Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,475 members, 7,830,390 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 08:54 PM

Is It Right To Address Bishops As Lords? - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is It Right To Address Bishops As Lords? (9279 Views)

Lords Chosen Members Carrying Out Evangelism In Woolwich, UK (Photo, Video) / Madam Titi Surrenders To Jesus In The Lords Chosen, Testifies In Church (Video) / Lords Chosen Man: "I Fought A Demonic Cat And Killed It In Osun" (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Right To Address Bishops As Lords? by Ken4Christ: 10:23pm On Sep 11, 2022
Amumaigwe:

Even UK whose missionaries brought the Christianity you are practicing has a body called 'House of Lord'. How about that?

That still doesn't make it right. That the gospel came from you doesn't make everything you do right.

That you are a teacher doesn't mean everything you teach is correct.
Re: Is It Right To Address Bishops As Lords? by Ken4Christ: 10:27pm On Sep 11, 2022
larryUG:

Stop being unneccessarily uptight. LORD is different from lord. Nothingbwrong addressing your bishop as lord. He is lord over you. However Jesus is the Lord of lords,meaning there could be other lords

We love titles too much. And our Lord Jesus cautions against this title consciousness. Have the attitude of a servant.

No man can lord it over me. Jesus only is the Lord of my life.
Re: Is It Right To Address Bishops As Lords? by Ken4Christ: 10:38pm On Sep 11, 2022
lomprico:

Mumu!

That means no one should be addressed as king na.

Must you curse? We are all kings in Christ. No one single individual has the right and honour to that title unless it's a traditional king.

We are also called gods. Does it mean I will call another human, my god?
Re: Is It Right To Address Bishops As Lords? by Ken4Christ: 11:03pm On Sep 11, 2022
NairaMaster1:

Have you ever heard King of Kings and Lord of lords? God of all gods?

One is capital and the other is small.

I hope this helps your sentiments because I didn't see you complain about calling lawyers lord.

Don't compare the church to the secular world. Things are done differently in the two worlds. Even our Lord Jesus acknowledged this fact.
Re: Is It Right To Address Bishops As Lords? by Ken4Christ: 11:09pm On Sep 11, 2022
Freebills12:
[color=#000099][/color]

Please stop this unnecessary argument! You should have researched on the word 'Lord'. It signifies owner of a particular jurisdiction, just like Land Lord. The Bishop is in charge of a particular diocese, just as a judge is addressed as my lord.
Do you call your dad father? If yes you have fallen in to the same pedigree. If you follow it sheepishly without understanding it, then you have to go back to primary school to learn figure of speech

I understand your point. But our Lord Jesus cautions us against title consciousness. He doesn't want to to have a boss like attitude towards those under us.

Him alone is the Lord of my life.

Even the title Bishop is not a calling. It simply means overseer. In the Bible days, you don't have to be called into ministry to be a Bishop. But we have magnified it as though it's one big title that heaven itself recognizes.
Re: Is It Right To Address Bishops As Lords? by Ken4Christ: 11:16pm On Sep 11, 2022
ozoono:

Don't you call your king LORD, or some women call their husbands my Lord, so what is ur take on this? �

The secular world and titles go together. But it should not be so in the church.

A wife chooses what she calls her husband. But it is not a rule other wives must follow.

The church has its guiding rules which are the teachings of our Lord Jesus and his Apostles.

The Apostles in the Bible that occupied a very prominent position where never addressed as lords.

Most of the times, they were even called by their names.

But today, we love titles so much Even the title Reverend is not in the Bible.
Re: Is It Right To Address Bishops As Lords? by Ken4Christ: 11:17pm On Sep 11, 2022
juanmiguel:

Must you create thread? Are judges not also addressed as Lord. Kuku tell Gabriel Jesus to change his name. The pope is addressed as 'His Holiness'. This one should be your thread for next Sunday. Aigooo!

Must you comment on my thread?
Re: Is It Right To Address Bishops As Lords? by Freebills12: 11:43pm On Sep 11, 2022
[color=#770077][/color]
Ken4Christ:

I understand your point. But our Lord Jesus cautions us against title consciousness. He doesn't want to to have a boss like attitude towards those under us.

Him alone is the Lord of my life.

Even the title Bishop is not a calling. It simply means overseer. In the Bible days, you don't have to be called into ministry to be a Bishop. But we have magnified it as though it's one big title that heaven itself recognizes.

Please stop saying what you don't know. Bishops are the present day apostles, Matthias was elected an apostle to replace Judas Iscariot in Acts 1:21-26. St Paul made it categorical clear in Ephesian 4:11 that these are the gifts Christ gave to the church: the apostles, the prophets, the evangelists, and the pastors and teachers. What then is your problem?
Re: Is It Right To Address Bishops As Lords? by zimbolaa(m): 12:17am On Sep 12, 2022
Ken4Christ:

We can't change what happens in the secular world. But we can certainly insist that things are done right in the church.

Even our Lord Jesus said that leaders in the world loves titles and love to act like boss. He said it should not be so with us.
The Bible says that Jesus is the Lord of lords. If He is the Lord of lords, who are these other 'lords'?
Re: Is It Right To Address Bishops As Lords? by brainhgeek(m): 1:17am On Sep 12, 2022
KelvinCoaster:

The Judges are 'Lords' of their respective courts.They have 'powers' to do and undo within their jurisdiction.

Exactly me point
Re: Is It Right To Address Bishops As Lords? by Ken4Christ: 2:01am On Sep 12, 2022
zimbolaa:

The Bible says that Jesus is the Lord of lords. If He is the Lord of lords, who are these other 'lords'?

The other lords are lords in the secular world. He is the Supreme Lord over all lords.

It is just the same was the scripture says that Jesus is the head of all principalities and powers. Who are the principalities and powers? They are evil powers that we contend with.
Re: Is It Right To Address Bishops As Lords? by zimbolaa(m): 9:49pm On Sep 12, 2022
Ken4Christ:

The other lords are lords in the secular world. He is the Supreme Lord over all lords.

It is just the same was the scripture says that Jesus is the head of all principalities and powers. Who are the principalities and powers? They are evil powers that we contend with.
No bro. Anybody in a position of power or authority is a Lord, be it in Christendom or in the secular world and it's not out of place to address such a person as one. So, give people the respect due them and stop being rude trying to hide your pride under the garb of, "Jesus/the Bible said". The world knows how to respect and appreciate its own but those who call themselves children of God don't even know how to address those higher than them properly, one of the reasons Jesus said that, "the children of the world are wiser than the children of the kingdom". This your reasoning is just like saying you won't call your father "Father" because Jesus said somewhere in the Bible that we should not call anyone father but God.
Re: Is It Right To Address Bishops As Lords? by Ken4Christ: 6:53am On Sep 13, 2022
zimbolaa:

No bro. Anybody in a position of power or authority is a Lord, be it in Christendom or in the secular world and it's not out of place to address such a person as one. So, give people the respect due them and stop being rude trying to hide your pride under the garb of, "Jesus/the Bible said". The world knows how to respect and appreciate its own but those who call themselves children of God don't even know how to address those higher than them properly, one of the reasons Jesus said that, "the children of the world are wiser than the children of the kingdom". This your reasoning is just like saying you won't call your father "Father" because Jesus said somewhere in the Bible that we should not call anyone father but God.

So, your class teacher is your lord in class?

Show me one scripture any of the Apostles was addressed as Lord. If it was not done by those in the early church, why are we doing it?

Will the Bishop lose his respect if you address simply as Bishop or Pastor?

Our Lord Jesus taught us not to be title conscious or act like boss over those we are leading.

Very soon, we will start addressing people as my god. After all, the scripture says we are gods. How does it sound to you?
Re: Is It Right To Address Bishops As Lords? by zimbolaa(m): 1:17pm On Sep 13, 2022
Ken4Christ:

So, your class teacher is your lord in class?

Show me one scripture any of the Apostles was addressed as Lord. If it was not done by those in the early church, why are we doing it?

Will the Bishop lose his respect if you address simply as Bishop or Pastor?

Our Lord Jesus taught us not to be title conscious or act like boss over those we are leading.

Very soon, we will start addressing people as my god. After all, the scripture says we are gods. How does it sound to you?
Jesus taught us not to be title conscious, not that we should not address people by their title. If it were to be so, then why are we still addressing him as our Lord? Is that one not a title? You should have been addressing him simply as Jesus to kill your title consciousness. You are simply misinterpreting the scriptures bro. Jesus that I know has the longest list of titles in the entire world than anyone else yet he never rebuked nor chastised anyone for addressing him by any of his titles. By that Bible passage, he’s simply saying we should not have our minds set on our titles such that we allow pride take over us, not that we shouldn’t take up titles or address people by their titles. Even the word ‘apostle’ is a title. Do not allow ignorance to have the better part of you. As for your question above, the answer is yes. As long as I remain in his class, as long as he can command me and I will obey, as long as I will do his will and bidding in that same class as against mine, he is my lord. All who you passed under in life at one time or the other lorded over you whether you acknowledge it or not. They are not your saviour but your lords? Yes they were!
Re: Is It Right To Address Bishops As Lords? by Ken4Christ: 4:40pm On Sep 13, 2022
zimbolaa:

Jesus taught us not to be title conscious, not that we should not address people by their title. If it were to be so, then why are we still addressing him as our Lord? Is that one not a title? You should have been addressing him simply as Jesus to kill your title consciousness. You are simply misinterpreting the scriptures bro. Jesus that I know has the longest list of titles in the entire world than anyone else yet he never rebuked nor chastised anyone for addressing him by any of his titles. By that Bible passage, he’s simply saying we should not have our minds set on our titles such that we allow pride take over us, not that we shouldn’t take up titles or address people by their titles. Even the word ‘apostle’ is a title. Do not allow ignorance to have the better part of you. As for your question above, the answer is yes. As long as I remain in his class, as long as he can command me and I will obey, as long as I will do his will and bidding in that same class as against mine, he is my lord. All who you passed under in life at one time or the other lorded over you whether you acknowledge it or not. They are not your saviour but your lords? Yes they were!

I won't subscribe to your opinions as not even any of the Apostles were addressed as lords.

Jesus has the right to be ascribed titles without limit because he is deity and he is worthy.
Re: Is It Right To Address Bishops As Lords? by zimbolaa(m): 5:27pm On Sep 13, 2022
Ken4Christ:

I won't subscribe to your opinions as not even any of the Apostles were addressed as lords.

Jesus has the right to be ascribed titles without limit because he is deity and he is worthy.

lol, and I’ve been wasting my time arguing with you? It’s obvious you don’t even know the origin, meaning and use cases of the word you’re dragging with me. Jesus deserves it because he’s a deity? Is it gods/deities that are addressed as lord or humans? Was Jesus addressed as Lord because he’s a deity or because he’s human and considered the master of those who addressed him as such? Which deity is addressed as Lord? Moreover, there’s no way anyone could’ve called any of the apostles Lord during biblical times because both the apostles and the disciples were still one congregation under one direct leader or master Jesus whom they rightly addressed as “our Lord”, and even when they started splitting into churches, there’s no biblical record of any of the apostles being addressed by their followers for you to jump into the conclusion that they were not called lords.
Re: Is It Right To Address Bishops As Lords? by MaxInDHouse(m): 5:56pm On Sep 13, 2022
Hmmmmmmmmmmmm! smiley

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Is There Any Difference Between A Christian And A Born Again Christian. / Grace Is Not Enough / Divine Destiny Vs Natural Destiny

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.