Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,832 members, 7,813,754 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 05:42 PM

How Do You Cope With Very Energetic Kids - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How Do You Cope With Very Energetic Kids (1123 Views)

How Do You Cope If Married To Someone You Don't Love? / How Do You Cope With Pressure To Cheat On Your Spouse? / Husbands Or Wives With Mouth Odour, How Do You Cope? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do You Cope With Very Energetic Kids by emerich(m): 3:35pm On Jul 23, 2022
Hello nairalanders, please am a 1st time dad so would be needing suggestions from Parents and caregivers, my son is a year and 10 months old, but very energetic, he makes me afraid most times to come back home, he always headbutts me, so very painful but he doesn't feel any pain whatsoever, he loves to play very rough play with me and his mom, but I think his mom have some tolerance levels to his play, he is always slapping, climbing and dancing on my groin, very painful most times, and always landing me hot slaps most especially when he is angry or his mom went out without his knowledge, he is a very wonderful kid and fun to be with, he is a blessing to us, my fears is that he shouldn't turn out to be a bully as he appears stronger and energetic than most kids his age and above.
How do I tame him to prevent him from always hitting his parents? I asked my wife about his activities at school and she told me he isn't a bully but always super active at school, I am a very calm guy but my dad told me I was that way when I was a child his age, that helped but the issue of headbutting and slapping me is really a source of concern for me.
If you had kids that exhibits such behaviors as mine, what did you do differently to calm him?
Re: How Do You Cope With Very Energetic Kids by olabrinks(f): 3:49pm On Jul 23, 2022
Wait till he gets to two. My son is two and he can’t sit still. I think it’s just how boys are. Sit down try and talk to him, sing to him and it helps them to calm down. Let him go outside and run around. Use all that energy up. But you just have to endure, it’s a phase.

5 Likes

Re: How Do You Cope With Very Energetic Kids by Zonefree(m): 4:00pm On Jul 23, 2022
. climbing and dancing on my groin, very painful most times, and always landing me hot slaps most especially when he is angry or his mom went out without his knowledge

This is a joke, right?

Pikin wey you suppose flog nonsense comot from em body, you dey here dey lament undecided

Wait till he graduate to using hard objects on you. Sissy parenting!

3 Likes

Re: How Do You Cope With Very Energetic Kids by poshestmina(f): 4:01pm On Jul 23, 2022
Talk to him man to man to stop dancing on your groins grin grin grin grin.

They are all like that,always climbing the window,dragging wires and all. grin grin grin.

He’ll outgrow it.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do You Cope With Very Energetic Kids by ExMI6(m): 4:02pm On Jul 23, 2022
They are the best grin
Try make the environment safer for them while they explore
Dont forget to spank

9 Likes

Re: How Do You Cope With Very Energetic Kids by Blake755: 4:05pm On Jul 23, 2022
poshestmina:
Talk to him man to man to stop dancing on your groins grin grin grin grin.

They are all like that,always climbing the window,dragging wires and all. grin grin grin.

He’ll outgrow it.
Hilarious ur first line tho grin cheesy

1 Like

Re: How Do You Cope With Very Energetic Kids by jessykings(f): 4:08pm On Jul 23, 2022
This sounds exactly like my son, he's 2yrs2months old. He's hyper active. I have tried several things to calm him but they aren't working. I believe it's a phase that will end soon, just be patient with him and try to find out what he enjoys doing. Sometimes I get my boy engaged with watching rhymes and cartoons. This help but for a short while. Patience is key.
As for the headbutting/slapping aspect, although my boy doesn't headbutt, whenever he hits or bites, I return to favor so that he also feels the pain. He hasn't stopped completely but I recently noticed that when he raises his hand to hit or tries to bite, he just stops halfway. I guess he remembers what will follow when he does that ���
Some kids can be a handful and fun at the same time

6 Likes

Re: How Do You Cope With Very Energetic Kids by emerich(m): 9:42pm On Jul 23, 2022
ExMI6:
They are the best grin
Try make the environment safer for them while they explore
Dont forget to spank
Spanking don't work on him, it only makes him more aggressive, this night while his mom was watching BBN, he came to were I was seated and began heaping slaps on me, having bouts of headache now, I responded by slapping him back, it continued until I gave up. My wife had to make a video of the episode, he only got distracted when the light from my wife's phone came up.
Re: How Do You Cope With Very Energetic Kids by emerich(m): 9:47pm On Jul 23, 2022
jessykings:
This sounds exactly like my son, he's 2yrs2months old. He's hyper active. I have tried several things to calm him but they aren't working. I believe it's a phase that will end soon, just be patient with him and try to find out what he enjoys doing. Sometimes I get my boy engaged with watching rhymes and cartoons. This help but for a short while. Patience is key.
Watching cartoons on his moms phone really helps but as soon as he gets tired he just dashed to where am seated and lands a hot slap on my face, before I could react he has given me a headbutt and awaiting my reaction, he only stops when he knows he had hurt me by my facial reaction, I wonder how a kid less than 2 years can headbutt an adult which such ferocity and feel little or no pain at all.
What kind of toys would you recommend i get him to serve as a distraction? I know he needs a sibling as it's just me, his mom and him in a very big house.

2 Likes

Re: How Do You Cope With Very Energetic Kids by Alooone: 9:51pm On Jul 23, 2022
emerich:

Watching cartoons on his moms phone really helps but as soon as he gets tired he just dashed to where am seated and lands a hot slap on my face, before I could react he has given me a headbutt and awaiting my reaction, he only stops when he knows he had hurt me by my facial reaction, I wonder how a kid less than 2 years can headbutt an adult which such ferocity and feel little or no pain at all.
What kind of toys would you recommend i get him to serve as a distraction? I know he needs a sibling as it's just me, his mom and him in a very big house.
Don't u have fresh bitter leaf sticks in your area

1 Like

Re: How Do You Cope With Very Energetic Kids by jessykings(f): 10:10pm On Jul 23, 2022
emerich:

Football and building blocks can keep him distracted. You can also get him a bicycle as cycling can help to keep him busy and expend energy too

5 Likes

Re: How Do You Cope With Very Energetic Kids by tamcamp253: 12:26am On Jul 24, 2022
Just don’t worry yourself, be happy he’s healthy and hyper active, with time and good teaching too he will relax it’s just that phase
emerich:
Hello nairalanders, please am a 1st time dad so would be needing suggestions from Parents and caregivers, my son is a year and 10 months old, but very energetic, he makes me afraid most times to come back home, he always headbutts me, so very painful but he doesn't feel any pain whatsoever, he loves to play very rough play with me and his mom, but I think his mom have some tolerance levels to his play, he is always slapping, climbing and dancing on my groin, very painful most times, and always landing me hot slaps most especially when he is angry or his mom went out without his knowledge, he is a very wonderful kid and fun to be with, he is a blessing to us, my fears is that he shouldn't turn out to be a bully as he appears stronger and energetic than most kids his age and above.
How do I tame him to prevent him from always hitting his parents? I asked my wife about his activities at school and she told me he isn't a bully but always super active at school, I am a very calm guy but my dad told me I was that way when I was a child his age, that helped but the issue of headbutting and slapping me is really a source of concern for me.
If you had kids that exhibits such behaviors as mine, what did you do differently to calm him?

1 Like

Re: How Do You Cope With Very Energetic Kids by Mindlog: 1:31am On Jul 24, 2022
emerich:

Having a kid of that age who is energetic is good but the headbutting and slapping are challenging behaviours you and your wife must be on the same page to correct.

His "coping mechanism" of slapping you when he is angry or his mother went out without his knowledge, is very unhealthy. You both have to teach him how to keep his hands to himself and instill in him that hitting others is very wrong, whenever he acts out those challenging behaviours, mete out age appropriate discipline.

If he is not corrected at this stage, he would normalize such behaviours and a bully is being raised. There is a need to nip any possible early-onset of conduct disorder in him.......else the coming years will not be funny at all as I have worked in a child and adolescent psychiatric clinic where one of our "clients" is a 4 year old boy who within one academic year has been enrolled into 3 different schools, as school administrators told his parents never to bring him back their schools.

6 Likes

Re: How Do You Cope With Very Energetic Kids by emerich(m): 7:14am On Jul 24, 2022
Mindlog:

Having a kid of that age who is energetic is good but the headbutting and slapping are challenging behaviours you and your wife must be on the same page to correct.

His "coping mechanism" of slapping you when he is angry or his mother went out without his knowledge, is very unhealthy. You both have to teach him how to keep his hands to himself and instill in him that hitting others is very wrong, whenever he acts out those challenging behaviours, mete out age appropriate discipline.

If he is not corrected at this stage, he would normalize such behaviours and a bully is being raised. There is a need to nip any possible early-onset of conduct disorder in him.......else the coming years will not be funny at all as I have worked in a child and adolescent psychiatric clinic where one of our "clients" is a 4 year old boy who within one academic year has been enrolled into 3 different school, as school administrators told his parents never to bring him back their schools.
Thank you so much, God bless you richly, you just assayed my fears in your summation, he is a lovely kid when around, such a joy to behold when calm, but when bored he is something else, the aspect that gets me confused is when his mom steps out for just a brief moment either to thrash the bin, run some errands or do some chores. He gets electrified and hits me with such animosity never seen, he only gets calm when his mom returns or I take him outside to see her. I earnestly pray he out grows such tendency of always wanting to hit people much older than himself.
I noticed he loves kid, most times when we go out shopping or to an event he always looks out for kids his age group to play with and he never hurts them and the female kids are always attracted to him due to his impeccable looks, I always pray he doesn't hurt them but he is always nice and cool around them. My concern is how he turned out to always fight me and enjoy doing so, the thrill on his face when he slaps me is second to none, I had always prided myself to be a kick ass dad, but with my boy it's different, I can't give him a real spanking unless he does something distructive but hitting me I don't actually see the need of spanking him since I feel it's down to boredom. He doesn't seem Autistic though.
Re: How Do You Cope With Very Energetic Kids by JONSYN7154: 7:19am On Jul 24, 2022
Zonefree:

This is a joke, right?

Pikin wey you suppose flog nonsense comot from em body, you dey here dey lament undecided

Wait till he graduate to using hard objects on you. Sissy parenting!
that's too mean Bro. grin grin
Re: How Do You Cope With Very Energetic Kids by emerich(m): 7:31am On Jul 24, 2022
jessykings:

Football and building blocks can keep him distracted. You can also get him a bicycle as cycling can help to keep him busy and expend energy too
Thank you. My wife had always suggest we get him a bicycle but I feel he is too young to get one, what he does is to convert everything he could roll into a bicycle, the side stools, his chairs and the fittings in the fridge, he would pull it out and start rolling them, she said since he is used to bicycle and cars at the creche, and he gets back home and there's none at home.
I feel the slaps and headbutts are ways he is indirectly telling me to get those toys for him. I would try to buy them by month end and also a kiddies iPad since he is so fond of his mom's phone and only pray this habits of his is curtailed. My house dey fear me to enter because of one small pikin like this o. See me with muscle fa.
Re: How Do You Cope With Very Energetic Kids by JONSYN7154: 7:37am On Jul 24, 2022
emerich:
Nothing to fear. My concern is the headbutting and the slap.

Just try to know something that he likes so much then use it to calm him down.

I have a son who is very super active always try to explore.

I have one cartoon in my phone that he loves so much. Anytime he starts his super activities I just play the cartoon for him and he cools down.

When your son outgrown this stage you'll miss the stage.

Cheers Bro

2 Likes

Re: How Do You Cope With Very Energetic Kids by MufasaLion: 12:58pm On Jul 24, 2022
Damn! People with kids are trying. Can't picture myself in such scenarios.
Re: How Do You Cope With Very Energetic Kids by frozen70(f): 8:21pm On Jul 27, 2022
emerich:

Children of that age are supper hyperactive and so your son is not different

The problem here is that you have to start correcting those rough play before it becomes a habit

He will be having other sibblings too and they will learn virtually every thing from him
Re: How Do You Cope With Very Energetic Kids by GHoJes: 9:25pm On Jul 27, 2022
Let me give you a secret, you don’t play with him as much as his mum. His hitting you is him asking for your attention. You are calm and serious, worse is, you just let him go ahead, if you were the no nonsense type of dad, he would have been scared of you but since you are the quiet type, come down to his level, roll on the floor, toss him on sofas, run around with him like his mate, play rough yet carefully with him then come back to tell me how you became your son’s best friend. You will see how he will always prefer your company to his mum and you can easily make him obey you when you become his friend. This is coming to you from experience.

1 Like

Re: How Do You Cope With Very Energetic Kids by Channah1(f): 3:48am On Jul 28, 2022
Reduce his sugar intake and thank me later.

Children who are hyperactive or overenthusiastic are said to have high glucose level in their system. So reducing drinks or beverages with sugar will help calm them down or lessen their energy.

Like someone also said, don't forget to spank in cases where he becomes too naughty.

2 Likes

Re: How Do You Cope With Very Energetic Kids by ogub(m): 9:22am On Jul 28, 2022
emerich:

Spanking don't work on him, it only makes him more aggressive, this night while his mom was watching BBN, he came to were I was seated and began heaping slaps on me, having bouts of headache now, I responded by slapping him back, it continued until I gave up. My wife had to make a video of the episode, he only got distracted when the light from my wife's phone came up.
how can you be proud to say your little baby is heaping slap on you, as much as it's common with kid's at this stage, my baby of the same age does so to me and his mother but he gets it hot from both of us that will make him know is wrong to hit his parents

1 Like

Re: How Do You Cope With Very Energetic Kids by Mamasessy(f): 6:59pm On Aug 14, 2022
little kids are like this but if you dont want to spank him then remove him or stand any time he hits you, tell him to stop then ignore until he is sorry. If you are distracted I think it's his way of getting attention but sometimes you can spank him well n the behaviour will reduce for a while, if it starts again you can spank him well again. Other ideas is to use toys or let him play with water to keep him busy.
Re: How Do You Cope With Very Energetic Kids by Sijo01(f): 7:45pm On Aug 14, 2022
emerich:

Up your game and give him the attention he needs.

Each time he rough handles you, spank him and ensure you explain to him your reason for doing so. Also let him know how painful it is. Continue with the drill until he grabs the message.

Sometimes, when he's calm, you do the dragging. Yes, drag him and initiate the play.

Mine is a girl and will be four soon. She's more than what you discribed your son to be. She was nick named vugar in school. That's to tell you how strong and active she is.

I'm a calm person too but when I'm with her, I'm something else. Imagine talking and playing in a public transport from point A to B. Or is it when we're taking a walk? Omo, e nor easy.

1 Like

Re: How Do You Cope With Very Energetic Kids by LadySarah: 8:41pm On Aug 14, 2022
R
Re: How Do You Cope With Very Energetic Kids by Polasq: 11:29am On Mar 20
Hi all! By providing a platform for users to connect with qualified caregivers, access information and resources, and ensure a positive experience for all parties involved, Care com is revolutionizing the way we think about care. With the help of this platform, many people have managed to find the personnel they need, and the numerous positive care com reviews are evidence that all users of the platform were satisfied with its use since finding the appropriate caregiver has become much easier.

(1) (Reply)

Is There Any Hope Left For Me? / Yahoo or schooling / Would You Move Back To Your Parents House As An Adult?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.