Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,974 members, 7,817,868 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:41 PM

Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? - Family (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? (19008 Views)

London Court Jails Nigerian Three Years For Flogging Son / Ogidi Youths Flog Man After He Was Filmed Flogging, Boxing, And Kicking His Mom / Adekunle Okunuga Suspended As A Doctor In 2015 For Flogging Son In UK Reinstated (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? by SeriouslySense(m): 11:36pm On Sep 18, 2022
You can do it, and she will appreciate the confidence in greeting her elders and been able to communicate what she needs in a repectful way.

incogni2o:

Thanks for this, its so easy to forget what I do before.

That feeling of frustration has to be consciously controlled.

Appreciate

1 Like

Re: Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? by eternalibo: 11:42pm On Sep 18, 2022
Nothing can convince me to touch a child.
The truth is that the child reflects the parents and their surroundings, so be careful of how you act, and don't expose them to social media until around 16 years old.
You reap what you sow.
Re: Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? by Probz(m): 11:48pm On Sep 18, 2022
Who in their right mind is gonna flog an innocent one-year-old baby?
Re: Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? by Probz(m): 11:49pm On Sep 18, 2022
MasterJayJay:

We fit use this rod?

Ewo.
Re: Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? by donhils: 11:58pm On Sep 18, 2022
It's not necessary and doesn't correct anything. A child less than 3 yrs old won't remember the flogging 1hr later.
I mean what can a 2yrs old baby possibly do that will result to flogging?
Re: Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? by Probz(m): 11:59pm On Sep 18, 2022
Lamasta:
Some toddlers are demon possessed which makes them act weird a times, such toddlers needs brain resetting slaps or spanks to drive out the evil spirit making them act weird atimes

Lol. Dropping the demons-line now, are-we?
Re: Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? by Fearyourcreator: 12:26am On Sep 19, 2022
flemsy15:
For me 'cane' hasn't yielded better results than 'words' used by the whites. All the areas we were flogged growing up , the whites tend to be doing much better. Areas like punctuality, hygiene, sincerity, not-stealing, Truthfulness, avoiding unnecessary noise making, avoiding unnecessary begging, orderliness, etc... the whites are performing better than us. Beating makes us see virtues as punishments
If you don see African man wey rich wey wan turn alien tell me
Re: Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? by Fearyourcreator: 12:27am On Sep 19, 2022
Romanoff:
No it's not.

Toddlers go through a hard time trying to figure out themselves, the world and their emotions. Not all they do should be taken seriously.

Some of us expect too much from them.

To correct them, tell them what they did is wrong and punish the behavior by taking away something they like for a short period of time, when you can get their attention, tell them the right way to behave.

Reward good behaviour, punish bad behaviour but not by flogging.

The moment kids reach 5 years, the flogging can begin.
Which kind punishments
Re: Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? by Fearyourcreator: 12:30am On Sep 19, 2022
Natbrowny:
Mtchewww. If dem no flog u. U think say u for get sense

If jaden smith collect slap. U think say e for no get sense. But d parent no fit lite am better slap. See aw e dey go now

In Africa, U misbehave. U chop slap.
You see am too... Them plenty like that for Yankee... Oyinbo pikin dey spoil like werey... Everyone claiming woke now...

1 Like

Re: Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? by Fearyourcreator: 12:31am On Sep 19, 2022
jefe03:

Don't complain to anybody when your child destroy your room because you seize his/her phone later on the future
Lolzzz

1 Like

Re: Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? by Fearyourcreator: 12:31am On Sep 19, 2022
frozen70:

Flogging was part of
Those days

But with this present generation, counseling is the way out

I think you should just advise her but am sure, she is just pouring her anger on those little children

You may not know what she is going through that made the children to be the recipient
Counselling.. Okay
Re: Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? by Fearyourcreator: 12:32am On Sep 19, 2022
dave601:

Flog your child when necessary, please (especially 2 and above). You don't want him/her to grow up and become a spoilt brat.

I think some young parents get soft with their children because of the media or what they observe from rich men's kids. Such will end up breeding a terribly rude, badly behaved ones.

The Bible says if you Beat him with a cane, he WILL NOT DIE (prob. 23:13).

Just don't cane with hot anger or lose your temper in the process.

God bless.
Thank you jare
Re: Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? by Helpout12345: 12:56am On Sep 19, 2022
Here we go again, everyone is forming "woke"

Nothing wrong in one or two spank for a child. Just don't flogg the child like an animal. Even oyinbo spank their children when required.

1 Like

Re: Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? by Helpout12345: 1:02am On Sep 19, 2022
frozen70:

Flogging was part of
Those days

But with this present generation, counseling is the way out

I think you should just advise her but am sure, she is just pouring her anger on those little children

You may not know what she is going through that made the children to be the recipient

Everything counseling. They have deceived you people far.

Just like married people are advised to seek "counseling" from young unmarried counselors using textbooks to solve marriage problems.

1 Like

Re: Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? by Horus(m): 1:19am On Sep 19, 2022
The United Nations International Children Education Fund (UNICEF) has revealed that 31 states of Nigeria have so far enacted the equivalents of the Child Rights Act while the five states that are yet to domesticate the law are Adamawa, Bauchi, Gombe, Kano and Zamfara

Re: Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? by sharone21(f): 1:30am On Sep 19, 2022
Draslo:
The flogging of a thing is a culture forced on us by years of slavery. You will find it all over Africa but nowhere else.

Not like Oyinbo no dey spank kids o but we go dey flog pikin like theif till he/she is 17 sef.

Growing up, dem flog me die from house and school. It only made me more rugged because I'm not a cow.

You can't find it in Cameroon ooo for sure. Cameroonians don't touch their kids. Na there u go hear say a child stab teacher in school which is rare to hear in Nigeria because teachers go surely gang up reset his brain.

I have seen opinionated toddlers of 1 year- their 'strongwillness' has already started showing and in as much as I don't support breaking their will power they need to be guided . Some will cry to manipulate you as the parent to doing what they want...Small spanking to put small fear is necessary.

There are different types of children:

Some children, mere winking at them, they take correction.

Some winking will solve nothing so u need to talk to them frequently and they will take correction.

While some, even as dem come world u already see that obstinate nature in them and may need small cane/spanking to help them and their future ( male/female).
Re: Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? by bigiyaro(m): 2:14am On Sep 19, 2022
Only poor idiots torture their little kids, upon all the child abuses by black Africans, the continent remains backwards and nonsensical.
Re: Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? by SaturnNick(m): 2:46am On Sep 19, 2022
cool shocked shocked
DaddyFreeze2020:

New International Version
Whoever spares the rod hates their children, but the one who loves their children is careful to discipline them.

New Living Translation
Those who spare the rod of discipline hate their children. Those who love their children care enough to discipline them.

English Standard Version
Whoever spares the rod hates his son, but he who loves him is diligent to discipline him.

Berean Standard Bible
He who spares the rod hates his son, but he who loves him disciplines him diligently.

King James Bible
He that spareth his rod hateth his son: but he that loveth him chasteneth him betimes.

New King James Version
He who spares his rod hates his son, But he who loves him disciplines him promptly.

New American Standard Bible
He who withholds his rod hates his son, But he who loves him disciplines him diligently.

NASB 1995
He who withholds his rod hates his son, But he who loves him disciplines him diligently.

NASB 1977
He who spares his rod hates his son, But he who loves him disciplines him diligently.

Amplified Bible
He who withholds the rod [of discipline] hates his son, But he who loves him disciplines and trains him diligently and appropriately [with wisdom and love].

Christian Standard Bible
The one who will not use the rod hates his son, but the one who loves him disciplines him diligently.

Holman Christian Standard Bible
The one who will not use the rod hates his son, but the one who loves him disciplines him diligently.

American Standard Version
He that spareth his rod hateth his son; But he that loveth him chasteneth him betimes.

Aramaic Bible in Plain English
Everyone that spares concerning his rod, hates his son, and he that loves his son disciplines him earnestly.

Brenton Septuagint Translation
He that spares the rod hates his son: but he that loves, carefully chastens him.

Contemporary English Version
If you love your children, you will correct them; if you don't love them, you won't correct them.

Douay-Rheims Bible
He that spareth the rod hateth his son: but he that loveth him correcteth him betimes.

Good News Translation
If you don't punish your children, you don't love them. If you do love them, you will correct them.

International Standard Version
Whoever does not discipline his son hates him, but whoever loves him is diligent to correct him.

JPS Tanakh 1917
He that spareth his rod hateth his son; But he that loveth him chasteneth him betimes.

Literal Standard Version
Whoever is sparing his rod is hating his son, And whoever is loving him has hurried his discipline.

New American Bible
Whoever spares the rod hates the child, but whoever loves will apply discipline.

NET Bible
The one who spares his rod hates his child, but the one who loves his child is diligent in disciplining him.

New Revised Standard Version
Those who spare the rod hate their children, but those who love them are diligent to discipline them.

New Heart English Bible
One who spares the rod hates his son, but one who loves him is careful to discipline him.

World English Bible
One who spares the rod hates his son, but one who loves him is careful to discipline him.

Young's Literal Translation
Whoso is sparing his rod is hating his son, And whoso is loving him hath hastened him chastisement.
Re: Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? by Sixfiguresmart(m): 3:23am On Sep 19, 2022
You are a very bad person
People like you have destroyed this world.
You act like you love a child that you cannot buy diapers for. You act like you are a saint while you fund abortion. You act like you love children while you allow Hollywood and Nollywood to exploit them.

Where is your voice against the exposure of toddlers to X-rated contents? All you do is attack the parents that you can never support.

Have you ever watched someone's baby for free? What have you contributed to parents in your community?

I hate all the parent-police who create laws for kids that they can neither birth or train.

Let the parents handle their children. From statistics, more children die from abortion than from parental training which is a rarity. Do not police parents on how they raise their children because when the children become a menace in the society you are the first one to say "thank God" when he gets killed.

You are attacking parents but you have not adopted any orphan. I spit on the faces of people like you. Who know nothing about the plights of parents. A good parent disciplines a child with love. People like you exploit them and expose them to wild lifestyle.

Go and suffer the consequences of the abortions that you have had before criticizing parents.

There is justice for discipline. If there are other ways to discipline a child, then you too should suffer for disciplining that child at all.

Why will you project discipline then regulate the parameters? Who are you?
mariahAngel:
There's no injustice worse than beating a child.
Whoever hurts a child will suffer the consequence(s).
There are other ways to discipline a child than torture.

1 Like

Re: Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? by Sixfiguresmart(m): 3:29am On Sep 19, 2022
My bro,
Discipline is not for blacks alone. They also get disciplined. some of their parents are old school too. they flog and they spank. they slap and they choke. do not let anyone tell you that the white man is without discipline.

apart from that, African parents go through a lot. the parents have fewer moments with the kids and they cannot play those oyibo discipline in such timeframe. African parents are mentally and physically exhausted and that also affects the way they treat the kids.

If you follow the white man's method, you will lose your child to drugs, homosexuality and know that the system is not designed to accommodate a soft black man.

a soft black man cannot survive in the place of work, on the street and even in marriages. When a black man is too soft, even his wife will desert him.

I call for discipline because when the police meet you as a black person, the treatment that they will give is what they put your parents in jail for and everyone will applaud them.
Mindlog:
No, disciplining a toddler should not involve flogging.

In as much as some Nigerians do "glorify" the beatings (some qualifies as near murder as brutality was normalized) they received as children (personally, I regard it as unhealthy coping mechanism), we need to ask how that has manifested in the adults we have in Nigeria today.

Oyibo dey spoil pikin, na the same spoilt pikins who become adults they manage their countries and many Africans with the severe beatings as children, are the ones queueing up at the embassy for Visa to those countries.

1 Like

Re: Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? by Midas01: 4:02am On Sep 19, 2022
Keep quiet abeg. Everything is not slavery. And just so you know, Asians, Arabs and every race except white flog their kids.
Draslo:
The flogging of a thing is a culture forced on us by years of slavery. You will find it all over Africa but nowhere else.

Not like Oyinbo no dey spank kids o but we go dey flog pikin like theif till he/she is 17 sef.

Growing up, dem flog me die from house and school. It only made me more rugged because I'm not a cow.

1 Like

Re: Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? by Mindlog: 4:03am On Sep 19, 2022
Sixfiguresmart:
My bro,
Discipline is not for blacks alone. They also get disciplined. some of their parents are old school too. they flog and they spank. they slap and they choke. do not let anyone tell you that the white man is without discipline.

apart from that, African parents go through a lot. the parents have fewer moments with the kids and they cannot play those oyibo discipline in such timeframe. African parents are mentally and physically exhausted and that also affects the way they treat the kids.

If you follow the white man's method, you will lose your child to drugs, homosexuality and know that the system is not designed to accommodate a soft black man.

a soft black man cannot survive in the place of work, on the street and even in marriages. When a black man is too soft, even his wife will desert him.

I call for discipline because when the police meet you as a black person, the treatment that they will give is what they put your parents in jail for and everyone will applaud them.

No one can tell me that the white man is without discipline because I live amongst them and professionally do work with children and adolescents especially those with conduct disorders. I am glad you highlighted how mental and physical exhaustion reflects in the parenting but have you paused to reflect that despite the beatings some Nigerians got as children, that they turned out to become drug addicts, sexual deviants, ritualists, kidnappers etc?, We can't say our prisons are filled with people whose parents didn't beat.

What my focus is more on, is how has the beatings majority of Nigerians received as children translated into more functional adults in Nigeria, into a more humane society?

2 Likes

Re: Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? by BluntCrazeMan: 4:06am On Sep 19, 2022
Prism:
Hello nairaland family

Before I begin let's define toddlerhood;

Toddler: 1-3 years. Preschooler: 3-5 years. School-aged: 5-12 years. Teenager: 13-18 years.

Is it necessary to start flogging toddlers?? I married a yoruba man And I noticed his sisters like flogging their kids including their toddlers. I'm not used to seeing little children being flogged not to talk of toddlers and I get this cringe feeling when I see it. Is it a cultural thing? Is that how the whole tribe Is like? Does flogging a child actually make him or her better Or is it not just child abuse
I do feel somehow seeing people flogging 2yr old, 3yr old kids. I feel somehow. What do you guys think
Must it be a heaving spank??
Children are very psychological.
Anyone that wants to beat a child that is below two years would just bring out his two fingers (index and middle fingers together) and use it as a cane and spank the child's open palm once..
It will not pain the child physically to any big extent that would last more than 3 seconds, but the psychological effect on the baby will make a difference.
The reason we discipline babies (in general) is not because they know what they are doing..
But because they don't know what they are doing, and disciplining them while correcting them helps to subconsciously re-align them and make them calm while correcting them.

1 Like

Re: Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? by oluwafynest(m): 4:07am On Sep 19, 2022
I lost interest immediately you said "is it a cultural thing?" Don't know why people act like this. Don't they beat in your tribe? Are you scared of mentioning your tribe? Must you be tribalistic? This is the problem , and we are clamouring for better Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? by Adeolajude(m): 4:12am On Sep 19, 2022
No its not right to beat your children. They are old enough to know right and wrong...please just pamper them...indulge them..give them every single thing they ask for and they will give u that your deserved. Haunted minds when they grow up...you and your society. Once again..please all of you should spare the rods you hear.
Re: Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? by phemmyfour: 4:21am On Sep 19, 2022
Prism:
Hello nairaland family

Before I begin let's define toddlerhood;

Toddler: 1-3 years. Preschooler: 3-5 years. School-aged: 5-12 years. Teenager: 13-18 years.

Is it necessary to start flogging toddlers?? I married a yoruba man And I noticed his sisters like flogging their kids including their toddlers. I'm not used to seeing little children being flogged not to talk of toddlers and I get this cringe feeling when I see it. Is it a cultural thing? Is that how the whole tribe Is like? Does flogging a child actually make him or her better Or is it not just child abuse
I do feel somehow seeing people flogging 2yr old, 3yr old kids. I feel somehow. What do you guys think
Flogging is not a child abuse if it's done appropriately.

Spear the rod and spoil the child
Re: Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? by BluntCrazeMan: 4:23am On Sep 19, 2022
Prism:

This is exactly what my sis in law told me.
Hmmm. This matter has really got me thinking
I know a child (4 years) now, who usually tells his mommy: “mommy shottop... I say shottop” - that is, whenever his mom is trying to correct him after he did something bad.
How he learnt that, the mom doesn't know.
And the mom was like: “Jnr, who taught you that? Is that what you guys learn in school?”
Jnr: “Sshhh.. Just shottop”
Mom: “Will you stop saying that to your mommy”
Jnr: “I say shottop” - (was even standing in front of her and pointing at her)
The whole thing started getting me boiled up, and I told the boy, “hey oya go to your room”..
He came over to me to start his “shottop” drama with me, and he received the “taawaii”, a measured slap that suits the size of his head.
Come and see how the mother started shivering and checking if the baby was injured.. (The boy in question didn't even cry. He just stopped the whole drama and quickly ran back to his mom)
I was just laughing at both of them.
She started telling me that it is not right to beat children., That they would learn at the appropriate time, and I asked her when exactly the appropriate time is supposed to be, and whether her boy is actually learning it already..
Well, the baby had at-least learnt how to discipline himself by himself whenever I am around.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? by BluntCrazeMan: 4:25am On Sep 19, 2022
Adeolajude:
No its not right to beat your children. They are old enough to know right and wrong ...please just pamper them...indulge them..give them every single thing they ask for and they will give u that your deserved. Haunted minds when they grow up...you and your society. Once again..please all of you should spare the rods you hear.
Come again..
Who do you say is old enough to know what is right and wrong??
A two-years-old toddler?
Re: Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? by Sixfiguresmart(m): 4:29am On Sep 19, 2022
Well, your points are absolute and highly logical. I am glad that you live in a foreign country. Here is my question, The Nigeria of which you speak is the Nigeria of the millennials, right?

I am certain that you were born before the 90ies to ask such an in-depth question. With that covered, look back in time when you were little, is the crime rate comparable to what we have today? Was it possible for Nigerians who lived abroad to return back to their villages or to the cities and live normal? Was it possible for farmers to walk deep into the forest to plant and harvest their crops? Was it possible for a married man to live in the rural towns and sponsor his child through school in the city?

Considering the fact, leads you to a conclusion that it is not the discipline but the system that incapacitates the Nigerians. Had there been a time than now when Nigerians are stigmatized abroad for bad records?

So, the older Nigerians who received the hardest discipline, grew up to condemn the discipline that they had received because they got exposed to western lifestyle and spoilt their children with poor training. This is the effect that we are seeing now.

How many sexual deviants did you know back in the early 90ies? How many ritualist before Clifford orji did you know? How many drug addicts, I mean, apart from Tinubu did you know in the 80ies? How many kidnappers or criminals before Anini did you know? Rituals, I would say has always been a part of African tradition or religion. From the west to the east and south and North, Africans have never ceased to perform rituals. But, the extent of killing for money-rituals now is overwhelming. Why didn't we have these back in the 80ies?

Now, let us talk about functional Nigerian adults. in what sector in Nigerian economy did we lack functional Nigerian adults in the 60ies, 70ies, 80ies or early 90ies? Did you know the exchange rate of the naira to the dollar? Did yo know that Nigeria was once the top world exporter? Did you know that we had the biggest economy by a far-stretched margin? Did you know how respected Nigerians were? Did you know that Nigerians had so many no-violent protests before the 9ies? Did you know that Asians came to Nigeria to learn our skills? Did you know that Nigerian graduates were highly sought after in many countries?

So, speaking about functional Nigerian adults, we had them in surplus. And, those men are the product of corporal punishment. Check the trend. Thing went south from a particular period of time. Then, check the events happening in the country at that time. Nigerians are becoming too soft now because they are no longer disciplined. There is anarchy in town. If you engage in a heated argument with a Nigerian, his next move is violence or aggression. Why? he simply has no words to commute his feelings. He knows anger cos he is not disciplined enough to know his restrictions.

Back in the days, the discipline continues. After parenting, the community holds you accountable. You have a name to defend which can in turn, have a disastrous effect on your family or career. Today, a good name is on sale. There is subtle anarchy in town because of lack of discipline.
Mindlog:

No one can tell me that the white man is without discipline because I live amongst them and professionally do work with children and adolescents especially those with conduct disorders. I am glad you highlighted how mental and physical exhaustion reflects in the parenting but have you paused to reflect that despite the beatings some Nigerians got as children, that they turned out to become drug addicts, sexual deviants, ritualists, kidnappers etc?, We can't say our prisons are filled with people whose parents didn't beat.

What my focus is more on, is how has the beatings majority of Nigerians received as children translated into more functional adults in Nigeria, into a more humane society?

1 Like

Re: Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? by obayemi204(m): 5:07am On Sep 19, 2022
Na the oyibos wey dem flog build their country. Tjose wey dem no flog don dey ruin am already. The shootings in the US, mostly by undisciplined teenagers is a typical example.
Mindlog:

In as much as some Nigerians do "glorify" the beatings (some qualifies as near murder as brutality was normalized) they received as children (personally, I regard it as unhealthy coping mechanism), we need to ask how that has manifested in the adults we have in Nigeria today.

Oyibo dey spoil pikin, na the same spoilt pikins who become adults they manage their countries and many Africans with the severe beatings as children, are the ones queueing up at the embassy for Visa to those countries.

1 Like

Re: Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? by mmsen: 5:16am On Sep 19, 2022
Karleb:
Nothing wrong with spanking children.

Corporal punishment should not lead to abuse tho.

Corporal punishment IS abuse.
Re: Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? by mmsen: 5:17am On Sep 19, 2022
Mindlog:

These people cannot reason. You are wasting your time trying to explain that which is self evident.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

What's The Obsession With Male Children About In Nigeria? / Marriage And The Sickle Cell Anaemia / Terminating A Six Month Pregnancy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.