Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,301 members, 7,815,544 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:17 PM

What's The Obsession With Male Children About In Nigeria? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / What's The Obsession With Male Children About In Nigeria? (19003 Views)

Woman Who Slept With Male Best Friend Following Quarrel With Husband, Seeks Help / Why Is There An Obsession With Male Children? / My Mum's Fate: If You Must Get Married, Avoid Male Children (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

What's The Obsession With Male Children About In Nigeria? by Mofun: 3:35pm On Mar 27, 2022
Why are most Nigerian parents obsessed about having male children? Some just keep bearing many children because they're in search of at least a male. There are instances where men even marry extra wives just in order to have male children. Please what's the fuss about?

11 Likes

Re: What's The Obsession With Male Children About In Nigeria? by Kobojunkie: 3:40pm On Mar 27, 2022
Mofun:
Why are most Nigerian parents obsessed about having male children? Some just keep bearing many children because they're in search of at least a male. There are instances where men even marry extra wives just in order to have male children. Please what's the fuss about?
Are you not a Nigerian? undecided

144 Likes 5 Shares

Re: What's The Obsession With Male Children About In Nigeria? by godofuck231: 3:45pm On Mar 27, 2022
Blood lines , its the task of a man to have a son in any way possible to continue his blood line , this very reason is why the uk needs caregivers who are migrants because the old are either homeless or abandoned , men are aware of the responsibilities in society and God has blessed them with strength to labour and provide for the family, even you his wife's aged parents he's expected to function in time of need ,the war in ukrain would have been a walk trough if there were no men to fight and defend the countrys interest, think of that for a start

265 Likes 11 Shares

Re: What's The Obsession With Male Children About In Nigeria? by Onyiiobi7735(m): 3:55pm On Mar 27, 2022
grin grin We are obsessed with male children,because of the need to descendants to carry on the family name and bloodline.

125 Likes 6 Shares

Re: What's The Obsession With Male Children About In Nigeria? by qekng40(f): 4:07pm On Mar 27, 2022
Because of lineage

And

Inheritance is also a major issue as most men prefer their sons to inherit their properties.

55 Likes 6 Shares

Re: What's The Obsession With Male Children About In Nigeria? by Polynek(m): 4:22pm On Mar 27, 2022
godofuck231:
Blood lines , its the task of a man to have a son in any way possible to continue his blood line , this very reason is why the uk needs caregivers who are migrants because the old are either homeless or abandoned , men are aware of the responsibilities in society and God has blessed them with strength to labour and provide for the family, even you his wives aged parents he's expected to function in time of need ,the war in ukrain would have been a walk trough if there were no men to fight and defend the countrys interest, think of that for a start
Nice reply

87 Likes 1 Share

Re: What's The Obsession With Male Children About In Nigeria? by Polynek(m): 4:23pm On Mar 27, 2022
Very simple
For continuity

23 Likes

Re: What's The Obsession With Male Children About In Nigeria? by DigitalStepdad: 4:30pm On Mar 27, 2022
To be blunt ... becasue society sees you as less of a man if you only have daughters... so to gain approval as a man yoi have to have a male child ... so keep forking

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: What's The Obsession With Male Children About In Nigeria? by 234GT(m): 6:24pm On Mar 27, 2022
Onyiiobi7735:
grin grin We are obsessed with male children,because of the need to descendants to carry on the family name and bloodline.

When you are dead, you don't remember anything again. You don't even remember your own first name, not to talk of family name.

Life lost meaning to me the day I saw my grandfather's corpse.

111 Likes 8 Shares

Re: What's The Obsession With Male Children About In Nigeria? by Spherical77(m): 6:42pm On Mar 27, 2022
Onyiiobi7735:
family name that has no benefit or open door to even the rightful owner of the name?

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What's The Obsession With Male Children About In Nigeria? by tensazangetsu20(m): 6:46pm On Mar 27, 2022
Spherical77:
family name that has no benefit or open door to even the rightful owner of the name?

As in eh. I was watching a documentary on twitter the other day. One bloody fool that lives at Makoko slum had 3 kids all girls in the name of looking for a male child to inherit his name. What an idiot.

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: What's The Obsession With Male Children About In Nigeria? by Kobojunkie: 6:48pm On Mar 27, 2022
tensazangetsu20:
As in eh. I was watching a documentary on twitter the other day. One bloody fool that lives at Makoko slum had 3 kids all girls in the name of looking for a male child to inherit his name. What an idiot.
Can you please post a link to said documentary. undecided

8 Likes

Re: What's The Obsession With Male Children About In Nigeria? by KanwuliaBaby: 6:54pm On Mar 27, 2022
Only in Nigeria for sure.
In this day and age?’
Mtcheeeeeeeeeew!

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What's The Obsession With Male Children About In Nigeria? by tensazangetsu20(m): 6:54pm On Mar 27, 2022
Kobojunkie:
Can you please post a link to said documentary. undecided
It's been a while over 3 weeks now.

2 Likes

Re: What's The Obsession With Male Children About In Nigeria? by jmoore(m): 7:02pm On Mar 27, 2022
The true picture is that the average Nigerian wants both gender. It is not all about looking for male.

We are 5 boys and 2 girls(twins).
My parents kept looking for a female child till the twins came.

37 Likes

Re: What's The Obsession With Male Children About In Nigeria? by Mindlog: 8:02pm On Mar 27, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: What's The Obsession With Male Children About In Nigeria? by Munzy14(m): 8:12pm On Mar 27, 2022
jmoore:
The true picture is that the average Nigerian wants both gender. It is not all about looking for male.

That is it...Most family want a mix.

8 Likes

Re: What's The Obsession With Male Children About In Nigeria? by Oyindamolah: 9:01pm On Mar 27, 2022
The most important thing is to preserve the family's name and if a girl child can't do it... Oga no go rest o... Male child has a lot of responsibility lying on their shoulders even before they were born (either with silver spoon or not)...Some female child is worth more than 10 male children put together. I have heard some women say theu prefer having a male child more than having a female child

28 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What's The Obsession With Male Children About In Nigeria? by Kobojunkie: 9:11pm On Mar 27, 2022
Oyindamolah:
The most important thing is to preserve the family's name and if a girl child can't do it... Oga no go rest o... Male child has a lot of responsibility lying on their shoulders even before they were born (either with silver spoon or not)...Some female child is worth more than 10 male children put together. I have heard some women say theu prefer having a male child more than having a female child
Stop lying abeg! The same so-called responsibilities also rest on the female child.

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: What's The Obsession With Male Children About In Nigeria? by Oyindamolah: 9:12pm On Mar 27, 2022
Kobojunkie:
Stop lying abeg! The same so-called responsibilities also rest on the female child.
List the responsibility of the female child?

8 Likes

Re: What's The Obsession With Male Children About In Nigeria? by Kobojunkie: 9:15pm On Mar 27, 2022
Oyindamolah:
List the responsibility of the female child?
The very same list you give of your male child, excepting the imagined ideas of course. undecided

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: What's The Obsession With Male Children About In Nigeria? by emmyN(m): 10:00pm On Mar 27, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

Just three kids and ya angry. Wait till you see the one that married a second wife after seven girls. The second wife finally born girl sha cheesy

40 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What's The Obsession With Male Children About In Nigeria? by Ajibade123(m): 10:40pm On Mar 27, 2022
Mofun:

Cc: RoyalRoy
Lalasticlala
do people still do this in this modern days

2 Likes

Re: What's The Obsession With Male Children About In Nigeria? by ImaIma1(f): 8:42am On Mar 28, 2022
Onyiiobi7735:

In this day and age where men are giving their children their own name as their surname instead of the family name.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: What's The Obsession With Male Children About In Nigeria? by ImaIma1(f): 8:43am On Mar 28, 2022
Ajibade123:

Maybe some. From day one my husband said he wanted 3 girls. Now I'm the one trying to break the jinx because I want a boy.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: What's The Obsession With Male Children About In Nigeria? by Mofun: 11:30am On Mar 28, 2022
Onyiiobi7735:

Okay. Now, how about those who don't worry themselves after having a few children--all girls?

2 Likes

Re: What's The Obsession With Male Children About In Nigeria? by Mofun: 11:40am On Mar 28, 2022
godofuck231:
Blood lines , its the task of a man to have a son in any way possible to continue his blood line , this very reason is why the uk needs caregivers who are migrants because the old are either homeless or abandoned , men are aware of the responsibilities in society and God has blessed them with strength to labour and provide for the family, even you his wives aged parents he's expected to function in time of need ,the war in ukrain would have been a walk trough if there were no men to fight and defend the countrys interest, think of that for a start

As regards war, it's not even every male that goes to war. I feel that if God allows you to have a male within the number of children you plan to bear (family planning matters a lot, especially with the economic reality of today) then, fine. However, if no boy is born then, why stress yourself?

4 Likes

Re: What's The Obsession With Male Children About In Nigeria? by Mofun: 11:45am On Mar 28, 2022
234GT:

When you are dead, you don't remember anything again. You don't even remember your own first name, not to talk of family name.

Life lost meaning to me the day I saw my grandfather's corpse.

That's the point. There are even some people who change their own surnames or their children's. So, who really cares about family name after all?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What's The Obsession With Male Children About In Nigeria? by Mofun: 11:47am On Mar 28, 2022
emmyN:

Just three kids and ya angry. Wait till you see the one that married a second wife after seven girls. The second wife finally born girl sha cheesy

Lol!

1 Like

Re: What's The Obsession With Male Children About In Nigeria? by Mofun: 11:49am On Mar 28, 2022
jmoore:

Wow! Looking for girls? Maybe it was your Mum.

4 Likes

Re: What's The Obsession With Male Children About In Nigeria? by godofuck231: 11:53am On Mar 28, 2022
Mofun:

As regards war, it's not even every male that goes to war. I feel that if God allows you to have a male within the number of children you plan to bear (family planning matters a lot, especially with the economic reality of today) then, fine. However, if no boy is born then, why stress yourself?
no worry no born male child first then see how you can control your home , women themselves know at a point thats they need a man in their lives , most of the girls into prostitution either had no fathers when growing or their fathers didnt impact on their lives, they hardly have regards for men

12 Likes

Re: What's The Obsession With Male Children About In Nigeria? by Mofun: 11:54am On Mar 28, 2022
Ajibade123:

Very well, Sir.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Wife Raped By Brother-in-law / How to solve this fraudulent act by Union Bank staff / Marriage And The Sickle Cell Anaemia

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.