Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,520 members, 7,816,265 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:30 AM

What Would You Do With 50 Acres - Agriculture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / What Would You Do With 50 Acres (16876 Views)

With 50 Cows 20 Years Ago, I Now Have 1,000 - Idris Isa Bawa / Call For Tractor Plow Services In Nigeria | 50 Acres & above / 50 Acres Of Virgin Land For Sale In Ogbomosho At #80000(photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Would You Do With 50 Acres by greenermodels: 8:39am On Oct 08, 2022
FarmTech:

Except I will do it remotely.
what about managing it personally and taking 20% of profit, an industrial borehole would be provided?
Re: What Would You Do With 50 Acres by greenermodels: 9:02am On Oct 08, 2022
FarmTech:

Except I will do it remotely.
I might contact you later to help set something up for me in Anambra there, I just remembered that you're already in the state. My experience farming there is ugly which is why I want to move to the southwest. Farm labourers are scarce, unserious and heartless. The only way to farm successfully there is to leave your city job and move into the rural areas to do it by yourself which is not feasible for me since I want a gradual transition to the rural areas for retirement. It's also difficult to get up to 5 acres in that state for integrated farming plus the fact that flooding is disturbing farming communities there continuously since 2012 nonstop. Land disputes is another problem as every community there seems to be in court over land dispute. Anambra offers best prices for farm products but their trouble is too much. Very expensive land prices is another matter.

3 Likes

Re: What Would You Do With 50 Acres by FarmTech(m): 8:23pm On Oct 08, 2022
greenermodels:
I might contact you later to help set something up for me in Anambra there, I just remembered that you're already in the state. My experience farming there is ugly which is why I want to move to the southwest. Farm labourers are scarce, unserious and heartless. The only way to farm successfully there is to leave your city job and move into the rural areas to do it by yourself which is not feasible for me since I want a gradual transition to the rural areas for retirement. It's also difficult to get up to 5 acres in that state for integrated farming plus the fact that flooding is disturbing farming communities there continuously since 2012 nonstop. Land disputes is another problem as every community there seems to be in court over land dispute. Anambra offers best prices for farm products but their trouble is too much. Very expensive land prices is another matter.
I'm base in Anambra. I'm very busy with my own farm for now. But if you can find someone that can manage it for you, I will offer him assistance.
It is best to get land that is close to a year-round stream for large-scale irrigation. Borehole won't be enough. There are good areas that doesn't experience flooding.
Re: What Would You Do With 50 Acres by Tohsynetita1: 9:05am On Oct 10, 2022
greenermodels:
baba himself, how I wish you would be willing to help me set it up in Oyo state.
Where in Oyo State.
Re: What Would You Do With 50 Acres by EduBrazil1991(m): 10:59am On Oct 10, 2022
I have tried to secure a million naira loan for my commercial farming journey but Union Bank and UBAs terms and conditions are way bigger than my dream.

With reliable capital, I will use 20 hectares for plantain farming. 10 hectares for Tme cassava farming. The remaining 20 hectares are for pepper, okra, beneseed, groundnut, etc.

Farming is lucrative but it's capital intensive.

3 Likes

Re: What Would You Do With 50 Acres by greenermodels: 1:26pm On Oct 10, 2022
EduBrazil1991:
I have tried to secure a million naira loan for my commercial farming journey but Union Bank and UBAs terms and conditions are way bigger than my dream.

With reliable capital, I will use 20 hectares for plantain farming. 10 hectares for Tme cassava farming. The remaining 20 hectares are for pepper, okra, beneseed, groundnut, etc.

first it's 50acres not fifty hectares, secondly, can a million naira achieve all you wrote above? I don't think so.

5 Likes

Re: What Would You Do With 50 Acres by EduBrazil1991(m): 4:57pm On Oct 10, 2022
Oh

Thanks for the correction.

1m is far from being enough...
Re: What Would You Do With 50 Acres by Mars88(m): 2:07pm On Oct 13, 2022
A lot
Re: What Would You Do With 50 Acres by Mars88(m): 2:09pm On Oct 13, 2022
greenermodels:
baba himself, how I wish you would be willing to help me set it up in Oyo state.

I can make recommendations for you. Akure and Oyo State respectively. Easier in Oyo

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Would You Do With 50 Acres by bizzibodi(m): 5:56pm On Oct 13, 2022
EduBrazil1991:

All those crops you list you need like 20 stable farmworkers.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Would You Do With 50 Acres by greenermodels: 6:49pm On Oct 13, 2022
Mars88:

I can make recommendations for you. Akure and Oyo State respectively. Easier in Oyo
Honestly, that would be great even if it's for insight. This latest news about kidnapping and killing of farmers at Iseyin just resettled my brain. I want a location that is close to a settlement or community with schools for children. Somewhere I can retire in a few years time but can be bought and managed now between 3-50 acres of affordable land to serve as a residence. Must be safe and have neighbours. Thanks.
Re: What Would You Do With 50 Acres by greenermodels: 6:50pm On Oct 13, 2022
bizzibodi:

All those crops you list you need like 20 stable farmworkers.
what about maize or cassava? Can it be managed from far with a capable farm manager.
Re: What Would You Do With 50 Acres by Kobicove(m): 7:32pm On Oct 13, 2022
Hornome:
I have always been saying this to people that all this unreliable farm hand situation boils down to the level of zeal, aura of leadership and the way the farmer owners treat their farm helps. If you treat them right you will expand bro.

In Nigeria no matter how well you treat your employees 99% of them will still steal from you the first chance they get! undecided

E go shock you! angry

14 Likes

Re: What Would You Do With 50 Acres by Mars88(m): 8:02pm On Oct 13, 2022
greenermodels:

Honestly, that would be great even if it's for insight. This latest news about kidnapping and killing of farmers at Iseyin just resettled my brain. I want a location that is close to a settlement or community with schools for children. Somewhere I can retire in a few years time but can be bought and managed now between 3-50 acres of affordable land to serve as a residence. Must be safe and have neighbours. Thanks.

You are definitely on point about the kidnapping issue as it is almost everywhere but there are tested and trusted formulas to work around this I believe. I don't know how we can have a private conversation on this.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Would You Do With 50 Acres by bizzibodi(m): 9:58pm On Oct 13, 2022
greenermodels:
what about maize or cassava? Can it be managed from far with a capable farm manager.
Cassava can be easily manager from afar with farm manager..reasons cassava dnt need to much maintenance just make sure you weeds 2 or 3x,
Low incidence of pest & diseases.
Do well in any time of soil without fertilizer.
Drought resistant,can survive dry season & pick up in rainy season.
You can sell at any stages of development,3,6 or 12months.
You can even selloff without uprooting buyers will do it.
But maize need fertile soil, fertilizer,weeding.
Varieties of pest: especially army worms.
Prone to delayed rainfall or inadequate rain.
For maize you need a dedicated farmmgr.

8 Likes

Re: What Would You Do With 50 Acres by greenermodels: 8:20pm On Oct 14, 2022
bizzibodi:

Cassava can be easily manager from afar with farm manager..reasons cassava dnt need to much maintenance just make sure you weeds 2 or 3x,
Low incidence of pest & diseases.
Do well in any time of soil without fertilizer.
Drought resistant,can survive dry season & pick up in rainy season.
You can sell at any stages of development,3,6 or 12months.
You can even selloff without uprooting buyers will do it.
But maize need fertile soil, fertilizer,weeding.
Varieties of pest: especially army worms.
Prone to delayed rainfall or inadequate rain.
For maize you need a dedicated farmmgr.
well said, what can you say about using a borehole to engage in drip irrigated production of fruits and vegetables like tomatoes? How many acres/hectares can one industrial borehole support?
Re: What Would You Do With 50 Acres by bizzibodi(m): 7:32am On Oct 15, 2022
greenermodels:
well said, what can you say about using a borehole to engage in drip irrigated production of fruits and vegetables like tomatoes? How many acres/hectares can one industrial borehole support?
Am not an expert in drip irrigation,I suppose an industry borehole should support an hectare or more.maize cultivation in the dry season with irrigation will be good.
Pavore,saliubello can confirm.

2 Likes

Re: What Would You Do With 50 Acres by bizzibodi(m): 7:44am On Oct 15, 2022
50 acres that is 20htrs
Will use 10 for cocoa plantation with plantain, avocado,cassava,7 for cashew ,3 for maize, soyabean.

1 Like

Re: What Would You Do With 50 Acres by Mars88(m): 1:51pm On Oct 15, 2022
greenermodels:

Kindly check your mail.
Re: What Would You Do With 50 Acres by greenermodels: 4:41pm On Oct 16, 2022
Paulecart:
50 acres is enough to set one up for life. If I had 50acres of land, I would go into different farming practices such as:
Poultry farming
Pig farming
Vegetables and fruits farming(mainly organic)
I would also consider hydroponics.
Organic farming is just a way Nigeria can penetrate the world's food economy. Most advance countries are considering foods produced organically. Imagine having 50acres of land and producing organically.
For more information on organic foods and farming visit https://ecartshopp.com
to do all these would require living in a remote farm with your family at a time farmers are helpless in the hands of Fulani kidnappers. Buying 50 would cost you far less than building a three bedroom bungalow, managing it is the problem.

1 Like

Re: What Would You Do With 50 Acres by greenermodels: 4:42pm On Oct 16, 2022
Mars88:

Kindly check your mail.
no mail seen till date.
Re: What Would You Do With 50 Acres by Mars88(m): 5:39pm On Oct 16, 2022
greenermodels:
no mail seen till date.

Sent some to to your gmail.
Re: What Would You Do With 50 Acres by Justinaffiliate(m): 7:32am On Oct 17, 2022
We Nigerians are naturally blessed
https://somtochukwu.carrd.co
Re: What Would You Do With 50 Acres by Ajibaba101(m): 1:57am On Oct 20, 2022
ChngedChnges:

Thats one of the reasons people go out of business in agriculture. Trying to be jack of all trades.

Pls select one (plant or animal) then stick with it through thick and thin, it'll become something
Are you saying the only way to succeed in agriculture business is by growing one plant or raising one animal
Re: What Would You Do With 50 Acres by leyeojo64: 7:50pm On Oct 22, 2022
YOu're unbelievable. You want to use a fertile land for school buildings and boarding house....smh for you!

Antimarraige:
Build a university with it's own secondary boarding school

3 Likes

Re: What Would You Do With 50 Acres by Nobody: 9:08pm On Oct 22, 2022
leyeojo64:
YOu're unbelievable. You want to use a fertile land for school buildings and boarding house....smh for you!

yes it will also have its own farm and poultry and its own chicken restaurant where extra farm products will be utilized and birds from the poultry will be the main source of the specialized chicken restaurant for students, where they will eat mostly everytime of the day

Capîce?
Re: What Would You Do With 50 Acres by Chidiebubeoji: 9:27pm On Oct 23, 2022
Charleys:
Build a small pen.
Buy like 5 small goats.

Early morning you let them out to roam.
Evening time they come back to the pen.

Na grass them dey chop.
grin lol, very funny, as in each goat to 10 acres of grass.
For me, I like the idea of specializing in a one or two or at most three areas of interest. That way, you can ensure efficient management even with only few hands. Share the farm land into two equal sizes or one slightly bigger, then venture into 'poultry farming and tomato or cucumber farming' simultaneously.
You can even enhance your crop production from the unlimited piles of manure you will be getting from your chickens.

Still, all is capital intensive but very possible if you set your heart, work and pray towards it.

6 Likes

Re: What Would You Do With 50 Acres by 66spirit(m): 4:36pm On Oct 24, 2022
Hornome:
If I have the capital ehn 10 acres for Plantain farming 10 for cabbage farming 20 for pepper and tomatoes farming 5 for different varieties of vegetables especially ugu Remaining 5 for piggery and cat fish farming. So I go dey make money every season.
God bless ur papa.. U get sense. Thumps up

1 Like

Re: What Would You Do With 50 Acres by Nero2424: 6:14am On Oct 25, 2022
Can farming and animal husbandry succeed if the owner doent reside in the country? I have a feeling that one day someone will tell someone that no chicken lay egg today.

7 Likes

Re: What Would You Do With 50 Acres by RepoMan007: 10:49am On Oct 25, 2022
surrogatesng:
I will keep part for myself and sell the rest
This is same mentality that bankrupt Nigeria and black Africa.
I will invest it in agriculture. Even if it is to plant grass and graze cows on it.

3 Likes

Re: What Would You Do With 50 Acres by surrogatesng: 11:56am On Oct 25, 2022
ok sir
RepoMan007:
This is same mentality that bankrupt Nigeria and black Africa.
I will invest it in agriculture. Even if it is to plant grass and graze cows on it.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Successful Pineapple Farming Tips / Anybody Interested In Yam Business From Zakibiam / Theft Of Farm Produce Spreads Across Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.