Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,396 members, 7,815,863 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:42 PM

My 9 Months Experience As A Non-Tech Remote Worker In Nigeria - Career (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / My 9 Months Experience As A Non-Tech Remote Worker In Nigeria (56621 Views)

What Is Your Experience As A 3rd Class Graduate / Remote Work: Any Hope For Non-Tech Nigerians? / My 6 Months Experience As An Uber/bolt Driver In Abuja (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My 9 Months Experience As A Non-Tech Remote Worker In Nigeria by kamtrix(m): 8:10am On Aug 28, 2022
pocohantas:

Remove profile picture on Upwork? Are freelancers now allowed to do that?
I think so. I was able to. Happy Sunday!
Re: My 9 Months Experience As A Non-Tech Remote Worker In Nigeria by pocohantas(f): 9:11am On Aug 28, 2022
Purpleflower:
Hi, @Pocohantas

I really appreciate your effort to help others understand the Upwork platform. Thank you.

Quick question. What can a VA without experience upload as a portfolio on Upwork?

Sorry I missed this mention, you spelt my moniker wrong previously.

A VA without experience should gain experience by self-studying or interning.

kamtrix:
I think so. I was able to. Happy Sunday!

Strange…

1 Like

Re: My 9 Months Experience As A Non-Tech Remote Worker In Nigeria by kamtrix(m): 10:04am On Aug 28, 2022
Happy Sunday dear. Would you like to be a guest speaker for an online discussion I want to organize on opportunities of Upwork. I'll be honoured to have you speak.
pocohantas:

Sorry I missed this mention, you spelt my moniker wrong previously.

A VA without experience should gain experience by self-studying or interning.

Strange…

Re: My 9 Months Experience As A Non-Tech Remote Worker In Nigeria by pocohantas(f): 11:51am On Aug 28, 2022
kamtrix:
Happy Sunday dear. Would you like to be a guest speaker for an online discussion I want to organize on opportunities of Upwork. I'll be honoured to have you speak.

Pardon me, I would have to decline this. You can share this thread with them. They should read and learn. I done tire to talk. Nigerians have coconut head.

2 Likes

Re: My 9 Months Experience As A Non-Tech Remote Worker In Nigeria by GloriousGbola: 11:59am On Aug 28, 2022
pocohantas:

Pardon me, I would have to decline this. You can share this thread with them. They should read and learn. I done tire to talk. Nigerians have coconut head.

na wa oh - in like two months of teaching Poco became thoroughly disillusioned with nigerians

and it is these same nigerians that are complaining about issues with regular employment - but clearly too many of them are unable or unwilling to upskill

and this is why those CU grads are killing it in the labour market for top tier companies - because they come out of uni with skills, and a training and understanding that upskilling is importnat

they are not thinking there is a rounabout way to upskilling - or that you can bamboozle your way into a job that requires competencies and discipline

2 Likes

Re: My 9 Months Experience As A Non-Tech Remote Worker In Nigeria by pocohantas(f): 12:28pm On Aug 28, 2022
GloriousGbola:

na wa oh - in like two months of teaching Poco became thoroughly disillusioned with nigerians

and it is these same nigerians that are complaining about issues with regular employment - but clearly too many of them are unable or unwilling to upskill

and this is why those CU grads are killing it in the labour market for top tier companies - because they come out of uni with skills, and a training and understanding that upskilling is importnat

they are not thinking there is a rounabout way to upskilling - or that you can bamboozle your way into a job that requires competencies and discipline

It is nothing that I didn’t know about US (Nigerians) before. I just didn’t know the level to it.

When I started, I still had a lot of time on my hands to handhold. But very few of my friends were ready to learn. I would talk and talk, e go enter from one ear and commot from the other.

The friend I had a tutorial with on Wednesday is by far the best student I have had. Maybe because he is in tech. He did all his assignments and I kept laughing because I was intrigued by how much he knew and had done. His profile was already at 100% and he has 3 specialized profiles for all his skills. He knew how to navigate the platform, which is something you need to learn FIRST!

A student once told me to start another class to teach them how to use Slack, Zoom and Meet. Are you kidding me? I should start another class to teach GRADUATES how to use communication tools? Something you can easily learn via Google? I learned to use HubSpot on YouTube. I sha knew it is computer. Nothing fit loss inside, person wey pass me go find am grin.

A friend hailed me last week - “dollars baby. You fit borrow me 50k? I go pay back next month”. That is what I get now from some friends and acquaintances. When I try to teach them, they run. It is me that would break my back, work 3 shifts and give them ba?

Abeg. I get people wey love me. I no wan die of stress. cheesy cheesy

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: My 9 Months Experience As A Non-Tech Remote Worker In Nigeria by Thegamingorca(m): 1:50pm On Aug 28, 2022
pocohantas:

smiley
Re: My 9 Months Experience As A Non-Tech Remote Worker In Nigeria by kamtrix(m): 9:37pm On Aug 28, 2022
pocohantas:

hahaha. It's totally fine. I understand, Nigerians can get very annoying when it comes to learning. It'll start looking as if they're purposely trying not to learn. Lol
Re: My 9 Months Experience As A Non-Tech Remote Worker In Nigeria by Udoboss(m): 3:38am On Aug 29, 2022
NUJABEZ:
I was on Upwork for six years and made more than $100k. The truth is, more than 90% of you guys reading this thread and this post will not be succesful. Upwork is not child's play, and if you do not have the skills and attention to detail required, you will not get very far.

I might sound negative, but I swore never to tell any soul about Upwork in Nigeria anymore because you guys don't have the work ethic, the resolve, and the ability to transcend the Nigerian factor. The ones I introduced to the platform never made it anywhere because they didn't put in the work. To me, Upwork is best discovered by a person rather than being told about it.

If you are going into Upwork without the right tools, equipment, and mindset -- you will fail.

If you begin working on Upwork without quickly specializing, for instance, moving from content writing to marketing automation expert; or, data entry worker to Business Analyst within your first two years on the platform, you will fail.

If you love too much sleep and detest rejection, you will fail.

If you cannot devote all of your heart and passion to become the best that you can be, you will be found out and you will get your sorry ass fired.

If you cannot rid yourself of that uniquely Nigerian ability to fashion excuses for the deferment of work, you will be let go. Your profile will tank and no one will hire you.

Can you refer me to where I can get courses on content marketing and email marketing
Re: My 9 Months Experience As A Non-Tech Remote Worker In Nigeria by Bigman02(m): 5:31pm On Aug 29, 2022
Udoboss:

Can you refer me to where I can get courses on content marketing and email marketing
Message me at webexpert878@gmail.com let's talk... I have something for you,trust me.

1 Like

Re: My 9 Months Experience As A Non-Tech Remote Worker In Nigeria by egubere: 9:59pm On Aug 31, 2022
Am Interested in upskilling as a business analyst/project manager who can please refer me to a boot camp that offer UK internship and reference. Thanks
Re: My 9 Months Experience As A Non-Tech Remote Worker In Nigeria by Sammyimpostor: 10:32pm On Aug 31, 2022
egubere:
Am Interested in upskilling as a business analyst/project manager who can please refer me to a boot camp that offer UK internship and reference. Thanks

I'm interested too
Re: My 9 Months Experience As A Non-Tech Remote Worker In Nigeria by Didiplay: 2:06am On Sep 01, 2022
kamtrix:
hahaha. It's totally fine. I understand, Nigerians can get very annoying when it comes to learning. It'll start looking as if they're purposely trying not to learn. Lol

I’m interested in attending the webinar oo.
Re: My 9 Months Experience As A Non-Tech Remote Worker In Nigeria by Didiplay: 2:19am On Sep 01, 2022
pocohantas:

Remove profile picture on Upwork? Are freelancers now allowed to do that?

[/color]
Hi Queen Poco! cheesy
It’s your fan-girl again, thank you. I wanted to confirm what means of payment is best.
I intend to use payoneer but can I add the deposit to local bank option to it (because it seems to be highlighted like the obvious choice)

I also want to confirm that to be verified I have to get a job first?

When you started out did you set up a portfolio for the jobs? I’m at a loss for what to put there, I want to put some data work and maybe design work too?

I’ve also seen that in the tax area I’ve been asked to fill W-8BEN tax info before withdrawals?

I’m yet to get hired though, hopefully it would be sooner than later. [color=#000099]
Re: My 9 Months Experience As A Non-Tech Remote Worker In Nigeria by Didiplay: 2:25am On Sep 01, 2022
[/i]I feel like a headless chicken from PowerBi-Ui/UX-software QA Testing-Cloud Computing.
I just want to chill and make mad money.[i]
Re: My 9 Months Experience As A Non-Tech Remote Worker In Nigeria by pocohantas(f): 10:17am On Sep 01, 2022
Didiplay:

[/color]
Hi Queen Poco! cheesy
It’s your fan-girl again, thank you.

1) I wanted to confirm what means of payment is best. I intend to use payoneer but can I add the deposit to local bank option to it (because it seems to be highlighted like the obvious choice)

2) I also want to confirm that to be verified I have to get a job first?

3) When you started out did you set up a portfolio for the jobs? I’m at a loss for what to put there, I want to put some data work and maybe design work too?

4) I’ve also seen that in the tax area I’ve been asked to fill W-8BEN tax info before withdrawals?

I’m yet to get hired though, hopefully it would be sooner than later. [color=#000099]

Lol. Good morning…

1) I always advise people that are out to make money to have a dorm account. That is how you get real value for your work/earnings. I have 3 dorm accounts, but I currently use Access for daily transactions because it allows me transfer to same bank via the app. I use another for savings. The third is just there.

2) Most times you need a job to get verified.

3) No, I didn’t. I always stated it that I am new, very teachable and committed to long term working relationships. I had a habit of going for jobs of 6mths and above.

4) My income has never been t****. Ignore that field. Someday Emefiele or whoever might remember us, like they did to the Pakistani freelancers. cheesy

I got this while responding to you. She called it a note because it was indeed a note and the reason I applied was because I read I could lose my Top Rated Badge if my account goes inactive. Just keep pushing. Once you have one foot in the door, clients would naturally align to you.

3 Likes

Re: My 9 Months Experience As A Non-Tech Remote Worker In Nigeria by owoshuyi(m): 1:47pm On Sep 02, 2022
I've read your thread, and I appreciate you sharing your experience. I've learnt a lot from you.
My questions are:
1. How did you do your American client's work? Given the time zone difference is big.

2. Is it only by Payoneer a freelancer gets paid in Upwork?

pocohantas:
My 9months Experience As A Naija-based Remote Worker

Re: My 9 Months Experience As A Non-Tech Remote Worker In Nigeria by pocohantas(f): 3:19pm On Sep 02, 2022
owoshuyi:
I've read your thread, and I appreciate you sharing your experience. I've learnt a lot from you.
My questions are:
1. How did you do your American client's work? Given the time zone difference is big.

2. Is it only by Payoneer a freelancer gets paid in Upwork?

Thank you.

1) You do it by staying awake. Someone that likes sleep (a lot) cannot survive as a remote worker/freelancer.

2) There are other options - Wise and Grey. I don’t know much about them.

6 Likes

Re: My 9 Months Experience As A Non-Tech Remote Worker In Nigeria by owoshuyi(m): 3:33pm On Sep 02, 2022
Thank you.
Sorry say my question too much.
About the time, when you did yours can you give me from what time till what time on average in the night?
pocohantas:

Thank you.

1) You do it by staying awake. Someone that likes sleep (a lot) cannot survive as a remote worker/freelancer.

Re: My 9 Months Experience As A Non-Tech Remote Worker In Nigeria by pocohantas(f): 3:42pm On Sep 02, 2022
owoshuyi:
Thank you.
Sorry say my question too much.
About the time, when you did yours can you give me from what time till what time on average in the night?

When I did mine is not important. You already know the time difference is huge and that is what matters. The client WOULD ALWAYS tell you the working hours. 9am - 5pm EST, 10am - 2pm PST, 12pm - 4pm MST, graveyard shift…etc. You simply convert to WAT and you are good.

5 Likes

Re: My 9 Months Experience As A Non-Tech Remote Worker In Nigeria by pocohantas(f): 3:47pm On Sep 04, 2022
Didiplay, please send a PM to the moderators via the homepage to unban you. Use this link- https://www.nairaland.com/mailsupermods

After that, please do not quote that post again. Just type an independent post and mention me.

1 Like

Re: My 9 Months Experience As A Non-Tech Remote Worker In Nigeria by cokeryusuf09(m): 6:45pm On Sep 09, 2022
pocohantas:

You are welcome. It is okay to feel down, but always get back up.

1) It is a game of numbers and luck.

2) Apply for the toughest vacancies. The ones with more required skills. More interview questions and maybe video/voice introduction.

3) Apply only to jobs with verified payments.

4) Apply when it is less than 5 or at most 10 to 15 proposals.

5) Always attach a portfolio in the body of your proposal. A Google link would suffice.

6) Go through reviews from past freelancers to get the client’s name. Makes them feel you did some research and you are deliberate.

7) Don’t rely on jobs that appear on your feed. Search with keywords and find hidden jobs.

8- DON’T EVER BID BELOW THE MINIMUM BUDGET! It smells of desperation! Yes, clients want cheap, but you sef think am na!

If a client says $5 - $10 per hour. The least you should do is that $5 as a beginner with no history. If you have history on Upwork, do $7. If you have been tested and trusted, you can balance on the $10.

When you grow more and have more earnings, you increase your level and rates too.

9) I do hope you have a good and professional profile picture. Let’s not lie to ourselves, people would always gravitate towards the good-looking person.
how do i create portfolio
Re: My 9 Months Experience As A Non-Tech Remote Worker In Nigeria by Shaggyswang(f): 5:26pm On Sep 21, 2022
pocohantas:

It is nothing that I didn’t know about US (Nigerians) before. I just didn’t know the level to it.

When I started, I still had a lot of time on my hands to handhold. But very few of my friends were ready to learn. I would talk and talk, e go enter from one ear and commot from the other.

The friend I had a tutorial with on Wednesday is by far the best student I have had. Maybe because he is in tech. He did all his assignments and I kept laughing because I was intrigued by how much he knew and had done. His profile was already at 100% and he has 3 specialized profiles for all his skills. He knew how to navigate the platform, which is something you need to learn FIRST!

A student once told me to start another class to teach them how to use Slack, Zoom and Meet. Are you kidding me? I should start another class to teach GRADUATES how to use communication tools? Something you can easily learn via Google? I learned to use HubSpot on YouTube. I sha knew it is computer. Nothing fit loss inside, person wey pass me go find am grin.

A friend hailed me last week - “dollars baby. You fit borrow me 50k? I go pay back next month”. That is what I get now from some friends and acquaintances. When I try to teach them, they run. It is me that would break my back, work 3 shifts and give them ba?

Very nice to see Nigerian women face entitlement themselves for a change smiley
Re: My 9 Months Experience As A Non-Tech Remote Worker In Nigeria by RockhouseCafe: 1:53am On Sep 22, 2022
pocohantas:

When I did mine is not important. You already know the time difference is huge and that is what matters. The client WOULD ALWAYS tell you the working hours. 9am - 5pm EST, 10am - 2pm PST, 12pm - 4pm MST, graveyard shift…etc. You simply convert to WAT and you are good.

1)Poco please can you list the tools (software programs) that have helped you succeed as an admin assistant.

2)What is your MS excel proficiency level?

3)Kindly also help with the certifications you have had to acquire.

Thanks and sorry if my questions appear stupid. This would really be helpful. Oops it's 1:52am, gat to get some sleep.
Re: My 9 Months Experience As A Non-Tech Remote Worker In Nigeria by kamtrix(m): 9:36am On Sep 22, 2022
pocohantas:

Thank you.

Ahhh you're missing o. Payoneer rate is really low, almost same as bank rate. Best thing to do is connect your grey GBP Account to Payoneer, as soon as you get it in Payoneer, convert it to GBP in Payoneer, send to GBP grey account, you'll get it there within minutes, them send it from there in GBP to your naira Bank. Their rate is roughly 710/pound which results in around 670/naira. The extra 200+ per dollar that Payoneer is chopping can serve as extra change for you

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My 9 Months Experience As A Non-Tech Remote Worker In Nigeria by kamtrix(m): 9:40am On Sep 22, 2022
Poco this is me inviting you gently again ooo. Lol. I'll really be honoured to have you speak in one of our Saturday sessions. We've been having them every Saturday and so far it's been good. 2 people have gotten contracts from our activities, I'm praying for consistent good results.

I actually use this thread as reference material, I send it to the participants ever Saturday.

My greetings and regards

2 Likes

Re: My 9 Months Experience As A Non-Tech Remote Worker In Nigeria by pocohantas(f): 9:41am On Sep 22, 2022
kamtrix:

Ahhh you're missing o. Payoneer rate is really low, almost same as bank rate. Best thing to do is connect your grey GBP Account to Payoneer, as soon as you get it in Payoneer, convert it to GBP in Payoneer, send to GBP grey account, you'll get it there within minutes, them send it from there in GBP to your naira Bank. Their rate is roughly 710/pound which results in around 670/naira. The extra 200+ per dollar that Payoneer is chopping can serve as extra change for you

I don’t understand this Mathematics cheesy, but I have never changed with Payoneer. I only use Payoneer as my switch. Maybe Grey has lower charges, then you can throw more light on that and I wouldn’t mind ditching Payoneer.

1 Like

Re: My 9 Months Experience As A Non-Tech Remote Worker In Nigeria by RockhouseCafe: 10:16am On Sep 22, 2022
ately1:
The best investment is in the tools of one’s own trade

Care to throw more light on this to help newbies? Thanks
Re: My 9 Months Experience As A Non-Tech Remote Worker In Nigeria by RockhouseCafe: 10:45am On Sep 22, 2022
NUJABEZ:
I was on Upwork for six years and made more than $100k. The truth is, more than 90% of you guys reading this thread and this post will not be succesful. Upwork is not child's play, and if you do not have the skills and attention to detail required, you will not get very far.

I might sound negative, but I swore never to tell any soul about Upwork in Nigeria anymore because you guys don't have the work ethic, the resolve, and the ability to transcend the Nigerian factor. The ones I introduced to the platform never made it anywhere because they didn't put in the work. To me, Upwork is best discovered by a person rather than being told about it to.

If you are going into Upwork without the right tools, equipment, and mindset -- you will fail.

If you begin working on Upwork without quickly specializing, for instance, moving from content writing to marketing automation expert; or, data entry worker to Business Analyst within your first two years on the platform, you will fail.

If you love too much sleep and detest rejection, you will fail.

If you cannot devote all of your heart and passion to become the best that you can be, you will be found out and you will get your sorry ass fired.

If you cannot rid yourself of that uniquely Nigerian ability to fashion excuses for the deferment of work, you will be let go. Your profile will tank and no one will hire you.

I discovered Upwork by myself and my research on google actually brought me to this thread. So maybe I qualify for some help grin . Abeg help with the bolded. Interested in Virtual Admin Assistant but can seem to wrap my head around the many tools showing up from my search.

1 Like

Re: My 9 Months Experience As A Non-Tech Remote Worker In Nigeria by kamtrix(m): 11:01am On Sep 22, 2022
pocohantas:

I don’t understand this Mathematics cheesy, but I have never changed with Payoneer. I only use Payoneer as my switch. Maybe Grey has lower charges, then you can throw more light on that and I wouldn’t mind ditching Payoneer.
the thing is grey cannot directly be used on upwork anymore. However they have a far higher USD rate than payoneer. So what works is that you link your grey to your payoneer then when you receive money on payoneer you send it to grey for a better rate.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply)

Uber Sacks 3,500 Employees Via A Zoom Call / Lawyer Who Posed With Buhari's Daughter In Hijab During Bar Programe Speaks.PICS / The Query Letter Given To An Employee Of Toro LGA, Bauchi State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.