Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,943 members, 7,817,768 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:10 PM

Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? - Family (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? (19005 Views)

London Court Jails Nigerian Three Years For Flogging Son / Ogidi Youths Flog Man After He Was Filmed Flogging, Boxing, And Kicking His Mom / Adekunle Okunuga Suspended As A Doctor In 2015 For Flogging Son In UK Reinstated (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? by ednut1(m): 1:38pm On Sep 19, 2022
Prism:
Hello nairaland family

Before I begin let's define toddlerhood;

Toddler: 1-3 years. Preschooler: 3-5 years. School-aged: 5-12 years. Teenager: 13-18 years.

Is it necessary to start flogging toddlers?? I married a yoruba man And I noticed his sisters like flogging their kids including their toddlers. I'm not used to seeing little children being flogged not to talk of toddlers and I get this cringe feeling when I see it. Is it a cultural thing? Is that how the whole tribe Is like? Does flogging a child actually make him or her better Or is it not just child abuse
I do feel somehow seeing people flogging 2yr old, 3yr old kids. I feel somehow. What do you guys think
go to countries where they dont beat children and see how they are behaving

1 Like

Re: Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? by Nobody: 2:15pm On Sep 19, 2022
incogni2o:

Be careful Bro.

This is not a time to joke about this.

Future happiness is important.

Discipline a child firmly and also Love Dearly.

I'm talking and moulding him, can't use violence to solve violence all the time. He is strong spirited, I don't want to break him. He will need the fighting spirit in life

1 Like

Re: Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? by Munzy14(m): 2:28pm On Sep 19, 2022
mariahAngel:

Emotions are a part of me.

When I say beat, I didn't mean the normal shaa aka gi type that is appropriate to correct a child.

You should see where some beastly adults are torturing helpless children, in the name of disciplining them, just because they can. Ugh!
I just can't deal.
Cool.

I will agree if it is not a case of hurting an innocent child..Mana nwata me suo ahia, utari aga ya na ahu..

Though not all the time..

So Di gi piawa umu unu ihe, ga si ya mba? cheesy
Re: Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? by Karleb(m): 2:39pm On Sep 19, 2022
mmsen:

It is still abuse. It is outlawed in much of western Europe.

America is a terrible example - it is by far and away the most violent, crime ridden nation in the industrialized world.

Asian countries allow Corporal punishment and they turn out to be better humans than most American and European adults.

What is your basis for saying Corporal punishment is abuse?

1 Like

Re: Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? by mariahAngel(f): 2:43pm On Sep 19, 2022
Munzy14:

Cool.

I will agree if it is not a case of hurting an innocent child..Mana nwata me suo ahia, utari aga ya na ahu..

Though not all the time..

So Di gi piawa umu unu ihe, ga si ya mba? cheesy

M ga si ya piashi ha ike ma ha mee ihe ojoo. grin grin
Re: Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? by bepositive11: 3:00pm On Sep 19, 2022
You're quoting a book written centuries ago. What we know now, they didn't know back then. Go and see how doctors in the olden days were torturing civilians in the name of medical treatment.

The bottom line is beating a child is physical abuse. The reason why Nigerians are against men hitting women but in favour of adults beating children will always amaze me.

Children are very vulnerable, more so than women. Only heartless cowards beat their children. Let those children grow up and beat you when you become old and vulnerable. There are much better ways to discipline a child.

DaddyFreeze2020:

New International Version
Whoever spares the rod hates their children, but the one who loves their children is careful to discipline them.

New Living Translation
Those who spare the rod of discipline hate their children. Those who love their children care enough to discipline them.

English Standard Version
Whoever spares the rod hates his son, but he who loves him is diligent to discipline him.

Berean Standard Bible
He who spares the rod hates his son, but he who loves him disciplines him diligently.

King James Bible
He that spareth his rod hateth his son: but he that loveth him chasteneth him betimes.

New King James Version
He who spares his rod hates his son, But he who loves him disciplines him promptly.

New American Standard Bible
He who withholds his rod hates his son, But he who loves him disciplines him diligently.

NASB 1995
He who withholds his rod hates his son, But he who loves him disciplines him diligently.

NASB 1977
He who spares his rod hates his son, But he who loves him disciplines him diligently.

Amplified Bible
He who withholds the rod [of discipline] hates his son, But he who loves him disciplines and trains him diligently and appropriately [with wisdom and love].

Christian Standard Bible
The one who will not use the rod hates his son, but the one who loves him disciplines him diligently.

Holman Christian Standard Bible
The one who will not use the rod hates his son, but the one who loves him disciplines him diligently.

American Standard Version
He that spareth his rod hateth his son; But he that loveth him chasteneth him betimes.

Aramaic Bible in Plain English
Everyone that spares concerning his rod, hates his son, and he that loves his son disciplines him earnestly.

Brenton Septuagint Translation
He that spares the rod hates his son: but he that loves, carefully chastens him.

Contemporary English Version
If you love your children, you will correct them; if you don't love them, you won't correct them.

Douay-Rheims Bible
He that spareth the rod hateth his son: but he that loveth him correcteth him betimes.

Good News Translation
If you don't punish your children, you don't love them. If you do love them, you will correct them.

International Standard Version
Whoever does not discipline his son hates him, but whoever loves him is diligent to correct him.

JPS Tanakh 1917
He that spareth his rod hateth his son; But he that loveth him chasteneth him betimes.

Literal Standard Version
Whoever is sparing his rod is hating his son, And whoever is loving him has hurried his discipline.

New American Bible
Whoever spares the rod hates the child, but whoever loves will apply discipline.

NET Bible
The one who spares his rod hates his child, but the one who loves his child is diligent in disciplining him.

New Revised Standard Version
Those who spare the rod hate their children, but those who love them are diligent to discipline them.

New Heart English Bible
One who spares the rod hates his son, but one who loves him is careful to discipline him.

World English Bible
One who spares the rod hates his son, but one who loves him is careful to discipline him.

Young's Literal Translation
Whoso is sparing his rod is hating his son, And whoso is loving him hath hastened him chastisement.
Re: Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? by drillzablaze: 3:18pm On Sep 19, 2022
If you want to mess their lives up....don't spank them....train them from birth..so thy will give you rest...flog a child when thy messup...so you go dey proud of them

1 Like

Re: Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? by clems88(m): 3:35pm On Sep 19, 2022
SeriouslySense:
cheesy cheesy, so how do you help him understand or correct himself.

my looks most times makes him know it's wrong then he comports grin . But shouting n spanking of his mum doesn't do him any thing grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? by mmsen: 3:55pm On Sep 19, 2022
Karleb:

Asian countries allow Corporal punishment and they turn out to be better humans than most American and European adults.

What is your basis for saying Corporal punishment is abuse?

Asians do not. Asian societies are very abusive in general. They are not to be emulated.
Re: Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? by Munzy14(m): 4:26pm On Sep 19, 2022
mariahAngel:

M ga si ya piashi ha ike ma ha mee ihe ojoo. grin grin
Hahahahaha this comment though grin grin

You are to join in the disciplining to avoid kids tagging one parent Bad and the other good.

1 Like

Re: Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? by Dollywood(m): 4:57pm On Sep 19, 2022
Spanking? Yes. Flogging? No.
Re: Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? by boxer022(m): 4:59pm On Sep 19, 2022
leofab:
you mean they will be doing it secretly ?

There is every possibility if it were children but toddlers don't do anything in secret as their brains haven't developed to that level.
Re: Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? by Karleb(m): 5:02pm On Sep 19, 2022
mmsen:

Asians do not. Asian societies are very abusive in general. They are not to be emulated.

Can you prove your claim?
Re: Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? by mariahAngel(f): 5:15pm On Sep 19, 2022
Munzy14:

Hahahahaha this comment though grin grin

You are to join in the disciplining to avoid kids tagging one parent Bad and the other good.

Hahahahahahaha
Re: Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? by achimendy(m): 5:28pm On Sep 19, 2022
mariahAngel:
There's no injustice worse than beating a child.
Whoever hurts a child will suffer the consequence(s).
There are other ways to discipline a child than torture.

I just hope you're not a Christian for typing this shit, because if you're then I'll suggest you go read your bible again.

Spare the rod and spoil the child! One of the best ways to discipline a child is by beating , but how you beat them matters.

If you like pamper your children even when they go wrong, na u go hear am.

1 Like

Re: Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? by Lamasta(m): 5:39pm On Sep 19, 2022
GboyegaD:

Then it wasn't necessarily the flogging but the responsible parenting they experienced.
Its part of it
Re: Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? by luuvv: 5:49pm On Sep 19, 2022
Prism:

This is exactly what my sis in law told me.
Hmmm. This matter has really got me thinking
I have a toddler, we use cane when necessary.

1 Like

Re: Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? by mmsen: 6:13pm On Sep 19, 2022
Karleb:

Can you prove your claim?

You're really asking me for proof of the abuse of citizenry in Asia? Are you saying that you are oblivious to what has been stated ad nauseam?

Uighur Genocide
https://www.westernjournal.com/chinas-uighur-genocide-everything-need-know-ccps-human-rights-abuses/

Chinese Citizens Are Starving, Jumping From Balconies To Their Deaths After Weeks Of ‘COVID Zero’ Lockdown
https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2022/04/chinese-citizens-starving-jumping-balconies-death-weeks-covid-zero-lockdown/

Chinese workers allege forced labor, abuses in Xi’s ‘Belt and Road’ program
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/asia_pacific/china-labor-belt-road-covid/2021/04/30/f110e8de-9cd4-11eb-b2f5-7d2f0182750d_story.html

Chikan In Japan: 4 Horrific Stories
https://japantruly.com/chikan-in-japan/

The Enduringly Toxic Work Culture Of Japan
https://studybreaks.com/thoughts/japan-work-culture/

South Korea’s Troubling History of Jailing Ex-presidents
https://www.aei.org/foreign-and-defense-policy/asia/south-koreas-troubling-history-of-jailing-ex-presidents/

Half of all living former South Korean presidents are now in prison. On October 5, 2018, former president Lee Myung-bak was sentenced to 15 years for embezzling 24.6 billion won (roughly $22 million). Lee will join his successor, disgraced ex-president Park Geun-hye, who last year began her 25-year sentence for various charges of corruption. Lee and Park’s lengthy prison sentences may seem striking for an established democracy. But the reality is these sentences are not anomalies; rather, they reveal how tenuous South Korea’s hold on democracy really is.

That took me all of five minutes to find. If I wished to waste more time doing so I could have found thousands of interesting links for you on China alone. Not to speak of the other Asian nations. I didn't even mention Vietnam, Thailand, Indonesia or the other Asian countries where abuse of power is rife.
Re: Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? by Munzy14(m): 6:15pm On Sep 19, 2022
mariahAngel:

Hahahahahahaha
You gerrit cheesy
Re: Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? by mariahAngel(f): 6:26pm On Sep 19, 2022
Munzy14:

You gerrit cheesy

Yeah.
Re: Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? by Karleb(m): 7:03pm On Sep 19, 2022
mmsen:

You're really asking me for proof of the abuse of citizenry in Asia? Are you saying that you are oblivious to what has been stated ad nauseam?

Uighur Genocide
https://www.westernjournal.com/chinas-uighur-genocide-everything-need-know-ccps-human-rights-abuses/

Chinese Citizens Are Starving, Jumping From Balconies To Their Deaths After Weeks Of ‘COVID Zero’ Lockdown
https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2022/04/chinese-citizens-starving-jumping-balconies-death-weeks-covid-zero-lockdown/

Chinese workers allege forced labor, abuses in Xi’s ‘Belt and Road’ program
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/asia_pacific/china-labor-belt-road-covid/2021/04/30/f110e8de-9cd4-11eb-b2f5-7d2f0182750d_story.html

Chikan In Japan: 4 Horrific Stories
https://japantruly.com/chikan-in-japan/

The Enduringly Toxic Work Culture Of Japan
https://studybreaks.com/thoughts/japan-work-culture/

South Korea’s Troubling History of Jailing Ex-presidents
https://www.aei.org/foreign-and-defense-policy/asia/south-koreas-troubling-history-of-jailing-ex-presidents/

Half of all living former South Korean presidents are now in prison. On October 5, 2018, former president Lee Myung-bak was sentenced to 15 years for embezzling 24.6 billion won (roughly $22 million). Lee will join his successor, disgraced ex-president Park Geun-hye, who last year began her 25-year sentence for various charges of corruption. Lee and Park’s lengthy prison sentences may seem striking for an established democracy. But the reality is these sentences are not anomalies; rather, they reveal how tenuous South Korea’s hold on democracy really is.

That took me all of five minutes to find. If I wished to waste more time doing so I could have found thousands of interesting links for you on China alone. Not to speak of the other Asian nations. I didn't even mention Vietnam, Thailand, Indonesia or the other Asian countries where abuse of power is rife.

Are you comparing this to what Americans and Europeans have done?

If you dig deeper, you'd see Asians are saints to Americans and European based on this basis.

Corporal punishment isn't abuse.
Spanking a child isn't abuse as well.
Re: Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? by AutoChick4U(f): 7:43pm On Sep 19, 2022
Mindlog:
No, disciplining a toddler should not involve flogging.

In as much as some Nigerians do "glorify" the beatings (some qualifies as near murder as brutality was normalized) they received as children (personally, I regard it as unhealthy coping mechanism), we need to ask how that has manifested in the adults we have in Nigeria today.

Oyibo dey spoil pikin, na the same spoilt pikins who become adults they manage their countries and many Africans with the severe beatings as children, are the ones queueing up at the embassy for Visa to those countries.
Omo you really need to shape toddlers o cos they can copy anything so you need to be firm in correcting them

1 Like

Re: Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? by Mindlog: 7:54pm On Sep 19, 2022
AutoChick4U:
Omo you really need to shape toddlers o cos they an copy anything so you need to be firm in correcting them

Yes, you need to be firm because at that age they have this obsession of testing the boundaries,, to know what they can get away with but certainly don't need flogging to "shape" them.
Re: Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? by Prism(f): 11:02pm On Sep 20, 2022
Spandau:

Please make a clarification. Is it spanking or flogging?

I meant spanking. Thanks
Re: Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? by Prism(f): 11:06pm On Sep 20, 2022
dave601:

Bro, caning a child (2-15) when necessary is good. From my own personal life experience, and having dealt with different levels of students as an educationist.

It doesn't always work with older children, but it's perfect with anything 2 to roughly 9 or 15.

But once they get immune to flogging, then it's too late. You might as well be trying to correct a healthy He-goat. Cos you failed to start earlier. And being rude, wayward or stupid as become normal or praiseworthy to him/her.

The bible says you shall Beat him with a rod, and deliver his soul from hell... (Provb 23:14).

I laughed when I read this part of your comment : healthy he-goat.

Thank you for your advice. God bless you.

God bless.
Re: Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? by Prism(f): 11:11pm On Sep 20, 2022
Protein0:

You have kids yet?

Yeah, one
Re: Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? by DonroxyII: 3:36pm On Sep 21, 2022
ravensckar:
It's obvious you're not of marriageable age talk less of having a child. How does beating a child amount to injustice? Please kindly stick to topics that are befitting of your age grades. angry angry

My daughter was as stubborn as a bull at age 1+. Always breaking things and slamming her head on the wall whenever she's angry (especially if you deny her something she wants). The moment I started using my hanger and tiny rod on her, that spirit of stubbornness and vandalism left her before she clocked 2 years. Now at 5, she has become a well behaved child that other parents want their children to emulate.

Who get time for nonsense?
Na that Cane Help Dissolved the Aggressions Block in Her Head ....

Na Mad dem dey Use Solve Mad to Achieve Neutral especially where Diplomacy Fails!
Re: Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? by Alexis4j: 12:19pm On Sep 28, 2023
What could a toddler do to warrant flogging?
We know that corporal punishment is good but to a one year old child, I don't know.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Wife Raped By Brother-in-law / What's The Obsession With Male Children About In Nigeria? / Marriage And The Sickle Cell Anaemia

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.