Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,564 members, 7,812,829 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 08:10 PM

Is It Right To Address Bishops As Lords? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is It Right To Address Bishops As Lords? (9242 Views)

Lords Chosen Members Carrying Out Evangelism In Woolwich, UK (Photo, Video) / Madam Titi Surrenders To Jesus In The Lords Chosen, Testifies In Church (Video) / Lords Chosen Man: "I Fought A Demonic Cat And Killed It In Osun" (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Right To Address Bishops As Lords? by Originalsly: 10:20am On Sep 11, 2022
olulove:

Jesus in this context is the Lord of all Lords.

True. Same as people have their own gods ... but God is God of all gods.
Re: Is It Right To Address Bishops As Lords? by thinkmoney(m): 10:23am On Sep 11, 2022
edoairways:
Ken4Christ how does lawyer address a judge in court? Should he continue to address him that way or forget about it
law is different from religious settings or leaders.
No religious leaders should be called lord. Jesus in another place even said we should not call any religious leader father
Re: Is It Right To Address Bishops As Lords? by thinkmoney(m): 10:24am On Sep 11, 2022
Ken4Christ:

We can't change what happens in the secular world. But we can certainly insist that things are done right in the church.

Even our Lord Jesus said that leaders in the world loves titles and love to act like boss. He said it should not be so with us.
Beautiful
Re: Is It Right To Address Bishops As Lords? by phemmyfour: 10:25am On Sep 11, 2022
Ken4Christ:
I witnessed a ceremony where one of my Pastor friend was ordained a Bishop. And the head of the school of Bishop was addressed as Lord.

I was shocked and till date, the tradition is still the same.

We have only one Lord who is Jesus.

Why address your fellow human in the house of God as Lord?

Even the Apostles in the Bible days were never addressed as Lord

What is your take?
If it's non scriptural, then it's wrong

2 Likes

Re: Is It Right To Address Bishops As Lords? by edoairways: 10:25am On Sep 11, 2022
thinkmoney:
law is different from religious settings or leaders.
No religious leaders should be called lord. Jesus in another place even said we should not call any religious leader father
But same bible said respect those in authority.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Right To Address Bishops As Lords? by komekn(m): 10:28am On Sep 11, 2022
Ken4Christ:
I witnessed a ceremony where one of my Pastor friend was ordained a Bishop. And the head of the school of Bishop was addressed as Lord.

What is your take?

If it's not scriptural ( Biblical) then it's not tenable and therefore applicable.

Then how was it instituted to appease God or appease man , adopted self based culture.

Matthew 23 : 7-12

7 greetings in the marketplaces, and to be called by men, ‘Rabbi, Rabbi.’ 8 (G)But you, do not be called ‘Rabbi’; for One is your [c]Teacher, [d]the Christ, and you are all brethren. 9 Do not call anyone on earth your father; (H)for One is your Father, He who is in heaven. 10 And do not be called teachers; for One is your Teacher, the Christ. 11 But (I)he who is greatest among you shall be your servant. 12 (J)And whoever exalts himself will be [e]humbled, and he who humbles himself will be [f]exalted

Nuff Said

1 Like

Re: Is It Right To Address Bishops As Lords? by komekn(m): 10:31am On Sep 11, 2022
edoairways:

You don't have to give grandiose titles to a person to show respect.

Biden is called Mr President not his excellency Major General etc . The American still respect him immensey
Re: Is It Right To Address Bishops As Lords? by thinkmoney(m): 10:33am On Sep 11, 2022
edoairways:

Totally yes, but the bible advice against calling them lord or father or daddy. Hod knows how these things can be abused.
U can respect somebody in several other ways
Re: Is It Right To Address Bishops As Lords? by ObosiUkwalla: 10:33am On Sep 11, 2022
Tinubu is not called a DRUG LORD for nothing

Cc: seunmsg wwwihy moh247
Re: Is It Right To Address Bishops As Lords? by Evilblackman(m): 10:38am On Sep 11, 2022
Yes na
Christianity supported oppression and other demeaning attributes
Thats why slavery happened in the history of men
Re: Is It Right To Address Bishops As Lords? by Vinejay: 10:53am On Sep 11, 2022
Yes! There's nothing wrong with that. Lord means having power and authority over others. Bishops are the heads of their churches, and as such they have authority over the church.

1 Like

Re: Is It Right To Address Bishops As Lords? by edoairways: 10:56am On Sep 11, 2022
komekn:

You don't have to give grandiose titles to a person to show respect.

Biden is called Mr President not his excellency Major General etc . The American still respect him immensey
Fortunately you have to, you just called Mr Biden Mr President
Re: Is It Right To Address Bishops As Lords? by sixtuso(m): 10:56am On Sep 11, 2022
If so we shouldn't have Kings since Jesus Christ also is a King.
Re: Is It Right To Address Bishops As Lords? by Nobody: 10:57am On Sep 11, 2022
Just ordinary men wearing over sized curtains, at least the kidnappers demystified them.
Re: Is It Right To Address Bishops As Lords? by edoairways: 10:57am On Sep 11, 2022
thinkmoney:

Totally yes, but the bible advice against calling them lord or father or daddy. Hod knows how these things can be abused.
U can respect somebody in several other ways
But you can call your biological father daddy I suppose? Why not say you are not comfortable with calling them by titles instead of been generalistic ?
Re: Is It Right To Address Bishops As Lords? by thinkmoney(m): 11:10am On Sep 11, 2022
edoairways:

But you can call your biological father daddy I suppose? Why not say you are not comfortable with calling them by titles instead of been generalistic ?
Have u been following my replies? No issues calling ur biological father father or calling a judge lord. But u don't do it in religious settings to religious leaders.
Jesus implied this. Besides Jesus called his father father. But he says when it comes to religious aspect, we are all brothers
Re: Is It Right To Address Bishops As Lords? by obedience4(m): 11:14am On Sep 11, 2022
Offpoint1:
grin What's the meaning of "Lord"? cheesy

It seems religious make people 'both literate and illiterate' CONFIDENTLY daft.

Go and use the dictionary, are judges in law not called my lord??
Lord is a title for someone in high position..
Just the way they are Kings they are also lords..
Jesus in the context we Christian use is I.e Jesus is the lord of lords, or kings of kings..
We Christian are merely using English language to lift and extort the name of Jesus.
Re: Is It Right To Address Bishops As Lords? by Pat081: 11:15am On Sep 11, 2022
Buju6:
let us first ask Lawyers why they call judge Lord.
my question too
Re: Is It Right To Address Bishops As Lords? by Krismas(m): 11:21am On Sep 11, 2022
komekn:

If it's not scriptural ( Biblical) then it's not tenable and therefore applicable.

Then how was it instituted to appease God or appease man , adopted self based culture.

Matthew 23 : 7-12

7 greetings in the marketplaces, and to be called by men, ‘Rabbi, Rabbi.’ 8 (G)But you, do not be called ‘Rabbi’; for One is your [c]Teacher, [d]the Christ, and you are all brethren. 9 Do not call anyone on earth your father; (H)for One is your Father, He who is in heaven. 10 And do not be called teachers; for One is your Teacher, the Christ. 11 But (I)he who is greatest among you shall be your servant. 12 (J)And whoever exalts himself will be [e]humbled, and he who humbles himself will be [f]exalted

Nuff Said
grin Cannons of scriptural interpretation dictates u acertain exactly who Jesus was addressing at every speech.
In this particular instance, He was addressing the Apostles ONLY. They are not to have spiritual fathers or any form of overseer other than He Jesus. Then He ended the synoptic gospels by commanding them to go and disciple all nations. Meaning they shud go and raise their own disciples as he has raised dem. So they are to be fathers and masters to others. Am not sure of wot lord means. I don’t think it means wot people are saying. Otherwise nothing wrong in calling a spiritual leader father or master as in one who teaches another a trade. Except u urself are an apostle. Then ur Revelation is direct. U are not mastered by any man
Re: Is It Right To Address Bishops As Lords? by edoairways: 11:30am On Sep 11, 2022
thinkmoney:

Have u been following my replies? No issues calling ur biological father father or calling a judge lord. But u don't do it in religious settings to religious leaders.
Jesus implied this. Besides Jesus called his father father. But he says when it comes to religious aspect, we are all brothers
I only stated the fact because Jesus Christ was clear on who you call father. Because of your stereotypical or sentimental view of pastors, you just explain what was not said
Re: Is It Right To Address Bishops As Lords? by SeriouslySense(m): 11:33am On Sep 11, 2022
Lol, why are you asking all these question with obvious answers, it is not right. There is only one lord and we know who.
Re: Is It Right To Address Bishops As Lords? by ZaramT: 11:39am On Sep 11, 2022
If only you checked the dictionary meaning you wouldn't have made this unnecessary post.

1 Like

Re: Is It Right To Address Bishops As Lords? by Fiscus105(m): 11:42am On Sep 11, 2022
Pepperoniq:
Lord is just a title use in many ways... I don't know why people like making fuss about unnecessary thing... Is this one a topic. Mtchew! My Cousin Bro is answering Jesus Brook.. Tell me, His parents no suppose name him "Jesus' because it is a holy name in your Bible, abi?

When the bible even call husband lord over his wife.

Naija people with criticizing and attacking. If they ask him, the sermon of that day, he won't remember a sentence o.

3 Likes

Re: Is It Right To Address Bishops As Lords? by Fiscus105(m): 11:43am On Sep 11, 2022
Ken4Christ:

What is your take?

Can you tell us sermon of that day?
Re: Is It Right To Address Bishops As Lords? by juanmiguel: 11:46am On Sep 11, 2022
Ken4Christ:

What is your take?

Must you create thread? Are judges not also addressed as Lord. Kuku tell Gabriel Jesus to change his name. The pope is addressed as 'His Holiness'. This one should be your thread for next Sunday. Aigooo!
Re: Is It Right To Address Bishops As Lords? by ozoono(m): 11:53am On Sep 11, 2022
Ken4Christ:

We can't change what happens in the secular world. But we can certainly insist that things are done right in the church.

Even our Lord Jesus said that leaders in the world loves titles and love to act like boss. He said it should not be so with us.
Don't you call your king LORD, or some women call their husbands my Lord, so what is ur take on this? �
Re: Is It Right To Address Bishops As Lords? by ozoono(m): 11:59am On Sep 11, 2022
edoairways:

Did Jesus 's disciples address him as Lord? Did Apostle Paul called Timothy a son?
Oga read ur bible well, check JOHN 13, 12-15
Re: Is It Right To Address Bishops As Lords? by jaxxy(m): 12:05pm On Sep 11, 2022
Ken4Christ:

What is your take?

Lawyers address judges in court as my lord.

A man is the Lord of his wife in certain circles.

it's not a big deal if used In the correct context.
Re: Is It Right To Address Bishops As Lords? by Sunnyski: 12:07pm On Sep 11, 2022
It is wrong in all totality.

Read the book of Matthew 23:9
Re: Is It Right To Address Bishops As Lords? by nkemoma(m): 12:14pm On Sep 11, 2022
slawomir:
Damnnn niggar
Grab my weed to read and learn

Leave weed

It kills
Re: Is It Right To Address Bishops As Lords? by Freebills12: 12:30pm On Sep 11, 2022
[color=#000099][/color]
Ken4Christ:

Please stop this unnecessary argument! You should have researched on the word 'Lord'. It signifies owner of a particular jurisdiction, just like Land Lord. The Bishop is in charge of a particular diocese, just as a judge is addressed as my lord.
Do you call your dad father? If yes you have fallen in to the same pedigree. If you follow it sheepishly without understanding it, then you have to go back to primary school to learn figure of speech
Re: Is It Right To Address Bishops As Lords? by TheAdvocate(m): 12:50pm On Sep 11, 2022
Ken4Christ:

Judges of higher courts are referred to as "my lords".

What is your take?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Ogboni / Will Great Tribulation Take Place Before The Rapture? / Morality Demands A Moral Law Giver

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.