Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,026 members, 7,825,236 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 09:39 AM

Do I Quit My Job Or Keep Getting Distracted In Medical School? Help Me - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Do I Quit My Job Or Keep Getting Distracted In Medical School? Help Me (15190 Views)

11 Years In Medical School- Imsu Medical Students Cry Out / Olajide Rilwan Lekan Graduates From Russian Medical School With As / Cynthia Chizoba Okoye Graduates As Doctor From Tulane University Medical School (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do I Quit My Job Or Keep Getting Distracted In Medical School? Help Me by Nicoddemus(m): 6:45pm On Jul 06, 2022
donnie56:
Hello everyone,
I am in dire need of your honest advice. I am a fan of Nairaland but created this because of identity.
I am a medical student studying medicine in one of the public universities in Nigeria. When the ASUU strike newly started, I started looking for things to do and clients to work for. Fortunately, I got two clients who pay me about 200K per month since April. It varies; last month, I earned 199K, this month will be 220K+ if I work harder.
I have saved most of the money to write professional exams.
However, my school still conducts lectures through Zoom and we have not had rest since the strike started. We do have classes from 8am till 5pm except on some days. I am about three months back and our test is coming up soon.
Please do you advise I quite my 200k/per month and focus on my studies seeing that i have lots of materials to read and prepare for my test?
P.S: I have tried balancing but the freelance work is highly demanding. What do i do please?

Lalasticlala please help. Push this to front page. Thank you.

Yet my friend is medical school is wasting away since the strike started. How do I advise him. How did you get that kind of job.... Let me put him through?
Re: Do I Quit My Job Or Keep Getting Distracted In Medical School? Help Me by donnie56: 6:52pm On Jul 06, 2022
Emary:

if you have saved enough for professional exams, please quit and face your med school studies. What you earn even as a house officer can exceed 200k and you can earn much more if you travel out. Don't let cheap change distract you.
Thank you. I am hoping to quit the job with my clients and focus on med school. I have saved half m which I hope to save more to write the USMLE after grad. I think I will have to pause freelancing for now, because the skill does not leave me.

1 Like

Re: Do I Quit My Job Or Keep Getting Distracted In Medical School? Help Me by Akalia(m): 6:52pm On Jul 06, 2022
@OP I don't believe your stiry. Yoh probably created this thread for attention and you are getting. Guess you are happy and enjoying it. How can a smart medical student with a good paying freelance job not know what's best for him? Claiming to be at crossroads.

1 Like

Re: Do I Quit My Job Or Keep Getting Distracted In Medical School? Help Me by donnie56: 6:53pm On Jul 06, 2022
immortalcrown:
Hmm! If the job is not stressful, continue with it to save money and go to a better school. Imagine a medical student taking lectures online when there is no lockdown.

But if the job is stressful, Go back to the school when ASUU allows you, so you will not die young because of hard labour. Health is wealth.
I really don't know for my school. Some days, there are no classes and I am always joyous. Meanwhile my mates are enjoying the strike without anything bothering them.
Re: Do I Quit My Job Or Keep Getting Distracted In Medical School? Help Me by donnie56: 6:55pm On Jul 06, 2022
Akalia:
@OP I don't believe your stiry. Yoh probably created this thread for attention and you are getting. Guess you are happy and enjoying it. How can a smart medical student with a good paying freelance job not know what's best for him? Claiming to be at crossroads.
I am serious. I really don't know if it is advisable to dump the jobs. I work with two clients and I really worked hard to get the jobs. Immediately after the strike, I was on Linkedin, Upwork, Nairaland, everywhere trying to get freelance jobs. But now, academic work seems to be calling. Also, I am distracted. I really need time to get my mind off money and focus on school.
Re: Do I Quit My Job Or Keep Getting Distracted In Medical School? Help Me by donnie56: 6:57pm On Jul 06, 2022
TheWolfen:
It depends on if you have someone that sponsors your education.
Education is important too
I have a sponsor. But in my family money is a problem and I want to break that and make much money and change things in my family. Money is very important to me. But now, it has taken my focus off school.
Re: Do I Quit My Job Or Keep Getting Distracted In Medical School? Help Me by donnie56: 6:57pm On Jul 06, 2022
crystalmoon:
pls drop your number
Is there anything you would like to tell me personally?
Re: Do I Quit My Job Or Keep Getting Distracted In Medical School? Help Me by BlessedJonMoss: 6:58pm On Jul 06, 2022
nijaomegacode:
Like for Peter Obi.
Share for Tinubu.
Skip for Atiku.

Just wondering, how do you count the skips?
Re: Do I Quit My Job Or Keep Getting Distracted In Medical School? Help Me by Akalia(m): 6:59pm On Jul 06, 2022
donnie56:

I am serious. I really don't know if it is advisable to dump the jobs. I work with two clients and I really worked hard to get the jobs. Immediately after the strike, I was on Linkedin, Upwork, Nairaland, everywhere trying to get freelance jobs. But now, academic work seems to be calling. Also, I am distracted. I really need time to get my mind off money and focus on school.
Bro my advice to you is-keep the job and run your academic pursuit simultaneously. You really need that money as much as your education.
However, if you are sure to stay afloat financially after quitting your job in order to focus on your education it's still okay.

By the way what sort freelancing are you into-writing, programming, graphic design?
Re: Do I Quit My Job Or Keep Getting Distracted In Medical School? Help Me by Nobody: 7:00pm On Jul 06, 2022
BlessedJonMoss:

Just wondering, how do you count the skips?
Number of views - (likes+shares).

2 Likes

Re: Do I Quit My Job Or Keep Getting Distracted In Medical School? Help Me by drdeath: 7:00pm On Jul 06, 2022
donnie56:
Hello everyone,
I am in dire need of your honest advice. I am a fan of Nairaland but created this because of identity.
I am a medical student studying medicine in one of the public universities in Nigeria. When the ASUU strike newly started, I started looking for things to do and clients to work for. Fortunately, I got two clients who pay me about 200K per month since April. It varies; last month, I earned 199K, this month will be 220K+ if I work harder.
However, my school still conducts lectures through Zoom and we have not had rest since the strike started. We do have classes from 8am till 5pm except on some days. I am about three months back and our test is coming up soon.
Please do you advise I quite my 200k/per month and focus on my studies seeing that i have lots of materials to read and prepare for my test?
P.S: I have tried balancing but the freelance work is highly demanding. What do i do please?

YESSSS!
Chief I am a MO.
I took a programme in Advertising from APCON when I was in Medical School.It was a 3 yr program with exams taken 2wice a year.The lectures were only on Saturdays(16 wks) and it was not compulsory.I was able to combine them with my Medical and Clinical lectures in Medical School.
I run my own Advertising billboards now apart from being a MO in GH.
Note:You need to start reading your Medical topics-Anatomy,Biochemistry,Physiology, Medical Pathology,Pharmacology,Haematology,Clinical Pathology,Epidemiology and Community health and Microniology-with your Institution’s past theory questions and Mcq to be able to cover much topics within a short time.
Goodluck!
Re: Do I Quit My Job Or Keep Getting Distracted In Medical School? Help Me by sesiyan975: 7:00pm On Jul 06, 2022
Heheh

Re: Do I Quit My Job Or Keep Getting Distracted In Medical School? Help Me by donnie56: 7:00pm On Jul 06, 2022
MrEgghead:
I can't say you should stop your side hustle because you definitely need the money to survive Medical school. What you need is to create a balance. You can reduce the amount of time you spend on your side hustle. Your earning is going to drop but does that matter to you?
Keeping aside 8 hours per day for reading is not bad. Your passion for Medicine will go a long way determine how much time you devote to your personal study. You don't need to attend all the lectures, just attend the important ones.

If your driving force to study Medicine is the money, you're going to find it difficult to do this. But notwithstanding, strike a balance. I know people who are working and doing quite well in medical school.
To be very honest, my driving force is to make the most money I can and change my family history. My family got into a huge financial crisis and are living substandard life. I really want to make a change and help. I chose medicine because I wanted a field that I could practice what I read after school. I also loved the happiness that comes from me helping others.
However, money is also very important. For the balance part, I have tried; I thought I could but I am no good multi-tasker. I either focus on one thing or another. It is very bad of me.,
Re: Do I Quit My Job Or Keep Getting Distracted In Medical School? Help Me by donnie56: 7:04pm On Jul 06, 2022
drdeath:

YESSSS!
Chief I am a MO.
I took a programme in Advertising from APCON when I was in Medical School.It was a 3 yr program with exams taken 2wice a year.The lectures were only on Saturdays(16 wks) and it was not compulsory.I was able to combine them with my Medical and Clinical lectures in Medical School.
I run my own Advertising billboards now apart from being a MO in GH.
Note:You need to start reading your Medical topics-Anatomy,Biochemistry,Physiology, Medical Pathology,Pharmacology,Haematology,Clinical Pathology,Epidemiology and Community health and Microniology-with your Institution’s past theory questions and Mcq to be able to cover much topics within a short time.
Goodluck!
My focus now is on path and pharm. The test is scheduled to hold anytime. The slides released since this year are more than 100. I don't even know where to start.
Re: Do I Quit My Job Or Keep Getting Distracted In Medical School? Help Me by BlessedJonMoss: 7:05pm On Jul 06, 2022
donnie56:
Hello everyone,

I believe many submissions have been made already on the topic and by now you should know how best to handle your dilemma.

I want to make an appeal. Please I'd like you to connect me to the kind of side hustle that you do. I am willing to learn anything legit that will pay me. Please help a brother beat poverty and become useful to the society.

Pls I'd like to connect with you...
Re: Do I Quit My Job Or Keep Getting Distracted In Medical School? Help Me by donnie56: 7:13pm On Jul 06, 2022
sonnie10:
Don’t ever stop medical school because of petty 200k, especially if you have a sponsor.
Do the side hustle whenever you have the time.
Ask yourself, what is the likelihood of scaling the side hustle ? 200k would look like a lot of money now that you are still young but it is really nothing when more responsibilities are added.
Good luck!
I am not quitting medical school. Just that I am very distracted by my side hustle.
Re: Do I Quit My Job Or Keep Getting Distracted In Medical School? Help Me by Trojan8(m): 7:14pm On Jul 06, 2022
Freelancing is not always sustainable, you would always have to upskill to stay relevant. Since you know that there's no way that you can multi-task, I would suggest that you quit those jobs. Life is still long, and there's more than enough money to be made.
Re: Do I Quit My Job Or Keep Getting Distracted In Medical School? Help Me by donnie56: 7:15pm On Jul 06, 2022
Akalia:
Bro my advice to you is-keep the job and run your academic pursuit simultaneously. You really need that money as much as your education.
However, if you are sure to stay afloat financially after quitting your job in order to focus on your education it's still okay.

By the way what sort freelancing are you into-writing, programming, graphic design?
Thank you. I am into writing.
Re: Do I Quit My Job Or Keep Getting Distracted In Medical School? Help Me by Akalia(m): 7:21pm On Jul 06, 2022
donnie56:

Thank you. I am into writing.
Don't mention. Please can you put me through with regard to sourcing writing gigs on upwork?
My niches are copywriting, article writing, and content development.

Though I have a full-time job, I want to create another stream of income using my writing skills that would see me earn in dollars.
Re: Do I Quit My Job Or Keep Getting Distracted In Medical School? Help Me by crystalmoon(m): 7:24pm On Jul 06, 2022
&&
Re: Do I Quit My Job Or Keep Getting Distracted In Medical School? Help Me by Anakazo22: 7:30pm On Jul 06, 2022
donnie56:
Hello everyone,

I won't advice you to quit school,after all medicine is a lucrative course. I would advise you sort someone who can be doing the job and you can be getting your cut at the end of the day till you are are done with your test or exams as the case may be
Re: Do I Quit My Job Or Keep Getting Distracted In Medical School? Help Me by Johnn44: 7:31pm On Jul 06, 2022
donnie56:
Hello everyone,

What a mouth watering salary for just freelancing in this Buhari economy.where una dey se this freelanc sef?
Op dash me small pin na or show me way.
I need just 10k naira biko
Re: Do I Quit My Job Or Keep Getting Distracted In Medical School? Help Me by zubito(m): 7:34pm On Jul 06, 2022
donnie56:
Hello everyone,

You can always get more freelance jobs in future but the time for your medical school may pass. If you're really passionate about this medical school, then by all means go for it.
Re: Do I Quit My Job Or Keep Getting Distracted In Medical School? Help Me by Follyfolla: 7:39pm On Jul 06, 2022
Can you please mentor me on how to start a freelancing work? I'm also affected by the lingering strike caused by ASUU. I'll be more than happy if you can be of help
donnie56:
Hello everyone,

Re: Do I Quit My Job Or Keep Getting Distracted In Medical School? Help Me by HBB1(m): 7:52pm On Jul 06, 2022
seanwilliam:
so na paper e go use to process visa before e enter abroad? Or you think na everyone for medical school gets rich sponsor?.. he should quit and focus on doubling his income and after he’s made enough money , he can go back to his career in a better country.. it’s not as easy as that but discipline and determination will see him through .

The only reason I will not quit is if I’m in my final year or I have sure sponsors and if money was never my problem

You are not making sense sorry!

You don't know what a Medical Degree is worth?

He should quit and go back to school in a better country?

Which country?

To go pay 40,000 pounds a year in the UK or even more in the US?

Or where?

With his Medical degree, even if it is Saudi Arabia, or Namibia... there are places to go.

Besides there are as many as 10,000 Nigerian Doctors in the UK alone-- not mentioning the US, Canada, Australia, Germany...

People that went to those places have 2 heads abi?

Or they all had rich sponsors?

No dey jam talk oga!

1 Like

Re: Do I Quit My Job Or Keep Getting Distracted In Medical School? Help Me by Beholdjoan: 8:06pm On Jul 06, 2022
michlins:
If you can save 70% of your income then I will suggest you forget education for now and focus on your job. Two years down the line, you can use your bulk funds to Japa and then start a new life.

In all you do, I wish you well

I think you should take this advice.
Re: Do I Quit My Job Or Keep Getting Distracted In Medical School? Help Me by Chartey(m): 8:06pm On Jul 06, 2022
michlins:
If you can save 70% of your income then I will suggest you forget education for now and focus on your job. Two years down the line, you can use your bulk funds to Japa and then start a new life.

In all you do, I wish you well

KristaPretty:
Dump the school, make money, save money, avoid lekki or ibadan girls, save money I repeat, then dump your coursemates in Nigeria and move abroad with the amount you saved.

You guys are funny.

Even a fresh doctor out of school doing internship earns a bit more than 200k.

So he should go abroad without qualifications? To do what jobs? Na so e easy for the abroad.

When he can just focus and finish his medicine, go abroad much more easily, start working immediately and make serious money.

Some of you should desist from giving advice on matters you don't know much about.

Even for naija here, e get doctors wey dey make millions per month with international organisations.

He should never lose that MBBS.

3 Likes

Re: Do I Quit My Job Or Keep Getting Distracted In Medical School? Help Me by Samj1122: 8:21pm On Jul 06, 2022
Why not look for someone that you can pay 50k to do your job sk has to have time with you school work...
Re: Do I Quit My Job Or Keep Getting Distracted In Medical School? Help Me by Nairalandar: 8:23pm On Jul 06, 2022
donnie56:
Hello everyone,

I will advice not to quit but what kind of job is that please, i am willing to learn under you. Please hel your fellow being
Re: Do I Quit My Job Or Keep Getting Distracted In Medical School? Help Me by sonnie10: 8:26pm On Jul 06, 2022
donnie56:

I am not quitting medical school. Just that I am very distracted by my side hustle.

Hang in there!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

4 Ways To Create A Good Reading Habit. / Agricultural Engineering Vs Mechanical Engineering. / World Teachers' Day - Share Your Experiences With Your Favourite/worst Teacher

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.