Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,602 members, 7,816,496 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:59 AM

What Would You Do With 50 Acres - Agriculture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / What Would You Do With 50 Acres (16882 Views)

With 50 Cows 20 Years Ago, I Now Have 1,000 - Idris Isa Bawa / Call For Tractor Plow Services In Nigeria | 50 Acres & above / 50 Acres Of Virgin Land For Sale In Ogbomosho At #80000(photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Would You Do With 50 Acres by UyaiIncomparabl(f): 10:02am On Nov 08, 2022
Coconut and Cannabis farming.
Re: What Would You Do With 50 Acres by Dadadididacontr: 10:03am On Nov 08, 2022
Hornome:
If I have the capital ehn
10 acres for Plantain farming
10 for cabbage farming
20 for pepper and tomatoes farming
5 for different varieties of vegetables especially ugu
Remaining 5 for piggery and cat fish farming.
So I go dey make money every season.

Easier said than done.

20 acres of tomato farm You can't manage it die to low level of workmanship

2 Likes

Re: What Would You Do With 50 Acres by Cutehector(m): 10:04am On Nov 08, 2022
Bayaar02:
50 acres is approx. 20 hectares.
Start Cassava farming.
Find cassava stem,plough the land and ridge.
Plant and spray pre emergence Afterwards.
Spray post emergence 6 wks after.
Let Cassava reach maturity stage.
Yield per hectares should reach 25tonnes.
Current price per tonnage is 30k.
Do the maths.
Re: What Would You Do With 50 Acres by Cutehector(m): 10:05am On Nov 08, 2022
Moymoy:
Right in my family, the land we own is close to 300 hectares. It's sitting idle because no one is interested in staying in the village. Plus, the reality of witchcraft. If you want to invest in large scale agriculture, may God help you if they don't use "air force" or physically poison you.
and this 300 hectares is located in which state?
Re: What Would You Do With 50 Acres by UyaiIncomparabl(f): 10:05am On Nov 08, 2022
Charleys:
Build a small pen.
Buy like 5 small goats.

Early morning you let them out to roam.
Evening time they come back to the pen.

Na grass them dey chop.

SMH.
Re: What Would You Do With 50 Acres by olasquare: 10:05am On Nov 08, 2022
Hornome:
I have always been saying this to people that all this unreliable farm hand situation boils down to the level of zeal, aura of leadership and the way the farmer owners treat their farm helps. If you treat them right you will expand bro.

This reply is sensible, but it is not holistic and practically detailed to the intent of the question. On a managerial view, how are the staffs going to be coordinated, delegates etc. It is good you trying to appeal to their emotions and feelings with the way you treat them, but this alone won't sustain the farm. Your zeal and aura can fuel you not them if such zeal is not in them. How do you transfer the zeal to them.

Note: Nigerian employee no send you most times just as most employers don't send them. So it boils to put behaviour to each other

1 Like

Re: What Would You Do With 50 Acres by Bayaar02(m): 10:07am On Nov 08, 2022
Cutehector:

Wow.
U need to up your arithmetical skill.
Simple arithmetic.
Re: What Would You Do With 50 Acres by JuanDeDios: 10:10am On Nov 08, 2022
greenermodels:
If you have 50 acres of fertile farm land in the southwest, what would you do with it?
(1) Buy one horse and one keke to be cruising round the place. (2) Start a vertically integrated agricultural BUSINESS that encompasses planting and animal husbandry.
Re: What Would You Do With 50 Acres by Cutehector(m): 10:15am On Nov 08, 2022
JuanDeDios:

(1) Buy one horse and one keke to be cruising round the place. (2) Start a vertically integrated agricultural BUSINESS that encompasses planting and animal husbandry.
lmao
Re: What Would You Do With 50 Acres by Saladdin: 10:15am On Nov 08, 2022
greenermodels:
I might contact you later to help set something up for me in Anambra there, I just remembered that you're already in the state. My experience farming there is ugly which is why I want to move to the southwest. Farm labourers are scarce, unserious and heartless. The only way to farm successfully there is to leave your city job and move into the rural areas to do it by yourself which is not feasible for me since I want a gradual transition to the rural areas for retirement. It's also difficult to get up to 5 acres in that state for integrated farming plus the fact that flooding is disturbing farming communities there continuously since 2012 nonstop. Land disputes is another problem as every community there seems to be in court over land dispute. Anambra offers best prices for farm products but their trouble is too much. Very expensive land prices is another matter.

Wow @ greenermodels, the east is certainly not the best place for commercial agriculture. Crazy land disputes and genuinely limited arable land.

Quick question please, how large and sustainable is the eastern market for veggies like, carrot, cucumber, greanbeans, garden eggs, strawberries etc.?

Thanks.

1 Like

Re: What Would You Do With 50 Acres by Germi9: 10:21am On Nov 08, 2022
Everybody farm ..farm ,nobody dey even reason Ashawo quarters, there’s money in it

1 Like

Re: What Would You Do With 50 Acres by wolebest: 10:25am On Nov 08, 2022
Source for funds or sell part and start Palm oil plantation on the rest.

1 Like

Re: What Would You Do With 50 Acres by Skyehigher1: 10:25am On Nov 08, 2022
Very good
Re: What Would You Do With 50 Acres by Curious345: 10:31am On Nov 08, 2022
Bayaar02:
50 acres is approx. 20 hectares.
Start Cassava farming.
Find cassava stem,plough the land and ridge.
Plant and spray pre emergence Afterwards.
Spray post emergence 6 wks after.
Let Cassava reach maturity stage.
Yield per hectares should reach 25tonnes.
Current price per tonnage is 30k.
Do the maths.

Cutehector:
I do cassava .. Arborbi no be as you talk am.ooo....
Re: What Would You Do With 50 Acres by Skyehigher1: 10:31am On Nov 08, 2022
Very good but if I have kind of land my brother I will 5 acres for banana,, 5 for pourtry farming,,,, 5 for fish farming,,, 5 for cow ranch,,,, 10 for pepper ,,, and I will use the rest for rice farm
Re: What Would You Do With 50 Acres by Cutehector(m): 10:38am On Nov 08, 2022
Curious345:

there is something called gross figure sir.
Re: What Would You Do With 50 Acres by Bayaar02(m): 10:39am On Nov 08, 2022
Curious345:

Comprehend what I wrote. Thanks.
Re: What Would You Do With 50 Acres by Pendragon001: 10:51am On Nov 08, 2022
will divide the land into six portions for easy accountability, one portion will be for animal Husbandry where I will raise goats, chickens, cows, sheep, ram, snails and fish if there's a flowing river nearby. one portion will be for planting cereals like corn, millet, wheat etc. one portion will be for plantain and banana farming, one portion for yam, potatoes and cassava farming, one portion for palm oil farming, last portion will be split to plant things like pineapple, oranges, mango, watermelon, melon, cucumber, pepper, tomatoes onions etc. and a small part of the land will be used to build food processing factory so that the farm can be an end to end production house.
Re: What Would You Do With 50 Acres by LILTJAY: 10:56am On Nov 08, 2022
I will build the biggest ashawo hotel in the world on it cool
Re: What Would You Do With 50 Acres by WantsandMore: 11:04am On Nov 08, 2022
SocialJustice:
Lol, have you cultivated any of these plants successfully before? Managing this farm will be too stressful. The skill sets needed are too different. Nigerian workers are always looking to steal, how you treat them barely affects the situation. If you have employed before, you should know.

As for me,
10 acres for piggery and abattoir.
10 acres for black soldier fly larvae production and processing plant.
30 acres for moringa and processing factory.
Part Automation part manual will go a long way.
Re: What Would You Do With 50 Acres by DhanBaba(m): 11:07am On Nov 08, 2022
cry cry cry
Re: What Would You Do With 50 Acres by Mustiboy(m): 11:11am On Nov 08, 2022
Thant much land can't be in a developed area. A plot there is probably worth ₦10,000.

It's best used for farming, nothing else.

3 Likes

Re: What Would You Do With 50 Acres by Alkapalexis: 11:28am On Nov 08, 2022
greenermodels:
how would you manage all these with the unreliable farm labour situation in the country?
it is very much manageable when u have enough capital u employ the use of multipurpose tractors and make the most usefull info of family labour orientation other than public labour
Re: What Would You Do With 50 Acres by felixzo1(m): 11:33am On Nov 08, 2022
I will plant oil palm 100%, the keep space for residence and factory for processing machinery. one thing will tree crops is. they can withstand even a level of bad management, and last a lifetime.
Re: What Would You Do With 50 Acres by felixzo1(m): 11:39am On Nov 08, 2022
godofuck231:
Get beef cows and start a ranch , start with 1000 calves , plant yams on the other half , after months, shift and plant plantains , add some goats , see you at the bank
what is your feeding plan for 1000 calf's, 50 acres is not even land to grow grass to feed 1000 calf
Re: What Would You Do With 50 Acres by fluffybaby(f): 12:26pm On Nov 08, 2022
Hornome:
I have always been saying this to people that all this unreliable farm hand situation boils down to the level of zeal, aura of leadership and the way the farmer owners treat their farm helps. If you treat them right you will expand bro.

You are funny. In Nigeria? Where people want to be rich from doing nothing?
Last last they will still kidnap or murder you and claim it was the devil that made them do it.

2 Likes

Re: What Would You Do With 50 Acres by viyon02: 12:28pm On Nov 08, 2022
noble2faith:
50 acres = 300 plots

That's goldmine mehn!
Oga, abeg gimme just one acre.
I swear bro. Firstly soil test, that will give me over view of best plants that will do well on it. I will sure I have nothing lest than 2000 coconut trees on it even more then bout 1000 trees of palm. Then followed by cray fish farming........ Am talking too much here oooo. Fine, after 5-7 years
2000 trees of coconut,= more than#10m every three months
1000 palm trees = more than 7m every year
Be warned you are talking more than normal boy.

1 Like

Re: What Would You Do With 50 Acres by Tonytonex(m): 12:29pm On Nov 08, 2022
Employ people to farm for you.

1 Like

Re: What Would You Do With 50 Acres by Nobody: 12:29pm On Nov 08, 2022
greenermodels:
I might contact you later to help set something up for me in Anambra there, I just remembered that you're already in the state. My experience farming there is ugly which is why I want to move to the southwest. Farm labourers are scarce, unserious and heartless. The only way to farm successfully there is to leave your city job and move into the rural areas to do it by yourself which is not feasible for me since I want a gradual transition to the rural areas for retirement. It's also difficult to get up to 5 acres in that state for integrated farming plus the fact that flooding is disturbing farming communities there continuously since 2012 nonstop. Land disputes is another problem as every community there seems to be in court over land dispute. Anambra offers best prices for farm products but their trouble is too much. Very expensive land prices is another matter.
Re: What Would You Do With 50 Acres by Soknown: 12:33pm On Nov 08, 2022
greenermodels:
If you have 50 acres of fertile farm land in the southwest, what would you do with it?
I will hire an excavator to dig a lake all round, 120f width, 30-50f deep. Turning it to an island, so to speak. The remaining land will be used to cultivate teak and mahogany/gmelina. I don't have patience for food crop but I can wait 10 years for tree crops. I will start reaping after 10 years but it's worth the wait.

3 Likes

Re: What Would You Do With 50 Acres by Tonytonex(m): 12:40pm On Nov 08, 2022
greenermodels:
lol, five goats might be too small for fifty acres.
LOL. He probably doesn't know what acres of land is

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Successful Pineapple Farming Tips / Anybody Interested In Yam Business From Zakibiam / Theft Of Farm Produce Spreads Across Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.