Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,247 members, 7,811,693 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 05:24 PM

Some Tips About Living In Uk - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Some Tips About Living In Uk (56349 Views)

Sad Truths About Living Abroad / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Some Tips About Living In Uk by Threesha(f): 10:24am On Oct 07, 2022
SOME TIPS ABOUT LIVING IN UK

I’ll like to prepare your mind as a married man that when you get to UK,there’s higher chance for you to baby sit, ook, dishes, change pampers, get the kids set for school, etc. It’s better to get yourself acquainted with this ahead.

This is not to ridicule your personality, they are things you might need to do to keep the family running. And as the wife, have it in mind that you might not get to live that luxury life of “my husband is responsible for family upkeep”nah. Living in UK, you are meant to complement each other in every aspect.

Accommodation in UK isn’t a joke, if you are single, I advice you to look for single room en-suite or studio, furnished, all bills inclusive. Renting two bed apartment if it’s just you isn’t advisable. Check Spareroom,on the market, zoopla, Rightmove or Facebook market for rooms to let.

Pending the time you’ll be able to buy your desired item(s),check out Facebook market for cheap or free preloved/new items such as;furnitures,mattresses, beddings, kitchen utensils and the likes (I got my microwave on Facebook market for £10 and it’s as good as new).

However, be careful so as not to be scammed,I advice you do pay on delivery/pickup. Register with Olio aswell for free items(both new and preloved) including foodstuffs within and outside your area.

You might not be able to open standard bank until few months later, you can register with online bank like Monzo or Revolut to carry out your transactions, it’s easy & safe to use. Also, register with Lemonade if you want to change £ to #, easy to use as well with no charges apply.

Coming across different people with different cultural backgrounds, it’s advisable to ask individual what and how they would like to be addressed. Don’t make assumptions, people get offended if they are addressed wrongly.

Be time conscious, if you are to resume work by 19:00 to relief others, ensure you arrive few minutes earlier. The person you are to relief at work also has childminder or husband at home to relief for work as well.

Don’t try to force or change your accent while communicating. The more you change or force British accent the more you make communication difficult for everyone. Speak gently and clearly, believe me, they will hear you more than faking British accent. And if you can’t hear them, in a polite way ask them to speak slowly and gently so you can understand & they would be glad to do so.

Job wise, don’t be selective at first, get yourself something legit doing, all jobs here are stressful, at least you’ll be able to update your CV for future sake. I hope you get what I mean.

Let the words “PLEASE AND THANK YOU” be your favourite quotes daily, it goes a long way and they might pave way for you.

Don’t engage in gossips, they don’t keep secret here, whatever you say will be used against you later on.

If you have BRITISH HEART FOUNDATION store around you, they sell nice stuffs as low as £1, pop in there and minimise your spending.

Stay tuned for next post.
Moyisola

515 Likes 68 Shares

Re: Some Tips About Living In Uk by Oyindamolah: 1:39pm On Oct 07, 2022
Waiting patiently for part 2

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Some Tips About Living In Uk by RepoMan007: 1:55pm On Oct 07, 2022
Inflation is real.

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Some Tips About Living In Uk by Mindlog: 2:33pm On Oct 07, 2022
Look out for clearance sales in Tesco, Sainburys, Morrison etc especially in the evenings. cheesy

63 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Some Tips About Living In Uk by prophetwis: 3:11pm On Oct 07, 2022
Still wonder why someone who can afford a comfortable life in Nigeria ,will nearly turn to a beggar all in the name of relocation.

235 Likes 14 Shares

Re: Some Tips About Living In Uk by Mindlog: 3:17pm On Oct 07, 2022
prophetwis:
Still wonder why someone who can afford a comfortable life in Nigeria ,will nearly turn to a beggar all in the name of relocation.

Why should one turn a beggar because of relocating to the UK?

70 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Some Tips About Living In Uk by Carcholce: 6:22pm On Oct 07, 2022
prophetwis:

There’s no comfortability in Nigeria. Even if you have plenty money, the imaginary comfort ends inside your house.

270 Likes 18 Shares

Re: Some Tips About Living In Uk by yemzone(m): 6:59pm On Oct 07, 2022
SOME TIPS ABOUT LIVING IN UK

I’ll like to prepare your mind as a married man that when you get to UK, there’s higher chance for you to baby sit, ook, dishes, change pampers, get the kids set for school, etc. It’s better to get yourself acquainted with this ahead.

This is not to ridicule your personality, they are things you might need to do to keep the family running. And as the wife, have it in mind that you might not get to live that luxury life of “my husband is responsible for family upkeep”nah. Living in UK, you are meant to complement each other in every aspect.

@the bolded what some men and women in Nigeria won't do.

32 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Some Tips About Living In Uk by yemzone(m): 7:00pm On Oct 07, 2022
[quote author=Threesha post=117345285]SOME TIPS ABOUT LIVING IN UK

I’ll like to prepare your mind as a married man that when you get to UK, there’s higher chance for you to baby sit, ook, dishes, change pampers, get the kids set for school, etc. It’s better to get yourself acquainted with this ahead.

@the bolded what some men and women in Nigeria won't do.

6 Likes

Re: Some Tips About Living In Uk by Threesha(f): 5:38am On Oct 08, 2022
[quote author=yemzone post=117359427][/quote]Fact
Re: Some Tips About Living In Uk by QuinModah(f): 6:37am On Feb 12, 2023
Thank you

3 Likes

Re: Some Tips About Living In Uk by Nobody: 1:06pm On Mar 24, 2023
prophetwis:
Do you know that in the UK, with your minimum wage (which is everyone gets at least) you can afford decent accommodation, good food, some good clothes and nice shoes, a small latest model car (like 2023 model), and travel to other countries once a year or two?
Life is a lot better in UK! See how below:

crows2ravens:

I will use an example, a single guy living outside of London. Assuming you work in the same city where you work. These figures are as close to actual as possible. If you live in UK and and I'm wrong, bring us actual figures!

Let's say you earn £1,800 monthly:
Tax + NI - £400
Rent (studio flat + bills) - £600
One month bus ticket - £55
Food and groceries - £100
Car finance, e.g. Audi A1 - £227 (down payment is around £2k plus)
Total monthly expenses - £1,382
You still have £418 for other expenses and savings. But anything else you spend on will be wants not needs.

Council tax £80 if it's not included in your rent.
The UK guys don't want us to come and flood the place for them.
shaybebaby:

You forgot to add:
1) Car insurance: let's say about £50p/m
2) Road tax: £15
3) Broadband: £30
4) Petrol/ diesel : assuming you don't drive the car often: £100pm
5) Mobile Phone: £30

So that's £418-225=£193
No much left after that.
In case you're trying to make informed decision...

202 Likes 20 Shares

Re: Some Tips About Living In Uk by Ishilove: 6:14pm On Mar 24, 2023
Mindlog:
Look out for clearance sales in Tesco, Sainburys, Morrison etc especially in the evenings. cheesy
Bend down select tinz? cheesy

21 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Some Tips About Living In Uk by Mindlog: 6:34pm On Mar 24, 2023
Ishilove:

Bend down select tinz? cheesy

Yes o but only food.

You go see bread of £1.30 selling for 15p, ready to eat coleslaw, salad, fruits from over £1 that would be sold at 20p, one litre of milk for 20p etc

During my school days I dey time going to Morrisons at 7.30p.m as it was about 8 mins walk from my residence, £10 tinz dey full trolley though then I was part of a research project that wanted to know how far £10 could go for food for an individual in a week. With that clearance buying I was hitting 4-5 days and I got the opportunity to taste ready to eat meals from other European countries and Asia as I was buying them next to nothing.😆😆😆

86 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Some Tips About Living In Uk by Ishilove: 8:51pm On Mar 24, 2023
Mindlog:

Yes o but only food.

You go see bread of £1.30 selling for 15p, ready to eat coleslaw, salad, fruits from over £1 that would be sold at 20p, one litre of milk for 20p etc

During my school days I dey time going to Morisons at 7.30p.m as it was about 8 mins walk from my residence, £10 tinz dey full trolley though then I was part of a research project that wanted to know how far £10 could go for food for an individual in a week. With that clearance buying I was hitting 4-5 days and I got the opportunity to taste ready to eat meals from other European countries and Asia as I was buying them next to nothing.😆😆😆
It reminds me of the days we were buying sweets for 50kobo cry

42 Likes

Re: Some Tips About Living In Uk by ShaqFu: 8:55pm On Mar 24, 2023
Mindlog:

Yes o but only food.

During my school days I dey time going to Morisons at 7.30p.m as it was about 8 mins walk from my residence, £10 tinz dey full trolley though then I was part of a research project that wanted to know how far £10 could go for food for an individual in a week. With that clearance buying I was hitting 4-5 days and I got the opportunity to taste ready to eat meals from other European countries and Asia as I was buying them next to nothing.😆😆😆
how much do you pay for house rent? Electricity, heater, gas and the likes?

How much is a set of pots?

6 Likes

Re: Some Tips About Living In Uk by accordadoga25(f): 9:39pm On Mar 24, 2023
2022 thread??

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Some Tips About Living In Uk by virgilprince: 9:39pm On Mar 24, 2023
So expensive living there , how are you guys coping please ?

I honestly want to know !?

9 Likes

Re: Some Tips About Living In Uk by drsugar: 9:39pm On Mar 24, 2023
Emigrate only if you have it as a plan for your life and life’s purpose, not because Nigeria is hard or Japa is trending. Nigeria don hard since 1960s, No be today

Everywhere is hard.

Do you know that if you are well to do in Nigeria, once you emigrate, your social status will drop automatically at your destination country… although people back in Nigeria will be looking up to you

On a good note sha, long term reward of Japa may likely pay off for your kids or if you emigrate at a very very young age…

You can make it in Nigeria.
You can make it in the abroad too.

Discover your life’s purpose first and align.

169 Likes 15 Shares

Re: Some Tips About Living In Uk by Karleb(m): 9:40pm On Mar 24, 2023
Most importantly, husband nor dey, wife no dey for UK.

Gerrit. undecided

25 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Some Tips About Living In Uk by ATEAMS: 9:40pm On Mar 24, 2023
Indeed
Re: Some Tips About Living In Uk by EmeeNaka: 9:40pm On Mar 24, 2023
UK is somehow now

8 Likes

Re: Some Tips About Living In Uk by raskymonojendor: 9:41pm On Mar 24, 2023
Only took 5months for this to get to FP.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Some Tips About Living In Uk by veekid(m): 9:41pm On Mar 24, 2023
2022? UK don dey somehow now sha, Naija full everywhere

15 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Some Tips About Living In Uk by GeneralPula: 9:41pm On Mar 24, 2023
UK nah scam..

People wey go recently don see shege wey dem never see before.. Imagine paying 500 Pounds or more for bills monthly, house rent aside oo..

Nah Tax UK dey take run things. The issh with economy since after corona con spoil everything..

The only thing you can have a easy ride a little is if you had somebody over there that’s been their for long. It’s very risky for a first timer to go there at this point in time, except you have money!

44 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Some Tips About Living In Uk by StreetFight: 9:41pm On Mar 24, 2023
RepoMan007:
Inflation is real.

It's worse in UK. I no wan talk

30 Likes 6 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

Newly Constructed Opako Adigbe Road In Abeokuta Washed Off By Rain Yesterday. / See The Tallest Hotel In Port Harcourt: Pictures & Video / Rice Trailer Crashes Into Market In Akungba, Ondo, Over 10 Feared Dead (GRAPHIC)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.