Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,148 members, 7,957,283 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 10:20 AM

If You Adopt Foreign Citizenship You Are No Longer Nigerian! - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / If You Adopt Foreign Citizenship You Are No Longer Nigerian! (6411 Views)

Nigerian Man Used Me For Money And Citizenship / Illegal Immigrants In The US Will Be Entitled Citizenship / Dual Citizenship (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: If You Adopt Foreign Citizenship You Are No Longer Nigerian! by BABEELOVE(f): 12:03am On Aug 16, 2007
hmmmmmmmmmmm! sad
Re: If You Adopt Foreign Citizenship You Are No Longer Nigerian! by IykeD1(m): 12:04am On Aug 16, 2007
If they chose they can reverse the dual citizenship laws of Nigeria, it won't change the
fact that the place is a shit hole!

Its my country of origin still, I love it, and there is nothing any of you clowns will say or
do to change that fact. Whether I use the blue or green passports, I will still find a way
to get into the country - it makes no difference really.

And to those who have fallen in love with the word "Nigger" courtesy of music and videos,
and now think only African Americans are referred to as Niggers, wake up jackasses. Let
me break the sad news to you - ALL BLACK PEOPLE are considered NIGGERS!!!
Re: If You Adopt Foreign Citizenship You Are No Longer Nigerian! by lovemajek(f): 12:05am On Aug 16, 2007
wait till 2012.
Re: If You Adopt Foreign Citizenship You Are No Longer Nigerian! by doyin13(m): 12:10am On Aug 16, 2007
Iyke-D:

- ALL BLACK PEOPLE are considered NIGGERS!!!

and niggerettes grin

no forget babeelove and co.
Re: If You Adopt Foreign Citizenship You Are No Longer Nigerian! by PawPaw3(m): 12:12am On Aug 16, 2007
doyin13:

Ol bob

ell 77 you get time o

You sound like u actually care

unbelievable

We know you don't care, as a matter of fact why don't you try joining a UK forum. You should be used to the word nigga now. Go and join them abeg and carry go when they call you nigga.
Re: If You Adopt Foreign Citizenship You Are No Longer Nigerian! by BABEELOVE(f): 12:13am On Aug 16, 2007
doyin13:

and niggerettes grin

no forget babeelove and co.

I will deal with you later wink Your own na special case!
Re: If You Adopt Foreign Citizenship You Are No Longer Nigerian! by doyin13(m): 12:13am On Aug 16, 2007
Paw-Paw:

We know you don't care, as a matter of fact why don't you try joining a UK forum. You should be used to the word nigga now. Go and join them abeg and carry go when they call you nigga.

Nigger PLEASE

grin grin grin
Re: If You Adopt Foreign Citizenship You Are No Longer Nigerian! by ell77(f): 12:14am On Aug 16, 2007
@doyin and lovemajek - I know, it just upsets me, people tar every diasporan with the same brush and I want to know what would possess them. I hope its not jealousy? All I know is that the people who speak the worst about Nigeria in my presence are those who live there. I suppose if you secretly want to leave your country, but can't, it is painful for others who have managed to do so to turn around and tell you how rubbish the place u currently stay is. So I understand the bitterness, but before someone goes and posts something like that I thought they should think about the impact they have on diasporans who actually are just as, if not more patriotic than them. They may single handedly be responsible for the lack of progress Nigeria may make if the diasporans feel they can't return or invest without returning. I jsut don't know, it saddens me, it shouldn't but it does. It's like going home and your brother saying 'get out of our fathers house, your sister insulted the new carpet and u don't live here either so you are no longer part of this family'. Is that not painful?
Re: If You Adopt Foreign Citizenship You Are No Longer Nigerian! by BABEELOVE(f): 12:15am On Aug 16, 2007
Amazing!
Re: If You Adopt Foreign Citizenship You Are No Longer Nigerian! by doyin13(m): 12:17am On Aug 16, 2007
ell77:

@doyin and lovemajek - I know, it just upsets me, people tar every diasporan with the same brush and I want to know what would possess them. I hope its not jealousy? All I know is that the people who speak the worst about Nigeria in my presence are those who live there. I suppose if you secretly want to leave your country, but can't, it is painful for others who have managed to do so to turn around and tell you how rubbish the place u currently stay is. So I understand the bitterness, but before someone goes and posts something like that I thought they should think about the impact they have on diasporans who actually are just as, if not more patriotic than them. They may single handedly be responsible for the lack of progress Nigeria may make if the diasporans feel they can't return or invest without returning. I jsut don't know, it saddens me, it shouldn't but it does. It's like going home and your brother saying 'get out of our fathers house, your sister insulted the new carpet and u don't live here either so you are no longer part of this family'. Is that not painful?

So eloquently put
Re: If You Adopt Foreign Citizenship You Are No Longer Nigerian! by PTH(m): 12:20am On Aug 16, 2007
ell77:

I hope its not jealousy? All I know is that the people who speak the worst about Nigeria in my presence are those who live there. I suppose if you secretly want to leave your country, but can't, it is painful for others who have managed to do so to turn around and tell you how rubbish the place u currently stay is. So I understand the bitterness,

you hit the nail on the head. It is not a mere coincidence that the most vocal members of the "i love Nigeria" brigade live in Nigeria or Cambodia.
Re: If You Adopt Foreign Citizenship You Are No Longer Nigerian! by BABEELOVE(f): 12:23am On Aug 16, 2007
Gosh---------Una get power oh!!!! cry  See wastage of energy and human resources!
Re: If You Adopt Foreign Citizenship You Are No Longer Nigerian! by aloib(f): 12:24am On Aug 16, 2007
ell i would love u forever
Re: If You Adopt Foreign Citizenship You Are No Longer Nigerian! by simplyme3(f): 12:24am On Aug 16, 2007
@Aloib

u r a goat.
Re: If You Adopt Foreign Citizenship You Are No Longer Nigerian! by lovemajek(f): 12:27am On Aug 16, 2007
ell77:

No jealousy, but saying the truth about what you dont know you're missing stay out of your motherland.
Re: If You Adopt Foreign Citizenship You Are No Longer Nigerian! by aloib(f): 12:29am On Aug 16, 2007
simply_me:

@Aloib

you're a goat.
it takes one to knw one,
Re: If You Adopt Foreign Citizenship You Are No Longer Nigerian! by Iman3(m): 12:30am On Aug 16, 2007
aloib:

it takes one to knw one,

Don't mind Ferlie grin
Re: If You Adopt Foreign Citizenship You Are No Longer Nigerian! by ell77(f): 12:31am On Aug 16, 2007
@aloib - ah thank you! atleast one Nigerian loves me as much as I love them. lol. You put a smile on my face sister. I am not sure why simply_me is calling you a goat though, hope he/she can explain him/herself.

@PTH, BABEELOVE and doyin - cool

@his_grace - why are you giving people like that free advertising? I don't even joke with that N word. Can I ask you a favour - please try not to use it ok?
Re: If You Adopt Foreign Citizenship You Are No Longer Nigerian! by aloib(f): 12:33am On Aug 16, 2007
iman hahaha lol ferlie
Re: If You Adopt Foreign Citizenship You Are No Longer Nigerian! by ell77(f): 12:34am On Aug 16, 2007
No jealousy, but saying the truth about what you don't know you're missing stay out of your motherland.

@lovemajek - sorry my brain has passed its functioning hours, I cant decipher what you were saying. I think my own posts are starting to lose punctuation and grammar on top of that. I'm gonna sleep now, but were you telling me to stay out of Nigeria?
Re: If You Adopt Foreign Citizenship You Are No Longer Nigerian! by k0be: 12:45am On Aug 16, 2007
Shango

Does a mouse cease from being a mouse any longer since it chose to vacate its hole in search of food on a chop-enriched planation?
Re: If You Adopt Foreign Citizenship You Are No Longer Nigerian! by Roscodaddy(m): 12:47am On Aug 16, 2007
Compiling names of all those insulting Nigeria and will soon send to Yardua grin
Re: If You Adopt Foreign Citizenship You Are No Longer Nigerian! by BABEELOVE(f): 12:58am On Aug 16, 2007
These third world countries need to be thought a lesson!  Very rude.  Infact let us send the terrific 2 to give them the Saddam treatment!  Terrorists!  Paw Paw will be the next one to be fished out from a hole after hiding for several months without any toilet!  If fact --Paw Paw--you are on your way to GITMO!!!! 

You no dey fear!!!

Simply is already in Cambodia, so no need to worry--no airport for thia!

shango and his__disgrace are only fit to join charles Taylor as minor third world ranked bandits!!! grin Or hand them to the Liberians to cut off their body bit by bit and send the videos to You-tube! Ah-Ah!! What a cheek!!!!
Re: If You Adopt Foreign Citizenship You Are No Longer Nigerian! by shango(m): 1:08am On Aug 16, 2007
Does a mouse cease from being a mouse any longer since it chose to vacate its hole in search of food on a chop-enriched planation?

See I do not mind questions or well thought out responses to things I post. But to think the response from people who disagree is to hurl insults, it is a testament to their limited mental faculties and inadeqacies at arguing or counterarguing. Wow, see all the sheep come out of the barn and all they can "bah" is insults. Way to show your intelligence there.

There is a different between being a Nigerian Citizen and being of Nigerian Descent. I specifically gave the example of the Italian who comes to America and by adopting American citizenship renounces his Italian citizenship. That his country may or may not have dual citizenship laws DOES NOT NEGATE THE FACT THAT HE IS NO LONGER AN ITALIAN CITIZEN. You start having children in the USA, you start restablishing your family and roots and paying taxes to another country, you work for US corporations, travel and purchase US products, HOW ARE YOU A CONTRIBUTING CITIZEN TO YOUR MOTHERLAND ANYMORE? You are still of Nigerian/Yoruba/Igbo/Hausa/whatever descent but you are no longer a citizen.

I am not talking about culture or ethnicity or norms here. Little Italy for example is probably as Italian as most Italian towns in Italy. BUT THEY ARE NO LONGER ITALIAN CITIZENS. Lookup what it means to be a citizen. It is more that having a FUCKING PASSPORT.

I could get Lebanese or Somlaian passports, does that make me a citizen?

ANd you know what is funny, me that is making this argument, I am a permanent resident in the United States. So there goes all your insults which assume that I am a Nigerian looking down on those in Diaspora. I AM AN AFRICAN IN DIASPORA. Does that fact still change the truth of what I have said? The problem with us Naijans is we can never look at ourselves or our actions critically. We just put blame on everyone else.

maybe with what I have said you can see why your question is irrelevant to the points i have raised. A mouse doesnt have citizenship and being a Nigerian Citizen is very different from being of Nigerian Descent. One connotes a status or state THAT ANYONE CAN ACQUIRE the other denotes ethnicity and "race"/descent. There are people of European descent that have Nigerian citizenship. It makes them Nigerian citizens. They are not of NIGERIAN DESCENT.

See the difference?

My point is simply if you no longer contribute anything to your former motherland you should not criticize it. Either you put up in solving Nigerians problems or you shut up. Coming to other so called 1st world or wealthier countries will never, WILL NEVER improve your motherland, it just does not work that way. If it did Mexico would be a better place than India, and Mexicans send back more money back to Mexico while working in the USA than any Nigerian ever can, partly due to geography.

I mean can we think critically and act like we can deduce logically and argue like we are not animals without hurling insults while not addressing any of the points raised. I mean damn.
Re: If You Adopt Foreign Citizenship You Are No Longer Nigerian! by lovemajek(f): 3:06am On Aug 16, 2007
Who are the animals?.
Re: If You Adopt Foreign Citizenship You Are No Longer Nigerian! by iice(f): 5:44am On Aug 16, 2007
I-man:

Don't mind Ferlie grin

Wasn't wondering when someone will catch that grin

and bye bye thread. . .
Re: If You Adopt Foreign Citizenship You Are No Longer Nigerian! by deor03(m): 7:33am On Aug 16, 2007
i agree with shango, I don't think it's necessary to hang on to NIGERAIN citizenship when you do not see anything good coming out of the country. If you are an american/british national just stay with that. We are ok with you being of nigerian descent NOT hanging to the two.

I am sure most of the DUAL , guys are just playing the game of if this one does not work, this one will. No doubt Nigeria is working and it will definatetly take us some time to get to our comfort zone. Most of us contributing to the growth one way or the other are NOT complaing as those people that pay lip service to the NIGERIAN project.

The middle class is getting bigger by the day in NIJA and as such a couple of us are beginning travel wide for vacation, courses, training etc to those COUNTRIES that foreign NIJA's see as their lifetime GOAL.( Most of this pro-dual guys have life time dreams of getting a foreign PALI). We see how black american/british /french are treated NOT to talk of you with an OGUNMODEDE/IRABOR/ODEMWINGWE name. You have no place there and also the gap is widening for you in NIGERIA.

so i guess for the PRO-DUAL, they or their next generation will have identity problem as they will belong NO where

sorry
Re: If You Adopt Foreign Citizenship You Are No Longer Nigerian! by BABEELOVE(f): 8:24am On Aug 16, 2007
Oh God!!! Nairaland has woken up---time to go to bed!!!! Night shift shit packers are more fun. angry

Zooooooooooms Off!
Re: If You Adopt Foreign Citizenship You Are No Longer Nigerian! by Nobody: 9:08am On Aug 16, 2007
Na wa oh, people no get problem at all
Re: If You Adopt Foreign Citizenship You Are No Longer Nigerian! by Nobody: 12:18pm On Aug 16, 2007
@babeelove
These third world countries need to be thought a lesson!
Leave the 3rd world countries alone since you dont care about them. Cos you are just not making any sense.

@Shango
Good one.

@topic
It would not be fair to relieve people with dual citizenship of their Nigerian citizenship.
What i will suggest is that those in diaspora who badmouth Nigeria as a whole, instead of the wrong policies by the leaders should better concentrate more on the affairs of their almighty US and UK.

I dont see anything wrong if a Nigerian has a UK or US citizenship, but it becomes so senseless talking down on the same NAIJA; yet when you are told not to worry about Naija and concentrate on your good adopted country, you go crazy.

I
Re: If You Adopt Foreign Citizenship You Are No Longer Nigerian! by IykeD1(m): 12:25pm On Aug 16, 2007
I didn't know those in the Diaspora (especially dual citizens) was the major problem facing Nigeria until now.
Talk about diagnosing the wrong illness. . .
Re: If You Adopt Foreign Citizenship You Are No Longer Nigerian! by ell77(f): 12:57pm On Aug 16, 2007
quote from Shango
Its one thing to work and live in another country but once you take up citizenship there you should not even be considered a Nigerian anymore.

This was my issue. I don't know how things work in America but in Britain. British born Italians call themselves Italian, same with Ghanaians, Scottish and Nigerian (I guess its different there). I personally did not hurl insults to you. But can you explain why I can't be considered Nigerian. In fact, how many people even pay taxes in Nigeria, I am sure a lot do, but you will still class those who do not pay, yet live in Nigeria as Nigerian so why can't I? Atleast I don't take anything from the government of Nigeria. How many Nigerians by foreign DVD players, ipods, generators etc are they not Nigerian? I go to a Nigerian supermarket here to buy food who imports from overseas (funding your farmers). I buy Nigerian DVDs - funding Nollywood. If I pay taxes here, it is because I am forced to and this is to receive healthcare etc, basically I am paying for a service, if I did not have a work permit I will still pay for his service through private health insurance. I don't think living in a different country means you can't associate with your country of origin.

I get what your saying about empty criticism with no offer of solutions - that's not right, the only way for Nigeria to progress is if people are able to raise solutions and act on them. But can you please look at what you post because you are using some of your bad experiences with I am sure are a lot less than 50 people in diaspora to make generalised comments effecting the millions that are abroad. We are not all like that and everyone's situation is different. Here in the UK it is hard for a Nigerian to get a work permit as they the business has to prove that they can't get employees from the host country. Applying for a job when u need a work permit is a deterrant to the business owners so perhaps that is why they go for passports also. On top of that there is the healthcare you can receive and your family. For instance if I get a work permit and I have a child it does not entitle my child to any assitancel. I can give birth in the street for all they care - I am not a citizen!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Help, I Need Two Nigerian Passport! / ₦1.9 Billion Boat Mansion That Can Stand Category 4 Hurricane In Miami(Pics) / Surviving In Nigeria On N80,000 A Month

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.