Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,621 members, 7,816,559 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:07 PM

Is It Right To Address Bishops As Lords? - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is It Right To Address Bishops As Lords? (9251 Views)

Lords Chosen Members Carrying Out Evangelism In Woolwich, UK (Photo, Video) / Madam Titi Surrenders To Jesus In The Lords Chosen, Testifies In Church (Video) / Lords Chosen Man: "I Fought A Demonic Cat And Killed It In Osun" (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Right To Address Bishops As Lords? by Rhectz(m): 1:00pm On Sep 11, 2022
The term "lord" us just a title. In the UK, 'Lord' is used as a generic term to denote members of the peerage. Five ranks of peer exist in the United Kingdom: in descending order these are duke, marquess, earl, viscount, and baron. The appellation "Lord" is used most often by barons, who are rarely addressed by their formal and legal title of "Baron".

The bible even referred Jesus to our High Priest and Apostle, Bishop of our soul and Teacher. These aforementioned titles are very used today by clerics and that does not translate that they are made equal with God.

Jesus still remains the King of kings, Lord of lords, Bishop of bishops, Apostle of apostles etc

Meanwhile, contact us today for your NYSC Registration

Re: Is It Right To Address Bishops As Lords? by NairaMaster1(m): 1:02pm On Sep 11, 2022
Ken4Christ:
I witnessed a ceremony where one of my Pastor friend was ordained a Bishop. And the head of the school of Bishop was addressed as Lord.

I was shocked and till date, the tradition is still the same.

We have only one Lord who is Jesus.

Why address your fellow human in the house of God as Lord?

Even the Apostles in the Bible days were never addressed as Lord

What is your take?

Have you ever heard King of Kings and Lord of lords? God of all gods?

One is capital and the other is small.

I hope this helps your sentiments because I didn't see you complain about calling lawyers lord.
Re: Is It Right To Address Bishops As Lords? by Flamethehussler: 1:07pm On Sep 11, 2022
edoairways:

Did Jesus 's disciples address him as Lord? Did Apostle Paul called Timothy a son?
Lord means some one of higher rank check your dictionary
Re: Is It Right To Address Bishops As Lords? by DOM7: 1:34pm On Sep 11, 2022
I understand your concern, but there's nothing wrong with it Psalm 82:6 He said we are lords or gods "
1peter 3:6 Sarah out of respect and submission called Abraham Lord.
That's why God is the Lord of Lords,King of kings, "God of God's"
Re: Is It Right To Address Bishops As Lords? by Emmanuelellah: 1:40pm On Sep 11, 2022
Did you know the dictionary meaning of 'Lord'? Then go and call your father by name in his presence.
Re: Is It Right To Address Bishops As Lords? by IkemChris(m): 1:58pm On Sep 11, 2022
Anyone can be Lord but no one can answer Lord of Lors

1 Like

Re: Is It Right To Address Bishops As Lords? by maxkoko(m): 1:59pm On Sep 11, 2022
��������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������
Search or investigate before bla bla bla

Re: Is It Right To Address Bishops As Lords? by maxkoko(m): 2:00pm On Sep 11, 2022
IkemChris:
Anyone can be Lord but no one can answer Lord of Lors
Re: Is It Right To Address Bishops As Lords? by etrange: 2:23pm On Sep 11, 2022
Lol... so because Jesus is our Lord, the English word should now lose its meaning? Well, Jesus is also our father, why do you still call your earthly parent "father"? Jesus is also our king, why do you call the ruler of your hometown "king"?

Dude, the word "lord" means someone or something having power, authority, or influence; a master or ruler. Anybody can be a lord in different situations. Don't you call the owner of the house in which you live "landlord"? You didn't see that one, it's the bishop you saw. Lol
Re: Is It Right To Address Bishops As Lords? by PARADIZEPRIEST: 2:32pm On Sep 11, 2022
If you address judge as lord,why not bishop angrythey are small lords under God.Is act of respect for the office
Re: Is It Right To Address Bishops As Lords? by lomprico(m): 2:35pm On Sep 11, 2022
Ken4Christ:
I witnessed a ceremony where one of my Pastor friend was ordained a Bishop. And the head of the school of Bishop was addressed as Lord.

What is your take?

Mumu!

That means no one should be addressed as king na.
Re: Is It Right To Address Bishops As Lords? by awakmfon03(m): 2:45pm On Sep 11, 2022
First of all have a proper understanding of the word LORD before you give a wrong notion and wrong interpretation
Re: Is It Right To Address Bishops As Lords? by larryUG(m): 2:51pm On Sep 11, 2022
Ken4Christ:

We can't change what happens in the secular world. But we can certainly insist that things are done right in the church.

Even our Lord Jesus said that leaders in the world loves titles and love to act like boss. He said it should not be so with us.
Stop being unneccessarily uptight. LORD is different from lord. Nothingbwrong addressing your bishop as lord. He is lord over you. However Jesus is the Lord of lords,meaning there could be other lords
Re: Is It Right To Address Bishops As Lords? by Amumaigwe: 2:51pm On Sep 11, 2022
Ken4Christ:

What is your take?

Even UK whose missionaries brought the Christianity you are practicing has a body called 'House of Lord'. How about that?
Re: Is It Right To Address Bishops As Lords? by thinkmoney(m): 3:41pm On Sep 11, 2022
edoairways:

I only stated the fact because Jesus Christ was clear on who you call father. Because of your stereotypical or sentimental view of pastors, you just explain what was not said
Matthew 23:6-11; They like the most prominent place at evening meals and the front seats in the synagoguesg 7 and the greetings in the marketplaces and to be called Rabbi by men. 8 But you, do not you be called Rabbi, for one is your Teacher,h and all of you are brothers. 9 Moreover, do not call anyone your father on earth, for one is your Father,i the heavenly One. 10 Neither be called leaders, for your Leader is one, the Christ.j 11 But the greatest one among you must be your minister.

I will be praying for u
Re: Is It Right To Address Bishops As Lords? by DeKelz(m): 3:44pm On Sep 11, 2022
Is somehow confusing, but from what I observed, God is regarded as "LORD" and humans as "Lord." Spelling explains their distinction.
Re: Is It Right To Address Bishops As Lords? by Shawl001(m): 3:57pm On Sep 11, 2022
In as much as this topic looks innocent, but I perceive that the motive isn't.
So because a Bishop was called lord, you go angry...what will you do in a court of law where the judge is addressed as lord too?
So because it's in the church, it's wrong. Really?
And are you asking the question on behalf of Jesus or just you?
Is Jesus angry about it?

P.S Jesus is Lord of lords!
Re: Is It Right To Address Bishops As Lords? by thatigboman1: 5:00pm On Sep 11, 2022
Ken4Christ:

We can't change what happens in the secular world. But we can certainly insist that things are done right in the church.

Even our Lord Jesus said that leaders in the world loves titles and love to act like boss. He said it should not be so with us.
go to London, there many Lords there in their House of Lords
Re: Is It Right To Address Bishops As Lords? by edoairways: 5:14pm On Sep 11, 2022
ozoono:

Oga read ur bible well, check JOHN 13, 12-15
Ignorance is a disease
Re: Is It Right To Address Bishops As Lords? by brainhgeek(m): 5:22pm On Sep 11, 2022
I am not a Catholic but I won't directly condemn this until I get a valid reason why lawyers should call Judges 'My Lord' and Catholics cannot call their bishops 'my lord'.
Lord means someone who has an authority over you. He can dish out a command and you must obey
Re: Is It Right To Address Bishops As Lords? by mattb1(m): 5:50pm On Sep 11, 2022
Ken4Christ:

Was Sarah also wrong calling Abraham Lord?
Re: Is It Right To Address Bishops As Lords? by KelvinCoaster(m): 6:21pm On Sep 11, 2022
Its only "Anglicans" that address their Bishops as 'Lord Bishop'.

This is because, the Church of England have Bishops who are members of 'The House of Lords' so as courtesy demands they are addressed as 'Lord Bishop'.

In Nigeria there are no 'House of Lords' so it is definitely wrong to address a Bishop as Lord.

@Ken4Christ hope this answers your question?
Re: Is It Right To Address Bishops As Lords? by KelvinCoaster(m): 6:26pm On Sep 11, 2022
brainhgeek:
I am not a Catholic but I won't directly condemn this until I get a valid reason why lawyers should call Judges 'My Lord' and Catholics cannot call their bishops 'my lord'.
Lord means someone who has an authority over you. He can dish out a command and you must obey
The Judges are 'Lords' of their respective courts.They have 'powers' to do and undo within their jurisdiction.
Re: Is It Right To Address Bishops As Lords? by Livingshadow: 6:46pm On Sep 11, 2022
Ken4Christ, don't you know our Savior Jesus Christ is addressed in the Holy Scriptures as king of Kings and LORD of Lords ? And who are those other lords under Him?
Re: Is It Right To Address Bishops As Lords? by Ken4Christ: 10:06pm On Sep 11, 2022
Livingshadow:
Ken4Christ, don't you know our Savior Jesus Christ is addressed in the Holy Scriptures as king of Kings and LORD of Lords ? And who are those other lords under Him?

The scripture also says that we are gods. Does it mean we should be addressing ourselves as gods? Or when you go to functions, we should address the dignitaries as my god.
Re: Is It Right To Address Bishops As Lords? by Ken4Christ: 10:10pm On Sep 11, 2022
KelvinCoaster:
Its only "Anglicans" that address their Bishops as 'Lord Bishop'.

This is because, the Church of England have Bishops who are members of 'The House of Lords' so as courtesy demands they are addressed as 'Lord Bishop'.

In Nigeria there are no 'House of Lords' so it is definitely wrong to address a Bishop as Lord.

@Ken4Christ hope this answers your question?

That it is done in England does not make it right. The Apostles in the Bible who are far higher in status where never addressed as lords.

Well, most people love titles. But it's not the ticket to heaven. We are admonished to have a servant attitude.
Re: Is It Right To Address Bishops As Lords? by hardon1(m): 10:13pm On Sep 11, 2022
Poster you have dictionary on you phone yet you won't use it. Just here displaying your ignorance
Re: Is It Right To Address Bishops As Lords? by Ken4Christ: 10:15pm On Sep 11, 2022
mattb1:

Was Sarah also wrong calling Abraham Lord?

So, you want women to address their husbands as lords? And you would love your wife to call you lord?

I can't say that she is wrong. It was her choice and that does not make it a rule.
Re: Is It Right To Address Bishops As Lords? by Ken4Christ: 10:16pm On Sep 11, 2022
thatigboman1:
go to London, there many Lords there in their House of Lords

That is human institution. It has nothing to do with true Christianity.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Will Great Tribulation Take Place Before The Rapture? / The Word Of God Is Powerful! / Seven Important Ways To Seek The Kingdom Of Heaven

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.