello everyone,

Re: Do I Quit My Job Or Keep Getting Distracted In Medical School? Help Me by Sammiessien: 6:37pm On Jul 06, 2022
[quote author=donnie56 post=114460846]Hello everyone,

As a Medical Doctor you will earn more. So focus on your school. Leave the rest to God
Re: Do I Quit My Job Or Keep Getting Distracted In Medical School? Help Me by Ekpekus(m): 6:41pm On Jul 06, 2022
Quit the side hustle for now... since it is freelance, that means you have the skill set to pick up again.
You see tha medicine, is a door opener especially in the japa dictionary. Focus on it, get your kpali and move otherwise you might just lose on both ends
Re: Do I Quit My Job Or Keep Getting Distracted In Medical School? Help Me by adspelite(m): 6:42pm On Jul 06, 2022
donnie56:
Hello everyone,

OP, It is obvious that you lied.
How on earth would you be having zoom classes from 8am to 5pm everyday except some days?
How data you go dey burn on daily bases?
Where in Nigeria do we have a stable internet for this kind of meetings?
You just want to trend hence this bullshit.
Re: Do I Quit My Job Or Keep Getting Distracted In Medical School? Help Me by adspelite(m): 6:42pm On Jul 06, 2022
donnie56:
Hello everyone,

OP, It is obvious that you lied.
How on earth would you be having zoom classes from 8am to 5pm everyday except some days?
How data you go dey burn on daily bases?
Where in Nigeria do we have a stable internet for this kind of meetings?
You just want to trend hence this trash.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Fumigation: 100 Ekiti Students Hospitalised After Inhaling Chemicals / DELSU Backs Out Of ASUU Strike, Resumes Classes / Aviation Workers To Shut Down Airports In Support Of ASUU

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.