Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,197 members, 7,825,757 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 10:21 PM

Some Tips About Living In Uk - Travel (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Some Tips About Living In Uk (56480 Views)

Sad Truths About Living Abroad / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Some Tips About Living In Uk by hikiki(m): 12:31pm On Mar 25, 2023
Abeg oo,for those wen dey UK. As me and madam dey reason come that end. Madam Sha dey come for masters degree,me dey come into dependant. And I hear say Dem dey pay 10 pounds per hour. Make una no vex oo,with all this tax bills etc..Shea I fit still save up to #400k month? Pls I need mature ansaa. Me na full time hustle I dey come do. Pls I need honest ansas. Tanks in advance

1 Like

Re: Some Tips About Living In Uk by INDUSTRIALFAN(m): 1:33pm On Mar 25, 2023
QuinModah:
Most especially central London
Exactly.

1 Like

Re: Some Tips About Living In Uk by INDUSTRIALFAN(m): 1:34pm On Mar 25, 2023
Smartgeek:
...Monthly
yes monthly and what I make in a month far superceeds these bills.
Re: Some Tips About Living In Uk by justwise(m): 2:06pm On Mar 25, 2023
hikiki:
Abeg oo,for those wen dey UK. As me and madam dey reason come that end. Madam Sha dey come for masters degree,me dey come into dependant. And I hear say Dem dey pay 10 pounds per hour. Make una no vex oo,with all this tax bills etc..Shea I fit still save up to #400k month? Pls I need mature ansaa. Me na full time hustle I dey come do. Pls I need honest ansas. Tanks in advance

Do you have kids?
Re: Some Tips About Living In Uk by hikiki(m): 2:10pm On Mar 25, 2023
justwise:

Do you have kids?
Yes,but the kids are not coming with us for the time being sir. Maybe in some months time. tanks
Re: Some Tips About Living In Uk by IbeOkehie: 2:13pm On Mar 25, 2023
prophetwis:
Still wonder why someone who can afford a comfortable life in Nigeria ,will nearly turn to a beggar all in the name of relocation.

Thank you very much!!!! I don't understand all the craze about relocation. UK where you will be 4th class citizen if you ever become citizen sef, always living in fear of deportation.

Nigeria is where the money is. Open any business in Nigeria, the population size and sheer need guarantees mega success within a year. Everything is cheaper in Nigeria too, the freedom to live life on your own terms is without bounds. I put it down to FEAR, that's what drives full grown men to leave their country to become servants in another man's land.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Some Tips About Living In Uk by justwise(m): 2:50pm On Mar 25, 2023
IbeOkehie:

Thank you very much!!!! I don't understand all the craze about relocation. UK where you will be 4th class citizen if you ever become citizen sef, always living in fear of deportation.

Nigeria is where the money is. Open any business in Nigeria, the population size and sheer need guarantees mega success within a year. Everything is cheaper in Nigeria too, the freedom to live life on your own terms is without bounds. I put it down to FEAR, that's what drives full grown men to leave their country to become servants in another man's land.

Which Nigeria is that?

6 Likes

Re: Some Tips About Living In Uk by justwise(m): 2:50pm On Mar 25, 2023
hikiki:

Yes,but the kids are not coming with us for the time being sir. Maybe in some months time. tanks

What is their age range if you mind me asking?

1 Like

Re: Some Tips About Living In Uk by Love800(m): 2:57pm On Mar 25, 2023
Can one set up a cooking business in the uk? Am a cook
nedekid:

I think the suffering is relative.
Usually it is with people that just get there, especially without money and have to scratch from the bottom. Over time their status improves. The good thing over all is that their kids get to go to proper quality schools. Even over time when the kids get naturalized, the sky is the limit. They have acess to student loans to enable them study what ever course.
Rent to me is the highest cost. I think food is quite cheap compared to their earnings. Another crazy cost too seems to be transportation and taxes. One drives within London and by the time you get home and open your computer, so many bills. Just for driving oh. Congestion charge, emissions charges etc, God helps you if you beat traffic light.
I think the ultimate is if one can find a business to setup. One of two of my paddies have such. They are living the good life. Wakeup anytime, go to the office at their convenience etc. But they have paid their dues. Over 24 years in the UK.

1 Like

Re: Some Tips About Living In Uk by hikiki(m): 2:59pm On Mar 25, 2023
justwise:

What is their age range if you mind me asking?
7 & 3
Re: Some Tips About Living In Uk by justwise(m): 3:09pm On Mar 25, 2023
hikiki:

7 & 3

Its not going to be easy from the moment the kids joins you and your wife, one of you has to work part time while the other look after those kids.

You need at least two bedroom house/flat for family of 4. Unless one of you have a good job that pays at least £3000 you will struggle to save.

4 Likes

Re: Some Tips About Living In Uk by hikiki(m): 3:31pm On Mar 25, 2023
justwise:

Its not going to be easy from the moment the kids joins you and your wife, one of you has to work part time while the other look after those kids.

You need at least two bedroom house/flat for family of 4. Unless one of you have a good job that pays at least £3000 you will struggle to save.
Hmmm Tanks for this wonderful explanation. Am greatful. But if it were to be for both of us alone,one can atleast save, right?
Re: Some Tips About Living In Uk by justwise(m): 3:39pm On Mar 25, 2023
hikiki:

Hmmm Tanks for this wonderful explanation. Am greatful. But if it were to be for both of us alone,one can atleast save, right?

Yes you will save at least £500 a month.

3 Likes

Re: Some Tips About Living In Uk by GeneralPula: 3:41pm On Mar 25, 2023
paskal16:
is canada a preferrable option than the uk in terms of standard of living ,taxes,expenses and what not,,,,.
I think so. Canada is better and Canada also has a an immigrant rule that’s more friendly than UK..

1 Like

Re: Some Tips About Living In Uk by CXLVII: 3:55pm On Mar 25, 2023
QuinModah:
Read their migration laws

They have programs just like Canada, and no matter how stringent it happens to be, it will be worth it at the end of the day.

2 Likes

Re: Some Tips About Living In Uk by nedekid: 5:31pm On Mar 25, 2023
Love800:
Can one set up a cooking business in the uk? Am a cook
I guess so. Possibly one has to first get a cooking job, understand the system before venturing out on your own.
I think cooks are in great demand. Last time I was in the UK, I noticed lots of restaurants advertising for cooks.

1 Like

Re: Some Tips About Living In Uk by StreetFight: 5:32pm On Mar 25, 2023
Ishilove:

All these with minimum wage??

Yes, I can give you evidences.. But, remove the 2023 model car, maybe a 2020 model with minimum wage
Re: Some Tips About Living In Uk by StreetFight: 5:40pm On Mar 25, 2023
hikiki:

You can save 1000 Pounds per month.

If your wife works for 20 hours per week as a student, that makes it 90 hours per month because there are four and a half weeks in a month. If the pay is 10 pounds per hour, that means that 90 hours will fetch her 900 Pounds.

You as a dependant can work up to 55 hours per week, Let even say you work only 40 hours per week., that makes is 180 hours per month. If the pay is 10 pounds per hour, that means that 90 hours will fetch her 1800 Pounds.

House rent = 1,000 Pounds (2 or 3 bedroom depending on so many factors)
Electricity = 200 Pounds (them is is high, but let use it)
Feeding = 200 Pounds
Transport = 100 Pounds

TOTAL monthly expenses = 1,500 Pounds
TOTAL Wage by husband and wife = 2,700 Pounds

I have evidences, but not for the public.

If there is anyone here who thinks my quote up there is fake, let the person come and say with his/her own analysis.

Don't let your village people hold you down, let's go and make money there, then come back and take over this government. You cannot wrestle power from Emilokan Tinubu or Atikulation Abubakar without lots of billions

11 Likes

Re: Some Tips About Living In Uk by StreetFight: 5:41pm On Mar 25, 2023
GeneralPula:

I think so. Canada is better and Canada also has a an immigrant rule that’s more friendly than UK..

Canada is a developing nation compared to Uk or US or Europe in general

1 Like

Re: Some Tips About Living In Uk by Ishilove: 6:10pm On Mar 25, 2023
StreetFight:

Yes, I can give you evidences.. But, remove the 2023 model car, maybe a 2020 model with minimum wage
Is the car hire purchase?
Re: Some Tips About Living In Uk by Ishilove: 6:11pm On Mar 25, 2023
StreetFight:

If your wife works for 20 hours per week as a student, that makes it 90 hours per month because there are four and a half weeks in a month. If the pay is 10 pounds per hour, that means that 90 hours will fetch her 900 Pounds.

You as a dependant can work up to 55 hours per week, Let even say you work only 40 hours per week., that makes is 180 hours per month. If the pay is 10 pounds per hour, that means that 90 hours will fetch her 1800 Pounds.

Feeding = 200 Pounds
Transport = 100 Pounds

If there is anyone here who thinks my quote up there is fake, let the person come and say with his/her own analysis.

Don't let your village people hold you down, let's go and make money there, then come back and take over this government. You cannot wrestle power from Emilokan Tinubu or Atikulation Abubakar without lots of billions
I hear you also pay gas and water bills, and dustbin (UK lawma)
Re: Some Tips About Living In Uk by Zahra29: 6:14pm On Mar 25, 2023
StreetFight:

Electricity = 200 Pounds (them is is high, but let use it
Feeding = 200 Pounds
Transport = 100 Pounds

[b]TOTAL monthly expenses = 1,500 Pounds

Lol, this is gross earnings. The non-student's earnings will be subject to income and NI tax at source. For 40 hours a week and £10 an hour, tax deductions will be approx £200 a month and these deductions will increase the more they work/earn

Council tax depending on location might be anything from £100 - £200 a month. Inflation is currently hammering food prices, so unlikely that 2 grown adults will spend only £200 a month on food.

You've also left out other bills which add up - phone bills, water bill (fixed rate or meter greatly affects how much you pay), TV license and if you drive -car insurance, MOT and road tax

If young children are involved - child care costs/ after school club activities , school lunches etc can easily add up to hundreds a month

What about saving to renew their visas? A straight forward visa renewal (ie no solicitor involved) can cost over £2k per person.

7 Likes

Re: Some Tips About Living In Uk by ezegenigbonine: 6:37pm On Mar 25, 2023
IbeOkehie:

As an ibo man in this country, are you not 4th class citizen in your own country?

1 Like

Re: Some Tips About Living In Uk by justwise(m): 7:02pm On Mar 25, 2023
StreetFight:

Feeding = 200 Pounds
Transport = 100 Pounds

You don't live in the UK, if at all you do then you either living with someone and doing under-table job.

Nobody that lives here work and pay bills will come up with such calculation.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Some Tips About Living In Uk by Ikemba007: 7:44pm On Mar 25, 2023
The good Lord will see you through

Uglyman029:

It is desperation and peer pressure. The pressure mounted on Nigerians last year by these people abroad no be here. At least in my own case, it was peer pressure.
most Nigerians here earn less than £2500. Before you pay your utilities, and housing billsw, this Money is gone. Not forgetting that you'll eat. Except the securities of life (bad things also happen here but they get solved unlike Nigerians which crime tarry for long),the quality of life I was actually living in Nigeria was far better than this UK. But I'm here already, shame no go catch us. Peace
Re: Some Tips About Living In Uk by hikiki(m): 8:10pm On Mar 25, 2023
Zahra29:

Lol, this is gross earnings. The non-student's earnings will be subject to income and NI tax at source. For 40 hours a week and £10 an hour, tax deductions will be approx £200 a month and these deductions will increase the more they work/earn

Council tax depending on location might be anything from £100 - £200 a month. Inflation is currently hammering food prices, so unlikely that 2 grown adults will spend only £200 a month on food.

You've also left out other bills which add up - phone bills, water bill (fixed rate or meter greatly affects how much you pay), TV license and if you drive -car insurance, MOT and road tax

If young children are involved - child care costs/ after school club activities , school lunches etc can easily add up to hundreds a month

What about saving to renew their visas? A straight forward visa renewal (ie no solicitor involved) can cost over £2k per person.
Oga,are you saying one can't save up to 250-300k monthly after all d so called taxes have been deducted? Y must of us are asking is....naija is tough!! Here in naija,most of us here can't save up to 100k monthly. Things have changed from bad to worse in the country. Rich r getting richer n dey poor dey suffer daily. Pls give me an honest answer
Re: Some Tips About Living In Uk by phemmyfour: 9:26pm On Mar 25, 2023
hikiki:
council tax, light, tv license, accomodation bills are waiting for you

1 Like

Re: Some Tips About Living In Uk by Love800(m): 9:41pm On Mar 25, 2023
Yea. Tank u.

But sometimes am thinking just working in one of the uk restaurants forever( dat is getting employed). But am afraid. The last time i check, cooks are paid $30,000 on a average yearly. Is dat a good pay?
nedekid:

I guess so. Possibly one has to first get a cooking job, understand the system before venturing out on your own.
I think cooks are in great demand. Last time I was in the UK, I noticed lots of restaurants advertising for cooks.
Re: Some Tips About Living In Uk by hikiki(m): 9:42pm On Mar 25, 2023
phemmyfour:
council tax, light, tv license, accomodation bills are waiting for you
So you mean nothing like savings for UK,u dey yarn say as I dey hustle UK dey collect am. Be real bruh
Re: Some Tips About Living In Uk by nedekid: 9:53pm On Mar 25, 2023
Love800:
Yea. Tank u.

But sometimes am thinking just working in one of the uk restaurants forever( dat is getting employed). But am afraid. The last time i check, cooks are paid $30,000 on a average yearly. Is dat a good pay?
I think 30k is the average salary in the uk. But I think you should prepare yourself to take a course in cooking. Their certificate should make you earn more.
Anyway, folks that stay there permanently may be able to advice you better.
Re: Some Tips About Living In Uk by slimanyd: 10:16pm On Mar 25, 2023
Coldie:
Tips about living in the UK.

First thing try ur best to get a permanent job anywhere. Then focus on agency as a side gig for weekly wages.

That monthly salary helps u save and plan ur life better

U said agency as a side gig. Agency in what sense sir. Abeg. Share me tips o. I don't understand that aspect well.
Re: Some Tips About Living In Uk by Love800(m): 10:26pm On Mar 25, 2023
Tank u

I appriciate
nedekid:

I think 30k is the average salary in the uk. But I think you should prepare yourself to take a course in cooking. Their certificate should make you earn more.
Anyway, folks that stay there permanently may be able to advice you better.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

Lagos Features In City Of Johannesburg Campaign, Online Comments Turn Nasty / Welcome To Tanzania / Meet Flt Lt Piyo Piyo, The Co-pilot Of The Crashed King Air 350 In Abuja

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.