Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,119 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:18 AM

Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? - Family (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? (19013 Views)

London Court Jails Nigerian Three Years For Flogging Son / Ogidi Youths Flog Man After He Was Filmed Flogging, Boxing, And Kicking His Mom / Adekunle Okunuga Suspended As A Doctor In 2015 For Flogging Son In UK Reinstated (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? by Karleb(m): 5:21am On Sep 19, 2022
mmsen:

Corporal punishment IS abuse.

No. It is not.

Corporal punishment is allowed in so many states in USA.
Re: Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? by Clicked: 5:47am On Sep 19, 2022
DaddyFreeze2020:

New International Version
Whoever spares the rod hates their children, but the one who loves their children is careful to discipline them.

New Living Translation
Those who spare the rod of discipline hate their children. Those who love their children care enough to discipline them.

English Standard Version
Whoever spares the rod hates his son, but he who loves him is diligent to discipline him.

Berean Standard Bible
He who spares the rod hates his son, but he who loves him disciplines him diligently.

King James Bible
He that spareth his rod hateth his son: but he that loveth him chasteneth him betimes.

New King James Version
He who spares his rod hates his son, But he who loves him disciplines him promptly.

New American Standard Bible
He who withholds his rod hates his son, But he who loves him disciplines him diligently.

NASB 1995
He who withholds his rod hates his son, But he who loves him disciplines him diligently.

NASB 1977
He who spares his rod hates his son, But he who loves him disciplines him diligently.

Amplified Bible
He who withholds the rod [of discipline] hates his son, But he who loves him disciplines and trains him diligently and appropriately [with wisdom and love].

Christian Standard Bible
The one who will not use the rod hates his son, but the one who loves him disciplines him diligently.

Holman Christian Standard Bible
The one who will not use the rod hates his son, but the one who loves him disciplines him diligently.

American Standard Version
He that spareth his rod hateth his son; But he that loveth him chasteneth him betimes.

Aramaic Bible in Plain English
Everyone that spares concerning his rod, hates his son, and he that loves his son disciplines him earnestly.

Brenton Septuagint Translation
He that spares the rod hates his son: but he that loves, carefully chastens him.

Contemporary English Version
If you love your children, you will correct them; if you don't love them, you won't correct them.

Douay-Rheims Bible
He that spareth the rod hateth his son: but he that loveth him correcteth him betimes.

Good News Translation
If you don't punish your children, you don't love them. If you do love them, you will correct them.

International Standard Version
Whoever does not discipline his son hates him, but whoever loves him is diligent to correct him.

JPS Tanakh 1917
He that spareth his rod hateth his son; But he that loveth him chasteneth him betimes.

Literal Standard Version
Whoever is sparing his rod is hating his son, And whoever is loving him has hurried his discipline.

New American Bible
Whoever spares the rod hates the child, but whoever loves will apply discipline.

NET Bible
The one who spares his rod hates his child, but the one who loves his child is diligent in disciplining him.

New Revised Standard Version
Those who spare the rod hate their children, but those who love them are diligent to discipline them.

New Heart English Bible
One who spares the rod hates his son, but one who loves him is careful to discipline him.

World English Bible
One who spares the rod hates his son, but one who loves him is careful to discipline him.

Young's Literal Translation
Whoso is sparing his rod is hating his son, And whoso is loving him hath hastened him chastisement.

Lol, quoting the bible, given to you by the white man. The same white man who no longer believes in flogging his child and now raises 'spoilt' children in countries where your 'moral' children are running to.

The bible also believed in slavery but I'm pretty sure you'd condemn being chained and having a padlock put to your lips.

Black man, will you ever be free?
Re: Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? by bamiworld(m): 5:54am On Sep 19, 2022
Prism:
Hello nairaland family

Before I begin let's define toddlerhood;

Toddler: 1-3 years. Preschooler: 3-5 years. School-aged: 5-12 years. Teenager: 13-18 years.

Is it necessary to start flogging toddlers?? I married a yoruba man And I noticed his sisters like flogging their kids including their toddlers. I'm not used to seeing little children being flogged not to talk of toddlers and I get this cringe feeling when I see it. Is it a cultural thing? Is that how the whole tribe Is like? Does flogging a child actually make him or her better Or is it not just child abuse
I do feel somehow seeing people flogging 2yr old, 3yr old kids. I feel somehow. What do you guys think

I dont think using cane or rod as mention in the bible is good for toddlers. Because what ever those kids r doing was from the reflection of what they see around them. So if you want to correct someone that knows nothing about what he/she is doing then it is better not to beat with either cane or anything that might one way injured them.
I have a case of a lady who beat her daughter (2years old) because she tore the last money she have with her to the point that the cane mistakenly enter the baby eye and thats how she lost her eye.

As for me i dont like to use cane for a toddlers but i can punish them by asking them to run the compound 2-5times (depending on how strong i think the child is) and come to do yoga. After that they sleep. Little children hate when you stop them from playing with their friends or their toys. So that is the right way for me to correct them without injuring them at all
Re: Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? by Romanoff(f): 6:04am On Sep 19, 2022
Fearyourcreator:

Which kind punishments

Could be a tab, a toy, a snack.
Re: Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? by Elidrisy20: 6:16am On Sep 19, 2022
Which kind talk be this? Na only Yoruba dey flogg there children, for una house/community you never see where them dey flogg some one?
Re: Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? by frozen70(f): 6:30am On Sep 19, 2022
Helpout12345:

Everything counseling. They have deceived you people far.

Just like married people are advised to seek "counseling" from young unmarried counselors using textbooks to solve marriage problems.

You got it wrong

When you use words of mouth on someone, tye the things you tell that person would never leave that person

When you keep beating a child, the child will get tougher and you loose every thing

That doesn't mean that you will not beat the child but do more of words advise and counseling

1 Like

Re: Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? by NoToPile: 7:03am On Sep 19, 2022
Loool, I had to go read this topic again to see if it was talking about flogging or spanking, then in toddlers not older children.

Because the way some people are talking about this one would think the OP didn't specify the age range she meant.
Re: Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? by mmsen: 8:03am On Sep 19, 2022
Karleb:

No. It is not.

Corporal punishment is allowed in so many states in USA.

It is still abuse. It is outlawed in much of western Europe.

America is a terrible example - it is by far and away the most violent, crime ridden nation in the industrialized world.
Re: Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? by Xmen149(m): 8:04am On Sep 19, 2022
I remember a book on raising child and child psychology I saw laying around in the house in my secondary school days. I did read it and one particular page stuck till today.

It says that infants brains are vacuum but continuously pick information from response to what they do and the environment.as they poop you pack,they cry you attend. As they add in age they make demands you refuse they threaten you with Cry's etc you yield. Over time you as the parents have to take all those back or lose your respect.

You command them where to poop,let them know that it's what you want that should happen and this might include instilling fear where ever necessary.

Worse is if you are a working parents the infants will tend to pick up more traits from outside more so the earlier the better.

Women tend to fail at this correction phase far more than me.or implement it the wrong way more often
Re: Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? by Theunbothered: 8:04am On Sep 19, 2022
being:
Ain't we? We are until u see d larger system has no checks & balances... the west have checks & balances to deal with corruption.
U should also note what u deal with just 1 or 2 beatings, u can keep using words for years

Who do you think makes up the larger system if not people?

Nigeria is the way it is because Nigerians lack emotional intelligence, always using force to solve problems that require brain.
Re: Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? by Mindlog: 8:08am On Sep 19, 2022
Sixfiguresmart:
Well, your points are absolute and highly logical. I am glad that you live in a foreign country. Here is my question, The Nigeria of which you speak is the Nigeria of the millennials, right?

I am certain that you were born before the 90ies to ask such an in-depth question. With that covered, look back in time when you were little, is the crime rate comparable to what we have today? Was it possible for Nigerians who lived abroad to return back to their villages or to the cities and live normal? Was it possible for farmers to walk deep into the forest to plant and harvest their crops? Was it possible for a married man to live in the rural towns and sponsor his child through school in the city?

Considering the fact, leads you to a conclusion that it is not the discipline but the system that incapacitates the Nigerians. Had there been a time than now when Nigerians are stigmatized abroad for bad records?

So, the older Nigerians who received the hardest discipline, grew up to condemn the discipline that they had received because they got exposed to western lifestyle and spoilt their children with poor training. This is the effect that we are seeing now.

How many sexual deviants did you know back in the early 90ies? How many ritualist before Clifford orji did you know? How many drug addicts, I mean, apart from Tinubu did you know in the 80ies? How many kidnappers or criminals before Anini did you know? Rituals, I would say has always been a part of African tradition or religion. From the west to the east and south and North, Africans have never ceased to perform rituals. But, the extent of killing for money-rituals now is overwhelming. Why didn't we have these back in the 80ies?

Now, let us talk about functional Nigerian adults. in what sector in Nigerian economy did we lack functional Nigerian adults in the 60ies, 70ies, 80ies or early 90ies? Did you know the exchange rate of the naira to the dollar? Did yo know that Nigeria was once the top world exporter? Did you know that we had the biggest economy by a far-stretched margin? Did you know how respected Nigerians were? Did you know that Nigerians had so many no-violent protests before the 9ies? Did you know that Asians came to Nigeria to learn our skills? Did you know that Nigerian graduates were highly sought after in many countries?

So, speaking about functional Nigerian adults, we had them in surplus. And, those men are the product of corporal punishment. Check the trend. Thing went south from a particular period of time. Then, check the events happening in the country at that time. Nigerians are becoming too soft now because they are no longer disciplined. There is anarchy in town. If you engage in a heated argument with a Nigerian, his next move is violence or aggression. Why? he simply has no words to commute his feelings. He knows anger cos he is not disciplined enough to know his restrictions.

Back in the days, the discipline continues. After parenting, the community holds you accountable. You have a name to defend which can in turn, have a disastrous effect on your family or career. Today, a good name is on sale. There is subtle anarchy in town because of lack of discipline.

I read all you posted but would love to focus on the highlighted and I am glad you brought that up.

Aggression that is very prevalent in Nigeria is as a result of repression of feelings...... from childhood, overwhelming majority of us were not socialized to verbally express our feelings as it has always been regarded as being "ill mannered". Many Nigerian families didn't and still don't provide a safe space for their young ones to express themselves, many were raised to repress for fear of punishment . So when they become adults and no longer fear of being punished, they "explode".

Lest, I forget.....the overwhelming majority of today's Nigerian leaders are products of corporal punishment and we know where we are today. Corporal punishments do not transmit values, it aids in repressing emotions that would very likely manifest in some other forms.

2 Likes

Re: Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? by Xmen149(m): 8:08am On Sep 19, 2022
As for me I will spank my kids if it comes to that,. little ones can receive theirs with finger and words when necessary..but at teen age it's words only.. anything you can't achieve before then you have lost

1 Like

Re: Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? by Mindlog: 8:11am On Sep 19, 2022
obayemi204:
Na the oyibos wey dem flog build their country. Tjose wey dem no flog don dey ruin am already. The shootings in the US, mostly by undisciplined teenagers is a typical example.

Why Nigeria whey dem flog almost all of us, neva better pass all those countries whey no dey beat their pikin, we dey queue up for their visa?

1 Like

Re: Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? by TheKrakon: 8:20am On Sep 19, 2022
Draslo:
The flogging of a thing is a culture forced on us by years of slavery. You will find it all over Africa but nowhere else.

Not like Oyinbo no dey spank kids o but we go dey flog pikin like theif till he/she is 17 sef.

Growing up, dem flog me die from house and school. It only made me more rugged because I'm not a cow.

Then school na military baracks. Some schools dey know for flogging. I no think say e still be like that.
Re: Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? by Yandex22: 8:30am On Sep 19, 2022
No I don't support it in any way,they are called toddlers please.
Meanwhile if you wanna make money online just read this.
Title:None,Content:I have got an online project work, I have been doing this kind of project work for 5 years. I have 25 workers who are still working with me for the past 3 years and this time I need 7 workers to complete this project. It's a short and easy work like copy and paste.
This project work will continue for 3 months and to do the work you will need a mobile phone or PC.
Every day you have to work at least 8 hours and you can do this from anywhere.
If you work with me then I will pay you $30 per hour ,so if you're interested complete this task below. Thanks for your response here's the link sh-link.me/lsFKE or copy the link to your browser
Re: Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? by Lamasta(m): 8:38am On Sep 19, 2022
GboyegaD:

Abeg, those wey dem beat like kilode growing up in the name of way s/he should grow no be dem dey do hookup, yahoo etc?

The ones that are well behaved its because they are well trained and guided cool

1 Like

Re: Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? by Lamasta(m): 8:41am On Sep 19, 2022
Probz:

Lol. Dropping the demons-line now, are-we?
Some spanks drive away wicked spirits from toddler's grin

2 Likes

Re: Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? by Cleanworld(f): 9:01am On Sep 19, 2022
Prism:
Hello nairaland family

Toddler: 1-3 years. Preschooler: 3-5 years. School-aged: 5-12 years. Teenager: 13-18 years.

Is it necessary to start flogging toddlers?? I married a yoruba man And I noticed his sisters like flogging their kids including their toddlers. I'm not used to seeing little children being flogged not to talk of toddlers and I get this cringe feeling when I see it. Is it a cultural thing? Is that how the whole tribe Is like? Does flogging a child actually make him or her better Or is it not just child abuse
I do feel somehow seeing people flogging 2yr old, 3yr old kids. I feel somehow. What do you guys think

Send her this vids

There are some thing we all need to learn.

Most times we act out of ignorance.

[url] https://fb.watch/fDSKl3ABQN/ [/url]

[url] https://fb.watch/fDSPkSxF-h/ [/url]

https://fb.watch/fDSKl3ABQN/

https://fb.watch/fDSPkSxF-h/
Re: Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? by membranus: 9:02am On Sep 19, 2022
slawomir:
Damnnn niggar

I think it is not necessary

If your people have been flogging you from your childhood you would not have easily turn to crime, and promoting it, as you are doing now.

So mild rebuke by rod or threatening is good for kids.

1 Like

Re: Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? by Sixfiguresmart(m): 9:04am On Sep 19, 2022
Okay, let us pretend that corporal punishment brought us here. We are richer than a few countries that I know of that are not examples of corporal punishment. Let us talk about Venezuela and Cuba for a minute. Two countries that I am privileged to have visited. What is the reason for their pervasiveness or economic downfall? Need I mention the Philippines? Nepal? Or Morocco?

if we have to focus on aggression, why are the Egyptians more aggressive than Nigerians? Or, why are Arabs more aggressive than Nigerians?

The actual products of corporal punishment are not the leaders who are in power. Everyone in power today is a product of nepotism. In Saudi Arabia, you are being monitored like a little child. There is Shariah in place that serves instant justice.

Like I said earlier, the anarchical system paved way for lack of accountability. Even the men in power today will tell you of how it was yesterday. They know! The reason why they do not promote it is because they will lose control of power or they might indict themselves by so doing.

The number of serial murder cases is higher in white neighborhoods where kids are overly spoilt and raised to be soft balls. The suicide rate is higher in India and in the white communities where people are raised like eggs and glass. Nigeria is not the world capital of pervasion. Give that to the US and many other western countries. Nudity is still restricted in Nigeria. How many girls feel comfortable in bikinis in Nigeria? hardly a few. How many girls are actually into this runs business? I know the number is high due to our population, but the level of sex trafficking and sex exploitation in Vietnam or in the Asian continent is mindboggling in comparison to Nigeria.

Are Nigerians truly repressive of their sentiments? No! Nigerians are in the top ten league of the loudest people in the world. Travel around and foreigners will tell you. Many of these are people who have no name to be accountable for. Nigerians are very vociferous and expressive. The only issue here is that when a Nigerian is in a premise of anarchy, he tends to exploit violence as an option. . They have absolutely immersed themselves in the absence of lack of accountability. Nigerians throw curveballs because there is no discipline. Nigerians are the most disciplined in places where discipline trends. Go look for Nigerians in Ireland, in Angola, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Trinidad and Tobago, etc. They have a good name because they are held hostage. You can see that Nigerians are currently being contained in the UAE now since the grip got lose they showed the government that they throw curveballs. Now that the government tightens it, go and see how well-disciplined Nigerians are becoming in the UAE.

If you talk about people who instill fear in children, you go to Asia. Places where people are killed for violating simple family traditions. They call it honor killing. A woman has no right to fall in love or be loved. People are traded like goods. A man cannot decide who to marry. Those are people who are raised suppressively. Nigerian parents discipline you for a particular misconduct. Not a perpetual control of feelings. Respect you might say, is regarding elders or speaking against and institution. Which is obtainable in the palace of the queen as well.

I do enjoy talking with sound minds like you cos the challenge and exchange is good . But, the impact of anarchy is fuels the curveball. Nigerians are very decent if they want to be. All these thieves in power feel absolute cos of the anarchy.
Mindlog:

I read all you posted but would love to focus on the highlighted and I am glad you brought that up.

Aggression that is very prevalent in Nigeria is as a result of repression of feelings...... from childhood, overwhelming majority of us were not socialized to verbally express our feelings as it has always been regarded as being "ill mannered". Many Nigerian families didn't and still don't provide a safe space for their young ones to express themselves, many were raised to repress for fear of punishment . So when they become adults and no longer fear of being punished, they "explode".

Lest, I forget.....the overwhelming majority of today's Nigerian leaders are products of corporal punishment and we know where we are today. Corporal punishments do not transmit values, it aids in repressing emotions that would very likely manifest in some other forms.

1 Like

Re: Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? by Mindlog: 9:28am On Sep 19, 2022
Sixfiguresmart:
Okay, let us pretend that corporal punishment brought us here. We are richer than a few countries that I know of that are not examples of corporal punishment. Let us talk about Venezuela and Cuba for a minute. Two countries that I am privileged to have visited. What is the reason for their pervasiveness or economic downfall? Need I mention the Philippines? Nepal? Or Morocco?

if we have to focus on aggression, why are the Egyptians more aggressive than Nigerians? Or, why are Arabs more aggressive than Nigerians?

The actual products of corporal punishment are not the leaders who are in power. Everyone in power today is a product of nepotism. In Saudi Arabia, you are being monitored like a little child. There is Shariah in place that serves instant justice.

Like I said earlier, the anarchical system paved way for lack of accountability. Even the men in power today will tell you of how it was yesterday. They know! The reason why they do not promote it is because they will lose control of power or they might indict themselves by so doing.

The number of serial murder cases is higher in white neighborhoods where kids are overly spoilt and raised to be soft balls. The suicide rate is higher in India and in the white communities where people are raised like eggs and glass. Nigeria is not the world capital of pervasion. Give that to the US and many other western countries. Nudity is still restricted in Nigeria. How many girls feel comfortable in bikinis in Nigeria? hardly a few. How many girls are actually into this runs business? I know the number is high due to our population, but the level of sex trafficking and sex exploitation in Vietnam or in the Asian continent is mindboggling in comparison to Nigeria.

Are Nigerians truly repressive of their sentiments? No! Nigerians are in the top ten league of the loudest people in the world. Travel around and foreigners will tell you. Many of these are people who have no name to be accountable for. Nigerians are very vociferous and expressive. The only issue here is that when a Nigerian is in a premise of anarchy, he tends to exploit violence as an option. . They have absolutely immersed themselves in the absence of lack of accountability. Nigerians throw curveballs because there is no discipline. Nigerians are the most disciplined in places where discipline trends. Go look for Nigerians in Ireland, in Angola, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Trinidad and Tobago, etc. They have a good name because they are held hostage. You can see that Nigerians are currently being contained in the UAE now since the grip got lose they showed the government that they throw curveballs. Now that the government tightens it, go and see how well-disciplined Nigerians are becoming in the UAE.

If you talk about people who instill fear in children, you go to Asia. Places where people are killed for violating simple family traditions. They call it honor killing. A woman has no right to fall in love or be loved. People are traded like goods. A man cannot decide who to marry. Those are people who are raised suppressively. Nigerian parents discipline you for a particular misconduct. Not a perpetual control of feelings. Respect you might say, is regarding elders or speaking against and institution. Which is obtainable in the palace of the queen as well.

I do enjoy talking with sound minds like you cos the challenge and exchange is good . But, the impact of anarchy is fuels the curveball. Nigerians are very decent if they want to be. All these thieves in power feel absolute cos of the anarchy.

My interest has always been to have a clinical insights of the human mind and most especially that of children thus my relocation to the UK for my specialization in clinical child psychology, I see some immigrants parents here (especially Africans) who struggle with parenting as they struggle to find a balance when it comes to disciplining their kids, beating which is already ingrained in them or what is acceptable by UK standard.

I work in a facility that has young ones with conduct disorders and undergoing the Management Of Actual And Potential Aggression (MAPA ) training was essential before starting the job because my role involves continually being faced with unruly kids who by "Nigerian way" you will beat the hell out but my clinical child psychology background reminds me, that is not the way to go and can equally physically put them under control utilizing my MAPA skills.

Society and the people in it are evolving at a fast pace and the reality is that we must continually seek out what would keep the majority of the people on the "right path" (though right path is relative)

1 Like

Re: Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? by Sixfiguresmart(m): 9:49am On Sep 19, 2022
Mindlog:

My interest has always been to have a clinical insights of the human mind and most especially that of children thus my relocation to the UK for my specialization in clinical child psychology, I see some immigrants parents here (especially Africans) who struggle with parenting as they struggle to find a balance when it comes to disciplining their kids, beating which is already ingrained in them or what is acceptable by UK standard.

I work in a facility that has young ones with conduct disorders and undergoing the Management Of Actual And Potential Aggression (MAPA ) training was essential before starting the job because my role involves continually being faced with unruly kids who by "Nigerian way" you will beat the hell out but my clinical child psychology background reminds me, that is not the way to go and can equally physically put them under control utilizing my MAPA skills.

Society and the people in it are evolving at a fast pace and the reality is that we must continually seek out what would keep the majority of the people on the "right path" (though right path is relative)
Well, I have interracial kids that I discipline in a defined way. I have my own ways because I am old school. My ex is of that western system but I ensured that from the early stage the issue of anger management never surfaced. They are well-mannered and they see that respect is one of the factors in Africa.

I do not see them as I would want to but we hang out and I teach them what discipline is. one thing that I cannot tolerate is destructive kids. I'd better go to jail than allow that to happen to my kids.

I want you to put yourself in the place of the people that we reference. Are you like them? How did you break out of that hold? I am very expressive. I am hardly violent and I am a big guy. Even when I get pushed, I know that if I lift my hands on anyone who doesn't look like me, it might be destructive. I am a product of corporal punishment just as you. I am very aware of the consequences of my actions. I have lived almost 30 years in a civilized world so I should know better

The fact is that, different stroke applies to different folks. Some kids take order from just a stare. some require literal manhandling. some of them you have to actually bully them to make them feel small.

I totally get you and I am challenging you in your profession cos you are the expert in this but this is my own experience.

Some parents do find it difficult to cope. That is true. My sister had to leave The States with her family to Lagos for five years just to fix the kids who were at the time running out of control. It worked for them.

I am old school and I always advise black parents to begin discipline at a tender age. Because the system will corrupt your child and eventually send him to prison for you or place a knee on his neck.

I really cannot teach someone how to handle his kids but for mine, you gotta be disciplined. And, whatever attitude you bring, you will get a rebound. And, I feel discipline thrives on intent. A child knows if it is love because it shows. What do you do afterward? Just discipline and another discipline?

You guys are the experts and I do not subscribe to anyone saying NO to discipline. But if one presents a subjective disciplinary formula, I am all in.

1 Like

Re: Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? by Exceed15: 9:54am On Sep 19, 2022
A situation where a toddler throws object or spoils things when angry should be mildly spanked. Na so e dey start o
Re: Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? by Fearyourcreator: 10:38am On Sep 19, 2022
Romanoff:

Could be a tab, a toy, a snack.
Add kpokpoff
Re: Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? by Tegabadguy(m): 10:52am On Sep 19, 2022
Prism:
Hello nairaland family

is not necessary
Re: Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? by Lekan239(m): 12:01pm On Sep 19, 2022
Prism:
Hello nairaland family

yes na, like the yorubas are onfe manu and the hausas are onye Nama. You can only come from one tribe (igbo) only people from there can be so tribalistic and sentimental
Re: Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? by leofab(f): 12:07pm On Sep 19, 2022
boxer022:

She told you the truth and it is a well known fact. By the time they remember that mummy or daddy will cane them, they will desist from doing anything that might cause it.
you mean they will be doing it secretly ?
Re: Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? by xdrive(m): 12:20pm On Sep 19, 2022
DaddyFreeze2020:

New International Version
Whoever spares the rod hates their children, but the one who loves their children is careful to discipline them.

New Living Translation
Those who spare the rod of discipline hate their children. Those who love their children care enough to discipline them.

English Standard Version
Whoever spares the rod hates his son, but he who loves him is diligent to discipline him.

Berean Standard Bible
He who spares the rod hates his son, but he who loves him disciplines him diligently.

King James Bible
He that spareth his rod hateth his son: but he that loveth him chasteneth him betimes.

New King James Version
He who spares his rod hates his son, But he who loves him disciplines him promptly.

New American Standard Bible

NASB 1995

NASB 1977
He who spares his rod hates his son, But he who loves him disciplines him diligently.

Amplified Bible
He who withholds the rod [of discipline] hates his son, But he who loves him disciplines and trains him diligently and appropriately [with wisdom and love].

Christian Standard Bible

Holman Christian Standard Bible

American Standard Version

Aramaic Bible in Plain English
Everyone that spares concerning his rod, hates his son, and he that loves his son disciplines him earnestly.

Brenton Septuagint Translation
He that spares the rod hates his son: but he that loves, carefully chastens him.

Contemporary English Version
If you love your children, you will correct them; if you don't love them, you won't correct them.

Douay-Rheims Bible
He that spareth the rod hateth his son: but he that loveth him correcteth him betimes.

Good News Translation
If you don't punish your children, you don't love them. If you do love them, you will correct them.

International Standard Version
Whoever does not discipline his son hates him, but whoever loves him is diligent to correct him.

JPS Tanakh 1917

Literal Standard Version
Whoever is sparing his rod is hating his son, And whoever is loving him has hurried his discipline.

New American Bible
Whoever spares the rod hates the child, but whoever loves will apply discipline.

NET Bible
The one who spares his rod hates his child, but the one who loves his child is diligent in disciplining him.

New Revised Standard Version
Those who spare the rod hate their children, but those who love them are diligent to discipline them.

New Heart English Bible

World English Bible

Young's Literal Translation
Whoso is sparing his rod is hating his son, And whoso is loving him hath hastened him chastisement.

Take note, the Old Testament was written under Law where fear of God was the ultimate for godly living.
Under the dispensation of grace, love of God is the yardstick.
Using the rod depends on the foundation and the example the parents show them.
When punishment is extreme, you are ruling with "fear". If love is balanced, a parent won't need to go to the extreme to correct her own child which she has been grooming under love.
Love is not the absent of guidance and correction but the correction is never extreme in love.
Re: Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? by Ocnat: 12:41pm On Sep 19, 2022
MasterJayJay:

We fit use this rod?
grin
MasterJayJay:

We fit use this rod?
Re: Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? by Munzy14(m): 1:18pm On Sep 19, 2022
mariahAngel:
There's no injustice worse than beating a child.
Whoever hurts a child will suffer the consequence(s).
There are other ways to discipline a child than torture.
You attached emotions to this.

Spare the rod and spoil the child.

If a child misbehaves, aña(cain) ga aru ya oru na ahu...African way. sad
Re: Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? by GboyegaD(m): 1:19pm On Sep 19, 2022
Lamasta:

The ones that are well behaved its because they are well trained and guided cool

Then it wasn't necessarily the flogging but the responsible parenting they experienced.
Re: Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? by mariahAngel(f): 1:29pm On Sep 19, 2022
Munzy14:

You attached emotions to this.

Spare the rod and spoil the child.

If a child misbehaves, aña(cain) ga aru ya oru na ahu...African way. sad

Emotions are a part of me.

When I say beat, I didn't mean the normal shaa aka gi type that is appropriate to correct a child.

You should see where some beastly adults are torturing helpless children, in the name of disciplining them, just because they can. Ugh!
I just can't deal.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

What's The Obsession With Male Children About In Nigeria? / Marriage And The Sickle Cell Anaemia / Terminating A Six Month Pregnancy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 145
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.